Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0MnePcXxkI

"Our best and our brightest"

Boy, do I have some bad news for you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Anyway this is gonna sound like a NMA post but you might as well stick a fork in the Fallout IP for now and hope they don't bungle Elder Scrolls by not being able to leave a single red cent on the table even if it means making GBS threads the game up.

Far Harbor wasn't that long ago, and was really good. 76 seems like a misstep, but if they were to make more games along the lines of Far Harbor, I think the franchise is fine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Far Harbor was followed by Nuka World and a bunch of Sims 3 expansion packs, so while it might not have been that long ago it is further back than you think.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I like hat-based economies.

I hope there are so many hats.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mr Hootington posted:

Good thing no game has ever done this before so we can rage at this.

"people have done it before so it's fine"

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Find me one major AAA online only game that doesn't have a cash shop please.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
did people really believe there wouldnt be microtransactions and premium currency

i have a bridge to sell you

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I don't see what's wrong with being able to grind for cosmetic poo poo

Vinylshadow posted:

The dark irony in fallout 76 are the players themselves

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 28, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Donovan Trip posted:

I don't see what's wrong with being able to grind for cosmetic poo poo

then you're part of the loving problem

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Do you guys even play video games?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

corn in the bible posted:

Jim Sterling-ishly: IT'S COSMETICS/PLAYER CHOICE!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only way cosmetic dlc works is if it is for items not in the game, in which case it's just an equipment pack like the gun runners arsenal. If you're spending real world cash to buy things you can already purchase or collect in-game that's a loving scam.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Donovan Trip posted:

I dunno man, there are plenty of games out there that don't do this "endless treadmill of content" thing.

I get why people dig it but it's never been my thing

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Donovan Trip posted:

Why did I come into this thread

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It sounds a lot like it's somewhere between gta online and Warframe I'm just surprised it's surprising anyone

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

So far F76 is pretty much meeting all of my lowest expectations.

Still using Gamebryo from 2002? Check.

Janky, welded-on multiplayer implemented in a way that nobody who ever wanted a co-op Fallout asked for? Check.

Cosmetic microtransaction designed to nickel-and-dime the absolute gently caress out of the game? Check.

Gameplay loop designed to appeal to the lovely idiot twelve-year-olds obsessed with Fortnite, and before that RUST, and before that ARK, and before that Dayz, and before that Minecraft Hunger Games? Check.

Hard pass on this one.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
"cosmetic microtransactions designed to nickel and dime the gently caress out of the game" seems like a contradiction in terms, but then so does saying that the same cohort of twelve year olds who played dayz in 2013 are playing 76

. Would you guys rather pay for DLC? Maybe a subscription fee? It would be dope if running and patching an always online game was free with no costs to anybody, agreed

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cosmetic microtransactions almost always means "you could grind for hours to get this item in-game or you could give us five bucks to get it right now". When you get into that situation there's little to stop a developer from upping that grind to ridiculous levels to make a consumer consider balancing their time investment against the monetary cost.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Donovan Trip posted:

It sounds a lot like it's somewhere between gta online and Warframe I'm just surprised it's surprising anyone

Ok I get it you like to troll people that wanted a good fallout game but after this I'm pretty sure your cover is blown so there goes your gimmick

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Do not buy the game.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Did you all meltdown this much when they added the cosmetic shop to Fallout 4?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I don't care about cosmetics and am looking forward to Fallout 76. The thing that does make me hesitant about the game is, I'm concerned about how much content there will be at launch. The nature of these sorts of games is they get "better" over time with updates to flesh out the game. I guess what I'm trying to describe is like a No Man's Sky situation, where you could have bought the game at launch but it's best played buying it 1-2 years later.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

J-Spot posted:

They’ve said the cosmetic items are the only paid micro transactions in the game and they added them in there to allow DLC to be free for the life of the game. Seems reasonable enough. I’m not sure why you’d want to spend money on cosmetic items in a first person game but if you you really care about how other players see you then whatever.

I might drop some money on a cool outfit so my friends have something to look at. Game is going to be fun as gently caress, just like every other Fallout.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Mr Hootington posted:

Did you all meltdown this much when they added the cosmetic shop to Fallout 4?

The same people posting in this thread? Almost certainly :laffo:. Although Creation Club isn't just cosmetics, it actually adds quite a few gameplay items like the backpack or the BFG.

But still, there's a difference between nickel and dime piecemeal bullshit they added in after the actual development life of a game was over and rolling it out on release day.

But MMOs gonna MMO, I'm just not gonna play it unless I hear some compelling argument for it :shrug:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

I like playing games with my friends and strangers, I like dumb cosmetic things, and I like fallout :shrug:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I too like to be a drain dead consumer hogging whatever slop in front of me. :shrug:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

did people really believe there wouldnt be microtransactions and premium currency

i have a bridge to sell you

Special features on this bridge will be unlocked via microtransaction.

Vinylshadow posted:

Yeesh, finally sat down and watched this. Kind of comes off as straight up American Propaganda, which is pretty off putting and kind of misses the entire point of the Fallout series thus far.

Compare it to the ads for Fallout 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE9kVQjK3Po

Say what you will about Fallout 3, but that game had some quality ads.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 28, 2018

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

American Propaganda

lol yeah i mean its pretty normal american propaganda of "war"

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Loving all the retarded meltdown posts about the new Fallout game. There was a time when we made fun of the NMA people, I guess they all came here or something. Personally I have pre-ordered the game and will enjoy it together with friends. Have a nice day peeps.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ah yes, the retarded meltdown of finding microtransactions in premium games repugnant.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ah yes, the retarded meltdown of finding microtransactions in premium games repugnant.

Microtransactions suck dude, nobody here is defending them, I don't think there is a single person here who would defend them as something "good". But that doesn't mean you have to have a complete meltdown over them. They exists, they suck, why keep posting over and over again about how much you (not you personally) hate the new fallout games and microtransactions and the DLC and the basebuilding, and the multiplayer and Todd Howard and every other single detail you (again, not you personally) dislike about the new fallout games.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol if you have to meltdown about video games, something ive done multiple times

this is exactly the same thing that bungie does with destiny, and its fine. if bethesda is good on drops and duplicates and poo poo, then go for it

capitalism baby theyll probably just close down when they dont meet some billionaires crypto currency investment in them

Siljmonster fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 28, 2018

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Arcsquad12 posted:

find me an online premium game that doesn't have them! Find me one. Why are you pretending servers and content don't require money?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gay Horney posted:

find me an online premium game that doesn't have them! Find me one. Why are you pretending servers and content don't require money?

Find me a premium online game that costs $60-80 up front before you can even play. There's more of a gray area for freemium games but it has no place in AAA releases.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arcsquad12 posted:

Find me a premium online game that costs $60-80 up front before you can even play. There's more of a gray area for freemium games but it has no place in AAA releases.

the managers in all those companies that do this dont care

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
"everyone does it, why be mad?" is a really dumb defense

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Yea, bow to the corporate overlords in the games industry!

Everyone's doin it.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
If we just post some more angry screeds in the fallout thread on the something awful forums the game companies must listen!

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MariusLecter posted:

Yea, bow to the corporate overlords in the games industry!

Everyone's doin it.

lol games are going to have bitcoin in it soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
It's almost like... you can play these games and never buy into the microtransactions. Weird!

Didn't Horizon Zero Dawn have microtransactions? I didn't even know about it until I saw someone complaining in a thread. I'd rather have microtransactions than the industry trying to increase the price of games from $60 to $70-$80. Although, a lot of people are already paying $70-$80 for new games due to the emergence of season passes :can: