Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

even Feinstein dunking on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I had to stop listening.

It’s just painful. A 50yo dudebro.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The one day I can't take a day off an watch cspan.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

ActusRhesus posted:

I had to stop listening.

It’s just painful. A 50yo dudebro.

"I liked beer. I still like beer."

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Imagine being Lindsey Graham at a social event.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I'm going full accelerationist here but having this guy confirmed and vomit out 5-4s is the best way to get the Court packed in three years

it's not like his identical except slightly less rapey December replacement will be any better

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I opened a livestream of the hearings but it's just people walking back and forth in a corridor
Where did I go wrong

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Adar posted:

I'm going full accelerationist here but having this guy confirmed and vomit out 5-4s is the best way to get the Court packed in three years

it's not like his identical except slightly less rapey December replacement will be any better

Yep.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

yronic heroism posted:

Imagine being Lindsey Graham at a social event.

I dunno. I kinda liked it.

It is kinda bullshit how this was handled.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

It’s not as bullshit as holding up a nominee for a whole year without a hearing. Graham has no room to talk and complaining about the process is weak sauce.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

It’s not as bullshit as holding up a nominee for a whole year without a hearing. Graham has no room to talk and complaining about the process is weak sauce.

It’s not a zero sum game. Both can be bullshit.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Kavs is gonna get confirmed

Even as a literal Trump voter I can't stand the guy and was against him prior to all this rape stuff came out which he absolutely did or at least enabled (re gang rapes)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

mastershakeman posted:

Even as a literal Trump voter I can't stand the guy and was against him prior to all this rape stuff came out which he absolutely did or at least enabled (re gang rapes)

Wat

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mastershakeman posted:

Did you just admit to being a trump voter in this thread?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

Ummm

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

ActusRhesus posted:

I dunno. I kinda liked it.

It is kinda bullshit how this was handled.

What are you referring to?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Turn left Starblitz, noooo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

Did you just admit to being a trump voter in this thread?

I "admitted" it like two years ago and have never hidden it . I voted for myself almost every election then him because it was funny and I stand by that

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 28, 2018

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
lol brett is a soyboy beta-cuck who cried in front of the whole world because people called him names

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

I did like two years ago and have never hidden it . I voted for myself almost every election then him because it was funny

I troll voted for him in the primary. You’re okay with me, msm.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Look Sir Droids posted:

I troll voted for him in the primary. You’re okay with me, msm.

Thanks

I rarely vote seriously because voting doesn't matter . My peak political power was when my wife's best friends brother was a us senator and I could potentially relay requests that way which I never bothered with

I spent the last year listening to political podcasts and determining my political philosophy which is bringing home all overseas military, using mmt to provide a good living standard, and unifying (by force) the American continent to fight global warming

I'm an insane bitter male wasp

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

I think there's a redtext incoming

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

I feel like the post/av combo is already perfect.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I'm watching this poo poo now because gently caress if I could handle it at work and goddamn what a mess.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I think Feinstein sat on Ford's accusations for like two months until Ford's Congresswoman leaked it to the press. That didn't give the accusers enough time to prepare for the shitstorm that rained down in like a week. Furthermore, the whole "hire a prosecutor to grill the witness and then get rid of her because the nominee is melting under the slightest pressure" made it look like the whole thing was rigged in favor of the nominee.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

He already has a punitive av/text thing, seems like that would be a big, fat waste.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

sullat posted:

I think Feinstein sat on Ford's accusations for like two months until Ford's Congresswoman leaked it to the press. That didn't give the accusers enough time to prepare for the shitstorm that rained down in like a week. Furthermore, the whole "hire a prosecutor to grill the witness and then get rid of her because the nominee is melting under the slightest pressure" made it look like the whole thing was rigged in favor of the nominee.

Regarding the former, that was because Ford requested confidentiality. The FBI got the letter earlier, as did the Senate Judiciary Committee. They were the ones who sat on it until the leak- though it's clear the Senate Rs already knew about some of the other sexual allegations, as they used it to frame Kavanaugh's initial presentation. It's not known where the leak came from. On the latter, yes, certainly. Grassley et al have been scum a hundred different ways.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

sullat posted:

Furthermore, the whole "hire a prosecutor to grill the witness and then get rid of her because the nominee is melting under the slightest pressure" made it look like the whole thing was rigged in favor of the nominee.

Made it look like it was rigged? Did you see the speeches at the "values voter" summit?

Oh, and unrelatedly: :yotj: Got offered a clerkship this afternoon. After three years on the transactional side I'm both incredibly excited and scared shitless to get back into disputin'.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Pretty cool judicial nomination process you got there. Full, open hearings lead to hyper partisan judges who openly talk about Democrat conspiracies or whatever. I guess that's one way to end up with a legislative supreme court enforcing its particular policy preferences behind a mask of legal reasoning. Hail nazi lochner

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

terrorist ambulance posted:

Pretty cool judicial nomination process you got there. Full, open hearings lead to hyper partisan judges who openly talk about Democrat conspiracies or whatever. I guess that's one way to end up with a legislative supreme court enforcing its particular policy preferences behind a mask of legal reasoning. Hail nazi lochner

We call this "originalism"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Let's just directly elect the judges instead then have settlements years later on the lawsuits about how the elections were a sham

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Let's just directly elect the judges instead then have settlements years later on the lawsuits about how the elections were a sham

Or just use an entirely opaque and unaccountable process and hope that your decision makers act in good faith. Works pretty good actually

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Or we could stop pretending politics is a election of ideas and hopes and admit its just a contest of anxieties and loathing

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Or just use an entirely opaque and unaccountable process and hope that your decision makers act in good faith. Works pretty good actually

I for one am excited for Trump to announce marbury v Madison was wrong this whole time and no one should listen to those 9 people

For what it's worth it really isn't opaque. The republicans are openly showing everyone they don't care about this guy's past or his present with his weird credit card poo poo that looks like bribes, or even that he lied to their colleagues. All that matters is he'll vote the way they want him to and won't be a Souter , because abandoning Bork for Souter was the original sun of nomination processes and won't be rectified until there's 9 heritage foundation guys voting in lockstep

Absolutely nothing matters besides predictability of voting. Guys like Posner or anyone else never stand a chance in hell of being nominated because having good judges on the supreme Court is the opposite of what everyone wants.

On the plus side it barely matters because as soon as a Dem takes the presidency , Republicans will take 80% of state legislatures and just pass constitutional amendments on all the social issues anyways

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 28, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

blarzgh posted:

Or we could stop pretending politics is a election of ideas and hopes and admit its just a contest of anxieties and loathing

Pretty sure 2016 did that.

Yesterday and today just extended it to the court. The unsaid things about the court’s political reality was finally said out loud in sworn testimony.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
It's more that y'all have got some issues with the way your branches cooperate and work. For instance, Norway's system is also based mostly on decorum and could conceivably blow up at any time but because everyone is such a massive tightass, nobody ever steps out of line.

The process goes Court Administration committee of impartial (lol) members from courts, bar association, public sector and randos appointed by the government suggest three qualified law nerds for any judgeship up to and including the supreme court, then the government chooses number 1 in 97% of all cases. Yes, literally that. Could the government sink the entire process by just choosing randomly? Well yes, but decorum. And also probable political suicide against one of the strongest arms of government, but whatever.

All you need to do is get some checks and balances. Checks for the senators and balance some hookers on their laps, and you'll all be fine I'm sure.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Did you get your name from Hitchhiker's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tokelau All Star posted:

Did you get your name from Hitchhiker's?

It's from silicon valley and disgraced sex pest tj Miller

Speaking of sex pests and politics, some of my friends were trying to get into how society should treat consent etc and by the end of the argument I convinced them that my acquaintance who unknowingly committed statutory rape was morally innocent but not legally; and also that if you want to solve consent issues the first thing you need to do is ban alcohol and then crack down on drugs at music fests. Good times

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 28, 2018