Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The new blue zone opacity is a real bitch if you're riding the edge of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Party Plane Jones posted:

The new blue zone opacity is a real bitch if you're riding the edge of it.

It's horrible and it needs to be changed. I really like the look of it and how defined it is... but punishing players for being in the play zone seems harsh. Make it harder to see in from the outside, sure. Don't make it hard to see through when you are in the play zone.

I've purposely gone into the blue to kill people because you can't see, and I've stayed in the blue longer than normal because it's so hard to see into it. That's not how Brendan Greene should want people to play this game.

fog + blue zone = literally can't see anything

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah it's a double-edged sword, if they turn the opacity down (like it was previously) it's extremely difficult to tell where the circle ends at range.

In the current form, though, I've been hosed over by people on the other side of the circle whose movement was masked by the effect.

Generally you can mitigate this with better cover selection, though, when playing the edge of the circle.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I use brightly colored skins because I want people to shoot at me so I can shoot at them and murder them :shrug:

Whereas if I'm seen, I feel like I did something wrong.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It's horrible and it needs to be changed. I really like the look of it and how defined it is... but punishing players for being in the play zone seems harsh. Make it harder to see in from the outside, sure. Don't make it hard to see through when you are in the play zone.

I've purposely gone into the blue to kill people because you can't see, and I've stayed in the blue longer than normal because it's so hard to see into it. That's not how Brendan Greene should want people to play this game.

fog + blue zone = literally can't see anything

I like it, its less punishing on people trying to get out of the blue. I hate edge campers that are waiting for the folks running for their life to make it in the zone. At least do what I do and wait till they stop right on the inside to heal :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Accretionist posted:

Whereas if I'm seen, I feel like I did something wrong.

I dress in all brown so I can silently prone in the back bedroom of those huts on Sanhok and be mistaken for a rug if someone comes in.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
naked and free, the only way to be

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

pocket pool posted:

Yeah it's a double-edged sword, if they turn the opacity down (like it was previously) it's extremely difficult to tell where the circle ends at range.

https://streamable.com/qvdn2

it's sort of absurd how hard it is to see people on both sides point blank

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://streamable.com/qvdn2

it's sort of absurd how hard it is to see people on both sides point blank

He stepped out from behind the rock face. Also don't play 3rd person and its easier to see :shrug:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I wouldn't be surprised if the blue zone renders drastically different for different people even in the same situation, just like the fog.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
If you stand right in front of the blue you can see through it 100 percent fine. Of course, that also means you are standing in the open so it's pretty bad.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Saw a famous name go by on the kill feed, so BCRock & I went for a look around to see what was happening:
https://clips.twitch.tv/QuaintThankfulSwanPeoplesChamp

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

Saw a famous name go by on the kill feed, so BCRock & I went for a look around to see what was happening:
https://clips.twitch.tv/QuaintThankfulSwanPeoplesChamp

Are you deliberately playing on a distant server for the higher ping or is that just the fake PUBG network statistics being useless?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
What kind of pings are people seeing typically in the USA? I have 200down/10up and mine sits around 87ms on Charter/Spectrum/Time Warner whatever they call themselves now. All the random speed tests show about 230-260 down with 10ms tho.. I dunno if they purposely pair to the major speed tests to give people boners or not.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The only NA servers are east coast somewhere so if you're not east coast you'll have kind of a crappy ping even to NA

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
This is on Spectrum's best tier cable in Los Angeles (on NA servers) but I bounce between 80-160 typically so I don't know if this indicates it's broken or if it indicates gently caress Spectrum.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Also in Los Angeles and my pings are generally half of what EF sees in the same games, so it's more likely he has lovely internet.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Philthy posted:

What kind of pings are people seeing typically in the USA? I have 200down/10up and mine sits around 87ms on Charter/Spectrum/Time Warner whatever they call themselves now. All the random speed tests show about 230-260 down with 10ms tho.. I dunno if they purposely pair to the major speed tests to give people boners or not.

I get 10-11 from South Carolina, with 0% packet loss. I never saw a ping or packet loss spike, yet I get frequent jump cancels and other desync.

I absolutely am not getting a legitimate, stable 10 or 11ms ping unless my neighbors are hosting the PUBG server farm, which actually is more likely than it should be. It'd certainly explain the terrible server performance.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I enjoy my retro ping, it makes me appreciate kills more.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

BCRock posted:

Also in Los Angeles and my pings are generally half of what EF sees in the same games, so it's more likely he has lovely internet.

If the servers were all on the east coast, the speed of light guarantees at least a ~40 ms transit time from LA, and probably higher because the Internet does not actually operate at the speed of light. So if you're not seeing ~80ms or higher, you're not talking to an east coast server.

(Source: https://serverfault.com/questions/137348/how-much-network-latency-is-typical-for-east-west-coast-usa)

For a game with semi-decent netcode, I'd expect the in-game ping to be pushing 100 regularly for such a user.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Right, so one of two things are true then:

1) The network status overlay in PUBG lies, or
2) The poster who said all the servers are on the east coast doesn't know wtf he's talking about

Both are likely to be true, but also who cares.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I get constant packet loss on the upstream and usually around a 70 m/s ping. I am in Dallas on a 75/75 fios line and this is the only game I don't have a sub 10 m/s connection.

I get a lot of desync :(

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I kinda can't buy that one of the most popular games in the world doesn't have west coast servers.

e: then again I could be wrong it is bluehole, but doesn't anyone have The Straight Dope on this

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

BCRock posted:

Right, so one of two things are true then:

1) The network status overlay in PUBG lies, or
2) The poster who said all the servers are on the east coast doesn't know wtf he's talking about

Both are likely to be true, but also who cares.

It is a mystery.

https://pubgserverstatus.com/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm 95% sure the US servers are in AWS us-east-2, which is in Columbus, Ohio.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I got a battleye 25 error the other night, woke up today telling me ive been banned?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Stop cheating?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

BCRock posted:

Stop cheating?

I think my stats and the guys on discord who know me show I'm too bad to be cheating. I think I'd kill my self if I was as bad as I am at something even whilst trying and cheating.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I assumed you weren't actually cheating...

There was some issue an update or two ago where a bunch of people were getting erroneously banned. Maybe it's happening again. They reversed those bans pretty quickly.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

willie_dee posted:

I think my stats and the guys on discord who know me show I'm too bad to be cheating. I think I'd kill my self if I was as bad as I am at something even whilst trying and cheating.

Maybe you'd have to be cheating to be as bad as you are?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Isn’t this the guy from the martial arts thread who juices so he’ll have the upper hand in moped thieves?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

Isn’t this the guy from the martial arts thread who juices so he’ll have the upper hand in moped thieves?

Let's not conflate real life with video games, I'm a casual player at most these days. Also note that I haven't entered any fights or competitions and said it's because of my past drug use for not wanting it to be unfair on people who aren't on the juice.

Just got an auto response from the support team "yes you are banned, its automatic, we don't manually check anything and won't tell you why you are banned"

I have never cheated in an online game. I've played in maybe 3 games since the new pubg training match was released, my stats or elo or what ever are garbage, I rarely get a kill before I'm killed. Something has gone wrong. I'm not too bothered because I don't play it much anymore, but it would be nice to fix.

I'm assuming it's a software issue over me being a toxic player, I've not TK'd ever nor do I use the in game voice chat, only the goon discord (Deelop)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

willie_dee posted:

I'm assuming it's a software issue over me being a toxic player, I've not TK'd ever nor do I use the in game voice chat, only the goon discord (Deelop)

God I fuckin' wish they'd ban people who say racist poo poo over in-game voice chat, some rear end in a top hat kid failed at stream sniping ChocoTaco yesterday and then called him the N-word. That's probably worth a perma-mute over, if not a ban. If they took a hard-line against racist poo poo and other toxic abuse, the lobbies would be a lot more fun.

You probably had a process running on your computer that mistakenly triggered Battleye. Wouldn't be the first time PUBG's implementation has been a bit overzealous.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hellsau posted:

God I fuckin' wish they'd ban people who say racist poo poo over in-game voice chat

signed.

this is by far the worst aspect of the game.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I would take quiet, constructive racism over people yelling like murder victims, whistling the ghostbusters theme or blasting eastern European techno music all 4 of which happened in 10 seconds the last time i accidentally unmuted voice chat

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
"constructive racism"

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

CrRoMa posted:

Constructive racism

jfc

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I tried to swap my busted helmet for a fresh one last night and it kept telling me "not enough space" I couldn't drop the busted helmet I was wearing either, ended up having to drop stuff from my bag swap helmets and then pick the stuff back up. Also noticed that a lvl 3 backpack was full with 2 first aid, 2 painkiller, 3 energy drinks, and ~ 450rds of ammo. Did they gently caress with the item weight in this past update?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

JEEVES420 posted:

I tried to swap my busted helmet for a fresh one last night and it kept telling me "not enough space" I couldn't drop the busted helmet I was wearing either, ended up having to drop stuff from my bag swap helmets and then pick the stuff back up. Also noticed that a lvl 3 backpack was full with 2 first aid, 2 painkiller, 3 energy drinks, and ~ 450rds of ammo. Did they gently caress with the item weight in this past update?

They didn't but I think there is a bug that won't let you pick poo poo up. It's only happened to me once... but it's out there!

Also 450 rounds of ammo is a gently caress ton of ammo and it entirely depends on the type of ammo you are carrying for weight :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why do you need 450 rounds unless you plan on killing half the server and then not looting?

Also. FACE IT for PUBG is launching today. If you want slightly smaller servers (70?), slightly more loot, maybe some other changes, there's a chance it's decent. Also larger streamers like Shroud and Chacotaco are going to be doing their own league with their own custom rulesets.

Oh, and region locking

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 28, 2018