Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ate all the Oreos posted:

i added my phone explicitly for 2fa and immediately started getting push notifications about gosh come check out what your friends are doing!!!

iirc i told you in this thread and you were like "yeah i told them not to do that but they didn't listen"

yeah, I thought they went back to the good idea, but I guess not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My Linux Rig posted:

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if part of the reasoning behind the cost of adding 2fa was they could gather phone numbers to sell

I mean this is Facebook after all

nah, it was done the right way for a long time, and there are very few people who use 2FA and don’t have a registered number otherwise. expensive way to get a few ten-Ks of numbers, versus many others

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Slanderer posted:

This is from a few years ago, but it goes deep into why improving the NY subway is so hard (even simple things, like adding countdown clocks). It's extremely good.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/11/why-dont-we-know-where-all-the-trains-are/415152/

As everyone in NYC knows the reasons are MTA fat cats and Unions, and that is just a long article saying the same but with insight that overengineered projects are a ticking time bomb.

quote:

The MTA has had several different generations of countdown clocks and they started proactively installing them in a bunch of stations way before they were ready, so there are some places that have 3 different countdown screens but only 1 works. Also the contract for their installation consists of 'install it at the center of the platform' so there's a bunch of platforms that only have 1 entrance and it's at the very end, so you have to walk halfway down the platform to see when your train is coming. They're like 800x2000 LCDs and somehow the RFP didn't specify MTA Standard Helvetica so they all use Arial and the design is ugly as poo poo.
This guy did a Very Good redesign https://adamfishercox.com/countdown-clocks-for-the-mta/

Yay, going from functional to effective digital signage is a PITA. I've gone through so much of this crap, you need a long process of quick iterations and that is completely opposite to what big projects want.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

mrmcd posted:

Like "I'm in sales at a new job now have some swag" or literally just a cardboard box of drives with "NOT A ROOTKIT" scrawled on the side?

Although both are pretty funny I guess.

little column a, little column b

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

this is, how shall we say, not news

as a reminder, anyone can advertise with Facebook

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

uefi rootkits aren't just for pocs anymore https://www.welivesecurity.com/2018/09/27/lojax-first-uefi-rootkit-found-wild-courtesy-sednit-group/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Potato Salad posted:

this is, how shall we say, not news

as a reminder, anyone can advertise with Facebook
it's news because facebook employees are constantly tripping over themselves to tell you that this isn't a thing facebook would ever do and you're just being paranoid, it's not news because every single time they're proven wrong

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why are people even using facebook at this point?

if you need to keep tabs on family just make a dummy account or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anthonypants posted:

it's news because facebook employees are constantly tripping over themselves to tell you that this isn't a thing facebook would ever do and you're just being paranoid, it's not news because every single time they're proven wrong

I don’t think there are any FB employees in this thread

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Stanley Pain posted:

lots of people use messenger or instagram and i bet there's people in this thread who use whatsapp. that doesn't even include anything that's uses a facebook account to log in.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 27, 2018

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Stanley Pain posted:

There's no such thing as a dummy account. They track you even without an account and they know who you are no matter what.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Stanley Pain posted:

my cousin has cancer and posts updates on facebook

oh and sometimes i need to hit facebook API endpoints for testing and you have to have a facebook account to use the api

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

anthonypants posted:

I first started using this after a FB employee suggested that I can get the additional value of phone data during a free seminar

they literally only care about driving engagement

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

There's no such thing as a dummy account. They track you even without an account and they know who you are no matter what.

:thunk:

tell me more

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

my cousin has cancer and posts updates on facebook

oh and sometimes i need to hit facebook API endpoints for testing and you have to have a facebook account to use the api

so using a dummy account in this case would work right? I'm honestly curious why people would willing give their information to facebook for little or no payback.

i ask this as someone who has next to 0 social media exposure.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

:thunk:

tell me more

if anyone you've ever known tags you in a photo, which they can do even if you don't have an account, facebook remembers that and correlates it with other things and all sorts of fun shenanigans

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

to get back to the dummy account point, i registered one once using totally fake information and it immediately started recommending i become friends with my mom and a bunch of people i went to highschool with. the only way i can imagine this happened is previously i had registered as myself briefly (i don't remember why) and then totally deleted that account, but it must have fingerprinted my browser or something and then a goddamn year later went "lol im on to you fucker"

e: to be clear at the time i didn't register as myself and add a bunch of friends and then delete the account, i literally just made one under my real name and some basic info, friended nobody, and deleted it a few weeks later. then a goddamn year after that made a fake account and had it recommend i become friends with a bunch of people i know

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 27, 2018

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ate all the Oreos posted:

if anyone you've ever known tags you in a photo, which they can do even if you don't have an account, facebook remembers that and correlates it with other things and all sorts of fun shenanigans

*packs up and heads for the mountains*

so someone could tag an image of stanley pain, and say this is stanley pain and then facebook now knows who stanley pain is but wouldn't be able to link it back to an actual FB account? interesting.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

so someone could tag an image of stanley pain, and say this is stanley pain and then facebook now knows who stanley pain is but wouldn't be able to link it back to an actual FB account? interesting.

i mean i think they'd need to correlate a bit more information than a single image but yeah something like that

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

another fun one is that if someone else uploads their contacts and gives facebook your number, facebook can then give your number to advertisers but you aren't allowed to know facebook has your number and is sharing it, since it is someone else's data

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
google "shadow profile" if you want all the horrible details. facebook is maintaining a profile on every individual they are aware of whether they have signed up for facebook or not. this is separate from a personal facebook account if they have one and they won't let you see it

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
all of this makes me really happy i'm a hermit living on a mountain without a FB/Google/whateverthefuckgram account. glad my paranoia actually worked for a change :shobon:

in all seriousness though that is some pretty loving bullshit levels of data mining.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
facebook should only be used over tor, under a fake name, with no facebook contact with anyone you know in real life

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

haveblue posted:

google "shadow profile" if you want all the horrible details. facebook is maintaining a profile on every individual they are aware of whether they have signed up for facebook or not. this is separate from a personal facebook account if they have one and they won't let you see it

Still have an acquaintance who says, "But I never gave them permission to make an account for me" :smug:

This is someone who wants to work in infosec in the future

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lysidas posted:

facebook should only be used over a vpn to a nation with strict nonextradition of data and set up by a national, under a fake name, with no facebook contact with anyone you know in real life

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.welivesecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/ESET-LoJax.pdf

Uh oh.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The case for code integrity

Use secure boot, people

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Update your bios and figure out a plan to do so on your entire fleet. There have been numerous conditions discovered where secure boot could be bypassed due to sloppy implementations

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Microsoft should really be checking sigs on everything system related, especially internal autorun on boot crap.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

Microsoft should really be checking sigs on everything system related, especially internal autorun on boot crap.

lol how you gonna check a signature on code that's already run

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Microsoft should also be throwing warnings on every single piece of unsigned code that gets executed on their platform but I don't think they're very serious about security

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

isnt the first step of secure boot measuring the firmware

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

idk what you mean. autochk isn't already running before windows runs it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah you have to have a chain of trust running back to the moment of power on

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah uefi is responsible for clearing the boot loader but everything after that is on Microsoft including things like autochk which are always run on boot.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Microsoft should also be throwing warnings on every single piece of unsigned code that gets executed on their platform but I don't think they're very serious about security
you can set windows 10 to make msis do this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Shaggar posted:

Temptation....to engage....rising....

Ah gently caress it.

Do you know what LoJack for laptops is?

Shaggar posted:

yeah uefi is responsible for clearing the boot loader but everything after that is on Microsoft including things like autochk which are always run on boot.

nhgnnnnnnnnn

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

actually, I met Device Guard engineers Tuesday, I'm curious just how early in the boot sequence VSM is created, I'll go harass them again with this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

Temptation....to engage....rising....

Ah gently caress it.

Do you know what LoJack for laptops is?

nhgnnnnnnnnn

yeah its a sketchy uefi module installed by manufacturers for tracking stolen laptops. its essentially a rootkit and exploits a hijacking of a windows system component (autochk) in order to install itself in the os. It is equally easily hijacked by other, more nefarious malware like the one presented in the article.

If Microsoft were to have signed this and other components in the boot sequence that particular exploit would not be possible.

The separate task of the malware modifying the firmware with its own rootkit requires misconfiguration or exploitation of secure boot. That's on manufacturers and admins to handle properly, but if Microsoft is not checking signatures on the stuff windows is running you may still run into bad ideas like computrace/lojack.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
this sounds familiar. is this the same kind of poo poo lenovo was pulling to push their crapware onto windows installs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Lysidas posted:

facebook should only be used over tor, under a fake name, with no facebook contact with anyone you know in real life

you know you can’t hire hit men and hookers on FB right?

• Locked thread