Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

With the revamped drop system, you really shouldn't need to use your starter weapon past floor 2 or so. Especially if you make it a point to visit the Oubliette every run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Floor 1, oubliette, floor 2 is a whole lot of samey plinking. It's so much more fun with anything else and just getting to use even a bad gun for oub/2 makes the game so much better.

Unfortunately synergies has made getting a huge selection of bad guns op so the gungeon i dream of can never be.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 25, 2018

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I feel like the Robot is the game's way of telling me "You might have beaten the Lich, but you still loving suck."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Helion posted:

I feel like the Robot is the game's way of telling me "You might have beaten the Lich, but you still loving suck."

You just need to accumulate more armooooooooooorrrr

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Helion posted:

The robot is the best character so long as you never get hit. Are you planning to get hit?

Honestly, I have done no hit runs with the robot and cleared the lich a few times, but I still don't like him. It feels bad when you get one of the many items that don't do anything at all for the robot.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Challenge mode in the forge is the loving worst. I had a fully powered sir Junkanoo on the bullet and I still got to the dragon on just one half heart and lost horribly

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There are a lot of broken guns in this game huh. When you're clearing pasts even if you're completely sucking you'll win at least 25% of the time with something dumb like a floor 1 heroine or a black hole gun. Honestly I think I've gotten worse at the game over my past seven runs because I know I'll just highroll eventually and win for free, I should stop that.

Bullet hell might change this so we'll see.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mr. Prokosch posted:

The robot is the best character so long as you never get hit. Are you planning to get hit?

Honestly, I have done no hit runs with the robot and cleared the lich a few times, but I still don't like him. It feels bad when you get one of the many items that don't do anything at all for the robot.

AG&D added a lot of content to make it feel even worse. Having to ignore things like the vampire or companion shrines entirely just makes me wish I was the Marine instead.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

No Wave posted:

There are a lot of broken guns in this game huh. When you're clearing pasts even if you're completely sucking you'll win at least 25% of the time with something dumb like a floor 1 heroine or a black hole gun. Honestly I think I've gotten worse at the game over my past seven runs because I know I'll just highroll eventually and win for free, I should stop that.

Bullet hell might change this so we'll see.

Fyi if you are in the midgame i.e you haven't yet cleared all the pasts you will be experiencing a super high drop rate of broken poo poo because you are unlocking stuff and unlocking increases the chance of the unlocked gun dropping in the next run

I've only got the robot left and my percentage of "broken poo poo" runs is way down because I've got few unlocks remaining

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Easy option and implementation to alleviate the frustration of not having enough keys and credit buildup:

Give Winchester the power to let you start with one random gun of any weighted rank by paying him 3 or so.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I booted this up for the first time in a few months tonight. I wanted to put in 10 or 15 minutes for shits before bed, and I wound up getting my first glitch chest after 175 hours played. I finished the fight with 1 HP left. I think I'm officially out of content now.

After I beat glitch boss, all of the pedestals but the two centers ones were mimics. Is this always the case? I barely survived that poo poo-storm. Luckily a ton of health and armor drops from the original fight.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
I encountered my first glitch chest yesterday... as the bullet without full health and no other guns (was on the 1at floor). I somehow managed to beat the glitched beholsters with closeup melee, but then died in the ensuing mimic chaos that I wasn't expecting ;_;

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Tax Inductions posted:

I encountered my first glitch chest yesterday... as the bullet without full health and no other guns (was on the 1at floor). I somehow managed to beat the glitched beholsters with closeup melee, but then died in the ensuing mimic chaos that I wasn't expecting ;_;

I was lucky and got the Cat Claw out of a Red Chest on the first floor; the other chest being the glitch. The Cat Claw does great damage, but getting through glitched beholsters was still pretty darn challenging.

And holy poo poo fighting 10 mimics all at the same time really sucks.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ok finished the main 4 pasts. My favorite was for sure the Marine. I had no idea what the past or "killing the past" meant so it was surprisingly nice, I had no idea the guy I was playing for 15 hours was such a good guy! Convict and Huntress were more boring because they just wanted to take back the thing that sent them to the gungeon. Pilot was like marine but I did it last and I don't think it was as well done.

The pilot seems awesome as long as you don't have to use his dumb starter gun, he's just got so much going for him otherwise. Still haven't seen any The Bullet unlocking dudes.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I get to the challenge level forge and find a dice shrine at one and a half hearts. I should have not used a dice shrine at one and a half hearts. The Lord of the Jammed and a Jammed challenge Dragun together are not good times...

:negative:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Well I got hitching in Gungeon for the first time on my desktop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oat2fyN7avQ

Mass Shotgun + Mine Cutter + Scattershot + Galactic Medal of Valor + Heavy Bullets

It made the Wallmonger fast, but choppy. This could be even crazier with Helix, etc.

Then I got Oiled Cylinder. I practically face tanked the Lich just because I could.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 29, 2018

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
With the robot helix+bouncy+water cannon and then battery electifying gave me pretty bad hitching too

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I finally did it, I finally beat the dragun. All it took was getting lucky and getting a bunch of synergies, including the rad gun and the sunglasses, which meant I could one-shot anything in forge and hollow through careful reloading. Also the commando is great against bosses. Less focusing on aiming, more focusing on dodging them bullets.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

The commando is great against bosses. Good damage, homing, and the explosions destroy bullets. Helix and other items that fire multiple projectiles when you shoot makes it even better.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Drone_Fragger posted:

I finally did it, I finally beat the dragun. All it took was getting lucky and getting a bunch of synergies, including the rad gun and the sunglasses, which meant I could one-shot anything in forge and hollow through careful reloading. Also the commando is great against bosses. Less focusing on aiming, more focusing on dodging them bullets.

Finally got my first win vs Dragun as well. All it took was black hole gun, and blank companion's ring + the normally worthless compass. Not looking forward to starting another run and having to actually dodge things.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Nice job guys. I think the black hole gun afforded me my first Dragun kill as well.

I'll tell you that my ratio of time spent til my first Dragun kill vs time between first Dragun kill and killing the four main pasts (finished the convict last night) was probably 5:1.

I'm looking forward to unlocking the bullet and robot, but I don't know if I have the stones to go after the resourceful rat after seeing what's all involved in that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I did all four pasts in rapid succession and started sucking immediately afterwards. I guess diluting the pool with their crap items makes a big difference.

Still haven't seen any bullet unlocking dudes. Would make my next few goals a whole lot easier.

From here on out it's just endless robot and blessed runs, ie pure pain.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 3, 2018

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

Finally got my first win vs Dragun as well. All it took was black hole gun, and blank companion's ring + the normally worthless compass. Not looking forward to starting another run and having to actually dodge things.

I just got mine last night. I've been consistently clearing to 4 for about a month, and picking up the dark marker completely trivialized the run even with lord of the jammed chasing me. I couldn't even tell what was supposed to be happening phase 2 until it was nearly over.

I love this game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to see your synergies? I haven't played since before the update and noticed I got some new effects going on (Flare Gun is suddenly green?) but I couldn't really figure out what was causing it and if I had any other non-obvious effects going.

I know I can look at the wiki but that's not really helpful in figuring out what, if any, have synergies when I have a dozen guns and items v:shobon:v

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Your Computer posted:

Is there a way to see your synergies? I haven't played since before the update and noticed I got some new effects going on (Flare Gun is suddenly green?) but I couldn't really figure out what was causing it and if I had any other non-obvious effects going.

I know I can look at the wiki but that's not really helpful in figuring out what, if any, have synergies when I have a dozen guns and items v:shobon:v

When you open your inventory and select any given item, anything it has a synergy with will also be highlighted in blue. The only way to tell what the synergy does is either practice or looking it up.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Green flames mean it’ll burn enemies until their death

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

When you open your inventory and select any given item, anything it has a synergy with will also be highlighted in blue. The only way to tell what the synergy does is either practice or looking it up.

Oh neat! I've been looking at my inventory screen to see if there was anything like that but I guess I haven't had any synergies in my last couple of runs :v: Thanks.

Man, I'm rusty at this game. Last time I played I knocked out several of the pasts in a row but now I can barely even get to the Dragun.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Desperate Character posted:

Green flames mean it’ll burn enemies until their death

Not bosses though I think

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Finally got my first Clone run in since AG&D when one dropped in Bullet Hell when I had exactly 1666 Hegemony Credits. It of course spiraled out of control with absurdity including the Cube spawning a 7 leaf clover before my 2nd Rat fight. Here's a clip of me beating all three phases of the Lich in less then a minute (drat phase transitions slowing me down).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq5TWNzHNe0

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Do all roguelike devs suffer from Binding of Isaac syndrome where they just have to add some bullshit to an otherwise good update? :sigh: Those new enemies are just garbage and they show up all the dang time.

Unrelated, am I right that the dodge roll doesn't have iframes on the first few frames? It keeps tripping me up that I get hit while dodging but unless it's lag (Switch version, has some issues) it's gotta be this right?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

No Wave posted:

Still haven't seen any bullet unlocking dudes. Would make my next few goals a whole lot easier.

They start showing up much more frequently as you defeat more pasts. I bet you'll start seeing a ton of them soon.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been killed by Evil King Cannon three runs in a row now and I'm getting sick of this character. Am I missing something or is it just stupid hard?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
You have to be incredibly patient with Cannon. Focus on avoidance for all of his patterns, keep an eye on the pits, whack him a few times and then back off whenever he flies to a new spot, and be aware that your main opportunity to hit him is when he does that lovely attack with the spinning circle of bullets that expands and contracts (not the spiralling bat, you want to just avoid that). You need to watch for when he starts that, dodge into the middle of it and smack him a few times, and dodge out again when it contracts, then make some distance and dodge the shots.

Cannon takes an annoyingly long time to kill and you have to absolutely prioritize careful, methodical play to wear him down.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Yeah slow it down a whole bunch

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Guess I got the right idea then :sigh: Fourth attempt now and I got him down to a couple of swings, but you're allowed so few mistakes and the fight takes ages so it's just awful. I think I'm just gonna... play some other games.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Cannon is some real bad stuff yeah, it forces the application of unreasonable patience and plink damage with a melee weapon, easily the worst of the pasts

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Don't forget that the bullet doesn't take contact damage. Sometimes getting right up next to him can give you a couple extra swings and it gives you a bit more room when he starts knocking out the floors.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Black August posted:

I just turn it off every time I play because keys are still bullshit and to be denied fun based on some hidden punishment mechanic you have to game is Bad Design

Why do games these days loving hate allowing you to have fun, why is everything a hidden punishment

Is there a mod to disable magnificence or can it just be edited in the files somewhere?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Black August posted:

Cannon is some real bad stuff yeah, it forces the application of unreasonable patience and plink damage with a melee weapon, easily the worst of the pasts

I didn't think cannon was difficult. I had much more trouble with the marine because of the #$%^!@#$^!$^@ poison ground that I was too ADHD to notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I would say making the poison ground look the same as the harmless ground in the blacksmith's shop threw me off a lot. I thought I was getting hit by friendly fire which made me play weird and lose the first time.