Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The whole "lol USA so late to the War" poo poo is absolute bullshit.

Every Ally was absolutely fine up until the point that they themselves were attacked.

You what. Poland is part of Britain now?

Like, Britain and France didn't push an aggressive offensive into Germany straight away - probably remembering how that turned out in 1914 - but when you declare war on someone you are obviously saying 'come invade my poo poo now'. For France in particular, by the way, this is 20 years after another traumatic war in which they'd lost millions of men - a war which the US also turned up late to, lost very few men in comparison, and nonetheless patted themselves on the back as the saviours of democracy.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
losing that many people in six months in our second foreign engagement ever was a big deal

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

losing that many people in six months in our second foreign engagement ever was a big deal

Not saying it wasn't. France and to a lesser extent the UK, however, went through American Civil War levels of trauma for four years and were still willing to risk doing the same all over again when they could have sat back and...not done that.

Edit: second foreign engagement. though? There's the Barbary wars, the invasion of Canada in 1812, the Mexican-American war, and the invasion of the Philippines in 1898 off the top of my head. That's if we don't count the Native Americans.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 27, 2018

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Gnoman posted:

And then proceeded to do essentially nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoney_War

The only significant British contributions to the war between the invasion of Poland and the invasion of the Low Countries was landing troops in Norway.

There was a fair bit of fighting at sea, but that was it - and most of those actions were caused by Germany pushing.

The of course massive land fighting power and massive standing army for pushing into the black heart of the German Enemy possesed by the United Ki-

poo poo.

Its a weird take on the matter, given that Britain did precisely what it had planned to do, which was take the Germans to town at sea but the idea of the BEF pushing into germany is an absolute farce. You can take potshots at the French if you like as the major standing army was nominally their bag, but i can sympathise with their motives and constraints that lead to them not doing that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ennnh I mean yes people can overstate things but the prevailing US attitude (that gets pushed by US mass media) that US troops in Normandy saved the world, and the credit US conservatives take for winning the war when they were fighting FDR tooth and nail for isolationism, and the erasure of the Russians and the Chinese, and the pretty intensely true fact that only the US grew economically in the war while everyone else shrunk a lot... It's not relatively a big thing to quibble about.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GUNS posted:

If only someone had told you how to not get hosed up lol

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Should have listenened to Woodrow Wilson, stayed at home out of it

All this carrying on in Europe took valuable time away from important exploits at home, like valorising the KKK and building statues of confederates

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The great war actually helped with that. We ran out of dudes to name army bases after and went “welllll poo poo- Fort Lee it is!”

Also I can maintain dumb hot takes about ww2 while having family that was jewing it up in Alsace back then- I don’t need to be told what the wars did to France.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what if you just posted better

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The great war actually helped with that. We ran out of dudes to name army bases after and went “welllll poo poo- Fort Lee it is!”

Also I can maintain dumb hot takes about ww2 while having family that was jewing it up in Alsace back then- I don’t need to be told what the wars did to France.

You were still hella late though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm still bemused at both sides ignoring each others advice despite this being the second time around and last time men died because of their arrogance.

Also, the idea of the mid tier armed flabby BEF somehow punching their way through Germany to help Poland seems oddly funny to me. I mean we like to think the Nazi's would have been terrible enough to let things happen but sadly reality occurs.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Polyakov posted:

Its a weird take on the matter, given that Britain did precisely what it had planned to do, which was take the Germans to town at sea but the idea of the BEF pushing into germany is an absolute farce. You can take potshots at the French if you like as the major standing army was nominally their bag, but i can sympathise with their motives and constraints that lead to them not doing that.

I get pissed about the overall incoherence of French policy toward Germany. I understand why they wanted to avoid another war, but thinking that they were going to do so through the infallible two-step plan of "impose harsh terms" followed by "welcome Germany back to the family of nations when they rearm in violation of said treaty" was never realistic.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
edit: wrong war, i'm sleep deprived

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 27, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

WW2 related, what was the fate of the Red Army soldiers cut off during the Nazi invasion who fought or worked with partisan bands? did they get a hero's welcome/pass or the usual Stalinist cruelty after the war? or did both happen because life can be cruel?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

bewbies posted:

For something like Hearts of Iron, there isn't a whole lot of training value there. The game has a lot of engine limitations, and it is designed to be accessible to a mass audience, not to be brutally realistic. In other words, they eliminate a lot of the severe irritants that commanders and staffs have to deal with real world in order to make the game tolerable for your average guy with a computer. The engine seems to have some mechanical flaws as well....one think I remember is you could dominate the world's oceans by building a giant fleet of cruisers. Building divisions is also really...weird, and very divorced from how things are in the real world.

Could you elaborate on that?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I imagine unlike video games in real life you are dealing with graft, politics of the civil and military kind, budget and just the weird social nature of humans to make it a lot harder to organize such things.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

JcDent posted:

Could you elaborate on that?

For starters there's an optimum number of battalions for a division to have due to how the combat is calculated

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't see what's so surprising about how the US constructed a nationalistic myth about how we were the stars of World War 2. Every other country constructed nationalist myths about it, didn't they? The biggest war in modern history doesn't get a neutral academic perspective from the public.

Just the US has more international media dominance so we get to export our myths for the foreign markets to see.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

And you just pile battalions together into a division, with no reference to regiments or brigades. In real life chain of command within the division is not a trivial matter.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I get pissed about the overall incoherence of French policy toward Germany. I understand why they wanted to avoid another war, but thinking that they were going to do so through the infallible two-step plan of "impose harsh terms" followed by "welcome Germany back to the family of nations when they rearm in violation of said treaty" was never realistic.

They weren't really keen on this bit at all, to be honest, but in order to do something about it they needed the backing of the rest of the international community, particularly Britain, and they didn't get it.

Basically, the divisions between the Allies post-1918 give the worst possible result; a relatively chill Versailles and then you might avoid Nazism and revanchism taking over in Germany; conversely, going Full Morgenthau and/or occupying the country any time it does anything that looks dodgy, well, the long-term results are probably not going to be good but in the short term Germany would never be strong enough to launch a new war.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 27, 2018

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Zorak of Michigan posted:

And you just pile battalions together into a division, with no reference to regiments or brigades. In real life chain of command within the division is not a trivial matter.

Been playing Ultimate General Civil War and I just mash my brigades together with no regards to division and corps organization. It's much easier to win when you have a bird's eye view of the map and can send orders instantly with a few clicks.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

I imagine unlike video games in real life you are dealing with graft, politics of the civil and military kind, budget and just the weird social nature of humans to make it a lot harder to organize such things.

There’s an old SNES game called Pacific Theater of Operations where you periodically have a strategy negotiation minigame in which you compete with the politicians and the European theater commander for strategy goals and resource allocation. It was a neat gimmick that I feel like I never see Grand strategy games do enough.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

feedmegin posted:

They weren't really keen on this bit at all, to be honest, but in order to do something about it they needed the backing of the rest of the international community, particularly Britain, and they didn't get it.

Basically, the divisions between the Allies post-1918 give the worst possible result; a relatively chill Versailles and then you might avoid Nazism and revanchism taking over in Germany; conversely, going Full Morgenthau and/or occupying the country any time it does anything that looks dodgy, well, the long-term results are probably not going to be good but in the short term Germany would never be strong enough to launch a new war.
Also the French had other decent policy reasons to switch gears and allow at least the initial steps of German military rebuilding, which had the perverse effect of making things worse and making it harder to intervene against the later stages they really didn't like.

Right after the Great War, the French decided not to pursue the wholesale breakup of Germany, but wouldn't have shed any tears if it had happened anyways. It didn't happen then, and by the mid 20s the French had gotten a good look at what collapsing empires meant, between Austo-Hungary and the Ottomans, and the partial dismemberment of the Russian Empire. They were a lot less sanguine about having that sort of thing happening across the border by then. Even worse - in the mind of the French governments of the time at least - was a red revolution taking over and a Communist Germany teaming up with the Soviet Union.

So with their allies not interested in backing direct intervention, normalizing the Weimar Republic and letting its military reorganize and increase its effectiveness to at least head off internal revolt was the least of several evils. It backfired badly on everyone, obviously.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

There’s an old SNES game called Pacific Theater of Operations where you periodically have a strategy negotiation minigame in which you compete with the politicians and the European theater commander for strategy goals and resource allocation. It was a neat gimmick that I feel like I never see Grand strategy games do enough.

DCB has this if you play as the Germans

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Squalid posted:

hold up:

what the heck is happening in this avatar: :psyduck:

I also would've started WW2 if I was this bad an artist.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

sullat posted:

Been playing Ultimate General Civil War and I just mash my brigades together with no regards to division and corps organization. It's much easier to win when you have a bird's eye view of the map and can send orders instantly with a few clicks.

Video game 19th century war is easy due to everyone from the ground to command being a healthy well armed and equipped telepath.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

bewbies posted:

The Virginia Historical Society isn't...bad, as southern civil war history concerns go. They've actually, albeit gently, started to push back pretty hard against the lost cause and states' rights stuff. Which, probably unsurprisingly, led to a bunch of angry southerners starting a new historical society that focused hard on the "southern perspective" (war was not about slavery and gallant southern heroes didn't own slaves and all that).

I dunno why or how politicians got involved but I'm guessing their motivations were not as academically pure as the VHSs were.

Also I just now realized that excellent movie Wargames came out like 3 months before the Petrov thing happened.

I have a lot of friends that have worked there over the years, family members with close relationships with the staff, and spent awhile there doing research in their archives for a graduate internship about a local history thing and they generally try their darndest to present as even handed and non-hagiographic a depiction of the confederacy as they can, but they definitely aren't perfect. They do a better job with colonial history and are improving on general 20th century stuff, they worked with a professor of mine some on a project he did about the second KKK

Of interest to this thread, though, is they're one of the best repositories for primary material from the civil war and antebellum Virginia history. A guy I know did his thesis on confederate officer elections before 1863 and found a lot of interesting firsthand accounts there.

Phoneposting so it's hard to get into at length but despite these cosmetic improvements their institutional conduct loving sucks. The new director has declared a pivot towards bringing people in for exhibits (siphoned off the art museum, he hopes) and in doing so has gutted some important research and fired a bunch of committed historians in order to hire someone half their age for half the salary and twice the work. It sucks and I have a great deal of personal enmity towards that kinda conduct even if it was precipitated by external budget cuts

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Playing Ultimate General: Gettysburg against someone who has no idea of how ACW-era tactics work is quite an experience.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kemper Boyd posted:

Playing Ultimate General: Gettysburg against someone who has no idea of how ACW-era tactics work is quite an experience.

Didn't know Ambrose Burnside was a gamer

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kemper Boyd posted:

Why, did you play against Ambrose Burnside?

edit: FUUUUUUUCK :stare:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I almost went with Joesph Hooker

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Also the French had other decent policy reasons to switch gears and allow at least the initial steps of German military rebuilding, which had the perverse effect of making things worse and making it harder to intervene against the later stages they really didn't like.

Right after the Great War, the French decided not to pursue the wholesale breakup of Germany, but wouldn't have shed any tears if it had happened anyways. It didn't happen then, and by the mid 20s the French had gotten a good look at what collapsing empires meant, between Austo-Hungary and the Ottomans, and the partial dismemberment of the Russian Empire. They were a lot less sanguine about having that sort of thing happening across the border by then. Even worse - in the mind of the French governments of the time at least - was a red revolution taking over and a Communist Germany teaming up with the Soviet Union.

So with their allies not interested in backing direct intervention, normalizing the Weimar Republic and letting its military reorganize and increase its effectiveness to at least head off internal revolt was the least of several evils. It backfired badly on everyone, obviously.

The two real big problems for the French post WWI were that they owed the US a shitton of money and the US was demanding repayment in full, and that the US refused to entertain the notion of ensuring French security against Germany, instead preferring to keep the former Allies at arms length across the Atlantic. This meant that the French had to squeeze every cent out of Germany that they could through reparations and occupied territory in order to keep up debt repayments, while at the same time making sure Germany couldn't rearm by whatever means necessary. Obviously this did not work out well in terms of Franco-German relations in the long term.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

I almost went with Joesph Hooker
imagine the burnside/hooker matchup

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hbxJSH64eM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxZQ1ODN1iU&t=2s

military music :byodood:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

imagine the burnside/hooker matchup

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Right after the Great War, the French decided not to pursue the wholesale breakup of Germany, but wouldn't have shed any tears if it had happened anyways. It didn't happen then, and by the mid 20s the French had gotten a good look at what collapsing empires meant, between Austo-Hungary and the Ottomans, and the partial dismemberment of the Russian Empire. They were a lot less sanguine about having that sort of thing happening across the border by then.

Caveat of course - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhenish_Republic

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

The two real big problems for the French post WWI were that they owed the US a shitton of money and the US was demanding repayment in full, and that the US refused to entertain the notion of ensuring French security against Germany, instead preferring to keep the former Allies at arms length across the Atlantic. This meant that the French had to squeeze every cent out of Germany that they could through reparations and occupied territory in order to keep up debt repayments, while at the same time making sure Germany couldn't rearm by whatever means necessary. Obviously this did not work out well in terms of Franco-German relations in the long term.

It is kind of amazing just how horribly the US handled WWI. If they had just stuck out of it and let both sides just grind themselves down to dust then step in for ceasefire talks then Europe would not have become so much kindling for it all to be repeated twenty years later. Even having the US being involved as it was but sticking around to the end and trying to ensure stability could have done a world of good. Instead they came in and made a killing of the war and then stepped right back out of the equation whilst still demanding Europe pay the bill as soon as possible.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Yeah, breaking off the Ruhr was sort of the middle ground option that would provide most of what the French wanted from a breakup of Germany without the chaos of a complete dismemberment. But even as a caveat the French were pretty lukewarm about the matter - it just made things too complicated.

Honestly the broad conclusion is that the French had too many competing interests and their governments too little political capital to ever have a coherent policy towards Germany in the interwar period, even just in the realm of national security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

It is kind of amazing just how horribly the US handled WWI. If they had just stuck out of it and let both sides just grind themselves down to dust then step in for ceasefire talks then Europe would not have become so much kindling for it all to be repeated twenty years later.

[citation needed]