Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

phasmid posted:

Whoa...now I'm torn.

Dude, I'm telling you...and I've been saying it for like 10 years. It has to happen. If I will it then it will happen.

Eva Green IS Jessica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

phasmid posted:

Hmmm. I wonder if Tom Hardy is too long in the tooth...

Not Duncan, but Gurney Halleck. A grumbly, grumbly Gurney.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

After watching Good Time I'm convinced Robert Pattinson would be good as Feyd.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

phasmid posted:

Brian Herbert wears a beanie with a propeller and brushes his teeth with chocolate bars.

Lmfao.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

After watching Good Time I'm convinced Robert Pattinson would be good as Feyd.

Andy Serkis?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They always cast Paul too old but would anyone want to watch an annoying teen actor.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JebanyPedal posted:

They always cast Paul too old but would anyone want to watch an annoying teen actor.

Chalomet is about as good a pick as one could hope for, I'd say. A proven name who can actually act and is interested in the material and director.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Daniel Craig as Duke Leto imho. He does good imperious nobleman.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Idris Elba as Stringer Corino IV?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Jake Gyllenhaal as Bubble Boy as Paul

e: alternatively Jake Gyllenhaal as his character from Nightcrawler as Fenring

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

Idris Elba as Stringer Corino IV?

Mentat, is you takin’ notes on a galactic fuckin’ conspiracy?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ratatozsk posted:

lol

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ratatozsk posted:

That nigga that stay spicin', that's the nigga I want to hear about.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Was there a reason they didn't use guns on Dune besides dart guns?

Dune's initial set dressing is full of contrivances to allow for swords being practical and widespread weapons. From the Guild using its magically-justified transportation monopoly to force Houses to keep violence discrete and efficient, to the force field/lasgun nuclear reaction. on Dune itself, there's the added catch that forcefields make the worms go apeshit, so outside the big capital city you can shoot tranq dart pistols and knifefight without being an awkward square roblox man. But if there's no forcefields stopping kinetic weapons out on the dunes, why didn't they just use old-fashioned slug throwing guns then? Would the noise also attract shai'hulud?

I also like how at some point in books 4-5-6, they explain to Duncan that Leto II banned shields for a while, and then afterwards everyone agreed to not use them and use lasguns because swordfighting is dumb when you have guns.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Maybe because shields had rendered most guns so ineffective that they had largely vanished? If shield malfunction was relegated to Arrakis (assuming the rest of the galaxy somehow failed to present a similar environment that evoked failure) the urge to resurrect guns may not have been sufficient to upend the monopoly of Knifes ‘R Us.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ratatozsk posted:

Maybe because shields had rendered most guns so ineffective that they had largely vanished? If shield malfunction was relegated to Arrakis (assuming the rest of the galaxy somehow failed to present a similar environment that evoked failure) the urge to resurrect guns may not have been sufficient to upend the monopoly of Knifes ‘R Us.

This, though they do use Maula pistols on Dune, but the weather tends to ruin a lot of tech.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Paul, frozen and watching the hunter-seeker: gently caress
Shadout Mapes enters: gently caress gently caress gently caress
Paul: gently caress! Fuckfuckfuck
Shadout Mapes: Fuuuuuuck
Guards: gently caress! gently caress!
Paul: gently caress.
Shadout Mapes: gently caress! conspiratorily fuckfuckfuckfuck gently caress?
Paul: gently caress! loving fucks!
Leto: gently caress!

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Every single person and organization is run by hyper-competent rainmen (except when they're not competent), who always correctly feng shui and color coordinate poo poo for maximum psychological impact, and every family has like 5 separate secret spoken and signed languages. Even the Fremen are shown to have some kind of plastic production facility for making various stuff. They can make some metal guns for killing smugglers or Fremen.

It's like if every oil well emitted a energy field only allowing a special kind of gun to work near it. Every PMC would have a few of those babies.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Every single person and organization is run by hyper-competent rainmen (except when they're not competent), who always correctly feng shui and color coordinate poo poo for maximum psychological impact, and every family has like 5 separate secret spoken and signed languages. Even the Fremen are shown to have some kind of plastic production facility for making various stuff. They can make some metal guns for killing smugglers or Fremen.

It's like if every oil well emitted a energy field only allowing a special kind of gun to work near it. Every PMC would have a few of those babies.

You wouldn't dare say this in chakobsa, the secret battle language of the Atreides that everyone happens to recognize immediately as chakobsa, the secret battle language of the Atreides.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Oh, this was always weird: http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Harum

Like, okay, Leto II's internal hivemind is ruled by someone whose personality predominates over the rest, like with Alia and the Baron. But his is just some completely random Egyptian dude who has no relation to anything beyond being a harsh ruler, who I don't think is ever really mentioned besides once or twice?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Like, okay, Leto II's internal hivemind is ruled by someone whose personality predominates over the rest, like with Alia and the Baron. But his is just some completely random Egyptian dude who has no relation to anything beyond being a harsh ruler, who I don't think is ever really mentioned besides once or twice?

He found the Millennium Puzzle.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

My takeaway is that he was one of those benign personalities that helps you stave off the vampiric "possessive" mentalities. Weird that Leto would make his inner peace with a guy like that when early on in the book he's talking a bunch of poo poo on the pharaohs and caesars for codifying tyranny.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Also, the wiki says that he is presumed to be Egyptian/Babylonian because he ruled for "three thousand of our years". That doesn't give us much to go on because we don't know how the human race at that point measures years. Certainly not Solar years.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

phasmid posted:

Also, the wiki says that he is presumed to be Egyptian/Babylonian because he ruled for "three thousand of our years". That doesn't give us much to go on because we don't know how the human race at that point measures years. Certainly not Solar years.
I think there's a universal year, though I also think it's slightly shorter than the current system? It's not so far off that you can't recognize some key dates in that timeline in Encyclopedia.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Nessus posted:

I think there's a universal year, though I also think it's slightly shorter than the current system? It's not so far off that you can't recognize some key dates in that timeline in Encyclopedia.

Yeah, I think there's an Imperial Standard. It just makes me wonder when they say that the average person on a spice diet can live to be 200. What is that to us? Less? More?

Maybe I'll ask KJA. He knows a lot about space and science, I hear.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

phasmid posted:

Yeah, I think there's an Imperial Standard. It just makes me wonder when they say that the average person on a spice diet can live to be 200. What is that to us? Less? More?

Maybe I'll ask KJA. He knows a lot about space and science, I hear.

Heretics of Dune posted:

"Taraza was momentarily abashed. This was an imposition. Teg was still a regal figure, tall and with that large head topped by gray hair. He was, she knew, four SY short of three hundred. Granting that the Standard Year was some twenty hours less than the so-called primitive year, it was still an impressive age with experiences in Bene Gesserit service that demanded that she respect him."

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
How primitive are we talking?! Dammit, Frank!

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
My favourite part of dune was how ornithopters became obsolete the second you built one rocket turret

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

phasmid posted:

His DYNASTY ruled for 3000 years, which yeah, never happened in either Babylon or Egypt, but it's not the dude himself.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Julia Louise Dreyfus as Jessica
Michael Richards as Hawat
Jason Alexander as Gurney
Jerry Seinfeld as Leto I

It's set 25 years before Dune and it's called Nothing Within Nothing.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Vlex posted:

His DYNASTY ruled for 3000 years, which yeah, never happened in either Babylon or Egypt, but it's not the dude himself.

I'm so confused. :(

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Julia Louise Dreyfus as Jessica
Michael Richards as Hawat
Jason Alexander as Gurney
Jerry Seinfeld as Leto I

It's set 25 years before Dune and it's called Nothing Within Nothing.

The guy who played Crazy Joe DeVola as Piter DeVries.

"Heyyyy, Leto."
(uneasily) "Hey, Piter."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Newman, then, obviously, as the Baron.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vlex posted:

Technically, and depending how much you're willing to believe in Japanese mythology, the Yamato dynasty is over 2,500. Long as they don't get abolished in the next half millennium they could make it.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Newman, then, obviously, as the Baron.

Harkonnen!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

JebanyPedal posted:

I'd take David Mazouz, he's pretty solid as an angsty-yet-not-annoying teen Bruce Wayne on Gotham. Plus (never really thought about this), there's similarities between Bruce and Paul: dead dad, skilled fighter, smart as hell, driven by sense of destiny and purpose and striking fear into the heart of his enemies...

"That's it! I shall become a worm!"

poo poo, now I want to draw a parody comic like that.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Hmmm. Now that you mention it, Carmen Bicondova does have that "elfin" face that Chani is described as having.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
My father ruled Gotham with financial power. I must rule it with bat power.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'd take David Mazouz, he's pretty solid as an angsty-yet-not-annoying teen Bruce Wayne on Gotham. Plus (never really thought about this), there's similarities between Bruce and Paul: dead dad, skilled fighter, smart as hell, driven by sense of destiny and purpose and striking fear into the heart of his enemies...

"That's it! I shall become a worm!"

poo poo, now I want to draw a parody comic like that.

Earthworm Jim reboot sounding good!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They call her Hawt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Whadda I gotta do to get the Tleilaxu to build me a hot tailor-made gf who will love me unconditionally, Hwi Noree style?