Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FelicityGS posted:

A friend of mine has a mixed cat-half Norweigan forest cat and half Maine coon--and he has some weird obvious fur differences too. His underside fur is entirely different from his back and ruff, which makes keeping him tangle free a chore apparently.

In either case, no matter what Princess is, dont worry--plenty of cats end up with mishmash coats.

Yeah, I wasn't too worried about that in particular so much as confused; it's like she's shedding a winter coat or something, which would make sense given the heat, except summer is ending (though still really hot much of the day) and she's been a big puffball the whole time, but I figured it was either a weird genetic thing or related to her getting older and thus might come back when it starts to cool off again. Her size combined with her suckling at my blanket and stuff now and then are what mostly concerned me, but she is growing and she doesn't seem stressed (quite the opposite in fact) when she does the above, so if none of that triggered any alarm here I think it's fine.

Huntersoninski posted:

Cat genes are weird. A cat can come from a regular old stray dsh mother and still wind up with siamese-looking point coloration. I had a cat growing up with the maine coon fur and ear fluff and giant long tail but both her parents were just rando farm cats. Unless your cat was bought from a breeder I strongly doubt she's a pure bred anything because it's very unlikely (not impossible but unlikely) that someone turned over a $1k cat to a shelter.

Unless you got papers, just assume she's a very pretty moggy.

Yeah, while I can't definitively rule out the possibility of my aunt buying an expensive cat for her daughter without asking first, it seems very, very unlikely that she'd drop that much that easily. I don't even know if there's anyone who breeds them around here. Though as above I think we should ask her at some point anyway.

IronDoge posted:

I have a very fluffy tabby as well. My friends keep telling me it could be Maine Coon, but I just think he's just a poofy cat. His coat definitely needs constant brushing and I'll get a decent chunk of hair every couple days when I finish. He has seemingly grown a lot faster than my other kitten who I got at the same time and around the same age.

Wow, he looks like he could be related to Princess. Also, now that you mention it, that reminds me that I should see about getting brushes for the both of them. Not sure what to look for there, though.

Edit:

explosivo posted:

Has anyone had a cat that never had hairballs? I'm 2/2 so far (*knock on wood*) for cats that thus far have never coughed up a hairball. As a first time catman I'm very okay with this.

Over the course of my life I've had quite a few cats, and hairballs were never really a problem for any of them. Some had them a few times but it's never been a major or frequent thing.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Maine Coons aren't expensive cats, they and moggies thereof show up all the time in shelters. I was mainly thinking Coon from the ear tufts, didn't realize domestic longhairs had them, too.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
We have a 16 week old kitten. We have another cat, a 5 year old. They get along fairly well. We have two litter boxes, both those Omega Paw rolling types with the big hoods. The kitten seems to wait until my wife and I get home and she shits on the floor in one of the bedrooms. We can't figure out why, as we've seen her use the litter boxes on many occasions.

She only does it after we're home, is she mad that we leave her for work each day? Separation anxiety thing? The first 8 weeks we had her (through July and August) my wife was home all day (teacher, off in the summer).

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Roland Jones posted:

Wow, he looks like he could be related to Princess. Also, now that you mention it, that reminds me that I should see about getting brushes for the both of them. Not sure what to look for there, though.

I just got a zampa shedding tool to replace my furminator, and I love it to pieces. Lucky does not, but it does such a better job at keeping his coat less hair everywhere.

I also have a pretty soft plastic brush that was supposed to be for me that he loves to be pet by, even though it's less effective. Between the two of them, hes had a lot fewer hairballs.

Jve got some other odds and end brushes for special cases, but those two are the only ones I use frequently.

ETA-

I dont think I've posted a picture of a lucky in this thread so heres the boy!

felgs fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 27, 2018

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

explosivo posted:

Has anyone had a cat that never had hairballs? I'm 2/2 so far (*knock on wood*) for cats that thus far have never coughed up a hairball. As a first time catman I'm very okay with this.

:imunfunny:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Maine Coons aren't expensive cats, they and moggies thereof show up all the time in shelters. I was mainly thinking Coon from the ear tufts, didn't realize domestic longhairs had them, too.

Here in the UK they are! A Maine Coon kitten is normally at least $500 or so. I also have a pretty small apartment so I went for regular moggies. Now one of my less than six month old kittens is closing on 3kg in weight with a mane, floofy paws and and poofy tail, along with a tendency to trill an awful lot but never meow. I think I got a kitten with a lot of Maine Coon in her despite myself.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah, Princess doesn't meow either, she just makes some weird noises now and then. Almost like she's whining or crying, except she'll sometimes do it in situations where she's clearly not. She's a little weirdo sometimes.

Speaking of, as I was using my computer a little earlier, Salem hopped up onto the bed and lied against my leg (and over my mouse somewhat, they both like to get in the way of my mouse and on my keyboard), relaxing and enjoying being pet. A little later, Princess came in, jumped on the bed, and climbed over him to start nursing and kneading my blanket, completely heedless of how she was stepping on him with her back legs.

He wasn't too bothered by it, though he did move eventually. Bonus pics of the two after he moved:

Then she started attacking his tail.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Patrat posted:

Here in the UK they are! A Maine Coon kitten is normally at least $500 or so. I also have a pretty small apartment so I went for regular moggies. Now one of my less than six month old kittens is closing on 3kg in weight with a mane, floofy paws and and poofy tail, along with a tendency to trill an awful lot but never meow. I think I got a kitten with a lot of Maine Coon in her despite myself.

Huh. Here in the US, Coons and moggies thereof are fairly common in shelters. I used to volunteer at a shelter that got thirty of them rescued from a hoarder. I'd sit down in the shelter, start opening the bag of treats, and I'd suddenly be buried by a mountain of purring fur.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Synthbuttrange posted:

He really really loves you. If it's the first thing he does when you get home, try get his attention first rather than waiting for him to find you so you can manage what he does. You can try redirect his affection by either discouraging him from climbing you, either dumping him off or leaning over til he jumps to make sure he gets the message that your shoulders are not a place for him, or you can make it easier for him to get up on you without so much effort i.e. by kneeling so he doesnt need to do a full leap. Trimming his claws regularly should help with cuts and bleeding.

Yeah well, he just jumped on me while hissing and growling, shredded my shirt (literally brand new, bought it today, at least it was a cheap t-shirt), and shredded my neck, shoulder, and arm pretty good. All I did was get out of my desk chair to go pee, and walk past him. He's been fine all day..

Bipolar little poo poo. Glad I had a glass of water nearby, dumping that on him got him off me. Still growling every time I get near him. I'm sleeping with a spray bottle handy tonight.

I've been around cats most of my life. Never run into one that had these kind of mood swings.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

There's someone in the yospos thread who has a cat who sometimes goes totally wild crazy for no reason who's been diagnosed (I think?) with a sensory processing disorder that means he gets randomly overstimulated. Maybe your cat has something similar? Cats get aggressive fast when overstimulated, that's the cause of people complaining about petting a happy cat only for it to turn around and bite suddenly.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My cats are waking me up at 5-6 AM by biting and scratching my knee that's exposed. Or they will wrestle each other on top of me. When I put my leg under the blanket. They just jump on it.

Why are they doing this me. I don't feed them until I properly get up at 8 AM
They don't seem to drink water. They do drink the cat milk I get them from the supermarket. I think that that milk is safe for them to drink.

Picture of them sleeping

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Sefal posted:

My cats are waking me up at 5-6 AM by biting and scratching my knee that's exposed. Or they will wrestle each other on top of me. When I put my leg under the blanket. They just jump on it.
congrats your cats are in perfect working order

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Sefal posted:

Why are they doing this me. I don't feed them until I properly get up at 8 AM

Normal cat behaviour, especially for kittens. They want to play and they don't care that you're diurnal.

When my kittens were being little assholes I just locked them out of the bedroom at night. They eventually got used to the idea that we weren't going to get up and play with them in the dead of night and now, even though they enjoy cuddling at bedtime, when I turn the light off they generally run off to the living room to entertain themselves. Although when my husband is away they'll come and sleep on the bed next to me at night :3:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
It's good to know its normal behavior.
I think i'm just gonna stop giving milk and put more bowls with water around the house. To get them to drink water.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Sefal posted:

It's good to know its normal behavior.
I think i'm just gonna stop giving milk and put more bowls with water around the house. To get them to drink water.

Try getting a water fountain, they vastly prefer running water and they do not cost very much. I got one with a motion detector that only turns on if something moves then runs for a few minutes and it works pretty well. You also only need to refill a fountain once a week or so.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
At the local animal foundation place to get Salem fixed and vaccinated. Poor guy is not enjoying it in his carrier; he's not as bad as some cats I've seen, and calmed down a bit, but clearly isn't happy either. Any tips for if/when this is needed in the future?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Feliway wipes on the inside of the carrier. Leave the carrier in normal places in the house so they can smell/interact with it. Take occasional road trips so they don't associate the car with the vet, though their tiny brains probably don't make that connection. A towel over the create. Ear plugs.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
He had no problem getting in the carrier; I actually had to get Princess out of it first because she immediately went inside and made herself comfortable when I set it down to get him in, and to get him in after that I just got his attention with one of his mouse toys and threw it in, and he went right in after it. He didn't seem to care at all until I had to pick him up and take him to the car, and he didn't enjoy being stuck inside of it the trip over. Tried putting a towel over it on the way over to see if that helped, but no luck, so I had to just try to reassure him as best I could on the way there and while we waited. I'll try the other things though; already was thinking of trying to leave the carriers open and around going forward.

Tangent, what are some good ways to keep a cat entertained while they recover from surgery and thus can't be too active or play around with other cats? I don't want him to be miserable for the next two weeks, give or take. The other aspects of post-op care are pretty clear, but ways to keep cats happy when they can't play their normal ways, and particularly when they have to don't seem to be talked about so much.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Maybe some cat TV?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
A suction cup mounted bird feeder (the clear plastic kind) on a window has entertained our cats for hours on end. Highly recommended if it works in your living space. Bonus points if you can mount it near a cat tree or the like.

Something like this (just the first Amazon hit, can't vouch for this brand etc): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019NSZFYU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_-BtRBb0NR094Q

Itchy
May 23, 2006
Are there any self-cleaning litter boxes that are actually worth buying?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So Salem's doing alright now that he's back home, though he wasn't much happier on the ride back than he was there. Apparently he weighs 7.1 pounds, which seems like a lot for a cat his age, but he, like, doesn't seem fat? Just like he's grown up fast. I can provide better pictures, since I know "no, my cat totally isn't overweight!" is a cliche for people whose cats are overweight, but he passes the "can feel his ribs but not see them" test at least, and looks good from the side and the top when compared to those charts you see, as far as I can tell.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Anyone got ideas for keeping Fred calm at night? He has Hieronymous to play with, and they play pretty much daily, we play with him too, but every night he goes nuts chasing the other cats, making a huge racket, and so on. My mom will never shut their bedroom door so he usually gets dumped in my room awhile a I am nocturnal, and sometimes he's chill, but he loves going ballistic. We've tried waking him in the day so he's tired at night and stuff, but he has literally infinite energy.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Leaving carriers open and out is a good plan. When we had a huge earthquake that smashed a bunch of crap in our house and had to evacuate because of the tsunami risk we found one of our cats already curled up in his carrier. Still cries piteously in the car but the carrier itself is not a problem.

Also the recovery time for a neuter is not particularly long or onerous if it was a straightforward surgery. Just stop him from mauling/being mauled by your other cat for a few days. The only thing I remember doing for Hugo after he was desexed was feeding him on the ground and putting other things of interest at ground level so he didn't jump as much.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
So I'm preparing to hey a second cat to keep Hank busy and I'm planning on sequestering the new cat in the old litter room, while moving Hank's box into the spare bedroom and making sure there's some feliway around to chill them both out.

The door gap is pretty big so they could interact under it, and I'm planning to sequester Hank and let the new cat out for some roaming time during the transition.

I guess I'm really just looking for validation that this plan will work to minimize the risk of fighting.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Itchy posted:

Are there any self-cleaning litter boxes that are actually worth buying?
I have the Litter Robot and while it's pricey (and bulky!) it does the job very nicely. My litter involvement these days is making sure the litter is topped off and pulling the bag from the drawer and replacing it with an empty one when it's filled, once every five days because I have two cats. The cats like it too since it cleans the box almost immediately after they use it so they don't have to wait for my lazy rear end to come home and do it.

Ms Adequate posted:

Anyone got ideas for keeping Fred calm at night? He has Hieronymous to play with, and they play pretty much daily, we play with him too, but every night he goes nuts chasing the other cats, making a huge racket, and so on. My mom will never shut their bedroom door so he usually gets dumped in my room awhile a I am nocturnal, and sometimes he's chill, but he loves going ballistic. We've tried waking him in the day so he's tired at night and stuff, but he has literally infinite energy.
How old is he? If he's young, he'll likely age out of it. If you're playing a lot already and he's an adult, then sorry, you've got a crepuscular/nocturnal animal and your diurnal nature is of little matter to him.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Ms Adequate posted:

Sometimes when kittens get too rowdy, mom cats will kind of bear hug them and prevent them from wriggling free until they calm down. I tried it once with my cat Pizza when he was a crazy kitten scrambling all over the place and keeping me up. I just sort of held him firmly - not so tight to hurt him, just to keep him close, until we both fell asleep. It took a long time for him to calm down and I wondered a lot if I was just wasting time and annoying us both, but it actually seemed to help. After that hug standoff he learned that jumping on my head while I'm sleeping means fun time is over and he's in a hug time out til he chills out. And it doesn't seem to have caused him to dislike me. He's always slept next to me or under the blankets with me ever since. He actually gets so excited for bed time now that he gets too excited to sleep and has to go blow off energy on toys/wrestling with Ozma - in another room.

It's worth noting that Pizza is the kind of cat who never scratches people, so this move might be riskier with a fiercer cat.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My cats like to sleep next to me. But they like sleeping on each other more

edit: I got a water fountain. One of them drank a little bit after staring at it for the better part of an hour. The other one is just sitting there staring.
Progress!

Sefal fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 28, 2018

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

So I'm preparing to hey a second cat to keep Hank busy and I'm planning on sequestering the new cat in the old litter room, while moving Hank's box into the spare bedroom and making sure there's some feliway around to chill them both out.

The door gap is pretty big so they could interact under it, and I'm planning to sequester Hank and let the new cat out for some roaming time during the transition.

I guess I'm really just looking for validation that this plan will work to minimize the risk of fighting.

Yeah, that's basically what we did. Take it slow, don't expect them to love each other quickly. Feed them on opposite sides of the door. Play under the door with string toys while they're both there. Expect some hissing and grumpiness, but don't worry unless there is actual claws and blood.

Note that our new cat being introduced was a kitten, which maybe changes things a bit. The existing older cat was grumpy and uncertain, but the kitten didn't care one bit.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So, in my new apartment, my room is FAIRLY small and cozy, which is actually just the way I like it. But given that I have a collection of about 1500 books (most of them rare editions, some are rare editions of manga or other forms of queer art/comics) I have to devote a lot of furniture space to lining the room with book-cases (books are my favorite decoration). The point I'm getting to is I have no room for any sort of desk in my room (I have a desk in the 'second living room'/'dining room'). So I bought a lapdesk to make using my laptop on my bed easier, and it does! I dislike lying in bed unless I'm going to sleep soon, however, so I generally sit cross legged on my bed when I use my laptop, now.

This has, unfortunately, made it VERY easy for Jackie to get between me and my laptop, which she does ALL THE TIME!

Photographic evidence from *right now as I type this*:

Basically, I try to sit close to the laptop but the ideal distance away - I am unusually lanky and have long arms and big hands so I don't need to get too close... As you can see, Jackie takes advantage of this - she comes up and plops herself down RIGHT between me and my laptop. If you see in the pic, she has engulfed my right foot and lower leg, and is purring loudly and happily as I lean forward on my elbows and type around her. I also can't get up without upsetting her and ruining her comfort.

Why are cats so goddamn good at enslaving us like this? Jackie is especially clever. In FIVE DAYS she had my two new roommates, who had never really known her before, to always leave out bowls of ice cream or cereal after finishing them so she could lick them. It's sort of remarkable how good they are at communicating with humans, this cat especially. My roommates are actually really shocked by how strong her personality is and how much she "talks", not so much via meows but with her unusually expressive face and her typically expressive tail.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 28, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kaworu posted:

So, in my new apartment, my room is FAIRLY small and cozy, which is actually just the way I like it. But given that I have a collection of about 1500 books (most of them rare editions, some are rare editions of manga or other forms of queer art/comics) I have to devote a lot of furniture space to lining the room with book-cases (books are my favorite decoration). The point I'm getting to is I have no room for any sort of desk in my room (I have a desk in the 'second living room'/'dining room'). So I bought a lapdesk to make using my laptop on my bed easier, and it does! I dislike lying in bed unless I'm going to sleep soon, however, so I generally sit cross legged on my bed when I use my laptop, now.

This has, unfortunately, made it VERY easy for Jackie to get between me and my laptop, which she does ALL THE TIME!

Basically, I try to sit close to the laptop but the ideal distance away - I am unusually lanky and have long arms and big hands so I don't need to get too close... As you can see, Jackie takes advantage of this - she comes up and plops herself down RIGHT between me and my laptop. If you see in the pic, she has engulfed my right foot and lower leg, and is purring loudly and happily as I lean forward on my elbows and type around her. I also can't get up without upsetting her and ruining her comfort.

Why are cats so goddamn good at enslaving us like this? Jackie is especially clever. In FIVE DAYS she had my two new roommates, who had never really known her before, to always leave out bowls of ice cream or cereal after finishing them so she could lick them. It's sort of remarkable how good they are at communicating with humans, this cat especially. My roommates are actually really shocked by how strong her personality is and how much she "talks", not so much via meows but with her unusually expressive face and her typically expresie (

Diagnosis: is a cat.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

kaworu posted:

Why are cats so goddamn good at enslaving us like this? Jackie is especially clever. In FIVE DAYS she had my two new roommates, who had never really known her before, to always leave out bowls of ice cream or cereal after finishing them so she could lick them. It's sort of remarkable how good they are at communicating with humans, this cat especially. My roommates are actually really shocked by how strong her personality is and how much she "talks", not so much via meows but with her unusually expressive face and her typically expresie (

Second opinion: is a good cat

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I uh, lost the end of that sentence, it was meant to be "her typically expressive tail" as a contrast to her face which really is extremely expressive. Most cats I've known had almost mask-like faces that were so impassive..

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Sefal posted:

edit: I got a water fountain. One of them drank a little bit after staring at it for the better part of an hour. The other one is just sitting there staring.
Progress!

my favorite thing about our fountain is Lucky treats it like cat tv. It cycles off and on, though, and when it turns off while hes watching, he almost always face first slams into it with one paw scrabbling at the front to try and find where the water bubble went.

https://i.imgur.com/Gj8EGVZ.gifv

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Freddie is four now, but thank you for the cuddling idea, we will give it a try! I have heard it before and forgot all about it. (He has never once deliberately scratched us so we should be good)

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I think it took Pizza over 30 minutes to calm down and stop trying to escape (I wanted to make it clear as possible I was letting him go when he was fully calm, and not that he was successfully getting away). I hope your cat chills quicker since he's a grown up, and that it does the trick! Good luck!

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
My dumb cat opened the hallway closet door and somehow locked himself inside at 1:30am. :bang:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

slave to my cravings posted:

My dumb cat opened the hallway closet door and somehow locked himself inside at 1:30am. :bang:

An genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pictured - My cat trying to drink water