Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I forgot how lucky I was unlocking The Forgotten. I got the host hat on the first floor or something on my 3rd run going for it. I miiiight not have reset all my saves if I'd have remembered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I can't find a concrete answer to this: do seeded runs not count running into enemies for the bestiary? I put one in for blue conjoined fatty - only one I haven't registered yet - ran into it in the chest, finished the run and checked the bestiary, but it didn't appear there. Do I just have to keep grinding The Chest until I run into it normally?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

I can't find a concrete answer to this: do seeded runs not count running into enemies for the bestiary? I put one in for blue conjoined fatty - only one I haven't registered yet - ran into it in the chest, finished the run and checked the bestiary, but it didn't appear there. Do I just have to keep grinding The Chest until I run into it normally?

Yep, just run a bunch of easy mode chests. The blue guys should only take one or two runs if you full clear the chests.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Yep, just run a bunch of easy mode chests. The blue guys should only take one or two runs if you full clear the chests.

Fair enough. I think all the posts I saw on the steam page for BoI were older anyway, so they must have patched that out at some point.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

do mods disable achievements, and if so, does this include visual mods such as the ones that change the colour of lasers?

I just got around to reinstalling for the first time in forever and there's a lot of new enemies and stuff.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

tithin posted:

do mods disable achievements, and if so, does this include visual mods such as the ones that change the colour of lasers?

I just got around to reinstalling for the first time in forever and there's a lot of new enemies and stuff.

They don't! They did at first but they thankfully patched that out. They disable daily runs, though, and a couple achievements are locked behind those.

Speaking of mods, for anyone willing to try more impactful ones I highly recommend the Coupon Keeper mod. It makes The Keeper feel nicer to control and automatically heal any damage he takes as long as he can pay 5˘. It also makes all items cost 15˘, with The Coupon replacing the Wooden Nickel so he can make the occasional item free. At first I assumed it'd make him trivially easy but I found myself running out of money and dying way more often than I expected. You need to pay to get any items at all, so you need to balance your greed with having enough money to heal any damage you might take. It turns what's bar none the most awful and tedious character into one with a really interesting and thematic playstyle.

I think the only problem with it right now is that it hasn't been updated with The Forgotten, so it needs to be disabled to play as Boneman.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 8, 2018

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Mods still disable achievements until after beating mom's heart at least once though.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Just fought the Hush for the first time. Shocking I won. Even more shockingly it was a Lilith run!

Edit: Next run I didn't even make it out the basement lol...

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 14, 2018

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Lilith's a pretty good character, honestly. A 4-charge active item that doubles your firepower for a room is already very good, and if you can get a couple more good familiars and/or BFFs and/or some way of using the box of friends more than once in a boss room then you're pretty much set.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

Lilith's a pretty good character, honestly. A 4-charge active item that doubles your firepower for a room is already very good, and if you can get a couple more good familiars and/or BFFs and/or some way of using the box of friends more than once in a boss room then you're pretty much set.

I can see how she can work. I haven't played this is probably over a year, and yeah I got a bunch of damage up items and then bought the car battery. So it was a cake-walk. I am just not used to relying on familiars.

Edit: And Lilith when I used to play was by far my least favorite. But w/e I was never really pro at this anyway.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 14, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lilith is the absolute best for Greed. It's just WAY too easy with her.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Pretty weird going back to another character after getting all the check-marks for Lilith. Leading your familiars/tears becomes second nature and it takes a bit to stop doing it.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Drunken Baker posted:

Pretty weird going back to another character after getting all the check-marks for Lilith. Leading your familiars/tears becomes second nature and it takes a bit to stop doing it.

That happens to me with any character significantly different than the norm: The Lost, Azazel, Lilith, etc.

So many dumb mistakes thinking I can just waltz through walls/pits as Keeper. :smith:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Inzombiac posted:

Lilith is the absolute best for Greed. It's just WAY too easy with her.

My first Ultra Greed win was due almost entirely to Lilith and getting the Car Battery and Habit. Lilith rules.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Just beat the lamb and discovered victory laps. This is insane.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Breadallelogram posted:

Just beat the lamb and discovered victory laps. This is insane.

What's the logic behind what items you can and cannot keep?

I had an insane run with Soy Milk (20/20 God and Booger combo) but when I went on lap 2 they went back to standard lovely tears.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Inzombiac posted:

What's the logic behind what items you can and cannot keep?

I had an insane run with Soy Milk (20/20 God and Booger combo) but when I went on lap 2 they went back to standard lovely tears.

I think its just random which items you lose, but I stand ready to be corrected!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SiKboy posted:

I think its just random which items you lose, but I stand ready to be corrected!
It's completely random as far as I know.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Been trying for the last several nights to get a full bandage girl. What is the best strategy for that? I never seem to get a bandage ball with Lilith and with Isaac I double popped monster manual at least 25 times in a room in the womb and only got the third stage of bandage girl. That's the closest I've gotten.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

alpha_destroy posted:

Been trying for the last several nights to get a full bandage girl. What is the best strategy for that? I never seem to get a bandage ball with Lilith and with Isaac I double popped monster manual at least 25 times in a room in the womb and only got the third stage of bandage girl. That's the closest I've gotten.

First floor Book of Revelations and spam it all the way through Womb I. Hope it spawns bandages instead of meat and hope it spawns Death instead of Conquest.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
Edit for me just noticing you're already using Lilith.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

alpha_destroy posted:

This might have been patched out but I got it when I had a level 3 bandage girl and then used Lillith's familiar item.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Also as far as I know for 1000000% percent you only need lv 4 meat boy or bandage girl not both.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

LionYeti posted:

Also as far as I know for 1000000% percent you only need lv 4 meat boy or bandage girl not both.

They're both separate achievements unfortunately. at least bandage girl unlocks the super bandage

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I got the potato peeler in Greed mode as Lilith and got a level 4 Meat Boy and a second, level 3 Meat Boy. Then I popped the box and my second Meat Boy just vanished. Must have been some fuckery with the numbers or something, hahah.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Dude, ludovico loving rules when the Forgotten has it. Just batting around a tear

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

A lot of items become weirdly fun with strange synergies on the forgotten. Chocolate milk giving you a mega bone bat is among my favorite so far.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

It's amazing just how extremely fun the forgotten is, if you put aside how horribly overpowered it is. It's like all the effort that wasn't there for the release of AB+ was put into that one single character.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

alpha_destroy posted:

You're on the right track. I got it with Monster Manuel(sic) after flooding a room full of batteries, but it works fine with Lilith and Box of Friends too. If you get the Bandage Ball early on and don't have the means to break the game, you can always go to Boss Rush with it and you'll get more than enough charges to get your full-fledged Bandage Girl.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

good news i beat ultrahard

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Good for you. Ultrahard and Speed are the only two I haven't done. Unfun as gently caress.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ty. I got the d100 on the first floor. curious how the reroll items always seem to up your offense. but especially useful on ultrahard where you're not going to get any healing except changing all your health items

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm super glad that the rewards for those challenges are actually kind of bad so I don't have to care about them.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Get Out of Jail Free is good for completing Mega Satan runs. Or at least it would be if it ever showed up since I completed that challenge :argh:

Overall I think Speed is fine, it's really difficult but it's hard in a way that's 1) fast and 2) genuinely mechanically challenging. Ultra Hard sucks though because most of the curses just waste your time/mess with the interface, the champion enemies drag every room out and you generally have to scum some regeneration mechanic to make up for the lack of hearts (I walked away from my computer to let Placenta full heal me multiple times).

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Brains and Speed were the only two I didn't get on the Xbox. AND the achievement was bugged so it never popped that I'd done however much percent of the challenges. Not even going to bother attempting them again on the PC.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

If you don’t blindly take every deal with the devil in the ultra-hard challenge, you’re a big weenie

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'm proud of myself. It took a few nights worth of sessions, but I finally beat greedier mode with the lost.

I thought it wasn't gonna happen until I got a good run going with pyromaniac or host hat because gently caress all those explosions phase 2 greed does, but it turns out utterly breaking the game with chaos and near infinite coins was good enough.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Man, I've been playing Binding of Isaac on and off since it was a flash game. Despite accruing ~120 hours on Rebirth, I don't think I'd say that it ever really "grabbed" me until very recently. Something just sort of clicked, and I've put like 50-60 hours in it over the last couple of weeks, unlocking characters and going for achievements and checking out some of the challenges. In light of that, I'm pretty stoked to see that the lauded Antibirth mod is going to be officially integrated--although it seems like the general consensus is that we probably won't be seeing its release any time soon.

But let me just say: This "Guardian" challenge? I love the idea, but it seems like I often get larger (1x2 or 2x2) rooms with the "Host" enemies, resulting in my punching-bag companion wandering around aimlessly, the Hosts resting in an invulnerable state, and me praying for my companion to waddle close enough to one so that it pops up and I can kill it. Is there any reliable way to get through these rooms, short of bombing my way past of them?

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

If that's your biggest complaint about the Guardian so far, you're in for a fun time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Haha, does The Guardian have a pretty nasty reputation? I just recently beat it and didn't have a whole lot of trouble overall (although I've found that if I get the "Conquest" boss, it's basically a guaranteed wipe on that particular challenge). I think I can see where you might get repeatedly screwed by it.