Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

fruit on the bottom posted:

What’s the difference between that and transphobia?

you get to explain it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

"-phobia" is ableist to people who get scared

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

New term that better reflect what's going on. People want to get away from describing bigotry as a phobia since it's not a fear response, just a hateful one. The miso- comes from misogyny, specifically trans-misogyny which got shortened into transmisia and adopted to broadly cover all anti-trans bias.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

there wolf posted:

New term that better reflect what's going on. People want to get away from describing bigotry as a phobia since it's not a fear response, just a hateful one. The miso- comes from misogyny, specifically trans-misogyny which got shortened into transmisia and adopted to broadly cover all anti-trans bias.

It doesn't come from "misogyny", that just happens to be another word that uses the miso- "hatred, aversion" affix.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Besesoth posted:

It doesn't come from "misogyny", that just happens to be another word that uses the miso- "hatred, aversion" affix.

It quite literally does since it's the elided form of trans-misogyny.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It’s ok I regret asking

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what a weird term. misogyny is quite literally about women, putting a prefix on 'misogyny' to describe a hatred of people who aren't always women doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

there wolf posted:

It quite literally does since it's the elided form of trans-misogyny.

Whoever told you this was wrong too. "Transmisia" is equivalent to "transphobia" but with μῖσος ("hatred") substituted for φόβος ("fear"). It's not a contraction or elision of anything.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

yay let's fight over queer terminology more

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
This is why the left never gets anything done.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is it because any time people are having a normal discussion a bunch of mouthbreathers have to shuffle in and whinge about it? i could see that being damaging to progress, yes.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Besesoth posted:

Whoever told you this was wrong too. "Transmisia" is equivalent to "transphobia" but with μῖσος ("hatred") substituted for φόβος ("fear"). It's not a contraction or elision of anything.

My own observations about the language shifts in my community are wrong because you have a Greek dictionary. Ok bro.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
So does this also mean homophobia is now homomisia?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

there wolf posted:

My own observations about the language shifts in my community are wrong because you have a Greek dictionary. Ok bro.

I guess that means my own observations about the language shifts in my community, combined with my Classical Studies degree, are wrong because you're bad at linguistics and think correlation means causation. :shrug:

To drag this screaming back onto topic, someone help this idiot with social media: what happened with Ariana Grande that #WeLoveYouAriana is trending on Twitter?

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 01:05 on Sep 28, 2018

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
she apparently tweeted about wanting 'just one okay day'.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
poo poo, I want one of those all the time, someone should make a hashtag for me.

https://twitter.com/congressedits/status/1045422483082551302

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Sep 28, 2018

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Besesoth posted:

I guess that means my own observations about the language shifts in my community, combined with my Classical Studies degree, are wrong because you're bad at linguistics and think correlation means causation. :shrug:

To drag this screaming back onto topic, someone help this idiot with social media: what happened with Ariana Grande that #WeLoveYouAriana is trending on Twitter?

Also trans, also have a classics degree. Still think you're wrong.

there wolf has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Sep 28, 2018

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i looked it up.

trans-misogyny is the intersection of transphobia and misogyny. transmisia is, apparently, a not widely used term (on the internet) used to replace 'transphobia' by people who think the usage of -phobias to describe various bigotries is damaging to people who suffer from more classical phobias.

at the very least, trans-misogyny is a distinct bias as compared to transmisia, so i don't think one would naturally evolve into the other.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

PhazonLink posted:

So does this also mean homophobia is now homomisia?

Yes , the idea is to be as descriptive as possible and not to give bigots and out by saying they were afraid. Remember the gay and trans panic defenses are still valid in much of the country.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I'm just going to keep saying "anti-gay" and "anti-trans" because everyone seems to understand that when I do :shrug:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

AlbieQuirky posted:

I'm just going to keep saying "anti-gay" and "anti-trans" because everyone seems to understand that when I do :shrug:

I find the word "rear end in a top hat" tends to work pretty well.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

Audience is important. Transmisia seems useful in circles where the precise definition is appreciated. Anti-[group] seems useful in dealing with folks who don't run in those circles and don't know what the gently caress yet.

Refining language to better describe a concept seems like the natural progression of language so I don't know what the fuss is about?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Warmachine posted:

Audience is important. Transmisia seems useful in circles where the precise definition is appreciated. Anti-[group] seems useful in dealing with folks who don't run in those circles and don't know what the gently caress yet.

Refining language to better describe a concept seems like the natural progression of language so I don't know what the fuss is about?

Jargon also has a tendency to alienate others and become a shibboleth for restrictive in-group out-group categorization. If you're not doing research, might want to stick to language other people might actually understand. Not many people are interested in taking the equivalent of a college class before you deign to speak to them.

I think it's hard enough labor to battle homophobia and transphobia without starting a simultaneous battle over finding new words for them because of some etymological pedantry.

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Sep 28, 2018

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Jargon also has a tendency to alienate others and become a shibboleth for restrictive in-group out-group categorization. If you're not doing research, might want to stick to language other people might actually understand. Not many people are interested in taking the equivalent of a college class before you deign to speak to them.

Bingo.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Several, but none that I’d like answered.

Ok just checking. I assumed when you quoted my post (thanks) and said “um.” but nothing else perhaps you had more to say than just “um” but felt it was somehow inappropriate to ask so I wanted to make sure you felt comfortable enough to continue a dialogue with me. Having read your answer, I see now you said everything you wanted to say when you replied with “um”. I’m sorry for the misunderstanding

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

oldpainless posted:

Ok just checking. I assumed when you quoted my post (thanks) and said “um.” but nothing else perhaps you had more to say than just “um” but felt it was somehow inappropriate to ask so I wanted to make sure you felt comfortable enough to continue a dialogue with me. Having read your answer, I see now you said everything you wanted to say when you replied with “um”. I’m sorry for the misunderstanding

More like oldumless!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Zesty posted:

"I was by no means mocking a rape victim"

Uh oh. Someone is getting a call from Disney.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Absurd Alhazred posted:

see: how folks use 'gaslighting' incorrectly constantly because it has become internal code among the particularly woke

i love my peeps but we tend to glom onto in-group words and :regd08:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my aunt still sucks

gently caress you, aunt, and gently caress that church. "Yell Jesus and deaths of unarmed black men don't matter!"

(I didn't screencap it all, he did put up the entire log of all the phone calls before the passengers rushed the hijackers)

gently caress you, aunt, and gently caress you, Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs, gently caress your whataboutism. "Yell about 9/11 loud enough and nothing else matters!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THere is a church near me who sometimes has billboards that are kind of funny if you intentionally misread their meaning, like "Jesus died for a reason... YOU!"

I like to read that as a direct accusation, and respond (not directly mind, just as a joke pointing out the wording to passers by if I happen to be going that way) with "Don't put that poo poo on me, I wasn't even born yet!" as a joke.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I'm getting tired of people giving Mike Rowe the time of day, tbh.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

my girlfriend 💁 stopped ❌😤 peeing 💦 on me after she found out there was tapes 📼 of trump 👺 getting prostitutes 😩👉👌 to pee 💦 on him... she stopped ❌ cuz doesnt 😤 want to indulge any kink 😩👌💦 he 👹 has. i didnt 🙅‍♂️ even vote 🗳️ for him and im being punished 👮😭 for it. im gonna do whatever 😤 it takes to get that bastart 👿 out of office 🏢 in 2020 📅 so my girlfriend 💏😍 will pee 💦 on me again, even if i have to run 🏃 for president 🤵 myself. my slogan will be "make my showers 🚿 golden 💦 again 😤" wish me luck 🍀🤞

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think it's hard enough labor to battle homophobia and transphobia without starting a simultaneous battle over finding new words for them because of some etymological pedantry.

"Hey, what does the '-misia' bit mean?" "Oh, that means 'hatred,' rather than 'fear.' It seems more accurate." "Ok neat." -the unbridled cannibalism of the far left

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why not just call it trans-hate and the people who indulge in it trans-haters? That's how people who speak good languages would deal with this sort of thing :smuggo:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why not just call it trans-hate and the people who indulge in it trans-haters? That's how people who speak good languages would deal with this sort of thing :smuggo:

lol at a Finn talking about good languages

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Araenna posted:

Yeah, I don't mean I live near a few family farms, milk is my state beverage.

(Extremely Skyrim Voice)A bunch of MILK DRINKERS!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:geno: "You're homophobic."
:bahgawd: "No I ain't! I ain't afraid of no gay people!!"
:geno: "Fine then, you hate gay people."
:bahgawd: "Yeah! That's better"

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Don’t put that on JR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

my girlfriend 💁 stopped ❌😤 peeing 💦 on me after she found out there was tapes 📼 of trump 👺 getting prostitutes 😩👉👌 to pee 💦 on him... she stopped ❌ cuz doesnt 😤 want to indulge any kink 😩👌💦 he 👹 has. i didnt 🙅‍♂️ even vote 🗳️ for him and im being punished 👮😭 for it. im gonna do whatever 😤 it takes to get that bastart 👿 out of office 🏢 in 2020 📅 so my girlfriend 💏😍 will pee 💦 on me again, even if i have to run 🏃 for president 🤵 myself. my slogan will be "make my showers 🚿 golden 💦 again 😤" wish me luck 🍀🤞

Good luck Mr Biden