Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was shocked for the second I thought it was an Atom cowl the birds were eating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So Hal's starring in his own book.
Baz and Jess are also in books
Kyle's been mentioned in Titans Solicits
John's on the Justice League
Guy is the only one I can't account for. And someone is wearing a GL symbol who's dead.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I still can't believe that Norm Breyfogle died. I had the honor of meeting him six years ago at my local comic convention, he was one of the kindest men that I've ever met, always eager to tell stories of his time at DC. He was one of a kind.

Rest in Peace.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Doomsday Clock #7: Johns has no idea how to do anything other than a surface-level imitation of Moore's Doctor Manhattan and it's loving awful. If you don't care about the JSA / LoSH beforehand then Doomsday Clock is going to do nothing to give you a reason to, and yet the characters keep turning up as if we're meant to give a poo poo. Batman and the Joker continue to be in the book because it's published by DC.

And Frank's art looked off too

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 27, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just got reminded that the Batman/The Maxx crossover starts next week :toot:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Doomsday Clock #7: Johns has no idea how to do anything other than a surface-level imitation of Moore's Doctor Manhattan and it's loving awful..

Isn't the whole of DC basically guilty of this. Like the Watchmen was basically Moore going "Comics shouldn't turn into this," then DC was like "Let's turn comics into this."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I still don’t get the point of Doomsday Clock. Is it in-continuity with the DC universe? Is the plan to bring over Watchmen characters to the DC fold? Like why if any of this happening?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I still don’t get the point of Doomsday Clock. Is it in-continuity with the DC universe? Is the plan to bring over Watchmen characters to the DC fold? Like why if any of this happening?

It's Johns's pet project and I think that's his intent at least. If it will actually go there is another question entirely though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Johns the biggest name writer working right now who only writes superhero comics, or only has written superhero comics?

It's fair enough if that's what he likes but discussion of Doomsday Clock (I've not been reading it) makes me consider that I have no idea what non-superhero comic Johns would write.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He wrote a horror comic for Wikdstorm. the Possessed. it wasn't great.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Finished Heroes in Crisis this morning. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. Only thing I'm mad about are the deaths which will probably get fixed. But really King should just stick to Batman and Mr. Miracle.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There's a Watchmen HBO series coming up and DC wants to show Alan Moore how much they appreciate him by giving his characters to Johns.

Doomsday Clock is pretty meandering and I don't really like the fact that the Marionette and Mime can go toe to toe with Batman. They're from a universe of fairly mundane street level superheroes, a Blue Beetle analogue, Nite Owl, is essentially their top tier outside of Dr. Manhattan, who is a god, and I guess Ozymandias, who is super fast and supposedly super smart, but these guys are literally cutting up Batman.

I'm pretty sure this is just a way for them to reintroduce the JSA after they fix the timeline and bring it back into the older DC Comics status quo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Doomsday Clock is Johns getting back at Moore for saying that his entire career is based on a 12 page story Moore told.

V for Vendetta probably joining the DCU in 2021.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Re: Doomsday Clock #7, "Sometimes I forget what's been and what will be,"...no you don't! That's literally the whole point of Dr. Manhattan's temporal awareness! Ahhh!

Also, Dr. Manhattan cannot travel in time. That is not one of his abilities. Has he been hanging around in the DCU since the Big Bang just doing his historical tweaks on Alan Scott and Superman's parents in linear fashion?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Android Blues posted:

Re: Doomsday Clock #7, "Sometimes I forget what's been and what will be,"...no you don't! That's literally the whole point of Dr. Manhattan's temporal awareness! Ahhh!

Also, Dr. Manhattan cannot travel in time. That is not one of his abilities. Has he been hanging around in the DCU since the Big Bang just doing his historical tweaks on Alan Scott and Superman's parents in linear fashion?

Seems like it. He can't travel in time, but he can perceive all moments of his life at the same time. So the fact that he can't see anything after Superman comes at him means that either he's dead or that entire universe is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Doomsday Clock is Johns getting back at Moore for saying that his entire career is based on a 12 page story Moore told.

V for Vendetta probably joining the DCU in 2021.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/PasteMagazine/status/1045304981082050560

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I wonder if Poison Ivy will show up in Heroes in Crisis after her arc in Batman

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Rhyno posted:

Owning Alan Moore for saying my career is based on his works by continuing to base my career on works by Alan Moore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darth Nat posted:

Owning Alan Moore for saying my career is based on his works by continuing to base my career on works by Alan Moore.

It works in a Geoff Johnsian sort of way. But it's more of a "I'll associate my name with your most famous works" kind of pettiness.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1045362268983185411

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ironically, that had the full cooperation of Alan Moore.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

I wonder if Poison Ivy will show up in Heroes in Crisis after her arc in Batman

That's pretty much a guarantee.
Now would she know the word 'puddler'? Hmmmmmmm..

edit: Vic Sage Question coming up in Action Comics: https://www.instagram.com/p/BoOuInrn8Vu/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 27, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I have absolutely no idea why Johns thinks anyone would give the slightest littlest bit of poo poo about...I literally have to force myself to remember their names here...Mime and Marionette.

The central concept behind Doomsday Clock was really interesting and could've made for some ballsy (:haw:) shenanigans. What we've been getting instead is...nothing that anyone reading this series would actually care about seeing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BrianWilly posted:

I have absolutely no idea why Johns thinks anyone would give the slightest littlest bit of poo poo about...I literally have to force myself to remember their names here...Mime and Marionette.
They are my favourite part of the book. They're a very well-worn idea but the execution is pretty fun, helped a lot by the way Frank draws the Mime.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Mime and Marionette are legit cool villains and I'd have loved to have seen them premier in another book like Detective Comics where they'd fit a bit better. But in Doomsday Clock, they seem like a strange D-plot meant to lead into something bigger, but in their first cross with the A-plot, they're largely not all that significant in the whole grand scheme of things.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So when is the next next reboot because oh boy Heroes in Crisis sounds dire.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Heroes In Crisis" sounds more like a charity for homeless disabled army veterans or former Médicines Sans Frontiéres employees suffering from PTSD than a potentially thrilling comic book crossover event. :(

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Android Blues posted:

Dr. Manhattan also says he was wrong when he said nothing ever ends. Take that, Moore!

Xelkelvos posted:

Mime and Marionette are legit cool villains and I'd have loved to have seen them premier in another book like Detective Comics where they'd fit a bit better. But in Doomsday Clock, they seem like a strange D-plot meant to lead into something bigger, but in their first cross with the A-plot, they're largely not all that significant in the whole grand scheme of things.

Invisible guns don't seem to fit in with the Watchmen universe. Neither does Mothman being able to create a working set of wings, really.

Don't forget the short-lived animated series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Action Jacktion posted:

Dr. Manhattan also says he was wrong when he said nothing ever ends. Take that, Moore!

Invisible guns don't seem to fit in with the Watchmen universe. Neither does Mothman being able to create a working set of wings, really.

Don't forget the short-lived animated series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

That was amazing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well, DC walking back on Black Label happened faster than I thought

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1045675398690983940

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well, DC walking back on Black Label happened faster than I thought

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1045675398690983940

Lmao just let it all hang out, DC. Just let it free.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's something to do with that letter of protest signed by Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale and Ben Affleck stating that Batman's penis is actually MUCH LARGER than illustrated in the comic.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Fear of a Bat Dick

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I feel like I can probably make a profit on a comic I bought now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dickless Comics

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe that somehow a comic featuring one panel of a dong is becoming the most limited/valuable comic of 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

TwoPair posted:

I can't believe that somehow a comic featuring one panel of a dong is becoming the most limited/valuable comic of 2018

Lol what 2018 have you been living?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

My former employer say them shooting up in price so they very stupidly pulled all the preorder copies and put them on Ebay. They told their customers they were shorted. Then while shopping for a copy, one of my friends/former customers found their listing for them and put them on blast for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
2018: Hitting Ebay to get a hold of Batman's Dick.