Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Yep, if the Liberals manage to isolate us from our largest trading partner and other markets, we can all finally agree they're the best conservatives.

You don't believe that there's some sort of isolationist ideology behind the current situation, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Kraftwerk posted:

All this tells me is there’s still enough people doing well enough in the status quo that they benefit from the system remaining what it is.

Let me suggest an alternative: this tells us that the people who benefit from the status quo are better organized, and thus better represented, than the people who lose. The better organized / represented people tend to be those who have the most resources such as money, social capital, control of civil society organizations, media access, power over employees, etc. The worse organized / represented people tend to be those who are more economically precarious and have less access to the media or civil society.

This situation has broken the normal feedback loop that theoretically was supposed to push liberal democracy into performing a course correction. We're not part of a different "system" than America, we're just living in a comfortable suburb of the empire.

quote:

America meanwhile has fired their middle class.

Our immigration system did not import unskilled labourers. We got a lot of doctors, engineers and educated people who were privileged back in their home countries. Speaking as an immigrant this was true for me as well. Now they have the resources to give their kids a free ride through university and assist them financially in various ways so only a subsection of the milenneials is really enduring the naked truth that without generational wealth a lot of them would be hosed.

So a lot of people still have the resources and know how to bootstrap themselves and buy into the koolaid since they are totally unaware of the privileges they have.

We bring in lots of skilled labour, yes, but I'm not sure how you can look at policies like this:

quote:

This past year, Canada issued over 286,000 work permits to temporary workers. To help attract and retain global talent, the Government also launched the Global Skills Strategy in 2016. A key aspect of this effort will get highly-skilled temporary workers here faster, helping businesses to attract the talent they need to succeed in an increasingly competitive global market.

To better meet regional economic needs through immigration, this past year Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada launched the employer-focused Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program. As well, to enhance our country’s competitiveness globally, the Start-up Visa Program is now a permanent feature of our economic immigration program.

And not see that they are consciously designed to help businesses reduce labour costs.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I can't wait and see what sort of unique donation Steven "I want to gently caress my 3rd grade math teacher" Fletcher has for this foundation that is trying to build an addictions center he opposes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Helsing posted:

Let me suggest an alternative: this tells us that the people who benefit from the status quo are better organized, and thus better represented, than the people who lose. The better organized / represented people tend to be those who have the most resources such as money, social capital, control of civil society organizations, media access, power over employees, etc. The worse organized / represented people tend to be those who are more economically precarious and have less access to the media or civil society.

It's this a million times. In Victoria for example we are 60% renters, but the desires of the home-owning class hold almost all the local political power. Why? They're organized and they vote. We could easily have a renter's coup in this city, jack property taxes way up, implement sweeping protections for renters and rental buildings, go full vienna. But we don't, because we're not organized, and so many people buy into their landlord's fear mongering that if X tenant protection or Y tax is passed they'll just have to take their apartment building to another more business friendly city.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It’s also a similar problem you get when it comes to union organization - nobody tends to want to go first, because they’re afraid of the retribution they might face if nobody else backs them up. Since these are people in generally financially precarious positions, they can’t afford to take that risk and end up staying silent. Then everybody looks around, sees nobody else standing up, and feels justified in their fear that nobody would support them if they spoke out.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/EmmaLGraney/status/1045429215104045064

This seems like a dumb play for Kenney

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Yeah, well, he is really loving dumb, so it's not exactly surprising.

EDIT: Cash bar, jfc, what a useless low-rent loving rear end in a top hat this corpulent oaf is.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

EDIT: Cash bar, jfc, what a useless low-rent loving rear end in a top hat this corpulent oaf is.

Trust me, you do not want to see a bunch of Conservative politicos at an open bar.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

Trust me, you do not want to see a bunch of Conservative politicos at an open bar.

Oh but I do. It would be hilarious.

Ralph Klein's drinking problem was the gift that kept on giving.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
From what I've heard Kellie Leitch's leadership launch was pure debauchery

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

PT6A posted:

Oh but I do. It would be hilarious.

Ralph Klein's drinking problem was the gift that kept on giving.

my mom worked at the nursing home that ralph klein died at and jesus christ he did not end his life on a high note, he got shoved into a normal hospice and his family barely visited him

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Once, while Klein was premier, he got staggeringly drunk and then made his limo driver taken him to a homeless shelter at 1AM. He stumbled into the shelter and started screaming and swearing at the people there, telling them to get a job and how worthless they were and then throwing money onto the ground before storming off.

So yeah, not exactly shocked to hear his family wanted nothing to do with him once he was too old and feeble to be useful to them.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

InfiniteZero posted:

You don't believe that there's some sort of isolationist ideology behind the current situation, right?

We'll only accept a great deal for Canada. No deal is better than a bad deal. We will no longer surrender this country or its people to the false song of globalism.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Hahahahahahaha no we gon' get screwed when the Liberals at the 11th hour go all 'welp we sold you all out sorry the spice must flow'

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Doug Ford runs for Prime Minister and mysteriously changes his name to Vladimir Harkonnen

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Helsing posted:

Once, while Klein was premier, he got staggeringly drunk and then made his limo driver taken him to a homeless shelter at 1AM. He stumbled into the shelter and started screaming and swearing at the people there, telling them to get a job and how worthless they were and then throwing money onto the ground before storming off.

So yeah, not exactly shocked to hear his family wanted nothing to do with him once he was too old and feeble to be useful to them.

I think I've mentioned it before, but his brother wanders into my work from time to time to just chat and he's very nice.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

Doug Ford runs for Prime Minister and mysteriously changes his name to Vladimir Harkonnen

So who is Feyd in this sadly accurate future analogy?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

Oh god please let that be a true story

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

zapplez posted:

Oh god please let that be a true story

Sure is. I remember the articles when it happened.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

From a quick google search, here's the one from the guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/dec/28/worlddispatch.annemcilroy

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think he means the dying alone in a hospice.

The homeless shelter incident is a matter of record.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Not really important, but still nice to see everyone come together to condemn this shithead.

https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1045471915060670464

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Can we change the thread title to this picture somehow?

https://twitter.com/Pepperfire/status/1045484153662296065

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Furnaceface posted:

So who is Feyd in this sadly accurate future analogy?

Hmm... Justin Trudeau.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

nvm the 25 ward council is good now

quote:

In Scarborough-Agincourt, Jim Karygiannis has a 3.3% lead over Norm Kelly among decided and leaning voters. Karygiannis has 47.3% while Kelly comes in with 44%.

https://www.mainstreetresearch.ca/mammoliti-behind-in-the-early-stages-of-municipal-campaign/

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Mammo is losing too.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Azerban posted:

Mammo is losing too.

quote:

Mammoliti is tied with former public school trustee Tiffany Ford with 21.1% support

Though I'd much rather replace Mammoliti with Ford than Peruzza.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

BattleMaster posted:

Douggie's not cunning enough to be the Baron, he is Beast Rabban all the way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Unreported meetings with unregistered lobbyists, to commodify local drinking water supply for foreign business. More government for the people.

Bonus: Jobs created were to be staffed by TFWs in company dorms.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo that's beyond the pale.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The best part is that the only reason anyone even found out about it is because Doug Ford is such a loving dumbass he mentioned his illegal meeting while trying to drop a sick burn on another MPP.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Who wants to bet Ford's kill count tops Harris?

I was just going to say that maybe this would be enough to sink his administration early but nope ol Doug is going to let Ontarians drink in public, something that in itself I think is a good idea seeing as public drinking laws as written were just another salvo in the class and race cold war, but gently caress, it's just going to make that goober more popular.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

I was just going to say that maybe this would be enough to sink his administration early but nope ol Doug is going to let Ontarians drink in public, something that in itself I think is a good idea seeing as public drinking laws as written were just another salvo in the class and race cold war, but gently caress, it's just going to make that goober more popular.

I guess the real question is: why does the Left always leave these low-hanging fruits to be picked by idiot populists? Stop giving the right these issues that obviously appeal to low-information, mostly apolitical voters.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Ontario need to stop Doug ford because he is a political black hole that will destroy any hope of a just system for Canadians. He is gently caress you got mine incarnated.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Because that would be appealing to the untermensch which is a cardinal sin amongst leftists.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

PT6A posted:

I guess the real question is: why does the Left always leave these low-hanging fruits to be picked by idiot populists? Stop giving the right these issues that obviously appeal to low-information, mostly apolitical voters.

Sorry for the double post but the issue is the political left usually try to play by the rule and ethic (even if they are corrupt themselves to a point) and try to avoid being even mildly aggressive. If you do peaceful manifestation you are seen as weak or ineffectual, if you are doing anything remotely aggressive(blocking street, disturbing events) you are out of control. The right love to see themselves as rational agents. They will throw to the wolf anybody that is making wave or is emotional and then pat them on the back later for it when they think no ones are looking.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I must have missed 'the Left' being in power in Ontario recently

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

JawKnee posted:

It was 30 years ago but the way the Liberals and PCs drag up Bob Rae every election you would think the guy never left the office.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

JawKnee posted:

Something has always befuddled me, I know it comes from the PCs moving further right, but I don't think the Liberals ever really left the centre position. Depending on the specific sub-party it could have like the slightest lean left or right, but I think overall they're really just full Centre for the most part with policies falling on either side of the margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Syfe posted:

Something has always befuddled me, I know it comes from the PCs moving further right, but I don't think the Liberals ever really left the centre position. Depending on the specific sub-party it could have like the slightest lean left or right, but I think overall they're really just full Centre for the most part with policies falling on either side of the margin.

That's only because "sacrificing the poors to the invisible hand of the free market" is were the line between left and right is drawn these days.