Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I think I've made this post here before, but every horror game that features combat needs to start where Condemned: Criminal Origins did and go from there. That's the only game I've ever played where the combat itself was a major feature of the horror, where I was the most unsettled when I was actually fighting something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm a rather casual gamer, and in my experience, the major point of argument I've had with friends about horror games is the idea that few gameplay options and limited, frustrating controls actually makes for a better horror game.

I didn't like Resident Evil until RE4 came out; make of that what you will.

I think the idea is to induce panic, emulating something like fumbling for your keys to open a door, but the problem is that it rarely is panic inducing. It's just creating an arbitrary blocker even when you know what to do instead of letting you make mistakes naturally. Silent Hill's controls aren't great for combat, but the actual combat is just "look at thing and hit the button and win now", so instead of being panic inducing it's just this other god drat thing you need to fiddle with while winning. I feel like SH3's level design was better at inducing panic than its controls. You're frequently moving forward, so you can reasonably run from something and expect it to not show back up again, but so many of those levels are cramped so you will have to get close to or otherwise deal with the monsters in some way.

Also it removed (most of) those town sections, which were just garbage empty nothings the moment you realized you always run faster than the monsters.

Honestly though, I don't really think Silent Hill or Resident Evil made the decision to have tank controls because they were bad or frustrating. I think they were just the go to solution for handling locked bizarre camera angles at the time. I think people read too much into the controls not being conducive to combat. edit: People do that poo poo with the bad voice acting too. GYROMANCY

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 28, 2018

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Cardiovorax posted:

See, this is a really hard and difficult debate because "horror" isn't a genre in the sense that you can define it on the level of gameplay, the way you can really easily draw the line between RTS or RPGs or Action Shooter games. A horror game is defined by how the player feels about it, not by how it is played.

Which is why people generally use "Survival Horror" to describe the "mechanical" genre even if the game isn't actually scary.
Games only really being categorised by mechanics and not narrative is something that annoys me quite a bit.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I really think sometimes that maybe someone should try to find a way to make movie horror labels map to games somehow, because if I had to put a name to it myself, I'd say Condemned borders on splatter almost more than on horror. The Condemned series are amazingly good and fun games to play, but they're also kinda niche in their own way, because they've got very heavy action elements that wouldn't appeal to the type who thinks Silent Hill is what horror games should be, for example.

[edit]

TGLT posted:

Honestly though, I don't really think Silent Hill or Resident Evil made the decision to have tank controls because they were bad or frustrating. I think they were just the go to solution for handling locked bizarre camera angles at the time.
It's really because, in a lot of ways, they are one of the best ways to deal with full-360-degrees freedom in a pre-rendered scene like early RE titles used. Tank controls existed before analog controls did, so the idea of rotating your character in the direction you want to move instead of only being able to move at 90 degree angles was actually pretty ingenious.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 28, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cardiovorax posted:

See, this is a really hard and difficult debate because "horror" isn't a genre in the sense that you can define it on the level of gameplay, the way you can really easily draw the line between RTS or RPGs or Action Shooter games. A horror game is defined by how the player feels about it, not by how it is played.

The real question here is, in a lot of ways, what would make you more scared while you're playing the game? Being powerful and competent and treating enemies as only so much mildly inconvenient chaff to overcome, or struggling with controls and gameplay options that make you only barely capable of surviving at all and turn every enemy into a serious threat? In a lot of ways, RE4 isn't horror, because you never feel powerless or out of options.

Alien: Isolation managed to cross that particular tightrope really well. You never feel powerful and in control of the situation, but it's also basically an FPS in terms of controls, so it more or less has the best of both worlds. The price for that, however, is to have only a single immortal enemy that you never can defeat no matter how much you fight, which would annoy a completely different demography from yourself.
Yeah, that's a good point. Personally, I find that fear gives way to aggravation if the controls are lousy, the gameplay is try-or-die, and combat is repetitive. The gold standard for this IME is Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Reenacting the escape from Gilman House was brilliant idea, but they totally squander it because the whole process is a try-and-die until you know a precise sequence of doors to open.

If RE4 isn't horror, it's not because it has smooth gameplay, but because of the amount of resources it gives you, the resource management, and some plot elements that are arguably over the top even by Resident Evil standards. (Namely the bit where Salazar's castle is also a Temple of Doom style rollercoaster inside a volcano.) I'm playing through Dead Space right now, and I find that while it does have money and equipment upgrades, it's handled in such a way that I don't feel like I'm killing monsters for fun and profit and dutifully checking for pocket change under every couch.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Halloween Jack posted:

If RE4 isn't horror, it's not because it has smooth gameplay, but because of the amount of resources it gives you, the resource management, and some plot elements that are arguably over the top even by Resident Evil standards.
Fundamentally, I really agree with you there. RE4's "problem," such as it is, is that for a horror game, it just plays too much like a shooting gallery - a shooting gallery which is loving amazing and absolutely the most fun I have ever had in a Resident Evil game, but it's also not really scary in any sense of the word. Horror games tend to work best when fighting feels like a viable option, but also very much not like a good one. Early Resident Evil and Silent Hill titles both relied heavily on the possibility of just plain bypassing their monsters altogether. If you can just run past a zombie, is putting a whole pile of bullets into it while maybe getting hurt really worth it? That's the kind of decision making Horror lives on. This doesn't require bad gameplay, it's just that it's far easier to make combat hard to the player than it is to make it hard to the game character. Improving skill can trivialize a lot of the latter, but something that's just plain hard to do right? Stays hard to do right.

For what it's worth? Resident Evil 7 has really good shooter dynamics, but it gets the balance far far better and actually scares the poo poo out of me and most people. Try that if this is your kind of thing, it genuinely is just that much better than 5 and 6.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The first dead space was actually really good with pacing and set pieces.

Then it gives you that tiny room and the loving rhino thing fight.

E: RE7 chat, that stopped being a horror for me right about the time I started doing donuts in that dudes garage.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, Resident Evil always has been about the cheesy B horror, soooo... :v:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

It's really because, in a lot of ways, they are one of the best ways to deal with full-360-degrees freedom in a pre-rendered scene like early RE titles used. Tank controls existed before analog controls did, so the idea of rotating your character in the direction you want to move instead of only being able to move at 90 degree angles was actually pretty ingenious.

I think comparing how Silent Hill 1 handled that opening alleyway scene to how something like Sonic Adventure handles movement and camera, just period whatsoever, is illuminating. Also yeah, I think people arguing the tank controls are an intentionally bad stylistic choice forget that the first dual analog controllers for the PSX came out less than a year before RE2.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

TGLT posted:

I think comparing how Silent Hill 1 handled that opening alleyway scene to how something like Sonic Adventure handles movement and camera, just period whatsoever, is illuminating. Also yeah, I think people arguing the tank controls are an intentionally bad stylistic choice forget that the first dual analog controllers for the PSX came out less than a year before RE2.
Plus, it's how Alone In The Dark did it, which is like Resident Evil's PC-based grandfather from four years earlier, so there's a pedrigree of inspiration in there, too.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DeathChicken posted:

Eh, it seems like 1/2/3 are all considered good and 4/5/Shattered Memories usually fall under the internet thing of "This is either an okay thing buried under unfortunate problems or a terrible abomination that kicked my dog and cut off a part of my penis, there is no in-between" syndrome.

I hear theres significant exploration on the consequences of circumcision in the series

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

dogstile posted:

E: RE7 chat, that stopped being a horror for me right about the time I started doing donuts in that dudes garage.

What I like about this section is that, for a while, you feel empowered, being able to run this guy over repeatedly, it's awesome. Then he disappear. Then he rips off the loving roof (which made everyone I've seen play it jump), and as you start driving around the garage, the game made me think "Oh poo poo, did i gently caress up? Am I going to die now? Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo" right until you ram into that girder. Which is a good sense of horror for me.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The invisible bugs, Dr. Salvador, and the blind Wolverine dudes were plenty scary in RE4. Especially when you get trapped in that little prison with one

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Bogart posted:

The invisible bugs, Dr. Salvador, and the blind Wolverine dudes were plenty scary in RE4. Especially when you get trapped in that little prison with one
The chaingun guy and especially the frickin' Regenerators too. RE4 was the more thrilling kind of horror than the chilling kind.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Resident Evil 4 definitely had its moments. The creepy mutterings of the villagers, the first time (and second time, and third time) you hear a chainsaw rev up, making GBS threads your pants when a villager's head explodes into a flailing parasite, finding the documents on the Regenerators and getting that immediate sensation of "he's right behind me, isn't he?"

Resident Evil in general was rarely about atmosphere, for me personally; it was always those "thing crawls by the window real fast" moments. Sewers aren't inherently creepy, the knowledge that there's absolutely gonna be some kind of hosed up monster down there, though, inspires dread. For me RE4 was like, the peak--it hit those jump scares, those thrills, those moments of dread the hardest they'd been hit since maybe RE2, while also letting me play a human that didn't have a lovely turning around disease (or a psychological aversion to knee high fences)

RE5 then proceeded to lean way, way too hard into playing supercop but that's a different rant

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Resident Evil 4 definitely had its moments. The creepy mutterings of the villagers
Admittedly, they're a lot less scary if you speak Spanish. "Lárgate, cabrón!" ("Get out of here, rear end in a top hat!") The monk guys say "cerebro, cerebro, cerebro" every so often, which just means "brains, brains, brains." RE4 definitely embraced its own schlockiness. Not to say that it doesn't have some real good, tense action scenes, though. Novistadors and Salvador were pretty terrifying, just not in a horror kind of way to me.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm looking to buy a pc horror game as a gift, what's good in the last year or two for someone who dug soma/vanishing of Ethan carter

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I really liked Detention, although it's a point and click, not an FPS thing

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I'm looking to buy a pc horror game as a gift, what's good in the last year or two for someone who dug soma/vanishing of Ethan carter

White Day remake.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Jonathan Fisk posted:

It’s not strictly horror, but if they liked Ethan Carter they will probably really dig What Remains of Edith Finch.

The Penumbra games and Amnesia too, of course.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Too Shy Guy posted:

I think I've made this post here before, but every horror game that features combat needs to start where Condemned: Criminal Origins did and go from there. That's the only game I've ever played where the combat itself was a major feature of the horror, where I was the most unsettled when I was actually fighting something.

Condemned really sold it's grungy combat super well, the sound design was on point and most all the weapons being in disrepair meant they could really put the effects on when you swung them into someone.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It also managed to be really fun to play while effectively reinforcing the horror, partly because while it was controllable and fun and skill based, your enemies were really erratic and individually could be quite dangerous unless you abused the hell out of the hypertaser when you had it.

Hell, by being dangerous, they made it more fun, since it actually felt like a victory when you managed to club down another giant hobo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Of the original Condemned, I really only thought the puppet factory was scary, per se. The rest is grungy and visceral as all get-out, great atmosphere, but a bit too fast-paced and heavy on the action to really let that oppressive horror-type sense of anxiety grow for me.

And, of course, once you get to the Super Saiyan shouting powers, all bets are off.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Of the original Condemned, I really only thought the puppet factory was scary, per se. The rest is grungy and visceral as all get-out, great atmosphere, but a bit too fast-paced and heavy on the action to really let that oppressive horror-type sense of anxiety grow for me.

And, of course, once you get to the Super Saiyan shouting powers, all bets are off.

Both those things were Condemned 2. Condemned 1 didn't have super powers (beyond like, the usual videogame resistance to damage and being able to heal using painkillers) or a puppet factory.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The first game had a lot more thematic spooky levels, the ending farmhouse is still creepy as hell.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Appreciate the recommendations y'all. I think he's played through the old amnesia and penumbra games but I'll give the rest a look!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Both those things were Condemned 2. Condemned 1 didn't have super powers (beyond like, the usual videogame resistance to damage and being able to heal using painkillers) or a puppet factory.
Really? Huh, coulda sworn. They're generally similar enough that I'm of mixing them up in my memory. On the upshot, that means Condemned 2 was also the one with the motherfucking undead grizzly bear, which was utterly pantswetting enough to make up for super-voice shenanigans.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yardbomb posted:

The first game had a lot more thematic spooky levels, the ending farmhouse is still creepy as hell.

However out of left field the goddamn stick fighting demon was, the fact that you have to kill it with a shovel and ripping its face off in a burning barn really sold that conclusion.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cardiovorax posted:

Really? Huh, coulda sworn. They're generally similar enough that I'm of mixing them up in my memory. On the upshot, that means Condemned 2 was also the one with the motherfucking undead grizzly bear, which was utterly pantswetting enough to make up for super-voice shenanigans.

That should be in a spoiler tag if this game was not lost to time forever :/

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah, an unkillable monster in a book is easy to make interesting compared to an unkillable monster in a game.

Also one thing that occurred to me. How often do the instant kill monsters thrown at you get to show off? Show off ( and this is the important part) Outside of a canned kill cutscene against you or hapless NPCs.

While nowhere near horror, guilty pleasure game "Breakdown" on the old Xbox had essentially "What if. Tyrant was sephiroth from the waist up?" as the stock unkillable until boss fight guy.

What stood out to me was a point where after you had to do a bunch of dodging around instant death laser trip mines, he just casually walks through the explosions without even paying attention to their existence. This garbage game, stumbled rear end backwards into the missing ingredient so often skiped out on "horror" games. Where it's 10% effort in "when they are not killing you" and 90% effort "We get to kill an NPC or player now!"

Why don't more games have them do sweet poo poo like flipping past turret fire in pursuit of the player? "These turrets will slow them down! It worked in ALIENS... oh. Oh poo poo :stare:" (Prey's turrets are made of balsa wood a stiff breeze will knock over, so don't really count there)

Getting to show off in any way but "Surprise! Now someone is dead!" would also helping to reinforce WHY your super murderer is contractually unkillable in a way that feels deserved.

Accordion Man posted:

The chaingun guy and especially the frickin' Regenerators too. RE4 was the more thrilling kind of horror than the chilling kind.
RE4's regenerators are my absolute favorite nigh immortal monster.

Because while it's WILDLY impractical to the point of being self destructive. The fact you can kill them without the gimmick makes a huge, HUGE difference in mentality. Even if that would involve upending an entire suitcase full of grenades and shotgun shells until you finally kill them by accident.

It makes you feel smart for using the thermal scope, because it is the "Practical option" rather than the "Only option."

Meanwhile, running from the 'regenerator' in Dead Space until the inevitable cryo freeze was the least scary thing in that game to me. "Well, this guy is doing nothing interesting. Hurry it up with the inevitable cryo freeze or whatever already, we get the point"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 28, 2018

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I thought you fried the regenerator in a jet engine exhaust flame in Dead Space and not froze it

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

szary posted:

I thought you fried the regenerator in a jet engine exhaust flame in Dead Space and not froze it
It's been forever and I only remembered the initial freeze segment :downs: But the basic point remains.

Though for whatever reason I'm often more scared of trash monsters than the setpiece or intended big deal monsters in games. The psychic monkeys in System Shock 2 sent me fleeing in confused terror, twice. Meanwhile giant spiders were met with irritation even as my organs dissolved from turbo poison.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 28, 2018

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Alien Isolation also did that well, where your first early threats are people with guns who will kill you pretty easily. Then once the alien enters the picture, if any gun toting humans happen to be in the same room with it you get to watch as the Xenomorph swats them all around like yarn balls.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DeathChicken posted:

Alien Isolation also did that well, where your first early threats are people with guns who will kill you pretty easily. Then once the alien enters the picture, if any gun toting humans happen to be in the same room with it you get to watch as the Xenomorph swats them all around like yarn balls.
That answer is a big part of why I was curious about examples where the Killer/Monster gets to show off in ways that ISN'T "Look at me kill these NPCs/The player."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Condemned deserved a better sequel, but it's clear that the same creative minds that made the first game had had the second game in mind the whole time. We got lucky.

...I've got an effortpost brewing about agency, player role, combat and horror games, but I need to think on it some more.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 29, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It's not so much horror as it is "Aaaaaah" action, but RE6 lets it's big recurring enemies do fun stuff. Ustanak, the hulking Leatherface nemesis dude in Jake and Sherry's campaign is really agile despite being a big ole juggernaut, leaps across a big gap and starts climbing a building to keep after you, jumps across helicopters to pursue you during a chopper flight, pretty much nigh indestructible and survives all sorts of hell to keep coming back, including squaring off with a huge cave driller you're driving up on him with. Ubistvo, also in Jake and Sherry's, is a freaky meat+bone chainsaw armed monster that has the same sorta deal, one of the highlights of their encounters is when you're steering a boat through this crowded channel in china, by this point you already busted him up once and he dunked off into the murky water, but then you see this weird light moving through the water real fast and start seeing power lines and towers come down, obviously as that thing's racing through the water and sawing down foundations still after you.

Whatever gripes people have with that game, I've never seen someone mad about the crazy, creative enemies.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Yardbomb posted:

It's not so much horror as it is "Aaaaaah" action, but RE6 lets it's big recurring enemies do fun stuff. Ustanak, the hulking Leatherface nemesis dude in Jake and Sherry's campaign is really agile despite being a big ole juggernaut, leaps across a big gap and starts climbing a building to keep after you, jumps across helicopters to pursue you during a chopper flight, pretty much nigh indestructible and survives all sorts of hell to keep coming back, including squaring off with a huge cave driller you're driving up on him with. Ubistvo, also in Jake and Sherry's, is a freaky meat+bone chainsaw armed monster that has the same sorta deal, one of the highlights of their encounters is when you're steering a boat through this crowded channel in china, by this point you already busted him up once and he dunked off into the murky water, but then you see this weird light moving through the water real fast and start seeing power lines and towers come down, obviously as that thing's racing through the water and sawing down foundations still after you.

Whatever gripes people have with that game, I've never seen someone mad about the crazy, creative enemies.
I actually skipped out on playing 6 beyond about the first hour or so? And those sound like great examples :buddy:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Section Z posted:

I actually skipped out on playing 6 beyond about the first hour or so? And those sound like great examples :buddy:

Too bad the game they're in Isn't Good

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yardbomb posted:

Condemned really sold it's grungy combat super well, the sound design was on point and most all the weapons being in disrepair meant they could really put the effects on when you swung them into someone.

yeah. id love to see monolinth make another condemed in the style of 1. hell, they could just start over with the story. that game was spooky as gently caress at points.