Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Too Shy Guy posted:

I see what y'all are saying about Silent Hill, but what about Siren? I feel like the source of the curse there would be right at home as the reveal in a Lovecraft short story.
Considering that the shibito curse started because the people of Hanuda ate an alien god it totally is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Too Shy Guy posted:

I see what y'all are saying about Silent Hill, but what about Siren? I feel like the source of the curse there would be right at home as the reveal in a Lovecraft short story.
I totally agree with you there. The plot is a really close parallel to The Shadow over Innsmouth, except the fish alien comes from space rather than the ocean.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

dogstile posted:

At this point i've still never played a silent hill game and i'm worried playing one will make me argue about it like this.

If I ever entered silent hill i'd be chased by goons talking about silent hill.

Your version of Silent Hill would be The horror games thread on the SA forums. Do not repress that desire embrace it. :getin:

Discendo Vox posted:

The only potential exception is Valtiel. Word of god on that character is that a bunch of other cult behaviors and activities, including the appearance of Pyramid Head's robes, were originally based on Valtiel. We don't have as clear an explanation of that figure's role, origin, or importance, or if its origins are rooted in even earlier beliefs.

I always thought it was a background creature that existed for a very specific purpose and has no greater meaning.

What we never get to find out is what Silent Hill really is and what runs it (the dog does of course). I want to say it's always existed but there's no mention of Native Americans that I recall so Silent Hill is not timeless but stared in the 17th/18th century. :iiam: In terms of just Silent Hill 2 I view as an unknowable entity. Otherwise cult magic created it but that's very boring so I don't accept that explanation.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DropsySufferer posted:

What we never get to find out is what Silent Hill really is and what runs it (the dog does of course). I want to say it's always existed but there's no mention of Native Americans that I recall so Silent Hill is not timeless but stared in the 17th/18th century. :iiam: In terms of just Silent Hill 2 I view as an unknowable entity. Otherwise cult magic created it but that's very boring so I don't accept that explanation.
3 and The Book of Lost Memories mention that Silent Hill was always a spiritual place long before the Europeans arrived and the local native tribes considered it sacred. It's implied that the settlers and eventually the cult corrupted the area with their actions and beliefs and Alessa's powers strengthened the power of the town immensely.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It's implied to a degree, but it's ambiguous.

Discendo Vox posted:

The flowers are generally tangential- they're used in ceremonies by the cult, but the location itself appears to be the source of power. As far as the town, it's portrayed very inconsistently. The most recent entries like downpour play up the idea of the location itself having sentience, a framing that gained popularity after SH2. In the original game, the town didn't have any power and it was all Alessa's psychic abilities doing the work.

The most consistent explanation that I've been able to come up with (which is by no means an argument for canonicity or anything) is that the town reflects the psyches of people in it, and their beliefs can have a lasting impression on the town and what it does. What native americans perceived the location to be, and their relationship with it, is never made clear. When the colonists arrived, they committed a whole variety of atrocities in the area and if its latent power weren't evil before, it was rendered that way afterward. In turn, Alessa and the cult have also left impressions on how the town's monsters/imagery etc functioned. Because the cultists believe in some sort of religious ideology, they indirectly project this into the town's creations as well. Their practices have had a sort of placebo effect- believing in them makes them real in Silent Hill, to a degree. That gave them a very limited degree of control, but they never really understand what it is they're messing with. I like the cult as long as they're portrayed in that evil, but ultimately deluded and powerless light- they're very useful narratively speaking, especially if you want to keep every silent hill game from rehashing SH2.

Later games have implied that the town has a mind of its own, and that the scope of its influence has gradually grown, primarily because people are drawn to it from elsewhere (SH2) and it can influence other locations through believers (SH3, 4 and 5).

In terms of a root source, it's been indirectly implied from a few different games and artbooks that the source of SH's effects is either at the bottom of Toluca Lake, or on Toluca Lake Island. Alternately, the lake having such power may just be because a number of shipwrecks and other atrocties have occurred there.

All of this stuff is rewritten and tossed out whenever a development team wanted to reference monsters from past games or justify a different plot element. It's less a matter of "this is mysterious because resolving and explaining everything is bad practice" and more "after the first game the original developers winged it a lot of the time, and when they left the people doing writing weren't very good at it and had a lot more canon to wrestle with".

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Which reminds me of one of the subtler scary bits in SH2. That thing you read about the lake where the dead are supposed to rise up and grab passing sailors to their doom. Then they make you rowboat it for what feels like years, and *nothing* happens. drat you, game

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Silent Hill

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I hear it's a spooky place

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Silent Hill$

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Accordion Man posted:

3 and The Book of Lost Memories mention that Silent Hill was always a spiritual place long before the Europeans arrived and the local native tribes considered it sacred. It's implied that the settlers and eventually the cult corrupted the area with their actions and beliefs and Alessa's powers strengthened the power of the town immensely.
Someone a few pages back in the thread said "so it's basically the Warp" and for all that we see, that really doesn't seem too inaccurate. It's some weird psychoreactive otherspace, whatever else it may also be. Stuff seems to already live there, but in the games that revolve around her, the reason why so much of it looks like Alessa's nightmares is expressly because she's a super-powerful psychic and her horror at being stuck in a hospital, burnt to a crisp, influenced far more of it than everyone else does.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 27, 2018

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Going back a couple of pages, but the wax puzzle clicked and made perfect sense to me too. Its a very "Point and click" kinda puzzle in my mind. Could easily have seen that in a Monkey Island game and I loving love me some Point and Click games.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Near as I can tell, there's three stories you could pull out of Silent Hill. First is the 'people want to be punished' genius loci town that pulls in the guilty and forces them to move past it / accept it / die in the process. That's 2, that's Downpour. Second is the cult angle. There's this crazy powerful THING in Silent Hill, and we don't know nearly enough about what it is but a butt-ton of people worship it. People in this cult are obsessed with suffering and rebirth and its cycle; they'll torture kids (1, 4) or entrap young women (3) to their ends. This horror can even escape Silent Hill and entrap individuals in other places, as happens in the third kind of story. Which is: wrong place, wrong time, some dude just gets involved incidentally and their own personal neuroses are minimally inflicted on the town (Origins, 4.) There is also the UFO secret story in which the game is a cash grab by idiots (BoM, Homecoming).

Perhaps coincidentally, perhaps not, there is a cycle of 'rebirth' in the first kind of Silent Hill story, wherein someone emerges from the town new or dies in the attempt, and in the second, which is all about the cult / god.

apparently there's mobile games too but whatever. i was being generous including origins / homecoming in the first place, gently caress that.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 27, 2018

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Can you ever get to the island on Toluca lake? I always got too creeped out to attempt rowing out there (or I thought the boat rowing time was tied to an ending condition, either or).

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Can you ever get to the island on Toluca lake? I always got too creeped out to attempt rowing out there (or I thought the boat rowing time was tied to an ending condition, either or).
No. James does head out there in the Rebirth ending, but its just a cutscene.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm gone for a week only to discover that THQ's rescued Alone in the Dark from Atari? I can think of no better outcome for that, or any, franchise than ripping it from Atari's mouldering grasp.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cardiovorax posted:

I mean, kinda yes and kinda no. When you look at the Silent Hill 2 artbook, nearly every creature is described or taglines with some variation on "this here thingie represents James frustrated libido/rage against the world/potty training" or something that nature. Yeah, the other two bring their own monsters with them, but the only time you actually see them is when you run into the woman's "Abstract Daddy" that represents how he molested her. The rest of the time, it's almost solipsistic in how completely it focuses on James and his personal concerns. It would certainly be bullshit to say that about the other games, but for Silent Hill 2 alone? It's really tight writing and right on the money. People call the Silent Hill series psychological horror, but Silent Hill 2 is the only one that actually is. It's why, even here, people either like it the most or the least: it's actually very different from the rest of the series.

I mean, let's not kid ourselves, the cult storyline is stupid. I mean, it's genuinely dumb and it makes no sense at all. The evil goopmonsters are hostile to everyone, including their own cult, and there is no sane reason why anyone would even worship Twitchy McPointyhat at all, never mind entire generations of people in both this town and apparently the neighbouring ones. It's very visibly a symptom of "functional 90s writing," as you might call it: a villain responsible for everything was needed, an evil cult fit the bill. Making sense was a distant second concern.

It's why I can agree with "a good game in a mediocre series" from a writing perspective, because for all that Umbrella Corporation is more visibly over-the-top and ridiculous, making monsters to sell them for cash monies actually makes more sense as a setting antagonist with a comprehensible motivation. SH's cult is just a plain mess.

Surely this demon born from a nightmare realm of infinite suffering and abuse will help us

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I started mulling over statements of Silent Hill being a bad series, based on the majority of its games being bad

I realized Resident Evil has probably reached this point, as well, or is getting dangerously close

and that since those comprise the majority of horror games (well, those and tacky Steam games)... horror might, mathematically, be a bad genre

but then I thought about it more, and with all the shovelware and lovely cash ins and everything else in existence, if you measure something by the majority of its entries I think, statistically, video games might just be bad in general

the truth has been revealed, my third eye has opened, and I now see the real horror was here the whole time

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I started mulling over statements of Silent Hill being a bad series, based on the majority of its games being bad

I realized Resident Evil has probably reached this point, as well, or is getting dangerously close

and that since those comprise the majority of horror games (well, those and tacky Steam games)... horror might, mathematically, be a bad genre

but then I thought about it more, and with all the shovelware and lovely cash ins and everything else in existence, if you measure something by the majority of its entries I think, statistically, video games might just be bad in general

the truth has been revealed, my third eye has opened, and I now see the real horror was here the whole time

I gaze upon you with my fourth eye wide and open, its noxious light burning heinous knowledge into your mind.

"Almost everything is garbage. Books, movies, music, paintings, all of it. Everything is garbage. Turn your face to the sky and laugh."

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Improbable Lobster posted:

Surely this demon born from a nightmare realm of infinite suffering and abuse will help us

but enough about our president

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Eh, it seems like 1/2/3 are all considered good and 4/5/Shattered Memories usually fall under the internet thing of "This is either an okay thing buried under unfortunate problems or a terrible abomination that kicked my dog and cut off a part of my penis, there is no in-between" syndrome.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"Okay thing buried under unfortunate problems" turns out to run a really broad spectrum.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 28, 2018

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
In my restless dreams, I see that town.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Toluca Lake always seemed weird to me, because that was where you were supposed to mail your submissions for America’s Funniest Home Videos

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

el oso posted:

In my restless dreams, I see that town.

cleveland.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CommunityEdition posted:

Toluca Lake always seemed weird to me, because that was where you were supposed to mail your submissions for America’s Funniest Home Videos
You mean a place where ordinary happy memories have all the joy drained out of them?

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
Horror games are notoriously hard to get right because everybody reacts very differently to the concepts they try to bring forth. Concepts that cannot be repeated too often or they lose their impact. We all remember how popular P.T was when this kind of approach to horror was not oversaturated. But even P.T bounced off some people.

With books and movies, you control 100% of the experience for the viewer/reader so you can deal with some of these challenges, when you add gameplay elements, if you are not careful, you can cheapen or kill certain elements of the horror you are trying to convey. It's a constant act of balancing and it's very easy to gently caress everything up. A good example I can think of is the enemies facing the player. Make encounters with them too hard and you cheapen the "death" by having it happen way too often. Make it too easy and the player doesn't feel threatened / scared by the enemies. After the 30th death to the Alien in Alien: Isolation, it kinda loses it's bang and the only terrifying thing about it is that your last save point was 20 minutes ago.

Jump scares are the same, overuse them and tension turns into anger/frustration.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Horror games tend to have a lot more low budget games, so its harder to separate the wheat from the chaff. (Not that all low budget games are bad)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Horror is particularly conducive to low-budget productions because it heavily runs on what you don't see. Your imagination can fill in the blanks much better than in pure action titles that run on visible spectacle, so you can do more with less simply by being clever and anticipating how the player will react to and feel about the glimpses that you do show.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like every Silent Hill game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

voltcatfish posted:

I like every Silent Hill game

Downpour? Really?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Downpour is fine. Certainly much better than the cargo cult M Night Shymalan flick that was Homecoming.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm going to try another thread question:

Which Silent Hill game after 4 had the best approach to combat? And Why?

This is basically to figure out what role agency and combat agency specifically should have in horror games- plus broader questions about good or bad combat design.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sakurazuka posted:

Downpour? Really?

To be honest I'm surprised you're not more outraged at me loving Shattered Memories

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

To be honest I'm surprised you're not more outraged at me loving Shattered Memories

I know what I'm upset about

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

voltcatfish posted:

Shattered Memories is fine if uninspired, I tried playing Downpour last year and it was physically painful

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Which Silent Hill game after 4 had the best approach to combat? And Why?

This is basically to figure out what role agency and combat agency specifically should have in horror games- plus broader questions about good or bad combat design.
I think they're all fairly similar, except for Shattered Memories, but in general, I think this is actually a very good question that horror developers should ask themselves. I'm personally of the opinion that having combat available at least as an option helps make horror games more tense. The "fight or flight" reflex is something really, really important when it comes to how humans deal with fear. Subjectively, games like Amnesia which do not even allow you to fight always made monsters feel more like mobile enviromental hazards to me.

The monsters are less scary because they're not really monsters. They're like... reskinned, roving pillars of flame, or rows of spikes coming after you. That's something you avoid, yes, something that's even scary, but at the same time, it feels less like a hostile living creature that's after you personally. You can't fight back against a pillar of fire, but you can, always, fight back against something that's alive, even if the power difference is so great that fighting is fruitless. It takes away a bit of the tension because there's no internal "fight or flight" conflict anymore - you must default to flight, every time, which is maybe more intense, but also less tense on an emotional level. You know what to expect, which is rather bad for the mental state horror seeks to induce.

voltcatfish posted:

Personally, it bored to me to tears, but that's something I can say about a lot of technically really good works of fiction, so I can't imagine why I would be upset at anyone for it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm a rather casual gamer, and in my experience, the major point of argument I've had with friends about horror games is the idea that few gameplay options and limited, frustrating controls actually makes for a better horror game.

I didn't like Resident Evil until RE4 came out; make of that what you will.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Downpour was one of those games for me where almost *all* of my problems with it came from the combat. Fix that and it's an entirely different game. I was okay with the story, I thought the environments ranged from okay to pretty good. None of it matters much since that kind of game shouldn't be throwing a parade of monsters that can stunlock you from a mile off and none of your weapons can do much against, yet you're usually required to fight them anyway.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm a rather casual gamer, and in my experience, the major point of argument I've had with friends about horror games is the idea that few gameplay options and limited, frustrating controls actually makes for a better horror game.

I didn't like Resident Evil until RE4 came out; make of that what you will.
See, this is a really hard and difficult debate because "horror" isn't a genre in the sense that you can define it on the level of gameplay, the way you can really easily draw the line between RTS or RPGs or Action Shooter games. A horror game is defined by how the player feels about it, not by how it is played.

The real question here is, in a lot of ways, what would make you more scared while you're playing the game? Being powerful and competent and treating enemies as only so much mildly inconvenient chaff to overcome, or struggling with controls and gameplay options that make you only barely capable of surviving at all and turn every enemy into a serious threat? In a lot of ways, RE4 isn't horror, because you never feel powerless or out of options.

Alien: Isolation managed to cross that particular tightrope really well. You never feel powerful and in control of the situation, but it's also basically an FPS in terms of controls, so it more or less has the best of both worlds. The price for that, however, is to have only a single immortal enemy that you never can defeat no matter how much you fight, which would annoy a completely different demography from yourself.

In the end, it's not an easy thing to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DeathChicken posted:

Downpour was one of those games for me where almost *all* of my problems with it came from the combat. Fix that and it's an entirely different game. I was okay with the story, I thought the environments ranged from okay to pretty good. None of it matters much since that kind of game shouldn't be throwing a parade of monsters that can stunlock you from a mile off and none of your weapons can do much against, yet you're usually required to fight them anyway.

That's my problem too, they somehow managed to make the combat worse than any of the previous games under the guise of 'fixing' it.