Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

homeless snail posted:

the real fun is getting the brick and then doing the opposite

One time I hijacked one cruiser, crashed it into the side of another to breach the high security area where the target was, and then jumped from one ship to another. It owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

realizing that ships sometimes had rocket launchers that you could use to blow up other ships was a revelation

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I like hitting people with a powered hammer through windows.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Okay folks, I still haven't played Metal Gear Solid 5. I've looked at very little of the game, I've seen the thing with the whale though.

I've heard people say it's a good game but it's not a god Metal Gear Solid game. I loving love 1-4, the first one still being my favorite, but I love all of them. But a lot of that is also in the story and characters and feel of the games. Does MGS5 deviate so far from MGS that it might as well not be an MGS game anymore? What makes it still feel like an MGS game or not?

It's like 20 bucks now, but I still am very on the fence about it because I don't want to just play any ol' game, I want to play number 5 in the Metal Gear Solid series

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

people say that but it really isn't true, the plot is Incredibly and Verifiably Metal Gear. what people actually mean is it doesn't have hour long cutscenes, because kojima has more or less given up on his cinematic aspirations in recent games, and V being a direct sequel to peace walker does its exposition in a similar way

also I'm not going to get into it because you don't know better yet, but its V not 5

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
IMO if you like MGS you should play V.

I've been thinking about picking it up on PC to try out that Infinite Heaven mod.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's definitely metal gear but i don't think the open world works in its favor. also the bosses are bad

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The open world just adds pointless traveling and most of the bases are identical.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i want a fox engine mgs1 so badly

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

corn in the bible posted:

The open world just adds pointless traveling and most of the bases are identical.

oddium posted:

it's definitely metal gear but i don't think the open world works in its favor. also the bosses are bad

Yeah the open world aspect is a thing that was a BIG turn off when I'd hear about the game. But I'm willing to still give a shot if it's still otherwise a MGS game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I loved every second of MGSV

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Yeah the open world aspect is a thing that was a BIG turn off when I'd hear about the game. But I'm willing to still give a shot if it's still otherwise a MGS game
at best you can just ignore the open world and start all the missions from the helicopter. I'm not gonna say its altogether bad, a few of the missions actually take advantage of it in a cool way, but its mostly big and empty yeah

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

homeless snail posted:

at best you can just ignore the open world and start all the missions from the helicopter. I'm not gonna say its altogether bad, a few of the missions actually take advantage of it in a cool way, but its mostly big and empty yeah

Did you mention that you can get a horse

That you can make poop on command

And said poop if on a road will freak out enemies driving by and cause them to crash

It's a good game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

also horse-stealth

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

In Training posted:

I loved every second of MGSV

i did not like metallic archaea

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Samuringa posted:

is this what the cool kids are playing nowadays

https://i.imgur.com/IkdDeA9.mp4

This is missing how pov person palms the bullet really subtly instead of loading it, which is why it owns

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

MGSV will likely let you down if you love Metal Gear for the batshit stories and cutscenes. But hot drat is it a fine game.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
MGSV started the recent trend of "games that let you pet dogs" so it's probably worth it just for that

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The story in MGSV is super whatever, it's insanely small nugget of an idea stretched thin to the extreme. It is not substantial or satisfactory in any way.

The gameplay is of course famously good, and probably makes up for the story's shortcomings. I just might suggest to not get too caught up in doing ~everything~ because you will burn out super hard, which is exactly what happened to me in the last third or so of my playtime.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think my favorite part of this Bowsette thing will be Nintendo inevitably feeling the need to specifically explain in the game that the crown doesn't work like that

Or maybe it will. Who knows?

Unrelated
https://twitter.com/Fobwashed/status/1044997533297037312

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The gameplay in MGSV is the best it’s ever been, so good that I have trouble going back to 1-4.

Yes the story has problems but it still has a lot of bright spots.

Nate RFB posted:

I just might suggest to not get too caught up in doing ~everything~ because you will burn out super hard, which is exactly what happened to me in the last third or so of my playtime.

Seconding this. On my first play though on the PS3 I 99%’ed the game but now on the PS4 I’m at like 70% with hundreds of hours of gameplay because I’m dicking around so much

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 28, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That will have to be weighed for goty against letting you play as apparently the most awkward lesbian in video games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But can you leap off it and land on someone

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the stealth stuff in mgs5 is insanely good and the most fun I've had with mgs gameplay in the series. bolstering your army through kidnapping enemies and gear is really cool. being able to easily replay missions is good, and i like a lot of the story missions having lots of side objectives. also you can pet your dog which is a big improvement over breath of the wild

snake as a character is super boring though. the codec has largely been replaced by tapes where snake's friends just exposit at him. you can listen to them at your leisure though and honestly i could listen to ocelot talk about political tensions for hours. your home base is barren and unnecessarily huge and lacks even an armory to let you change equipment without embarking on a mission. also kojima loves memes about his own series

it's a fun game

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
MGS V being open world is extremely good.
In my opinion, V is the opposite side of the spectrum from 4. 4 is a great game for fans of the series having insane babbling plot and ridiculous cinematic escapades. 5 is a great game for fans of the series letting you naturally create your own solutions and gently caress with guards via insane rube Goldberg machines.

Both of them have bits of what the other specialized in(some neat plot threads in V, the mood tranqs in 4). But those bits are underdeveloped.

Also, I'm honestly thankful about reduced dialogue. Sutherland is a poo poo actor and unsurprisingly he was a poo poo voice actor.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished Jimmy & the Pulsating Mass

i'm actually less annoyed by the cancer twist because of how thoroughly it commits to the gimmick - the entire last act of the game is just the Terminally Ill Child World Tour and becomes less about what will happen to Jimmy and more about reminiscing on how much he loves his family and how badly his sickness is hurting them in turn

still, though, what a desolate loving game. just look at what happens to all the fun animal residents in the first town - by the game's end nearly all of them are dead or hopelessly consumed by their own private manias, and they're among the better-off compared to how some NPC's end up

overall it definitely deserved more attention than it got, but it looks like the difficulty balancing and obvious twists sank it along with poor advertising

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also quiet loving sucks but defeating her by dropping supply crates on her head owns

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Quiet’s sexualization was embarrassing but she is an awesome buddy. I love having her shoot off a guy’s helmet milliseconds before I shoot his face with a tranq or having her ricochet grenades into helicopters.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The rain dance scene is cool

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm glad i don't know the detailed list of sanity effects in eternal darkness because it's actually gotten me with a couple so far lol

the hosed up thing is thinking about how there are more recent-ish games that end at the exact point that fakeout sequel hook would

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i might bring d horse and quiet occasionally but d dog is my buddy for life

I'm never using d walker on principle because gently caress huey

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dont blame children for the sins of their father didn’t you learn anything from this series

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

The rain dance scene is cool

Wouldn't Quiet drown in a rainstorm?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

d-walker is probably the weakest buddy tbh, but mostly because the other ones are so good and I'd probably rather just get a tank or something if I'm going to go loud and then bring quiet or d-dog

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

crying is not enough

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

d-walker is probably the weakest buddy tbh, but mostly because the other ones are so good and I'd probably rather just get a tank or something if I'm going to go loud and then bring quiet or d-dog

It's excellent for S ranking that one skull face mission with 0 effort

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the most uncomfortable quiet thing is easily the cutscene where the guy strangles her and drowns her in the water trough but then he takes her pants off to rape her and that allows her to breathe and she goes buckwild on the guys

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
D Walker is waaay underrated. It’s faster than D horse, more maneuverable than a Jeep, you can fly off thousand foot cliffs without dying, you have buckets of pistol ammo to tranq entire bases shooting two pistols at a time like Chow Yun Fat in a John woo movie, it can ram down fences, run over an entire fire team before they can react to seeing you, has gobs of armor, can tag bad guys farther and more reliably than D dog and you can carry or stab people. It even has a Fulton cannon so you can Fulton a prisoner through a second story window without even getting within 400 feet of a base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

d dog and d-walker should have combined to be a robot dog

• Locked thread