Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Ibope says in the second round:

Haddad 43 - Bolsonaro 37
Gomes 46 - Bolsonaro 35
Alckmin 41 - Bolsonaro 36
Marina 39 - Bolsonaro 39 (lol)

https://www.oantagonista.com/brasil/segundo-ibope-bolsonaro-perderia-para-todos-e-empataria-com-marina-no-segundo-turno/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think that the interesting thing about Haddad winning is that the institutional opposition to PT may be stuck with him. This isn't like Dilma, who had a ghoul for sale as the VP, so impeaching Haddad doesn't get them who they want. And impeaching both or impugning his candidacy after the fact means new elections, which PT would likely win again.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

bagual posted:

Ciro

Pros:
-Nationalist

And that's a pro because...?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Negrostrike posted:

Because it would be unexpected for him to privatize things built with public money, pretty much that.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
loving lol at Macri's Central Bank director quitting on him 12 hours after Macri claimed "everything was under control".

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

loving lol at Macri's Central Bank director quitting on him 12 hours after Macri claimed "everything was under control".

To be fair, a cabinet member quitting in Argentina is just another Tuesday

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

ZearothK posted:

Because it would be unexpected for him to privatize things built with public money, pretty much that.

I'm not sure if "nationalist" is the best way to describe this. more like "statist"?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm not sure if "nationalist" is the best way to describe this. more like "statist"?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Pochoclo posted:

To be fair, a cabinet member quitting in Argentina is just another Tuesday

Sure, but they had a whole big show about "no cabinet changes" right after the peso went to $40 and they had to run off to the IMF again so it's extra funny.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Does anyone know why Haddad was chosen as replacement Lula? I know he won mayor of São Paulo once and was also Minister of Education - are those things enough to give him a better national chance than a governor or something?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

Does anyone know why Haddad was chosen as replacement Lula? I know he won mayor of São Paulo once and was also Minister of Education - are those things enough to give him a better national chance than a governor or something?

He was mayor of São Paulo only 2 years ago, and had a moderately popular administration among the left. He's basically the only PT politician that comes to mind besides Lula and Dilma so I believe it was the obvious choice here.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

He's one of the few visible new names in the party. Other bigshots have either retired, been brought low by corruption scandals, failed to gather momentum, or been hounded into jail.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Olívio Dutra is too old to run, other than that PT is pretty much tapped out in the South and they WANNA run with someone from Southern Brazil, especially São Paulo.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Negrostrike posted:

Won't sell state property, like when Temer privatized some oil fields citing state companies inefficiency only to sell them to chinese and norwegian state oil companies :downs:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

bagual posted:

Won't sell state property

Latin American "Nationalists" have sold state property up the rear end before time and time again

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

Latin American "Nationalists" have sold state property up the rear end before time and time again

It all depends on how you define nationalism.

Most latin american nationalists have been from the school of "I'm gonna smash them (imaginary) commies for God and country, who cares if I beggar the place while I do it. Also, gotta drip a few percent off the top into my swiss account, because I'm a meritocrat after all!"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
basically,

Symbolic Butt posted:

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
I was using nationalist as in actually exercising sovreign national interest, hallmark of national development governments in latin america, and in opposition to anti-national sell everything neoliberals and other "patriots" who will salute the flag and sing the anthem while rolling over for americans, europeans, chinese, whatever.

Nationalism really is one of those words so loaded you gotta be very specific about whenever you use it. I don't think "statism" really covers stuff like trade protectionism and other incentives to national private industry. "Has a national development economic strategy " would convey what i was trying to say in the original post, but i was half shitposting then and didn't think it through.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nacional-desenvolvimentismo?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

bagual posted:

I was using nationalist as in actually exercising sovereign national interest

We had maybe one politician in the entire history of Argentina who actually fit that label (Illia) and they literally dragged him out of office by force, I doubt the rest of the South American countries have fared much better. Maybe Mujica?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Pochoclo posted:

Maybe Mujica?

Lol

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Sorry I don't know much about Uruguay except it used to be the go-to place to buy dollars, marijuana being slightly less illegal there, and them always trying to take credit for dulce de leche, mate, and Gardel.

Mujica's media image in Argentina has always been very "simple man of the people" but maybe he's a right-wing twat, wouldn't be the first time

Frankly it'd be kinda sad if the only honest politician in all of Latin America's history that I can name is Illia

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

Frankly it'd be kinda sad if the only honest politician in all of Latin America's history that I can name is Illia
Allende?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

Sorry I don't know much about Uruguay except it used to be the go-to place to buy dollars, marijuana being slightly less illegal there, and them always trying to take credit for dulce de leche, mate, and Gardel.

Mujica's media image in Argentina has always been very "simple man of the people" but maybe he's a right-wing twat, wouldn't be the first time

He's a crook who spent his entire period doing favors to his friends or trying to give the country away to multinationals. He's also incompetent so he often failed or was found out. Still managed to do a lot of damage.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Polidoro posted:

He's a crook who spent his entire period doing favors to his friends or trying to give the country away to multinationals. He's also incompetent so he often failed or was found out. Still managed to do a lot of damage.

yeah, sure, but he drives a beetle, and also, pot.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Magrov posted:

yeah, sure, but he drives a beetle, and also, pot.

pot was always legal here. he just made a half assed law for the government to sell it and it's been losing steam since he left.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I really hate having no idea who the gently caress to vote for

I hate this country so much

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

frajaq posted:

Turns out I'm not voting at all because this holiday trip I scheduled to the US is on election day but I was gonna waste my vote on Boulos anyway. See y'all on the runoffs when I pray that the less lovely candidate beats Bolsonaro!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Polidoro posted:

It's amazing how this applies to every latin american politician

frajaq posted:

It's amazing how this applies to every latin american country

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/JanainaDoBrasil/status/1045655099547295746

translation of the relevant part: "farts cannot stop a chief of state"

edit: this is Janaina Paschoal, an important figure in the brazilian new right, she was one of the authors of the impeachment process, was considered for running as vice president with Bolsonaro and is a total nut job

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 28, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Elias_Maluco posted:

https://twitter.com/JanainaDoBrasil/status/1045655099547295746

translation of the relevant part: "farts cannot stop a chief of state"

edit: this is Janaina Paschoal, an important figure in the brazilian new right, she was one of the authors of the impeachment process, was considered for running as vice president with Bolsonaro and is a total nut job

Go, Bolsonaro, go fart in the debates.

This stabbing really is the best thing that could have happened to him, he is his own worst enemy and gives him an excuse to hide from the debates. The best thing that can continue to happen to us is for his vice-candidate to keep talking.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Is he farting through his gut tube?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
At least with Bolsonaro the mask is falling. All my coxinha acquaintances who were deeply concerned about our democracy under PT are now all openly calling for Folha to be investigated because they are going to interview Lula.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

joepinetree posted:

At least with Bolsonaro the mask is falling. All my coxinha acquaintances who were deeply concerned about our democracy under PT are now all openly calling for Folha to be investigated because they are going to interview Lula.

It's a thing of wonder how they went from "PT is gonna abolish election anytime now and star a bolivarian regime bloobloo" to "Arrest all jounalists and burn the history books saying 1964 was a coup, rar! Just get a room of rich people to write a new Constituin, it's fiine!" in the blink of an eye. And the most educated, 'enlightened' layer of the population, too! poo poo, half my family's facebook threads are about how great it'll be once all pot smokers are killed (moderates say they should just have their fingers removed).

And by 'wonder' I mean it makes me want to scream until my jaw unhinges.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

And here I am glad even the most reactionary members of my family, from Brasília even!, are going "Eww" at Bolsonaro. My uncle who wants all "vagabundos" to be shot thinks Bozo is too much now, though that one might be influence from his gay son who's not coming back to Brazil anytime soon.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
there's a pro-Bolsonaro protest going on in my city and it's right next to a shopping mall, all the expensive valet parking is occupied. this is so on brand it hurts. they are doing the Patriot dance right now.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

nerdz posted:

they are doing the Patriot dance right now.

There's gotta be a video

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Negrostrike posted:

There's gotta be a video

I was on my way to the shopping mall and driving. There's a lot of them in the mall now. I think I saw a lot of incels too. Imagine very unkempt dudes in their late 30s walking around the mall with a yellow Bolsonaro balloon, never in groups, waking by themselves

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

nerdz posted:

there's a pro-Bolsonaro protest going on in my city and it's right next to a shopping mall, all the expensive valet parking is occupied. this is so on brand it hurts. they are doing the Patriot dance right now.

The pro-Bolsonaro manifestations always happen close to malls in the posh part of town, I heard people heading towards Parcão here in Porto Alegre.

Dias fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

nerdz posted:

Few things showed me the meaning of the term 'cringe' better than the pro-impeachment and Bolsonaro dances.

Otherwise, I'd relish the utter ruination of PSDB in this cycle if they hadn't gestated something worse in their dying body before expiring.