Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's relatively easy to manage the secrecy of a comic book plot point. Movie plots still remain pretty secret and parts of movies are often filmed out in the open, involve thousands of people, and need the plots literally written and printed out as physical copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lobok posted:

It's relatively easy to manage the secrecy of a comic book plot point. Movie plots still remain pretty secret and parts of movies are often filmed out in the open, involve thousands of people, and need the plots literally written and printed out as physical copies.

Yeah the only real leaks are stories Marvel wants out there. Usually revolving around deaths and resurrection.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
:wow: Just read Zdarsky's last issue of Spectacular. Absolutely loved it. Over the course of his run, I felt like it lost itself, but god drat he ended the run strong.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

digging the hell out of Al Ewing’s Immortal Hulk; hoping he can stay on the book for a long while as it’s my favorite take on the Jolly Green Giant already

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I always hope Ewing can stay on a book because he's really good. Unfortunately his books always get cut criminally short. Hulk is the first time he's on an A-List title though for a character that will probably sell regardless of who's writing so let's hope that helps.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

Someone on my Twitter asked this question and I'm curious. Has there ever been a not unpopular hero that died and Marvel just decided "This death is actually permanent, they're not coming back"? I would think Mar-Vell counts, even though he's been brought back multiple times, it's always been temporary.

Dr Druid is still dead. I am sure there are other b and c list characters that are dead because no one remembers them. Like I think most of the thunderbolts that Graviton murdered are still dead.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dr.Magnificent posted:

Dr Druid is still dead. I am sure there are other b and c list characters that are dead because no one remembers them. Like I think most of the thunderbolts that Graviton murdered are still dead.

Actually isn't he hanging out in Wierdworld these days?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Waffleman_ posted:

Someone on my Twitter asked this question and I'm curious. Has there ever been a not unpopular hero that died and Marvel just decided "This death is actually permanent, they're not coming back"? I would think Mar-Vell counts, even though he's been brought back multiple times, it's always been temporary.

I believe DC killed off Danny Chase forever (of course literally nobody other than Marv Wolfman liked him). :v:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dr.Magnificent posted:

Rest in peace, Synch.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah that's what I thought. And he's bad now.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

X-O posted:

I always hope Ewing can stay on a book because he's really good. Unfortunately his books always get cut criminally short. Hulk is the first time he's on an A-List title though for a character that will probably sell regardless of who's writing so let's hope that helps.

I'm still miffed that Rocket only lasted 6 issues

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

pubic works project posted:

Yeah that's what I thought. And he's bad now.

He was always bad. It's just that now he's a bad guy.

Seriously, Dr. Druid's big thing as an Avenger was getting pissed off that a woman was in charge, mind-controlling everyone into thinking he was The Best so they'd make him Chairman, and then getting seduced by Nebula because he is just terrible. Dr. Druid was always bad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I thought he was still dead in that and just hanging out as a ghost but then it's been some time since I read Weirdworld...

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
We're talking the son Dr. Druid, right? Didn't he die during Hickman's Avengers? I remember him being kind of a loser, but not really a bad guy when he was in the Secret Warriors. I'm pretty sure he showed up as a ghost recently, but I don't recall anything about Weirdworld.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was a different character who was not a master of AV connections.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Is anyone reading Champions under the new writer? If so, how is it? I like the cast and what I've seen of the art looks really nice, so I'd like to check it out. But if isn't much better than Waid's run then I probably won't bother.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

JordanKai posted:

Is anyone reading Champions under the new writer? If so, how is it? I like the cast and what I've seen of the art looks really nice, so I'd like to check it out. But if isn't much better than Waid's run then I probably won't bother.

The first arc was a little rough but it's hitting its stride nicely now. It reminds me a lot of David and Nauck's Young Justice.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's been better than waids run so far imo, and except for the title of this last issue being ill advised zub hasnt stuck his foot in his mouth saying really dumb poo poo like waid did so thats a plus

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I gotta admit, I was excited when I first heard the concept and was kind of liking it for an issue or two but Coates has got to get off the Space Wakanda stuff pretty soon or I'm done with the book. It's just not very good at all.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

X-O posted:

I gotta admit, I was excited when I first heard the concept and was kind of liking it for an issue or two but Coates has got to get off the Space Wakanda stuff pretty soon or I'm done with the book. It's just not very good at all.

Yeah it's really dragging. I'm probably sticking with it because I love the art and I do like space stuff. But drat...it looks like this is going on for another 12 issues.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

That sounds a lot like my complaints about his Black Panther run. Pages and pages of people sitting around having opinions and the occasional big speech. He's real good with world building and giving characters a voice, but he needs an editor to nudge him into writing an actual concise monthly story and not a fictional academic paper.

Is his Captain America run any better?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's early going but his Cap is great so far.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Heathen posted:

That sounds a lot like my complaints about his Black Panther run. Pages and pages of people sitting around having opinions and the occasional big speech. He's real good with world building and giving characters a voice, but he needs an editor to nudge him into writing an actual concise monthly story and not a fictional academic paper.

Is his Captain America run any better?

actually the current arc doesnt really have much of that at all lol, theres plenty of action going on

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kelly Thompson's writing the next Captain Marvel run. Carmen Carnero on art.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/02/arts/captain-marvel-new-comic-series.html

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 2, 2018

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I love Carnero's work on X-Men Red and the preview images look great, and if anyone can get Carol on track, it's most likely Kelly Thompson, so this is strong creative team with Bonvillain and the editors assigned.

Man, if this doesn't work though... step up Jessica Drew? Give Shulkie another go? (I don't mean to be a bummer, and they'd probably keep pushing Carol due to the MCU anyway.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Metalshark posted:

I love Carnero's work on X-Men Red and the preview images look great, and if anyone can get Carol on track, it's most likely Kelly Thompson, so this is strong creative team with Bonvillain and the editors assigned.

Thompson seems to want to make sure her characters are likable, so I've got high hopes. And she's got a good voice for banter.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

For a second I was like "wtf, they're re-starting her series AGAIN?" but then I realized that her current series is a 12 issue maxi-series.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

"Carol Danvers was always part Kree" (or at least that's my guess for the big reveal the series has been teasing) is a five issue miniseries.

Thompson is one of my favorite writers at Marvel so of course I'm excited to see what she can do with Carol, and bringing Jess Drew back is just the icing on the cake

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

howe_sam posted:

"Carol Danvers was always part Kree" (or at least that's my guess for the big reveal the series has been teasing) is a five issue miniseries.

Thompson is one of my favorite writers at Marvel so of course I'm excited to see what she can do with Carol, and bringing Jess Drew back is just the icing on the cake

Oh it's 5? I have no idea why I thought it was 12.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Metalshark posted:

Man, if this doesn't work though... step up Jessica Drew? Give Shulkie another go? (I don't mean to be a bummer, and they'd probably keep pushing Carol due to the MCU anyway.)

Hopefully, Carol's good in her movie and then they can just steal her characterization for the comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waffleman_ posted:

Hopefully, Carol's good in her movie and then they can just steal her characterization for the comics.

Or what's more likely is they will quadruple down on how terrible she is.

I have a friend who publishes a local arts magazine and is part of a large female empowerment convention and she asked for recommendations for Carol comics and I was like "don't read any, see the film in a vacuum or it's going to be a bad time." She went ahead and read a bunch and now she's like "oh god is this movie going to be terrible?"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

I refuse to be excited about this

I refuse to be excited about this

This is a good team but i don't wanna have my heart broken

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

These last rounds of Venom trailers have really cemented in my mind how extreme the 90s was and how fuckin goofy this is going to be with absolutely zero connection or build up to Spider-Man.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Teenage Fansub posted:

Does Kelly Thompson just straight up write everything at Marvel now? She gets to write a series about one of the mayor characters during the time their movie comes out. That's huge!
Remember when Hawkeye was canceled and people speculated that she wont be around anymore?

Seriously, how many concurrent comics are that? This, Mr. & Mrs. X, West Coast Avengers, Jessica Jones, I think there was another upcoming X-men book, the Nancy Drew book. Am I forgetting something here?

I hope the comic will show the best sides of the Boss of Space.

Just gonna quote myself here.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I have no clue what Thompson's plans are, or if she really has any. But I am hopeful that she will pull off something. She managed to make me like Captain Marvel, Medusa and even freaking Dazzler so I do know she can do it.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 2, 2018

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Jessica Jones needs a new villain besides Purple Man.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

^burtle posted:

Jessica Jones needs a new villain besides Purple Man.

Well, there's purple baby daughter now. As everyone knows, the true villain is parenthood.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Well, there's purple baby daughter now. As everyone knows, the true villain is parenthood.

This is exactly what led me to my post.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

^burtle posted:

This is exactly what led me to my post.

Yeah, I figured. And you're certainly right about that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Does Kelly Thompson just straight up write everything at Marvel now? She gets to write a series about one of the mayor characters during the time their movie comes out. That's huge!
Remember when Hawkeye was canceled and people speculated that she wont be around anymore?

Seriously, how many concurrent comics are that? This, Mr. & Mrs. X, West Coast Avengers, Jessica Jones, I think there was another upcoming X-men book, the Nancy Drew book. Am I forgetting something here?

every Marvel comic is written by Kelly Thompson, Greg Pak or a pseudonym of one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

The upcoming one is Uncanny's relaunch, which you would think is the biggest X-book she could be on. Except she's also on the X-Men Christmas special.