Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Enough for the dude to bank two Gs a month from patreon, at any rate. Stuff like that and the dwarf fortress guys really make me regret not finding some nerd niche to exploit. Not that the webcomic guy even remotely compares to the DF guys -- holy poo poo do the DF guys clean up for what they do.

$72k/yr split two ways isn't exactly endless riches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

sebmojo posted:

$72k/yr split two ways isn't exactly endless riches.

Of course not, but it's three times better than the 24 Gs the webcomic dude is putting back, minus patreon fees. Point was not to compare a washed-out webcomic artist that puts out content once an ice age to dorf fortass, a thing that is cool and good.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I still read sluggy freelance out of habit. I started reading it in 01 or 02 and joined the forums and met a ton of cool people and even the author once, hell it's even cause of that strip that I picked up heroclix and won 2 world titles at it so I'll stick with it no matter how much of a mess it becomes since it was a big part of my life for awhile.

I still have 15 webcomics I check each day, honestly I'm probably going to prune to 10 since Cucumber Quest appears to have given up and I've lost the plot on a couple others.

If we want to talk about awesome webcomics still worth reading please go look at Kill Six Billion Demons just for the amazing art alone.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I was pointedat sluggy Freelance back around '97 or so, when someone on a newsgroup sold me on the original vampire storyline. Fell off it sometime during the 00's. Nothing that I read during my initial webcomic phase is still on my list of comics I follow, even though some of them are still going (I'm kind of astonished that GPF is still running, hadn't thought about that one in years)

The only comics I still read from the time around when I found OOTS (which I think possibly during the initial Dungeon of Dorkuan adventure) would be Gunnerkrigg Court and The Perry Bible Fellowship.

I used to have daily bookmark folders I would kick open in the morning. Started using RSS and Google Reader in '09 because of a certain comic with a ridiculous update rate, then Feedly, then Comic Rocket, and now Tiny Tiny RSS.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I really dug Sluggy back in the day. I keep alternating between wanting to catch up and feeling I should let sleeping dogs lie.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
https://xkcd.com/142/

I still like the *idea* of MT (though I haven't caught up in a few years but my understanding is his update schedule has improved) and find most criticisms to be overblown from an era when being a gamer and being an anime fan were mostly disjoint sets and generally lacked rational basis.

I think the biggest thing to like about Megatokyo is (from my recollection, I can't speak to recent strips from the last few years) the extent Fred's architect background results in art that is generally always maintains a sense of scale and detail when famous mangaka's at a point just seem to forgo backgrounds entirely.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Okay but Megatokyo is also another comic where a leading character is a literal object that increases boob size to please men.

I haven't read it since like 2006 so maybe Fred did an apology tour akin to Rich's, but lmfao is that webcomic a fuckin mess.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Any other Sam and Fuzzy fans in here? It's a fairly popular comic but I don't see it come up in any of the webcomic discussions I've run across.

maltesh posted:

I used to have daily bookmark folders I would kick open in the morning. Started using RSS and Google Reader in '09 because of a certain comic with a ridiculous update rate, then Feedly, then Comic Rocket, and now Tiny Tiny RSS.

I don't really understand why people are still manually checking websites when RSS readers exist. I don't even know how many comics I follow these days because I just go to one site and it tells me when any of them update.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Malpais Legate posted:

Okay but Megatokyo is also another comic where a leading character is a literal object that increases boob size to please men.

I haven't read it since like 2006 so maybe Fred did an apology tour akin to Rich's, but lmfao is that webcomic a fuckin mess.

I haven't looked at MT in a decade. Wasn't it building up to the argument that the entity in question should still be treated as a person? Did that go absolutely nowhere?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I've always relied on Firefox's live bookmarks for checking webcomics and I'll be forever infuriated Google decided RSS isn't worth it.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Okay but what does "still going" mean for a comic like megatokyo? Like how many actual pages have come out in the last five years? Ten?
Since I'm a creature of habit and it's not like it takes effort to check when there's a new page, I'm still reading it. It's about one a week, IIRC.

In terms of storyline, it's actually resolving things, which is amazing, it's just so dense it takes literal months to complete one hour of comic time. Maybe by next year Miho will be finally done. It's already, like, 70% there? I'm not really willing to knock it on the pacing because Paranatural just finished Max's third day of school after over a year (IIRC) and other plot-centric webcomics aren't much better either. Or many weekly manga, for that matter. It's just how serialization happens.

Malpais Legate posted:

She's got an arc about figuring herself out and it frames treating her as a thing as a not cool thing so there's that?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Slashrat posted:

I haven't looked at MT in a decade. Wasn't it building up to the argument that the entity in question should still be treated as a person? Did that go absolutely nowhere?

Source of shame, I've been reading it whenever it updates.

Sometime this year self insert guy actually got with the girl he wanted.

The sex toy girl is now very confused because she doesn't understand how to make self insert guy have sex with her.

Then there's some poo poo with some furries that have shown up but I couldn't tell you what their relevance is.

I just open it up every now and then out of habit I guess.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Quick reminder, you're not obligated to read something. If you feel ashamed then quit and if you don't you don't need to pretend you do.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kyte posted:

Quick reminder, you're not obligated to read something.

At this point, I think the only reason I continue to keep checking Megatokyo is a combination of inertia and sunk cost fallacy. I'm just so goddamn sick of Miho and her stupid drama sucking all the energy out of the story.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kyte posted:

I've always relied on Firefox's live bookmarks for checking webcomics and I'll be forever infuriated Google decided RSS isn't worth it.

The Old Reader is a pretty direct clone of Google Reader's interface as of a couple years before they shut down. It's free to use as long as you don't have too many subscriptions and not terribly expensive after that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i may be the only person left alive who uses a client side application as an RSS reader (because it's also my email client)

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I have a lot of downtime at my job to waste with an internet connection. I've read a lot of new webcomics this way, I'm considering going back and rereading some of the garbage I liked as a child. I feel like the l33t-speak jokes from Megatokyo have not aged well.

I've reread OotS this way, but it's nice to see how it shifted tonally and in maturity.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's also okay to enjoy things that you know are bad.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

It's also okay to enjoy things that you know are bad.

epic this

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Bell_ posted:

Dungeons of Daggorath in 1982, though I didn't really play it until 1986.

I loved it then for its atmosphere and (for me) difficulty, and love it now for all the features they could squeeze into four kilobytes.

This was one of my first games not on an Atari 2600. I played it on a Tandy color computer 3. I think it was in 1989 or 1990. My parents got it for me when the CC3 was on clearance at Radio Shack. I still remember the ooze in the white level that killed me over and over. Finally learned to basically wipe out everything before going down a level. And to draw maps.

Got DD, some wierd mine platformer, a side scroller where you played as a caveman throwing rocks until you put together a laser shooting space suit, and a cool boolean game where you used logic gates and switches to program this set of three robots to escape from a robot city.

Learned how to program in BASIC on that CC3. Actually came in really handy when I started doing fun stuff in excel.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
All the webcomics (8-bit theatre, 8 easy bits etc.) I used to read back in the old days have come to an end, but OotS and Captain SNES are still somehow going strong. I keep up with OotS through this thread, but I still have like 3 years of Captain SNES to sort through.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

W.T. Fits posted:

At this point, I think the only reason I continue to keep checking Megatokyo is a combination of inertia and sunk cost fallacy. I'm just so goddamn sick of Miho and her stupid drama sucking all the energy out of the story.

I forget, which one was Miho? The voice actress or the waitress?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Hate-Senpai posted:

No, the undead one.

Although they actually did get around to explaining her deal and she isn't undead.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Colonel Cool posted:

Anyone who isn't reading Oglaf is messing up.

Oglaf started out awesome, now maybe one in ten strips is funny.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Earnestly posted:

8 easy bits
You have impeccable taste.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like the only happy stories in the webcomic making world are the ones where authors have points where they're willing to end their creation at some point.

Because otherwise they're tied to their old ideas and writings forever, and one day their creation will be ended involuntarily.

Hate-Senpai posted:

I think she was the weird demon child that was haunting Largo and possibly also Piro's ex internet girlfriend. Also the robot's highschool chum.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mikl posted:

While watching SGDQ this summer, one couch dude says to the speedrunner: "You know, it's funny that you're running a game that's older than you are."

Game: Half-Life (released 1998). A game which I remember eagerly waiting for, and playing on release day.

Made me feel SUPER old.
Okay, coming back to oldchat real quick, this was the one that really hit me. "What? They had a 14-year old... 15-... the runner could be twenty????" Putting it in human terms makes it a lot more real than just abstract numbers.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Lol, yeah I love Ultima 4 and 5, both release several years before my birth. It's a bit surreal sometimes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gynovore posted:

Oglaf started out awesome, now maybe one in ten strips is funny.

Incorrect.

Junior scientist power hour is irregular but good.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

PMush Perfect posted:

Okay, coming back to oldchat real quick, this was the one that really hit me. "What? They had a 14-year old... 15-... the runner could be twenty????" Putting it in human terms makes it a lot more real than just abstract numbers.

What's really loving wild is that Doom 2 came out only 4 years earlier. We went from Doom 2 graphics to Half-life in less than a presidential cycle.

The 90's was like black hole time dilation for video games.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

What's really loving wild is that Doom 2 came out only 4 years earlier. We went from Doom 2 graphics to Half-life in less than a presidential cycle.

The 90's was like black hole time dilation for video games.

And then six years to Half-Life 2, which leapt ahead so far it holds up well today. Things shallowed hard after that.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

fool_of_sound posted:

Lol, yeah I love Ultima 4 and 5, both release several years before my birth. It's a bit surreal sometimes.

Dear Lord, Ultima V. A huge game world, with hundreds of NPCs you could have full conversations with, who had their own daily schedules, and some of them worked for the Big Baddies so you had to be careful who to trust, a complex magic system, 3D dungeons, an underworld as big as the main world... and it came out in '88 and ran on 64K of RAM.

It's really depressing how far down the toilet Lord British has slid since then.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Dear Lord, Ultima V. A huge game world, with hundreds of NPCs you could have full conversations with, who had their own daily schedules, and some of them worked for the Big Baddies so you had to be careful who to trust, a complex magic system, 3D dungeons, an underworld as big as the main world... and it came out in '88 and ran on 64K of RAM.

It's really depressing how far down the toilet Lord British has slid since then.

Serpent Isle is also really good! But yeah, basically all the big names at Origin had a lot of difficulty moving into more modern games.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I hope Rich is okay.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I hope rich changes the entire premise of the comic out of nowhere and the next plot arc is Roy meeting xykon at wrestlemania

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd rather Roy exponentially increase his ki by training in the astral time chamber to the point where he had powers as strong as magic

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Al Borland Korn posted:

I'd rather Roy exponentially increase his ki by training in the astral time chamber to the point where he had powers as strong as magic

Didn't that pretty much happen when he died?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mandatory lesbian posted:

I hope rich changes the entire premise of the comic out of nowhere and the next plot arc is Roy meeting xykon at wrestlemania

I've actually been thinking about Xykon's 'power.. is .... power...' line a lot lately

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

sebmojo posted:

I've actually been thinking about Xykon's 'power.. is .... power...' line a lot lately

It's one on the best character moments in the entire strip. I thinke about it a lot too

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tenebrais posted:

Didn't that pretty much happen when he died?

No when he died he trained with King Kai his Grandad, now he needs a new form of training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

ultrafilter posted:

Any other Sam and Fuzzy fans in here? It's a fairly popular comic but I don't see it come up in any of the webcomic discussions I've run across.

I don't really understand why people are still manually checking websites when RSS readers exist. I don't even know how many comics I follow these days because I just go to one site and it tells me when any of them update.

That said, the official Order of the Stick RSS feed does have some issues, as it doesn't include a Date or an ID field, which can cause issues with some RSS readers, both in ordering posts and identifying posts that have been read. It's one of the reasons I've been using a reddit-generated version of the feed at https://www.reddit.com/r/OOTSFeed/.rss