Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

coconono posted:

Is this the thing that PS4 version already has?

This is basically PC users getting all the New Japan-releated content that comes packaged with the PS4 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Takuan posted:

This is basically PC users getting all the New Japan-releated content that comes packaged with the PS4 version.

ok I was wondering if there was gonna be another content update for the PS4 version.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

There's still the Fire Promoter and NJPW Jr Heavyweight DLC to be released for both PS4 and PC, but there's been no word on when.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also they are NOT doing the Season Pass anymore... which given the recent gloom and doom is kind of worrying, since that means they may not end up doing some of the planned content for it.

I haven't really kept up-- what's the doom and gloom stuff? Did the game just not sell well? I haven't played it much but I bought it on Steam just to support them. I'm a little less apt to pull the trigger on the PS4 version at $40 though.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If this is all we got out of Fire Pro World, it's still an amazing product that was worth every penny. I never even expected to get something like the NJPW DLC.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

RichterIX posted:

I haven't really kept up-- what's the doom and gloom stuff? Did the game just not sell well? I haven't played it much but I bought it on Steam just to support them. I'm a little less apt to pull the trigger on the PS4 version at $40 though.

It's never been a big seller, there's been a relative dearth of publicity (gaming sites just mostly ignored it, both on the PC and PS4) and the delays were substantial- I think the feeling is mostly that for Spike, in general, the priorities are the VNs and that FMV game they've got going, this was always a small side project.

Certainly the lack of communication about the delay for the PC version of the NJPW content was a big problem and got them some grief, but that may abate now that it's finally updated.

I don't know if the game's an outright flop or anything, but it's a niche of a niche, going after people who want a wrestling game, are willing to settle for 2.5-D graphics, are willing to work a little to learn it (again they're not great at accessibility), and I think that narrows it down to people who are actively dissatisfied with the WWE 2k offerings (and even among that group, there are some who just want things to be more like No Mercy which I understand is a different approach.)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I like Firpro a lot, but as Max alluded to, there is a big gap in modern wrestling games that was last filled in America by AKI's output. I have never since played a wrestling game that I could both enjoy on the level of it's complexity, and also be able to hand the controller over to people who have never played and have them not only get it quickly, but enjoy it too. AKI games where the last wrestling games to find a good balance between playability and simulation.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I had a bunch of mods installed and all I had to do was fix the movesets of edits who now had moves that aren't loaded into the game

Otherwise everything seems fine with my save

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
One thing that looking at videos about wrestling games and talking about FPW has gotten me interested in is knowing more about the AKI games and how they played. N64 emulation is... bad, especially for third party games that aren't ever going to be rereleased. I know about project 64 but it apparently only works for emulators that are on Windows. Short of playing them myself though I'd like to find out more about how they worked mechanically, how they handled a lot of the same things that FP and 2k have to reckon with (pacing, having defensive options in a "sport" where you almost never see them, reversals, etc.) I wonder if anyone's done any good analysis of how these games evolved once the 3D era hit.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

AKI games struck a very strong balance between simulation and arcade.

The way it worked (at least in No Mercy, the pinnacle) was that you had a momentum bar that ranged from deep navy to red. If you dealt damage or taunted, your bar got warmer. If you took damage, your bar got cooler.

When you hit red, you could activate your finisher mode, which lasted something like 15-20 seconds and allowed you to hit as many finishers as you could, meaning you could for example hit the Rock Bottom and follow up with a People’s Elbow, or an angle slam followed by an ankle lock, or potentially clear the ring in a multi-man.

The trick was, when your finisher mode ended, you went back to middling momentum. And since momentum could go both ways, you had a far more dramatic back-and-forth during matches. An opponent with high momentum could more easily counter you, so you had to pick them apart with lower-power grapple moves like suplexes that were harder to counter but did less damage. If you were really desperate there were basic moves like snapmares that actually increased momentum for both parties. Submissions required you to soften up body parts, but this could only be done with repeated submissions. In terms of pacing, it was similar to recent 2K games, but the mechanics were superior.

Anyway, on top of that you had things like weight limits (most moves on a super heavyweight were turned into big Hulkamania scoop slams) and a variety of “fighting styles” that determined certain mechanics. A speed guy would flip over a suplex, a power guy would reverse it. A shooter would reverse a kick into a (very nasty looking) reverse Achilles lock. And since this was all before mocap was feasible, all the animation was handmade, and everything had superb weight and feel. The way the ring shook from a powerbomb was just so satisfying.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 27, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Oh you meant AKI FP games. Well, they’re not as good as No Mercy

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

AKI games struck a very strong balance between simulation and arcade.

The way it worked (at least in No Mercy, the pinnacle) was that you had a momentum bar that ranged from deep navy to red. If you dealt damage or taunted, your bar got warmer. If you took damage, your bar got cooler.

When you hit red, you could activate your finisher mode, which lasted something like 15-20 seconds and allowed you to hit as many finishers as you could, meaning you could for example hit the Rock Bottom and follow up with a People’s Elbow, or an angle slam followed by an ankle lock, or potentially clear the ring in a multi-man.

The trick was, when your finisher mode ended, you went back to middling momentum. And since momentum could go both ways, you had a far more dramatic back-and-forth during matches. An opponent with high momentum could more easily counter you, so you had to pick them apart with lower-power grapple moves like suplexes that were harder to counter but did less damage. If you were really desperate there were basic moves like snapmares that actually increased momentum for both parties. Submissions required you to soften up body parts, but this could only be done with repeated submissions. In terms of pacing, it was similar to recent 2K games, but the mechanics were superior.

Anyway, on top of that you had things like weight limits (most moves on a super heavyweight were turned into big Hulkamania scoop slams) and a variety of “fighting styles” that determined certain mechanics. A speed guy would flip over a suplex, a power guy would reverse it. A shooter would reverse a kick into a (very nasty looking) reverse Achilles lock. And since this was all before mocap was feasible, all the animation was handmade, and everything had superb weight and feel. The way the ring shook from a powerbomb was just so satisfying.

This sounds vaguely similar to Day of Reckoning, though Yukes made that. May have to find a way to try this.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

This sounds vaguely similar to Day of Reckoning, though Yukes made that. May have to find a way to try this.

Day of Reckoning and DoR2 definitely took ideas from NM and built on them. I'm still sad that series didn't continue because it was really god drat fun.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Def Jam Vendetta was actually the best AKI game, but No Mercy was good if you want wrestlers for some reason.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Def Jam Vendetta was actually the best AKI game, but No Mercy was good if you want wrestlers for some reason.

Def Jam 1 and 2 are amazing, but lack the in depth character creation that the WWE games had. If I remember correctly, you had to pick in game guy's movesets.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I still think we'll get Promoter Mode. And even if we don't, it's incredible enough that they even made a new great game and got official New Japan DLC for it. It's hard for me to not be very satisfied overall with this

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Tonight @8:05 EST!
-Our records have shown that both Ms Fortune and Markiplier haven't won a single match in their GAME Pro Wrestling careers. Tonight we're having them face each other so at least one of them can have a win!
-It's been a while since we've seen Rydia, but she's been putting the time off to good use, mastering a new finisher: Meteo. She'll get her chance to show it off against EDF Soldier!
-Goro Majima, Sub-Zero, GATO, and Poison will face off in a 4-Corners Scramble!
-We also hav Tracer, Peach, and Juliet Starling taking on Solid Snake, Johnny Cage, and Faith Conners in 6-Man Tag action!
-Cuphead makes his return against Starman!
-The Master Robots face Megaman & Frank West
-Ickybod Clay will defend the Cross-Platform Championship against Cody. Will he be the first Cross-Platform Champion to make a successful defense?
-The Super Mario Bros defend the Co-Op Championships against The Mystical Ninjas!
-In the main event: When THE DOOMSLAYER faced NEMESIS in the Pan-Console Grand Prix, THE DOOMSLAYER was disqualified in under a minute for using a weapon. Now there are unrestrained by any measly 'rules' and will meet each other in a Phobos Deathmatch!
https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling
Tune in while you can, 'cuz if I can't figure out how to get a backup game going, this might be the last show for a while, possibly ever!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, seeing as Majima is in your e-fed, I think it's worth posting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lycnnem2kFI

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Well apparently Carlzilla is not going to be updating the mod suite for the new version. That really sucks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, apparently some of the stuff they changed to make the PS4 version easier to develop killed a lot of the hooks and stuff mods were using. Thats quite a shame.

Well, Spike never officially supported mods, so this always had a chance to happen. Honestly the only mod bits I'm going to miss are:

Submissions on Signature/finisher holds only
Signature moves can critical too
My slightly modified arena appearance
The camera mod
reducing/eliminating the lockup animation in AI sim matches.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 28, 2018

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, apparently some of the stuff they changed to make the PS4 version easier to develop killed a lot of the hooks and stuff mods were using. Thats quite a shame.

Well, Spike never officially supported mods, so this always had a chance to happen.

Yeah, honestly the only things I'm sad about losing from the mod suite becoming incompatible is being able to assign music to workshop wrestlers easily, the easier way of transferring wrestlers between promotions/stables, and the camera mod (which to be fair can often be a bit janky anyway)

That said, this does also gently caress up newLegacy's Brawl 4 All format

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i'm gonna miss real royal rumbles and team names

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I've pretty much weaned off the mod suite a while ago, so I'm not going to miss much except for the custom title match "FIGHT" screen and blood staying on the canvas.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That blows. I liked proper Royal Rumbles, being able to preset match outcomes, being able to change music for downloaded wrestlers, etc.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

And Carzilla got banned from Critical Club for promoting piracy for the purposes of modding.

Carzilla posted:

I don't blame the admins for their actions, but if the little dicknose kid who made the report where to slip and fall in a pit of HIV+ needles, I'd give thanks.

:munch:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
What the actual gently caress.

EDIT: I knew he was an irritable person from the mod thread, but I figured it was just from getting asked the same questions over and over. I guess he's just an rear end in a top hat.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 28, 2018

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
How old is this guy again?

Few glitches on the PC version so far, though I can't tell if that's the remnants of the mod suite- nothing too dramatic though. It crashed once while I was fixing everyone's music (they all got reset), then later during a match it just semi-froze- the crowd animation was still going but the wrestlers and ref were frozen in place and I had to quit out of it. There may be a few last minute tweaks given how big a change this was.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Did you remember to use the PWGR Patcher to unpatch the mod stuff out of the game?

Also try verifying the steam files too, just in case.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wrestling game mods scene has always been full of weird toxic personalities. the no mercy mod scene was the most unbearable.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And the PS4 version has its own shithead experience with the "Logic Club" drama!

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Zilla's been around the Fire Pro community for over a decade and that's just the way he's always been. It's why I never associated with him or his mods.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I updated the game and got the NJPW DLC and put my two best/favorite edits together. They proved they can still put on one hell of a match even without the drat mod suite, one of the best I've seen them do, with some great spots that made me wish I was recording it.

80% rating. I'll never understand this game's rating system sometimes. :allears:

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Carlzilla, and others, are still going to make mods for the pre-DLC version of Fire Pro. The logic behind his advocating piracy is that only dedicated fans who have already bought the game will want to play an older version for mods, and anyone pirating the game for the sake of piracy will want the shiny, new, NJPW version, which he is not supporting or advocating, which... is slightly flawed logic.

edit: Fire-Pro Community Drama Update: The mod what banned Carlzilla has apologized for misunderstanding the advocacy of Piracy that led to the ban, but the ban still stands, but it doesn't matter since Carlzilla was leaving the forum and holing up in his Discord and the forum for his 1980's territories multiplayer game anyways.

Takuan fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 28, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I’m confused. Mods for FPW:W are all dead now with the new DLC? And nobody’s gonna update them?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I am optimistic as regards to mods because there was never going to be a final modded state of the game until it was fully patched and dlc'd anyway. Someone will get around to it, the game isn't going anywhere, there aren't going to be sequels, once it is finished, it is finished and poo poo, people manage to do interesting things with the 2k PC games, Fire Pro can't be that much harder to mess with than those.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

I've never played Fire Pro before today. Tried it on the PS4. I can't remember the last game I played that was so determined to give you absolutely gently caress all idea of what's going on. Like, I have literally no concept of what I'm doing or how to play this piece of poo poo. The only manual I can find online doesn't have PS4 controls, and assumes you already know how to grapple. Well I don't okay.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Genericide posted:

I've never played Fire Pro before today. Tried it on the PS4. I can't remember the last game I played that was so determined to give you absolutely gently caress all idea of what's going on. Like, I have literally no concept of what I'm doing or how to play this piece of poo poo. The only manual I can find online doesn't have PS4 controls, and assumes you already know how to grapple. Well I don't okay.

There should be a tutorial system. There was in the pc version when I played.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, go to Offline Play then Mission Mode.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Yeah one might assume "Mission Mode" is something to tackle once you get pretty good at the game. But it's actually the very first thing a new player should do. The UI and translation in general has always been the biggest stumbling block to fledgling Fire Pro players, I'd imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, go to Offline Play then Mission Mode.

Thank you, love you. "Mission Mode", all seems so obvious now.