Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jedit posted:

Roy was rebellious, but there's no hint of a replicant revolution in 2019. Quite the reverse; Roy was acting purely for himself and his group. Organised replicant rebellion didn't come along until later.

A group mutiny is explicitly an organized rebellion. But, yes, as I said, he didn't start "the revolution" in the way we see in 2049. He's part of the general theme of people rebelling against their makers/owners/natures/etc. that gets made so dully literal with the revolutionary group.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

A group mutiny is explicitly an organized rebellion. But, yes, as I said, he didn't start "the revolution" in the way we see in 2049. He's part of the general theme of people rebelling against their makers/owners/natures/etc. that gets made so dully literal with the revolutionary group.

Yea I mean there are various degrees of organization that a revolution can have but I think if you say that a group of slaves violently overthrew their masters that's at least a rebellion. And then after a while what starts as a rebellion can become a revolution. Batty wasn't purposely trying to start an organized revolution but that is in fact what his actions caused.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I mean there are various degrees of organization that a revolution can have but I think if you say that a group of slaves violently overthrew their masters that's at least a rebellion. And then after a while what starts as a rebellion can become a revolution. Batty wasn't purposely trying to start an organized revolution but that is in fact what his actions caused.

Yeah, in a general sense. But there’s no continuity of organization such that he started “the revolution.” He contributed to the general undercurrent of resistance.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, in a general sense. But there’s no continuity of organization such that he started “the revolution.” He contributed to the general undercurrent of resistance.

It's similar to Cloud Atlas where one slave's struggle ends up inspiring a revolution but she is executed and never gets to see it happen. The fact that Batty didn't anticipate the future doesn't make his actions any less important to that future.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Roy Beatty’s contributions strike me as being a fair bit more incidental than the story you’re referencing in Cloud Atlas. His actions are primarily important because they happened to get Deckard and Rachel in a room together, and because he killed Tyrell out of personal outrage. His motivation for rebelling was just to survive. His causal relationship to the later revolution, where one of their inspirations is the replicant-born child, is fairly tenuous.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 15, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The girl from Cloud Atlas has no desire to start a revolution either, she simply wants to assert herself as someone deserving of human rights, that she is someone who will no longer "be subject to criminal abuse". It's mostly the same with Batty, he feels he is deserving of life the same as any other person and he decides to take it by force.

Batty's importance is just as much due to what he teaches Deckard than anything else, which is also true in Cloud Atlas. After her death, people see what she had done and become inspired to do better, just like Deckard when he is saved by Batty.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sure. But in Cloud Atlas you have people directly inspired by Sonmi's manifesto. Batty saving Deckard who hides his daughter who helps inspire a group of revolutionaries seems more tenuous. Sonmi's broadcast is literally a sacred text for a group of people. Batty is one of any number of people who contributed to the state of the world in 2049 through the unforeseen consequences of his actions. He's not a central figure in a revolution the way Sonmi is. But, yeah, he was a significant actor, so there's reverberations from what he did.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Right, I mean it's not a 1:1 comparison, there are differences. In the Blade Runner films it's really just Deckard and the audience who know the importance of Roy Batty, but he's extremely important regardless. I'm really not concerned with the semantic argument of whether he "started" or "sparked" or "inspired" a revolution, but I don't think you can argue he wasn't a critical piece.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I mean, he killed god and saved the father of the miracle baby. I don’t think anyone is arguing he didn’t change the world. Is there some larger point you’re trying to make?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I mean, he killed god and saved the father of the miracle baby. I don’t think anyone is arguing he didn’t change the world. Is there some larger point you’re trying to make?

Not really, just shootin the poo poo. Bored at work mostly. More specifically though I was responding to this post from last night after I went to bed:

Jedit posted:

Roy was rebellious, but there's no hint of a replicant revolution in 2019. Quite the reverse; Roy was acting purely for himself and his group. Organised replicant rebellion didn't come along until later.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 15, 2018

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

It's a big reason why I still feel a little icky about the film's sexual politics. If they can be that unrealistic with upending the class divide they could've been just as unrealistic with evolving society's treatment of women. V's argument of "I wanted to hold up a mirror to our times in order to provide commentary on how society treats its women poorly, and providing a counterpoint to that would have lessened its impact" is a stark contrast to the revolution stuff.
Thing is, the revolution stuff doesn't really come off as optimistic either. Think about how they stalked K, and their first ask of him after revealing themselves is that he should murder someone. Maybe they can win, who knows, but even if they did they're not about to usher in a utopia.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

What's the thread consensus on what K is thinking right after he tosses the scrap of paper and looks at his gun in the "Hello, handsome" scene?

"I must rescue Deckard to show him his daughter because I'm a real boy and a good person"

is the obvious surface answer based on his later actions, but, not a very satisfying take.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

pmchem posted:

What's the thread consensus on what K is thinking right after he tosses the scrap of paper and looks at his gun in the "Hello, handsome" scene?

"I must rescue Deckard to show him his daughter because I'm a real boy and a good person"

is the obvious surface answer based on his later actions, but, not a very satisfying take.

That scene is his final realization of the artifice that is Joi (*joy*) and his resolve to face Luv (*love*) head on. He realizes he'd been grieving for an imaginary woman that served as the object of his fantasies, full stop. She was never real, she was merely the vessel of what he thought he wanted, and now he's free to face Luv--literally love: an unstoppable, relentless, elemental force outside of his control--so that he can transport Deckard--his ancestor in spirit if not in truth, the responsibility of the past to the future--to his daughter, who crafts the dreams of the next generation in a room that looks, uncoincidentally, like a womb.

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 23, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i loved this movie and i'm glad the rumor i heard that scott made them say deckard was a replicant was untrue.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Blood Boils posted:

But he did exactly that in SS?? I can agree with this for 2049, but then I don't think anyone was super memorable in it, even though it's a good movie. The real star is the sound and the image.

I don't know why so many of y'all get distracted by the real lives of performance artists, I mean 9 out of 10 are weirdos and creeps regardless of talent, it's best not to pay attention to that poo poo. Even if Leto wasn't an rear end in a top hat, his name is Jared that's no one you should want to be friends with!

Free Jared Fogle

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Groovelord Neato posted:

i loved this movie and i'm glad the rumor i heard that scott made them say deckard was a replicant was untrue.

I was impressed they managed to make Deckard a relatively big part of the story while explicitly not confirming him being a human or replicant.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'm all in favor of more Bowie or Combs or Glover, but I don't think anyone really could have saved the Wallace role as written. If these things are really so slow and expensive to produce that human-style childbirth would be a game-changing improvement and the most important thing going on in your life, maybe don't break one in service of the monologue that only your fanatically loyal assistant is watching anyway. You'd need better lines to sell that as anything but hopelessly goofy no matter how weird you play the character.

Thinking about this... He stabbed the new replicant; are we shown that this kills her? Maybe Wallace sends her off to be stitched back up and put to whatever duty she was designed for.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Thinking about this... He stabbed the new replicant; are we shown that this kills her? Maybe Wallace sends her off to be stitched back up and put to whatever duty she was designed for.

lol

It's greatly implied that she died. Moreso than K at the end.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Think about it like this: replicants are a are human beings. The difference is just a class label. Is this something that would make sense for a human being?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Think about it like this: replicants are a are human beings. The difference is just a class label. Is this something that would make sense for a human being?

While that's true thematically and in the context talking about replicants as sentient beings(which they are), if we're just specifically talking only about physical abilities then there are some replicants who are more physically capable then any human being. They were purposely designed that way.

But yes that replicant that Wallace sliced is definitely dead.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It'll probably all be typical spinoff nonsense revolving around attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion or whatever, but it sounds like we're getting a new Blade Runner expanded universe.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

feedmyleg posted:

It'll probably all be typical spinoff nonsense revolving around attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion or whatever, but it sounds like we're getting a new Blade Runner expanded universe.

I'd be surprised if anything more substantial than a handful of one-off comic books come out of this

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I went to see this twice in theatres, absolutely loved it, and the soundtrack just popped up in the sidebar of Youtube and I'm falling in love with it all over again. I've got a decent 4k HDR TV, where's the best place to buy/stream it from? Amazon?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Bardeh posted:

I went to see this twice in theatres, absolutely loved it, and the soundtrack just popped up in the sidebar of Youtube and I'm falling in love with it all over again. I've got a decent 4k HDR TV, where's the best place to buy/stream it from? Amazon?
Best streaming quality would be Apple, but I doubt it would hold a candle to the UHD Blu-Ray.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

You can't really stream it properly in HDR unless you go through Apple(I'm not even certain that they have it in 4k but they probably do), so the best option is the blu ray.

4k HDR is really not very useful if you don't have a 4k blu ray player. There's just not enough streaming content yet.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Just reminded of this movie the other day because it contains probably my favorite match cut of the last decade.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Danger posted:

Just reminded of this movie the other day because it contains probably my favorite match cut of the last decade.

It has many of them. Which one?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

BarronsArtGallery posted:

It has many of them. Which one?

The cut from the campfire to the city at night.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I got massive, euphoric levels of ASMR during that cut. Seeing this movie for the first time in IMAX should be a requirement. That scene's composition, and maybe more importantly the score that accompanies it is just masterclass cinema firing on all cylinders. Because of this, I'm frantically anticipating Villeneuve's take on Dune.

It's comparable to the bone -> space station cut in 2001 Space Odyssey.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Is the music that plays in the scene where K is eating outside and meets the prostitutes on the OST?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

With a good pair of open back headphones (I got some DT 990 Pros) the audio and soundtrack in this film are especially incredible. It's about the only thing I would say was superior about watching it at home.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I recently rewatched the movie and got into an argument about this: are the Wallace replicants build to be more obidient than the ones from the Nexus series? The movie just says that "they obey" and my impression is that they are just kept in line better through constant psychological monitoring and conditioning, but other than that, they are just as dangerous. That would fit in perfectly with the whole movie theme of walls and prisons that exist only in our minds.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
They're the same. Whatever replicant tech is, it can't keep them from developing hopes and dreams and other "undesirable" human traits. If they could, all the psychological stuff and the built-in life timer from the first movie would be irrelevant.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You can clearly see Luv experiencing natural emotions that she's fighting against a number of times. Whether she's fighting against them out of a loyalty to Wallace (and a desire to be "the best one") or because she's programmed to is technically ambiguous. But the former makes a whole lot more sense to me.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
K references, a couple of times, that his memories are fake. He knows they're implanted, but they still have their effect. It's a nice idea that his generation can see the form of control, and seems to accept it themselves. Dovetails nicely with the implanted memories of the child.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe this is old news, but apparently there is a 4 hour cut of this movie that exists. Which was news to me. Don't know if I'd watch it or not. Thought it was plenty long even though I loved it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

veni veni veni posted:

Maybe this is old news, but apparently there is a 4 hour cut of this movie that exists. Which was news to me. Don't know if I'd watch it or not. Thought it was plenty long even though I loved it.
There's a 4 hour cut of this movie only in the sense that there's a 3 or 4 hour cut of most movies. That's juts the cut they had before they started slicing it down to size.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

veni veni veni posted:

:homebrew:

I'd watch the ~Director's Cut~ and they'd be idiots not to wait a few years and cash-in just like the original.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Luckily the directors cut of this movie was the theatrical. But I'd be so down for an alternate cut where we get the OG score and more of whatever slow ponderous footage they wanna give me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I recently rewatched the movie and got into an argument about this: are the Wallace replicants build to be more obidient than the ones from the Nexus series? The movie just says that "they obey" and my impression is that they are just kept in line better through constant psychological monitoring and conditioning, but other than that, they are just as dangerous. That would fit in perfectly with the whole movie theme of walls and prisons that exist only in our minds.

That doesn't explain the couple times (one in the film, one in a promotional short) where we see Wallace kill replicants who don't struggle or fight back in any way. Conditioning or monitoring only goes so far.

• Locked thread