Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I remember the good old days when you would lay thine eyes upon a Wahlschein and the NPD candidates were all Industrieschweissers, Klempners, selbstbeschäftigt and arbeitssuchend.

Makes me sad, Motherfucker, how far we done fell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Here’s your first distraction from the Kav confirmation:

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1045688120652517376?s=2

Congrats on completely forgetting about Kavanaugh before the weekend ends.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I remember the good old days when you would lay thine eyes upon a Wahlschein and the NPD candidates were all Industrieschweissers, Klempners, selbstbeschäftigt and arbeitssuchend.

in englisch, bitte

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

boop the snoot posted:

Congrats on completely forgetting about Kavanaugh before the weekend ends.

gently caress Kavanaugh, people aren't going to forget that he's a rapist piece of poo poo just because their rapist President is also a piece of poo poo

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

quote:

The draft statement, issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), was written to justify President Trump’s decision to freeze federal fuel efficiency standards for cars and light trucks built after 2020. While the proposal would increase greenhouse gas emissions, the impact statement says, that policy would add just a very small drop to a very big, hot bucket.
Deny climate change for 30 years, then claim it's now too late to do anything about it, might as well keep polluting. WTEverlovingF.
If this was a Captain Planet episode, it would be rejected as too one-dimensional and over the top even for that franchise.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:stoked: to have my marriage annulled and declared illegal
Thankfully, very unlikely. Marriage equality is on far stronger constitutional grounds than abortion.
(Though "very unlikely" is a drat cold comfort for something that important.)

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The northern hemisphere will be somewhat shielded from the worst parts of this nightmare scenario. Bangladesh and a good portion of the Indian subcontinent will be underwater, which will prompt a humanitarian and migrant crisis that makes what’s happening in the Mediterranean look like a Global Entry queue by comparison.

Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and part of India will be underwater. The rest of India will become literal desert with 140+ temperatures. Either way, roughly 2 billion people suddenly looking for a new home will sure be something. I suspect the world (what's left of it) will dissolve into full-fascism by that point.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Auf Englisch bitte.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

boop the snoot posted:

My weekend is loaded with distractions like Ancient Aliens and Ghost Adventures. They seem more rational than the horseshit going on in Washington.

All hail ancient ghost aliens.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Luckily my old man is coming in town this weekend. Gonna be nothing but booze, weed, and motorcycles until the god awful hangover on Monday morning

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I'm gonna distract myself with booze and blow and hopefully my heart explodes

Edit: might be good news?

https://twitter.com/ChicagoPhotoSho/status/1045715711715409920?s=19

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 28, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

joat mon posted:

Deny climate change for 30 years, then claim it's now too late to do anything about it, might as well keep polluting. WTEverlovingF.
If this was a Captain Planet episode, it would be rejected as too one-dimensional and over the top even for that franchise.

Thankfully, very unlikely. Marriage equality is on far stronger constitutional grounds than abortion.
(Though "very unlikely" is a drat cold comfort for something that important.)

Marriage equality is built on the exact same framework as Roe. It has no stronger footing than any other privacy right incorporated via the due process clause because they're all made up rights that don't actually exist in the text.

Anti-sodomy laws were overturned on the same grounds. It's very possible that a lot of federal protections are going to disappear in the next few years as we slide further into an oligarchy.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I'm gonna distract myself with booze and blow and hopefully my heart explodes

Edit: might be good news?

https://twitter.com/ChicagoPhotoSho/status/1045715711715409920?s=19

i'm just hoping flake pullin a john mccain and betraying them on the actual floor

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Marriage equality is built on the exact same framework as Roe. It has no stronger footing than any other privacy right incorporated via the due process clause because they're all made up rights that don't actually exist in the text.

Anti-sodomy laws were overturned on the same grounds. It's very possible that a lot of federal protections are going to disappear in the next few years as we slide further into an oligarchy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griswold_v._Connecticut#Precedent_for_later_cases

Just to emphasize everything in that list is at stake. Kavanaugh explicitly stated that he disagrees with Griswold v Connecticut so thats all likely to come down.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i'm just hoping flake pullin a john mccain and betraying them on the actual floor

that would own

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/1045723406111580160

They're all fighting over the tiny sliver of Flake's conscience.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Was Flake the one that got confronted in the lift today? Because goddamn you'd have to be one serious stone cold evil motherfucker for that to not sway you, even if it was to just protect yourself from that again.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

not caring here posted:

Was Flake the one that got confronted in the lift today? Because goddamn you'd have to be one serious stone cold evil motherfucker for that to not sway you, even if it was to just protect yourself from that again.

You don't get to that position without being stone cold. Ugh, I'm feeling optimistic, I shouldn't.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I’d like to think my tweeting at Flake all morning and calling him a coward has had some influence on his reconsidering.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah Flake's Mr Elevator, and it pretty obviously shook him up. He apparently stepped out of the room with Coons and Klobuchar earlier which set off the back room scrum.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, it's one thing to be a son of a bitch with the swipe of a pen when the repercussions you'll never see.

When people are ready to bail you up in an elevator and display to the entire world that you might as well have told all rape victims to get hosed, well.

I'm making no predictions here on which way it'll go, but that is some serious poo poo to have thrown in your face when you are normally miles away from it all.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s poo poo like this that makes me feel like there is an irrepairable schism between red and blue America, and what scares me is that I don’t see a solution on the horizon.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

DoktorLoken posted:

It’s poo poo like this that makes me feel like there is an irrepairable schism between red and blue America, and what scares me is that I don’t see a solution on the horizon.

A solid system of public education, healthcare, and welfare improvement, as well as infrastructure spending increases and decreased military and law enforcement spending is a good start.

Getting those changes into rural areas is vital to its success.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Rumblings of a week delay on a vote.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
poo poo, he has a spine. Not much of one, but at least its there.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Delay for a week for fbi investigation.

Just kick it over to Mueller.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

A solid system of public education, healthcare, and welfare improvement, as well as infrastructure spending increases and decreased military and law enforcement spending is a good start.

Getting those changes into rural areas is vital to its success.

Rural areas continuously vote against improving any of those things, even for themselves. Look at Kansas, for example.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mr. Nice! posted:

Rural areas continuously vote against improving any of those things, even for themselves. Look at Kansas, for example.

I didn't comment on feasibility, just saying that there is a solution

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Judiciary just voted 11-10 to send Kav to the full senate for consideration.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Rumblings of a week delay on a vote.

This is going to be fun when McConnell/Trump decide gently caress Flake, they call the vote anyways, and Flake votes yes.

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1045734463190302720?s=19

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A whole week to do all due diligence. Wow how generous.

He means a week to forget about this whole thing because Trump/Republicans will do some other dumb poo poo in the meantime.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

boop the snoot posted:

He means a week to forget about this whole thing because Trump/Republicans will do some other dumb poo poo in the meantime.

They won't wait a week. McConnell makes the decision and he didn't agree to do loving anything for Flake. Likewise, there's absolutely nothing forcing the FBI's hand.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Didn't Flake get some BS 'agreement' in the past over a close vote on immigration or something that McConnell and Trump turned around and torched immediately afterward?

edit - one other point of consideration, there should be polls arriving in the next 4-5 days post Ford/Kav hearing that will give senators on the fence a better feel on how this is all playing out in the public.

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 28, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Flake follows the fine example set by McCain.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
There's nothing holding them to waiting a week, just him asking really nicely for them to. I guess the real question now is if when they decide to ignore him and hold the vote next monday will he keep that hint of a spine or will it dissolve.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kavanaugh could rape a dozen kids on the Senate floor and Donnie and Turtleman still do their best to shove this through while Flake asks nicely for a week for due diligence.

"A week pretty please? Not two, he played football and got good grades so we owe him that much"

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

Kavanaugh could rape a dozen kids on the Senate floor and Donnie and Turtleman still do their best to shove this through while Flake asks nicely for a week for due diligence.

And they would succeed.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

boop the snoot posted:

The Clarence Thomas poo poo took about three days for the FBI to look into, so it's not that unreasonable!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

in englisch, bitte

DoktorLoken posted:

Auf Englisch bitte.

OCHSENSCHEISSE! EINE SECHS STUNDEN BEWÄHRUNG, BITTE, IHR ELENDIGEN STUHLMAJOREN!

ENTMENSCHLICHE DICH SELBST UND GESICHT ZU BLUTSCHUPPEN

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The women that confronted Flake in the elevator possibly just changed history.

https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/status/1045743972268875776?s=19

Might be a very small change to history, but I would bet money Flake was going to be done with this whole thing without those survivors calling him out on his poo poo.

• Locked thread