Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A comment from a Slate article regarding something from the future of the Darkest Timeline:

quote:

"After the initial furor over the death of Roe v. Wade, things will settle down as pro choice states expand their abortion clinics and entrepreneurial travel agents begin once again to package weekend visits to LA, San Fran, New York, etc., where a woman seeking an abortion can have round trip tickets, two nights in the city, maybe even tickets to a Saturday night show after the morning procedure. Sure, it will cost more and insurance, if it covers anything, will only cover the costs of the procedure. But it's only money and there's always GoFundMe. "

:d2a:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
basically, the status quo in ireland for decades wrt the uk

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

^^^ Until Congress uses the act of crossing state lines to ban abortion nationwide.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

https://twitter.com/modernserf/status/1045377334734442496

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

basically, the status quo in ireland for decades wrt the uk

Still the case in Northern Ireland. They can't even form a government because Loyalist conservative shitheads don't want people learning Irish or talking about abortion.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

DoktorLoken posted:

^^^ Until Congress uses the act of crossing state lines to ban abortion nationwide.

And the State's rights crowd leads the charge no doubt

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

That one and the one with all the horrified women behind him.

https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status/1045429622274490368

Goddamn man, news photo of the year right there

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah one of these Kavanaugh photos has to be Pulitzer worthy.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

this is my pick bc goddamn

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Relentlessboredomm posted:

That one and the one with all the horrified women behind him.

https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status/1045429622274490368

Wow, Zina Bash isn’t even making the OK or White Power symbol anymore.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Wow, Zina Bash isn’t even making the OK or White Power symbol anymore.

The victims were rich white women.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
For the record, Kavanugh's nomination is being determined at this very minute.

https://twitter.com/DianneG/status/1045451701069713408

Edit: THANKS JOE https://twitter.com/LisaDNews/status/1045456292989603840

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
As if this isn't enough, DC Schools hosed up:

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/408672-audio-reveals-dc-principal-mocking-student-claim-of-sexual-assault

quote:

When the girl left the room, James told Stevens that she was going to take the sexual assault claim to the police in order to embarrass the girl.

“This … is going to compromise her,” James said. “And that’s why I’m going to go the extra mile and call MPD [The Metropolitan Police Department]. That’s why I’m going to do all of this … because I’m sick of her … So I’m going to call MPD, I’m going to have a long, drawn-out email just so that I can embarrass her.”

She said she hoped to "embarrass her rear end."

"You should see the dress she’s got on," James added, according to the Post.

The girl and her mother are now suing James and the D.C. government for at least $5 million in actual and punitive damages, the Post reported.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Soulex posted:

There is a vote for the supreme court in October apparently that lets state crimes be federally pardonable. Iirc.

Lol was that explicitly created for trump because I couldn’t imagine it pushed by the party of small government.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I hope the New York Times and such forever refer to him as “alleged rapist Justice Kavanaugh”.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol was that explicitly created for trump because I couldn’t imagine it pushed by the party of small government.

There's a serious argument to be had about state/federal double jeopardy laws, where someone could be acquitted on a state charge, then get convicted on a federal charge for the same exact thing. The case is mostly about a guy that essentially had that happen to him and is currently in prison.

It's probably a good thing to not have so many people in prison and/or not have as many people get hit by that rule. Unfortunately, if that legal precedent was overturned to a "one or the other" standard, it would flow to the pardon power too.

One of those "stumbling on good policies by mistake because you're a corrupt shitter" from the Republicans pushing for it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Soulex posted:

There is a vote for the supreme court in October apparently that lets state crimes be federally pardonable. Iirc.

No, it's whether the state/fed can double-dip - get your case resolved in state court, but be put in jeopardy again by bring retired for the same thing in federal court that you got convicted of/acquitted of in state court, or vice versa.

E: and shows we are in 2018 again. Dems screaming against honoring citizens constitutional rights and the GOP falling over themselves to support the same, all because it might tangentially affect their Trump-boner / Trump hate-boner.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 28, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

There's a serious argument to be had about state/federal double jeopardy laws, where someone could be acquitted on a state charge, then get convicted on a federal charge for the same exact thing. The case is mostly about a guy that essentially had that happen to him and is currently in prison.

One of those "stumbling on good policies by mistake because you're a corrupt shitter" from the Republicans pushing for it.

On one hand it prevents dudes from committing hate crimes in rural rear end Mississippi, and having the jury nullify it because they're some racist trash and the dude gets off clean.

On the other I could see where this is hosed if those same pieces of trash control at the fed and not the state level.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i'm glad we got the dog and pony show today that won't matter and that nobody will be talking about by monday.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Grassley and McConnell are definitely going forward with a vote regardless of whether they have enough to succeed. The old white elephants of the Senate GOP are baying for blood and they're going to force Flake, Murkowski, and Collins to take the hit of a no vote.

One things for sure though, Thomas is probably feeling pretty baller tonight for not pissing his pants on live TV during the Anita Hill investigation.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

boop the snoot posted:

i'm glad we got the dog and pony show today that won't matter and that nobody will be talking about by monday.

this gimmick is getting old

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm not sure it's a gimmick

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Grassley and McConnell are definitely going forward with a vote regardless of whether they have enough to succeed. The old white elephants of the Senate GOP are baying for blood and they're going to force Flake, Murkowski, and Collins to take the hit of a no vote.

One things for sure though, Thomas is probably feeling pretty baller tonight for not pissing his pants on live TV during the Anita Hill investigation.

Kavanaugh going down in flames for McConnell is probably the best outcome for him, because he didn't want him to begin with and still has time to confirm another justice before the election.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah but I have to imagine this whole event is going to be a negative for the GOP in the polls, especially with women. Look what happened after Clarence Thomas got rammed through.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I gotta say, today's hearing transformed my opinion of Kavanaugh from normal, boring, turdly conservative to absolute whiney little poo poo bitch who can't even be trusted to weigh in on otherwise nonpartisan cases. Like holy poo poo.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

psydude posted:

Kavanaugh going down in flames for McConnell is probably the best outcome for him, because he didn't want him to begin with and still has time to confirm another justice before the election.

A useful infographic:

https://twitter.com/FiveThirtyEight/status/1045428923440525312

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah but I have to imagine this whole event is going to be a negative for the GOP in the polls, especially with women. Look what happened after Clarence Thomas got rammed through.

On the one hand, the GOP is losing an entire generation with something absurd like +70% of under-35 women voting Democratic over the past two years. I fully expect in the next 5-10 years to see the GOP half-heartedly attempt (and fail to) address their 'Woman voter problem' just as they previously did with their 'Hispanic' and 'Black' voter problems in the 90s and 00s.

That said, one of the points that really struck me from Perlstein's books on the rise of conservatism in the 60s and 70s was that despite all the talk about women's lib and the New Left, the real foot soldiers of conservatism during the time were women who felt that second wave feminism was an attack on their traditional values, religious morals, and sense of decency, and went out to build reactionary grass roots movements for Goldwater, Nixon, and Reagan.

The Republicans are doing everything in their power and then some to poison their relationship with women, but never underestimate the ability for people to double down against their own interests for the chance to 'save the babies' or 'show those harlots.'

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:allears:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A useful infographic:

https://twitter.com/FiveThirtyEight/status/1045428923440525312

On the one hand, the GOP is losing an entire generation with something absurd like +70% of under-35 women voting Democratic over the past two years. I fully expect in the next 5-10 years to see the GOP half-heartedly attempt (and fail to) address their 'Woman voter problem' just as they previously did with their 'Hispanic' and 'Black' voter problems in the 90s and 00s.

That said, one of the points that really struck me from Perlstein's books on the rise of conservatism in the 60s and 70s was that despite all the talk about women's lib and the New Left, the real foot soldiers of conservatism during the time were women who felt that second wave feminism was an attack on their traditional values, religious morals, and sense of decency, and went out to build reactionary grass roots movements for Goldwater, Nixon, and Reagan.

The Republicans are doing everything in their power and then some to poison their relationship with women, but never underestimate the ability for people to double down against their own interests for the chance to 'save the babies' or 'show those harlots.'

Yeah. I think the lines between political parties are being redrawn along cultural, rather than economic, policies. I think, long term, Republicans end up like the white minority parties of South Africa. And much like the white minority parties of South Africa, they're trying their damndest to drag everyone down with them on their way out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fister Roboto posted:

Graham is completely losing his poo poo.

It would've appeared so if he didn't glance at his loving script every 5 words.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

Still the case in Northern Ireland. They can't even form a government because Loyalist conservative shitheads don't want people learning Irish or talking about abortion.

I thought anglicans didn't care about abortion and catholics cared a lot.

DoktorLoken posted:

Have DoJ interpret crossing state lines to get an abortion an "immoral purpose" and let Mann act and Chevron take its course.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

I can't speak to the other two but Murkowski seems to vote in lock step more often than not. About the only thing that might cause her to vote 'NO' is the fact that her seat is up for election this year. She doesn't have much of a spine though, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The breaking point is indeed women, but women of color.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

I can't speak to the other two but Murkowski seems to vote in lock step more often than not. About the only thing that might cause her to vote 'NO' is the fact that her seat is up for election this year. She doesn't have much of a spine though, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Both the Governor and Lt Governor of Alaska have come out against Kavanaugh due to some rulings he made against Native American groups, so Murkowski probably has the most reason in the group to vote NO.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

boop the snoot posted:

I will always remember that Scalia 2 started his career by crying about calanders.

I may forget the specifics of an old white man's self rightious and monotone rendition of Shaggy's "It wasn't me".

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

I will always remember that Scalia 2 started his career by crying about calanders.

I may forget the specifics of an old white man's self rightious and monotone rendition of Shaggy's "It wasn't me".

I DIDN'T HAVE RAPE PENCILED IN ON MY CALENDAR, LOOK! :qq:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

orange juche posted:

Nope, it just says "over-privileged turd" every day.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
In other news Elon Musk got sued by the SEC today and they want him barred from running public companies :classiclol:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

I'd never rape a woman. I love women! Almost as much as I love beer.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Nothing matters. He will be confirmed.

Then another Supreme Court judge will retire/die and Trump will get to pick #3.

Good luck women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Pretty good summation of where we're at as a country:

https://twitter.com/petridishes/status/1045424411950632960

• Locked thread