Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

LingcodKilla posted:

What’s a 12 year old doing posting in the forums?

Look, Gramps, I know $10 was a lot back in your day, but times have changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosetoucher
Jul 11, 2017

heck. heckin heck.
Reagan deregulated selling garbage to children when he was in office, starting that huge wave of cartoons that were obvious ads for crap. If he could see the millions of 9 year olds spending their parents' money on microtransactions in video games he'd probably be jizzing in his grave

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Fallout 4 progress:

Finished the main quests in Far Harbor. Very much enjoyed it.

I dug through all DiMA's memories and let Nick see that yes, they have a past. The facial expressions from Nick were fantastic. I could really see emotion on his face. Too bad the main game couldn't do that too. Anyway, after finding DiMA's skeleton in the closet, I got him to confess to Far Harbor. Wooops, sorry Nick. Easy come, easy go right? In order to make sure Far Harbor stayed safe, I nuked the Nucleus. Maybe next play through I'll side with the children and see how it goes.

Now off to Nuka World I suppose!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
When playing through I found the most ethical (for lack of a better word) solution was to lose the keys to the USS Democracy and the windmills then keep Far Harbor's dirty little secret. Then have Dima give the Children of Atom the same treatment. It seemed the only way to stop the island from self destructing or otherwise getting a bunch of people killed for no reason.

Hopefully when the fog recedes again everyone will have cooled off.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Re on the fallout is not for kids: I watched my friend play F1 through fir the first time age 9. We sat the last bit for like 6-7 hours straight So it was around midnight, in a dark room, and then we run into Master.

Not much sleep was had that night.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Suave Fedora posted:

Is there a sense on the likelihood that goons will be able to ruin meet on the same maps to coordinate memorable in-game experiences?

Why wouldn't people be able to play together in this multiplayer game? I have friends who are also users of this website and we are going to play this game together, we are normal people though so ruining a game for children is not on our list of stuff to do. I'm sure that once the game is released people will post their GTs (GT: chizmack) so you can find people to play with if you don't already have any friends.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

Why wouldn't people be able to play together in this multiplayer game? I have friends who are also users of this website and we are going to play this game together, we are normal people though so ruining a game for children is not on our list of stuff to do. I'm sure that once the game is released people will post their GTs (GT: chizmack) so you can find people to play with if you don't already have any friends.

I only ask because I hadn’t heard or read anything about the in-game grouping system, dedicated servers or guilds. Either way, I’d rather play with goons as none of my friends play this game. Just would make it more fun for me.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Suave Fedora posted:

I only ask because I hadn’t heard or read anything about the in-game grouping system, dedicated servers or guilds. Either way, I’d rather play with goons as none of my friends play this game. Just would make it more fun for me.

Don't worry dude, there will be plenty of goons to play with. The perma-salty people you see posting 24/7 about how much they hate fallout are not a good representation of the normal people that actually play and enjoy the games.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Beta news:

Xbox One: 10/23
PS4 & PC: 10/30

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Jose Oquendo posted:

Beta news:

https://bethesda.net/en/article/XUtJrgiCgU6WqMASW8w0I/fallout-76-our-future-begins-together-in-beta

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Two whole weeks of bug testing to bring you that classic Bethesda feel.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Well at least they'll allow streaming so folks on the fence can at least see the game in action before they decide to jump in or not.

I mean, with two whole weeks it's not like the game will change much between the beta and launch.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah, two weeks of stress testing with fixes doesn't seem like a lot of time to both test and fix the issues the test finds.

It's a little better that they do have other people playtesting it right now under NDA, but still.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The opening video is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0MnePcXxkI

It's... not good? Like, it's fun to watch, but the framing of it makes the game feel really horny about Americana without any sense of criticism and dark irony.

That was already a problem in Fallout 4, but at least there the sense of an idyllic way of American life ended in a pretty abrupt and brutal way and was followed by exploration in a world that would often still bear the scars of the fascist government that existed in the US prior to the nuclear holocaust.

Granted, the game was pretty flip-floppy about it and didn't really do enough to show the less marketable stuff, so, fingers crossed, there is still some of that in Fallout 76.

But man, who am I kidding, let's go back to talk about griefing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, after publicly moaning about cross-play, they're apparently not implementing it for Fallout 76.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

well thats $60 saved at least

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Lambert posted:

Also, after publicly moaning about cross-play, they're apparently not implementing it for Fallout 76.

At launch. They haven’t ruled it out for the future. Sony just relented on this and it’s Fotnite only for now and 76 is seven weeks out. I’m sure they have bigger priorities right now than scrambling to react to Sony.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 27, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

Beta news:

Strangely enough those are also the review scores

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

FO: 76 seems like a wish of "I wish there was a Fallout game I can play with friends" off of a monkey's paw.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

J-Spot posted:

At launch. They haven’t ruled it out for the future. Sony just relented on this and it’s Fotnite only for now and 76 is seven weeks out. I’m sure they have bigger priorities right now than scrambling to react to Sony.

The way Pete Hines tweeted about this, it really doesn't sound like they'll ever implement cross play.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 27, 2018

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Don't worry dude, there will be plenty of goons to play with. The perma-salty people you see posting 24/7 about how much they hate fallout are not a good representation of the normal people that actually play and enjoy the games.

To be fair there are also people who have looked at the proposed game and rightfully thought "this looks like it's going to be poo poo but I'll wait for someone dumber with their money to prove it for me" and that do enjoy 3, NV, and 4 to varying degrees

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Lambert posted:

The way Pete Hines tweeted about this, it really doesn't sound like they'll ever implement cross play.

https://twitter.com/dcdeacon/status/1045298757959651330?s=21

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

It is just cosmetics and if they are direct purchase and no boxes is fine. The cosmetics most likely will not give gameplay advantages

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Oh, didn't see this tweet. That does sound better.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

It is just cosmetics and if they are direct purchase and no boxes is fine. The cosmetics most likely will not give gameplay advantages

Cosmetics for real money in a $60 private server survive'em'up is still pretty hosed up, IMO.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Megazver posted:

Cosmetics for real money in a $60 private server survive'em'up is still pretty hosed up, IMO.

Good thing no game has ever done this before so we can rage at this.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Good thing no game has ever done this before so we can rage at this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I find it entirely possible to not like something lovely, even if a different game already did it before.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Premium currency is still awful even if it is just cosmetics because it gives the publisher free reign to make arbitrary package deals for x amount of currency that never perfectly lines up with the in-game prices. So you might only want to spend enough currency for something worth a dollar but sorry the currency packages only start at $5! And then there is nothing keeping them from making arbitrary pricing shortcuts by making other items more rare. You want an X-01 helmet? That's 35,000 Atoms! You could earn that through playing the game or you could get our 50,000 atom megapack today for just $49.95.

It's artificial scarcity and it is bullshit. Not to mention that they could also slow down the rate of currency gain in-game to pressure you into buying a pack to fast track your desire for shiny things.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
it's just for cosmetics but the catch is the game uses the Oblivion character creator by default

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even if it is just cosmetics it is still a system put in place to nickel and dime players by introducing artificial scarcity to pressure them into paying for something. That way they make more cash and don't have to bother about putting things like actual secrets or special items in the game world itself. Nobody will shell out for premium cosmetics if you can find the same item in a fixed area on the map.

Ain't gonna be no Remnant power armor at the deathclaw promontory in this game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Spend our premium currency to mute 12 year olds shrieking at you

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Bethesda has a cosmetic system in ESO. I expect this to be similar to that.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Bethesda has a cosmetic system in ESO. I expect this to be similar to that.

Confirmed $50 bowler cap for Mr. Handy cosmetic pet which also costs $50

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
A bunch of online games let you buy currency with real life money, that doesn't mean it's gonna automatically suck.

Everything else about the game does, though. Yeeeeeeesh.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ApeHawk posted:

A bunch of online games let you buy currency with real life money, that doesn't mean it's gonna automatically suck.

Everything else about the game does, though. Yeeeeeeesh.

No, it doesn't mean it will suck but it is a big red flag for people who try to balance the quality of the game against how invasive the implementation of microtransactions is.

I liked playing Mankind Divided but the microtransactions and cutting the main plot in half absolutely destroyed my goodwill towards the series.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The opening video is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0MnePcXxkI

It's... not good? Like, it's fun to watch, but the framing of it makes the game feel really horny about Americana without any sense of criticism and dark irony.

That was already a problem in Fallout 4, but at least there the sense of an idyllic way of American life ended in a pretty abrupt and brutal way and was followed by exploration in a world that would often still bear the scars of the fascist government that existed in the US prior to the nuclear holocaust.

Granted, the game was pretty flip-floppy about it and didn't really do enough to show the less marketable stuff, so, fingers crossed, there is still some of that in Fallout 76.

But man, who am I kidding, let's go back to talk about griefing.

Honestly I just don't understand how that opening is connected to this game. A vault of hundreds of people who have all lived together in what appears to be relative harmony for twenty five years has a huge party and then opens its doors for its inhabitants to go out and rebuild a society...and there's 23 people who may or may not be hostile to you across the whole map and no other humans at all. Where are the old people? Dunno. Where are the kids? Ehh. Where's the town the hundreds of inhabitants build? Doesn't exist.

After a giant party everyone just leaves the vault and fucks off never to be seen again? What?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

They’ve said the cosmetic items are the only paid micro transactions in the game and they added them in there to allow DLC to be free for the life of the game. Seems reasonable enough. I’m not sure why you’d want to spend money on cosmetic items in a first person game but if you you really care about how other players see you then whatever.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Premium currency is still awful even if it is just cosmetics because it gives the publisher free reign to make arbitrary package deals for x amount of currency that never perfectly lines up with the in-game prices. So you might only want to spend enough currency for something worth a dollar but sorry the currency packages only start at $5! And then there is nothing keeping them from making arbitrary pricing shortcuts by making other items more rare. You want an X-01 helmet? That's 35,000 Atoms! You could earn that through playing the game or you could get our 50,000 atom megapack today for just $49.95.

It's artificial scarcity and it is bullshit. Not to mention that they could also slow down the rate of currency gain in-game to pressure you into buying a pack to fast track your desire for shiny things.

Yes yes we all know how an arcade works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah we do and it sucks feeding coins into a machine designed to suck them from you when you're just trying to play a game at home you've already paid $60 for.

Studios have also revealed they are not above poo poo like using their matchmaking to group you with people who have spent a poo poo ton of money to "encourage" you to buy stuff.

lmao

bango skank posted:

well thats $60 saved at least

Anyway this is gonna sound like a NMA post but you might as well stick a fork in the Fallout IP for now and hope they don't bungle Elder Scrolls by not being able to leave a single red cent on the table even if it means making GBS threads the game up.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 27, 2018