Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

There's a dedicated FF7 thread?

Yeah where is this?

Anyway, I was totally shocked by Aerith dying back when I first played the game. She seemed to clearly be the heroine of the game and the one Cloud was going to end up with. Of course, back then, I was a Tifa fanboy so I didn't give a poo poo. But as I've gotten older I've come to prefer Aerith and I lament her dying a lot upon replaying the game.

Her healing is very handy in those difficulty mods I love so much. (play one today! New Threat is objectively great)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Schwartzcough posted:

Nah, Rosa was basically "Cecil's girlfriend" from a plot perspective. Aerith has plenty of her own plot threads that didn't revolve around Cloud.

Rosa has basically two lines where she helps Rydia cast Fire, I guess.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

drrockso20 posted:

As someone who never really played 7 beyond what the demo covers, how badly does that screw you from a gameplay perspective

it doesn't because you can just give all her materia to someone else. the only thing that defines a character in ff7 is what weapon they use and their limit breaks

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Gologle posted:

That's a bad example, because Terra isn't really a healer nor is she even an important character in the story past FC. She is a completely optional character in WoR, that's how done her story is at that point.

Exactly, both stop having agency in the plot line halfway through.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Nah, Artemis actions still have far reaching consequences, and its as a direct result of her doing the thing that enables the heroes to triumph in the end. The Espers plot that needs Terra's character goes away completely in the WoR, because Kefka is such a huge problem that neither the empire or the espers are even a concern anymore.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF7 thread is over in GBS. Not a bad read, especially Elentor's posts.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Elentor also LP'd the game (over the course of 4 years!) and that LP and thread both were very good.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Nah the LP is bad, but his opinions are good.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I still think Aerith is the right one to die in that game, because she's the one outside of Cloud that you'd most think wouldn't, for both story and gameplay reasons; she's clearly heavily important to the main plot and has ongoing subplots at the time, and she's also the only dedicated healer and non-joke mage. You don't kill her, you kill anybody else!

It was down to her and Barrett in development, and Aerith was clearly the right choice out of those two.

They should've gone with their other idea of killing everyone who isn't in your party off when you skydive out of the airship over Midgar imo.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Actually if you'll look at my geocities page you'll see that Cloud died at the end of Disk 1 and everything afterwards is a dream in his last moments

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Actually cloud and sephiroth kiss when aeiris dies, it's offscreen bc they were afraid of the moral majority

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Sephiroth was a good guy. Aerith's death was actually just acupuncture gone terribly wrong.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Actually Jenova killed Aeris and she did it because she has a crush on Cloud and wanted to get rid of a love rival.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Actually Jenova killed Aeris and she did it because she has a crush on Cloud and wanted to get rid of a love rival.

so you're saying, sephiroth was in love with cloud

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I thought it was obvious.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

To be fair, who isn't in love with Cloud?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm more into Seifer.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Mega64 posted:

Shinra

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Gologle posted:

Nah the LP is bad, but his opinions are good.

You almost got me with this one!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

njsykora posted:

I'm more into Seifer.

... yes?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I'm more of a doctor hojo kind of guy

Mega64
May 23, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

I'm more of a doctor hojo kind of guy

Reminds me of when Sephiroth's mom chose to bang Hojo over Vincent.

The correct choice imo

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The only good thing about the FF7 lp is it shows you how the Square button breaks the game, which is appropriate considering the company that made FF7.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also the update written as a strategy guide.

Also also everything.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Guys I just beat chapter 9. Cried like a little bitch.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Kingtheninja posted:

Guys I just beat chapter 9. Cried like a little bitch.

FFXV is a good game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Oh I thought he mistyped and meant to say game 9, as in, Final Fantasy 9. Now there's a tearjerker.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yes to both of you.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
If FFXV had ended at chapter 9 it would be one of my favorite games in the series.

Unfortunately, it doesn't end at chapter 9.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I thought XV ended extremely well, though

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Red Red Blue posted:

Apparently Square-Enix doesn't, because one of the DLCs added an alternate ending, and there have been whispers of them adding in an official 'good ending'.

Sorry, guys, endings can't be good if the main character dies anymore. Apologies to Final Fantasy X, you now retroactively have a bad story, and congratulations to XIII-3 who is now to be considered the gold standard.

This is also good news for the Persona series, which will now have a bit less argument as to which game is the best now that Persona 3 is out by defintion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Apparently Square-Enix doesn't, because one of the DLCs added an alternate ending, and there have been whispers of them adding in an official 'good ending'.

Sorry, guys, endings can't be good if the main character dies anymore. Apologies to Final Fantasy X, you now retroactively have a bad story, and congratulations to XIII-3 who is now to be considered the gold standard.

This is also good news for the Persona series, which will now have a bit less argument as to which game is the best now that Persona 3 is out by defintion.

I mean FFX eventually released a sequel where the main character came back to life at the end.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I mean FFX eventually released a sequel where the main character came back to life at the end.

And then they released another "sequel" where they killed him again.

I can't wait until he comes back in Final Fantasy 10-4, a dating sim starring Brother.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Mega64 posted:

And then they released another "sequel" where they killed him again.

wait what?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Red Red Blue posted:

I've said it before but the ending of FFXV is very good. Shame about the rest though. Noctis basically sums up the entire game in one sentence:

"You guys... are the best" (I think the literal translation in Japanese was "I love you guys")

Its the one theme FFXV was very consistent with and it stuck with me more than any other game in the series.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 28, 2018

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yeah I cry when I think of the time I spent with FFXV too.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

In 15 is the world of ruin supposed to be awful in hdr? It's like the sky color is over saturated. No other game looks as bad.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Do you not know the incredible story of FFX-2.5? Because boy, it's a good one. The highlight is absolutely Tidus kicking a blitzball and loving exploding and then Yuna catching his severed head. Also I think Sin comes back to life at some point.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

cock hero flux posted:

Do you not know the incredible story of FFX-2.5? Because boy, it's a good one. The highlight is absolutely Tidus kicking a blitzball and loving exploding and then Yuna catching his severed head. Also I think Sin comes back to life at some point.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X-2.5_~Eien_no_Daish%C5%8D~

Holy poo poo, I thought you were joking. So is it hilariously bad or just bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I love that long-as-hell plot synopsis followed only by

e: I don't suppose anyone has the link to the re-enactment The Dark Id made?

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 29, 2018