Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I'm about to hit best friend with my friend tomorrow and want to optimize the xp with a lucky egg. Friendship level doesn't update until we both open the gifts for that day or whoever opens it first? I'm also on the east coast and he's west coast if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I_Socom posted:

It's called "quick catching": https://www.polygon.com/pokemon-go/2018/2/13/17007798/pokemon-go-catching-tips-glitch

I don't find it that useful as I tend to appraise everything - especially on community days when you want to evolve a decent IV 'mon to get the exclusive move. However it's definitely worth knowing about if you want to quickly hoover up a bunch of pokes and have time to appraise / bin them later.

It's tremendously useful if you're a passenger in a car, since the extra few seconds it takes to get through the menus is the difference between entering a new encounter or not as you drive away.

My girlfriend and I have a pretty good system down. I have a Gotcha so I simply enable that and cruise around busy streets that are dense in stops and pokemon while she does the quick catch method. We're moving slowly enough that my gotcha can pick up a ton of pokemon and items for me, and by doing quick catch she can fit in about twice as many catches compared to normal.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I'm about to hit best friend with my friend tomorrow and want to optimize the xp with a lucky egg. Friendship level doesn't update until we both open the gifts for that day or whoever opens it first? I'm also on the east coast and he's west coast if that makes a difference.
The first interaction of the day after midnight updates it. So, whoever opens it first triggers the update for both. You don't actually get the XP until you get the full screen notification though, so there is often a bit of a delay.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Entropist posted:

The first interaction of the day after midnight updates it. So, whoever opens it first triggers the update for both. You don't actually get the XP until you get the full screen notification though, so there is often a bit of a delay.

If you're me, this delay can be up to two days. Don't gently caress around with other activities in the time the full screen splash normally pops up.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 27, 2018

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Teeter posted:

It's tremendously useful if you're a passenger in a car, since the extra few seconds it takes to get through the menus is the difference between entering a new encounter or not as you drive away.

My girlfriend and I have a pretty good system down. I have a Gotcha so I simply enable that and cruise around busy streets that are dense in stops and pokemon while she does the quick catch method. We're moving slowly enough that my gotcha can pick up a ton of pokemon and items for me, and by doing quick catch she can fit in about twice as many catches compared to normal.

My dude. Please talk to me about your vehicular Gotcha experience in detail. I'm thinking about getting one for my bicycle rides. How well does it track at 15 mph? Do you get blackouts? Tell me everything. :allears:

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Unsinkabear posted:

My dude. Please talk to me about your vehicular Gotcha experience in detail. I'm thinking about getting one for my bicycle rides. How well does it track at 15 mph? Do you get blackouts? Tell me everything. :allears:

A Gotcha and a bicycle is turbo mode for Pokemon Go. If you're in a reasonably dense area of spawns and you're not backtracking it's a catch attempt every few seconds. It'll burn through pokeballs fast. And with all the pokemon to choose from the Gotcha won't ever have a chance to spin a stop to resupply.

I keep my phone mounted on my handlebars so I can manually spin stops and check gyms. Biking around looking for open gyms is also a great way to hit your 20 defender cap, assuming you're in an urban area.

Fair warning, you won't hatch any eggs or earn any buddy candy at 15mph.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Unsinkabear posted:

It's great at making attempts to catch pokemon at nearly any speed. On a bike, you will definitely struggle to keep your pokeballs stocked as it'll churn through them constantly. I wouldn't be surprised if you pulled in an additional 50k stardust per week just from all the extra trash it will suck in for you.

Spinning pokestops is a little spotty but should be fine at 15mph. I tend to stick to heavy downtown areas because it's guaranteed to get a decent amount of items every time I stop at an intersection.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

That's fine! I registered my friendship number on https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/ so now I have like 150 gift-happy euros showering me in packages. Aside from gifts of my own to send out, I need stardust more than I need items right now. If it wants to churn through my almost 600 regular pokeballs it's more than welcome. Sounds like this is a toy I "need"

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
First EX Raid pass! :w00t:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FistEnergy posted:

First EX Raid pass! :w00t:

Just got one too. Deoxys? Or is it being kept a mystery?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
lmao I just got my first EX raid invite. It's in 20 minutes and I'm at work.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I got an EX raid pass!!

It’s for 1pm on a work day. :negative:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

BGrifter posted:

I got an EX raid pass!!

It's a huge crock of poo poo. Like how are you going to send out same day EX raid passes?

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
A friend and I just got one with about an hour notice, for 4:22 - 5:07. I hope this isn't the new standard for passes.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
The invitation reads "You and one Ultra Friend are invited to an EX Raid"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

pubic works project posted:

lmao I just got my first EX raid invite. It's in 20 minutes and I'm at work.

Same. Mine is in half an hour and near my house when I'm stuck at work.

Good to see the ex raid system is working as intended!!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

It's a huge crock of poo poo. Like how are you going to send out same day EX raid passes?

Mine is for Monday, but I work 9-5 on the opposite end of town. I do take my lunch break from 1-2, but it’s a 15-20 minute drive each way depending on traffic and I do need to eat.

I *might* be able to make it work if I switch my coffee breaks around. But I should probably just let it go. :sigh:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wait what you mean ex raids still suck poo poo through a straw!?!?!?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mine is during work but it's at a Gym that's only 30 seconds from my desk :cheers:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Mine is during work but it's at a Gym that's only 30 seconds from my desk :cheers:

I hate you

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Calm down peeps with raids happening now. It's polling the time of the current egg if it has one. The ex raid is Oct 1 or 2 and a tweet says the time will update after the current normal raid ends.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I got one for Tuesday for a gym 2 mins from my house, but I’m supposed to be at work 15 miles away at the time. Now I have to find an excuse to work from home.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Mine is Monday at 1pm which is awesome because I can be there with 2 accounts

also if you got a date/time for today that's glitched and will update when the current raid at that gym ends. Don't go today.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://mobile.twitter.com/NianticHelp/status/1045408949850247172

Whoops

Of course those are days I'm out of town :smith:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

lmao why make an EX raid during the week and not on Saturday or Sunday? Don't they realize that the average person works?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

lmao why make an EX raid during the week and not on Saturday or Sunday? Don't they realize that the average person works?

Probably because people already play a bunch and raid on the weekends and this will "drive week day user engagement" or some such poo poo.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Nope I play exclusively during work hours in an area 45 minutes from my house so this in fact Owns

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

tangy yet delightful posted:

Probably because people already play a bunch and raid on the weekends and this will "drive week day user engagement" or some such poo poo.

It’ll drive week day EX passes expiring for the most part. If they’re gonna make it a weekday at least make it 6-8pm or something.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Ex pass days rotate through the whole week. Usually doing like 1-3 ex raids in a particular day, then rolling forward to the next day. It'll be a while till we have weekend ex raids probably.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh poo poo, they fixed clockblocking! :woop:

The visual bug is a fair (and I assume temporary) tradeoff for no longer getting screwed out of EX raid progress. This is awesome.

e: Someone in the local discord just posted a picture of a pass that got cancelled after the time updated. Hmmm. Guess we'll need to wait and see what happens here.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 27, 2018

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

My EX pass is for a raid 5 minutes from my home, which is coincidentally 30 minutes from work on Monday at 3PM. Really useful. Luckily I'm ultra friends with a fair amount of the raiders nearby, I can give one my extra phone and they can tether and use my friend pass.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

BGrifter posted:

I got an EX raid pass!!

:same:

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

At least deoxys is a duo in normal form. Makes it easy to share with a friend, do the raid without anyone else, and max out on balls. I got like 18 balls the other day with all the bonuses from damage, gym control, best friend...

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
loving lol, I got the notification on my phone that I had an ex-raid invite. "Oh neat!" I think to myself, it's at the gym that's around the corner from my office. Then I check the time, and confirm the date on my phone, and realise this thing is in 15 minutes. And I'm working from home due to a mild cold. And 15 minutes is just enough time to get my shoes on and go if I loving hustle.

Fortunately my raid group is people at work, and I work at the Ubisoft Montreal office which is huge, so there was a big crowd of people all excited for what they assumed was going to be Deoxys, being a 5 star ex-raid and all.

I've never heard a crowd say "Oh it's Mewtwo" in such a disappointed tone.

I did learn how to invite people to ex-raids though, there's blue text on the pass that says INVITE, it's actually clickable, and brings up a list of your Ultra friends, then you send the invite. It says that once you invite, you can't undo it, even if the friend rejects the invite. So I suppose make sure you don't have people accidentally invite the same person.

edit: just got notice that the ex-raid passes we all received have been cancelled, wtf?

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 27, 2018

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I had one of the raid invites for a tier 5 in 20 min, a 5 min walk from my work. I busted down there with hella people. Dragged a coworker who I'm 30 days friends with down and invited her, but turned out to be mewtwo. It took my premium raid pass too, even though it showed the ex raid pass was taken.

Beastyfella posted:

Calm down peeps with raids happening now. It's polling the time of the current egg if it has one. The ex raid is Oct 1 or 2 and a tweet says the time will update after the current normal raid ends.
That's what the tweet said, but then I got a notification after the current raid was cancelled that my ex-raid was cancelled. They game me two premium passes and 1000 stardust.

Edit they gave premium not ex

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 27, 2018

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Fritzler posted:

I had one of the raid invites for a tier 5 in 20 min, a 5 min walk from my work. I busted down there with hella people. Dragged a coworker who I'm 30 days friends with down and invited her, but turned out to be mewtwo. It took my premium raid pass too, even though it showed the ex raid pass was taken.

That's what the tweet said, but then I got a notification after the current raid was cancelled that my ex-raid was cancelled. They game me two ex raid passes and 1000 stardust.

Yup. Same.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Ex raid passes, or premium passes?

I won't be surprised if they messed it up on the first try. Hopefully people get another ex pass from this

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yep, so apparently clockblocking is still an issue but now it's manifesting in a different way and giving out consolation prizes.

Niantic is gonna get a LOT of poo poo for this, especially for today's wave of surprise fake EX raids.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Maybe all these EX raid invites are actually a new kind of Pokemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I did hear chatter from other people at the raid that there were people who were getting Magikarp as their surprise ex-raid.

And now no one gets to raid, just wonderful. Also people are bitching about how cheap 1000 dust (as well as the 2 passes) is as a consolation prize.

• Locked thread