Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Togashi will kill Kurapika and actually follow through with using a life-leech ability. The power of friendship will fail and Benjamin will take the throne by being the most prepared. And with Kurapika dead it will make room for a surprise MC in the form of Bill. Leorio will still not get any panel time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The way that's phrased makes it sound like HxH will be back on a semi-regular schedule for more than 2 months and no longer go on year long hiatuses which I know just flat out isn't true so I didn't even really get excited reading it that way. But man what if, huh

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that doesn't really say anything new. we all already knew that hxh came off hiatus and it will be really good until it goes back on hiatus.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wobles nen ability destroys every known copy of Dragon Quest

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Turns out Ikalgo was attached to the bottom of the ship and has finally made his way up to the top

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

Turns out Ikalgo was attached to the bottom of the ship and has finally made his way up to the top

8 chapters of squiderrific subplot, 1 chapter of no context turkeys, then hiatus. As it should be.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can't believe Kurapika and Leorio are Going To gently caress next chapter.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dias posted:

I can't believe Kurapika and Leorio are Going To gently caress next chapter.

Wow I didn't know you're still working through the Hunter Exam arc

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Eej posted:

Wow I didn't know you're still working through the Hunter Exam arc

they never gave us the release to that sexual tension

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://readms.net/r/hunter_x_hunter/382/5378/1

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Looking forward to seeing the better translation cause it took me a while to work out what was going on with the abilities. Cool stuff though.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
did not expect harkenburg to pull that poo poo and also didnt expect the loving banquet to start now

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

gangsta

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

drjuggalo posted:

did not expect harkenburg to pull that poo poo and also didnt expect the loving banquet to start now

I thought the hidden assassin plot (the Silent Majority user) would have to be solved before the banquet. I guess they will he didn't kill anymore in these 3 days, as people started to move in pairs and be suspicious of everyone.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Chapter read:

RIP Sale-Sale. He at least died as he lived, partying and in bed with hotties.

I'm going to guess his 'secret plan' was something simple like some hired assassins from outside the country, in the ship, hired to attack on the banquet day. He is dead but they won't know it and the plan will continue along.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

drjuggalo posted:

That shot of him walking towards Benjamin's guard all shaded was fuckin' chilling.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Do you know of the "trolley problem"

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Do you know of the "trolley problem"

Wait a second. This isn't a boat going towards the Dark Continent, we're in the Bad Place!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
That interaction between the king and Halkenberg was really good. Immense amount of character packed into just a few pages

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So did Halkenberg just awaken to Nen after his encounter with his father or did he have it beforehand and never really use it? Also, he ability seems pretty powerful, especially as he gets more people on his side without having to convert them.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

NEN GETS STRONGER AFTER DEATH SALE-SALE IS NOT OUT OF THIS YET :qq:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's very appropriate for the revolutionary vanguard to be able to sacrifice their own men to achieve their goals.

Also also how he immediately tried to shoot himself only for the beast to catch it was very JoJoesque.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Xelkelvos posted:

So did Halkenberg just awaken to Nen after his encounter with his father or did he have it beforehand and never really use it? Also, he ability seems pretty powerful, especially as he gets more people on his side without having to convert them.

I got the impression he awakened when he shot himself.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That's honestly a pretty terrifying Nen ability. Since I'm assuming the target also keeps their own ability, if they have one.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The banquet is going to be fuckin' incredible.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kyte posted:

That's what I assumed, but you can never be quite so sure, especially since he seemed to intuitively know how it worked. I'm curious as to the powers of his Nen Beast though since it seems to be at least somewhat straightforward in its monstrousness, but that might just be because of how it stopped the bullet.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Maybe the ceremony is another way of awakening nen. Attaching the Nen Beast, and the trauma of whatever would go on during the ceremony, presumably a lot of death, would awaken powerful nen abilities.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also, Halk is good at archery.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Finally, a good nen Bow at the least.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also it seems less that his subordinate was sacrificed and more that he possessed the other guy.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Hate-Senpai posted:

Also, Halk is good at archery.

Pokkle lives on!!! :boom:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

That's what I assumed, but you can never be quite so sure, especially since he seemed to intuitively know how it worked. I'm curious as to the powers of his Nen Beast though since it seems to be at least somewhat straightforward in its monstrousness, but that might just be because of how it stopped the bullet.

I think both are intertwined. I would say the resolve show when he shot himself awakened his nen. But the Neat Beast ability is to super-power up him if he is together the feather-marked people and everyone is joined in purpose. It was thanks to that he hyper evolved a hatsu-like effect in the spot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also it seems less that his subordinate was sacrificed and more that he possessed the other guy.

his body is just straight up gone. he is that bodyguard now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kyte posted:

so it's not a stand, it's a persona

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Nen abilities are practiced, though, and he knew exactly what his power was and how to use it. I think he was already a Nen user

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well the pot ceremony is breaking a lot of rules, and even people who know their nen are getting taken for a runaround.
Theres something fucky at play here.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 28, 2018

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

how sick would it be for Kurapika to get got by Halkenburg

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Nen abilities are practiced, though, and he knew exactly what his power was and how to use it. I think he was already a Nen user

He wasnt able to see his nen beast though, right? and Komugi and Neon both awakened their nen abilities in similarly weird ways and were able to use them instinctively

e: oh wait i forgot none of them can see their own nen beasts

halleys comet fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 28, 2018

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

how sick would it be for Kurapika to get got by Halkenburg
A man living for revenge versus a man living for his country/siblings/citizens is both extremely shounen and a perfect chance for Kurapika to take a big fat L.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

In this case both Pitou and Cheetu were able to create their abilities and know how they worked on the spot (Dr. Blythe and the Crossbow). It's something that can happen in moments of genius or desperation. Another thing is the wording of Halkenburg's nen beast, it's supposed to raise the nen potential of the marked people, which might include their own ability to create and utilize nen techniques not just a flat enhancement boost to aura output. I can imagine that his own guards will also start developing abilities in short time frames after this as well, similar to Moira and her nen-ability disease.

In general though, there are a lot of hints and examples of nen abilities that are useful to spontaneously smooth over the months/years it would take to learn nen and just hand out abilities. Obviously there are tradeoffs to taking shortcuts and it won't account for a more experienced individual just taking down a newbie who doesn't understand the full depth of nen combat. And I'm not against it as Togashi is keeping the powers interesting and consistent with the characters, but it's starting to feel a bit cheap.