Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hambeet posted:

I'm always curious as to why motorists don't like the idea of cyclists being separated. It gets them off more roads! You don't have to worry about them! I thought it was a win win.

It's not the motorists as such, it's the people who don't want resources diverted away from roads, because cars and infrastructure and petrol sales, the whole vested interest problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Scummo announced just now he wants to merge the ABC and SBS to clear out the corruption.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

All part of the plan

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Anidav posted:

All part of the plan

lmao, this fuckin idiot having a crack at leadership crises in other mobs

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
It'll work, like it usually does. They hosed the ABC with lovely appointments and now will you use the predictable turmoils to gently caress it harder. I'm sure people in here called it at the time and now it's here. Watch as Murdock runs daily mud stirring articles and the boomers eat it all up. Hell if they made the hoo haa they did about laybor leadership madness this is a slam dunk.

Edit: just realised this gives them to much credit, I don't think they planned it this way like puppet (muppet?) Masters but I think they are opportunistic enough and have the support needed from other vested interests to do some damage.

Tasmantor fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 28, 2018

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Dude McAwesome posted:

lmao, this fuckin idiot having a crack at leadership crises in other mobs

Should merge the Liberal and National parties... add stability

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

new law: mandatory bike license, and you can't get one unless you've completed a cert iv in aged care services

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

How does merging the two benefit the LNP? One budget to cut? More positions to stack with mates?

Wouldn't such a thing need to pass the senate? I guess Pauline would support loving up the ABC. Hmmm

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It wouldn't benefit the LNP, because it would just infuriate the 60 odd percent of non-base voters.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Make safe cycling part of physical education curriculum

Add a couple of extra road-share questions in the driver's license test

Anytime cycling infrastructure is built match dollar for dollar on government owned burn out recreation parks
or
council owned burn out parks on the same model as council pools

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So why merge em

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
'cause Morrison dumb

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Should merge the Liberal and National parties... add stability

Merge them into the ocean

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Federal Labor has rubbished a petition being circulated by fund manager Geoff Wilson protesting plans to scrap cash payments for excess franking credits, after 10 opposition MPs, including policy architect and shadow treasurer Chris Bowen, received emails from Mr Wilson thanking them for signing it.

Mr Wilson has counter-attacked, saying he called the Australian Federal Police after being told by Mr Bowen that his petition was dodgy. He contends Labor tried to sabotage the petition in an attempt to discredit it. In a bruising exchange of emails, Mr Wilson challenges Mr Bowen’s competency to be Treasurer. Mr Bowen accuses him of being a vested interest with scant regard for the budget bottom line.

Mr Wilson, the founder of Wilson Asset Management, is leading the charge against Labor’s policy to change dividend imputation rules for shareholders. Pensioners are exempt.

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2018/09/just-ignore-geoff-wilson-mr-bowen/

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

There's a story in the guardian about fifield appointing the abc board and bypassing merit based criteria. Hope this line gets pushed "ABC chaos due to LNP"

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Measly Twerp posted:

Are you really arguing against "be seen at night"? Or are you just being "ironically" stupid?

You can be seen at night just fine by using proper lights on your bike.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh my god shut the gently caress up about bikes.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

ewe2 posted:

It's not the motorists as such, it's the people who don't want resources diverted away from roads, because cars and infrastructure and petrol sales, the whole vested interest problem.

There's also the people who don't want space taken away from cars.

I went doorknocking around a "bike boulevard" (road where cyclists are given priority) and a few people noted while they themselves supported the bike boulevard coz it made the area safer to walk/cycle, their neighbours hated that the road slowed them down. There were also people who hated a nearby protected cycle lane on a busy road because it took parking spaces away from cars, as if people have more of a right to use public space for car storage than cyclists do for their safety.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

So why merge em
At the very least it means that advertising is now de jure OK on the ABC. The SBS has ads because that battle was lost years ago. I think the SBS charter is also a little bit more inconvenient than the ABC charter for the "lets all pray to Jesus" types so amalgamation would mean being able to throw that in the bin too. Worst of both worlds.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Almost all the directors of the ABC’s eight-member board were appointed directly by the minister for communications, Mitch Fifield, and some were appointed after being rejected by the merit-based nominations panel, documents obtained by the Guardian show.

Documents obtained by Guardian Australia show that of the five most recent appointments, all were direct recommendations by Fifield.

Although the Coalition made much of establishing a merits-based nominations process for the ABC and SBS board appointments in 2013, it has either circumvented or ignored it in recent years.

Of the appointments since 2015, two did not go through the nomination panel at all; two were considered but not recommended by the panel and were still appointed by the minister; and one was deemed by the panel to be “very suitable” but withdrew before the final recommendations, only to be then urged directly by the minister to accept a place.

The appointments process is revealed in statements of reasons which must be tabled in parliament by the minister and questions he has answered in Senate estimates in 2017.

The most controversial has been the appointment of Vanessa Guthrie, the chairwoman of the Minerals Council of Australia, whose appointment was widely criticised as being political.

The selection criteria for the nominations panel say candidates must have substantial experience in at least one of the following: experience in the media industry or digital technologies; business or financial management; or corporate governance experience, including managing a large or complex operation in the private or public sector.

Vanessa Guthrie had been a mining executive and is on the board of Santos, and is chair of the coal industry’s lobby group, but she had no broadcasting experience and her executive roles appeared to have been limited to smaller mining companies.

In Senate estimates, Fifield revealed she had applied through the panel process but was not on their list of recommendations. In his statement of reasons, tabled in parliament, he described her as a “strong, qualified candidate”, and that she would add to the gender and geographic diversity of the board as she was from Western Australia.

At the same estimates hearing he revealed that Georgie Somerset, a farmer from Queensland, was “one of the minister’s recommendations”.

Somerset has been on the board of the Royal Flying Doctor Service in Queensland and some other not-for-profit roles, but has no broadcasting, digital, or in-depth management experience of a large organisation.

Donny Walford, a businesswoman from South Australia, appointed in 2015, does not appear to have gone through the nominations process at all.

In the statement of reasons, Fifield makes no reference to the panel except to say that she was assessed against their criteria, and considered to have “a substantial level of experience and knowledge in business and financial management and corporate governance resulting from significant number of board and senior executive positions”.

Joseph Gersh, who was appointed in May this year, was shortlisted and interviewed but was not included in the final report by the nominations panel.

A lawyer, who runs a property investment bank in Melbourne, he was described by the Australian Financial Review’s Joe Aston as “a close confidante of former treasurer, Peter Costello”. As treasurer, Costello appointed Gersh to the Reserve Bank’s payment systems board.

Kirstin Ferguson appears to be the only recent appointment assessed as “very suitable” by the panel, but she withdrew her nomination and was later appointed directly by the minister.

A professional director, who serves on two ASX listed companies in the development sector, Ferguson is also an adjunct professor of business and has written on women in business. But she too lacks experience in broadcasting or media.

The only directors with experience in the media are the staff-elected director, Jane Connors, who was a broadcaster at Radio National and later a manager at the ABC, and Peter Lewis, who was a chief financial officer at the Seven Network.

Lewis also conducted an efficiency review of the ABC by the Abbott government in 2014 and afterwards was appointed to the board.

Milne is a close business associate and friend of the former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull and he had some relevant experience in telecommunications and digital businesses.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

So why merge em

It is what they think they can get away with, while increasing the ways they can gently caress with the broadcaster.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

froglet posted:

Pretty much this. Recently someone shared a picture of a road I used to ride quite regularly and there were so many problems - people would park in the bike lane to drop their kids off at school, there was a bike lane that abruptly ended at a stop sign and there was no feasible way for you to safely cross the road due to 4 lanes of traffic and a turning lane, a bus stop blocked the view for any overtaking drivers, etc.

infrastructure like tram stops....???

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Anidav posted:

All part of the plan

yes please push for this closer to the election

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
There’s evidence of corruption at the ABC, so privatize it because uh
There’s evidence of corruption at the ABC, so merge it with SBS because uh
There’s evidence of corruption at the ABC, so do this thing I want that does gently caress all to address the problem because gently caress you

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/PatsKarvelas/status/1045237600460496897

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Typical that Jemima would get overlooked for a bunch of men

e: no, there she is obscured by Humpty Dumpty, my bad

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Box of Bunnies posted:

Typical that Jemima would get overlooked for a bunch of men

e: no, there she is obscured by Humpty Dumpty, my bad

That's Humpty Dumpty for you, always sitting on things he shouldn't be.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Can we somehow merge the two narratives 'ABC a mess' and 'Liberal Ministers appointed people without merit to ABC board' into 'Liberals deliberately hosed the ABC, this mess is the Liberals fault. Liberal Ministers abuse their powers and keep loving poo poo up?'

Someone in here has to work for buzzfeed, the bar to write for that place is so low its practically in the basement.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Konomex posted:

Can we somehow merge the two narratives 'ABC a mess' and 'Liberal Ministers appointed people without merit to ABC board' into 'Liberals deliberately hosed the ABC, this mess is the Liberals fault. Liberal Ministers abuse their powers and keep loving poo poo up?'

This is what has actually happened. It's their own fault and they're not taking any blame for it as usual.

Funnily enough the ABC are the best placed to put these two pieces together and considering how fired up Barrie Cassidy has been about this hopefully he gives 'em both barrels on Sunday morning.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Fifield can get fifucked. Smug prick.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Doesn't even recognise Little Ted mista speakah

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

AbortRetryFail posted:

Give him a booting

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/1045529294565302273

Not sure I'd need so many volumes for just the word GUILLOTINE printed over and over

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lol so Frydenburg is scum. The executive summary of the report concludes that new laws should be made, existing laws should be strengthened or simplified.

Frydenburg is then all like: The commission believes existing laws should be simplified :eng101:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Coalition is definitely going to conclude too much red tape caused this!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The Banks broke all these laws. To prevent the banks from breaking these laws in the future, we will remove these laws.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

AbortRetryFail posted:

gently caress off Tim Wilson.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

AbortRetryFail posted:

Every time Tim Wilson tries to be "funny" it comes off as the smuggest, saddest jokes you've ever heard. Guy must be great at parties. In short

GoldStandardConure posted:

gently caress off Tim Wilson.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/fraser_anning/status/1045530217735905280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Banking stocks soar after Royal Commission report calls them corrupt and greedy.

• Locked thread