Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Nice! posted:

Source your quotes.

Piell posted:

gently caress off with your rape apologism and victim blaming

These are the only two appropriate responses to that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

chessy prout was assaulted at a prep school a few years ago (she was 15 as well) and school parents and alumni raised six figures for her assaulter's defense.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
this comparison to McCarthyism is lit

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

celewign posted:

I've got a question: does anyone think it's a little fishy that this lady that was sexually assaulted in the 80s only comes out of the woodwork now that it's convenient for the Dems? I mean, if this guy assaulted her in the 80's why didn't she go to the police in the 80's?

I don't want to victim blame, and I get that a lot of sexual assault victims don't come forward because they are afraid, etc, but this thing seems way to convenient. Kavanaugh has been a major political player for a while now, but you didn't see this fuss start until Trump is president. It feels like a smear on a guy just because he's backed by Donald Trump.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Maybe don't pay attention to rear end in a top hat's talking points, you rear end in a top hat. Read the loving transcript.

Dr. Blasey Ford posted:

Over the years, I went through periods where I thought about the attack. I had confided in close friends I had an experience with sexual assault. Occasionally I stated my assailant was a prominent lawyer or judge but I did not use his name. I do not recall each person I spoke to about Brett's assault and some friends have reminded me of these conversations since the publication of The Washington Post story on September 16th, 2018. But until July 2018, I had never named Mr. Kavanaugh as my attacker outside of therapy. This changed in early July 2018. I saw press reports stating that Brett Kavanaugh was on the short list of a list of very well-qualified supreme court nominees. I thought it was my civic duty to relay the information I had about Mr. Kavanaugh's conduct so those considering his nomination would know about the assault.

On July 6th, I had a sense of urgency to relay the information to the senate and the president as soon as possible before a nominee was selected. I did not know how specifically to do this. I called my congressional representative and let her receptionist know that someone on the president's short list had attacked me. I also sent a message to the encrypted Washington Post confidential tip line. I did not use my name, but I provided the names of Brett Kavanaugh and Mark Judge. I stated that Mr. Kavanaugh had assaulted me in the 1980s in Maryland. This was an extremely hard thing for me to do, but I felt that I couldn't not do it. Over the next two days, I told a couple of close friends on the beach in California that Mr. Kavanaugh had sexually assaulted me. I was very conflicted as to whether to speak out.

On July 9th, I received a return phone call from the office of congresswoman Anna Eshoo after Mr. Kavanaugh had become the nominee. I met with her staff on July 18th and with her on July 20th describing the assault and discussing my fears about coming later we discussed the possibility of sending a letter to ranking member Feinstein who is one of my state senators describing what occurred. My understanding is that representative Eshoo's office delivered a copy of my letter to senator Feinstein's office on July 30th. The letter included my name, but also a request that it be kept confidential. My hope was that providing the information confidentially would be sufficient to allow the senate to consider Mr. Kavanaugh's serious misconduct without having to make myself, my family, or anyone's family vulnerable to the personal attacks and invasions of privacy that we have faced since my name became public.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
It always seems like there are more low-hanging-fruit trolls the day after a big surge in this thread.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Mikl posted:

Trump has nominated a terrible candidate just because Kavanaugh said "a sitting president cannot be indicted". The GOP is 100% regretting this nomination, but can't do poo poo except push forward with the confirmation because if they have to start over with another candidate they won't get it done before the midterms recess, and then there's a chance they could lose control of the senate and therefore no more lovely Trumpist judges for them.

Is there actually any law that says your Congress can't do things in the months between election and seating the newly elected people?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ornedan posted:

Is there actually any law that says your Congress can't do things in the months between election and seating the newly elected people?

Congress can do whatever they want in the lame duck session. There's nothing stopping them from conducting business as normal.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ornedan posted:

Nope!

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
That's what I thought. So I really don't get where all these "if republicans lose the election they can't confirm a different nominee" takes are coming from?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ornedan posted:

That's what I thought. So I really don't get where all these "if republicans lose the election they can't confirm a different nominee" takes are coming from?

They're either confirming Kav in the next couple of days or will push someone through that is less unpalatable but will still vote the same way. The former is most likely.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ornedan posted:

To do that in the lame duck session after losing the Senate would shatter a lot of cherished norms. So it would absolutely happen, but there are an awful lot of liberals here and elsewhere who believe wrongly that politics is or should be about both sides coming together, bringing out their ideas, and charting the best course for the country.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zoran posted:

but there are an awful lot of liberals here and elsewhere who believe wrongly that politics is or should be about both sides coming together, bringing out their ideas, and charting the best course for the country.
True. After Trump it should basically be the Conan speech about what is best in life.

Sadly, Gingrich saw it coming before the left did.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Zoran posted:

To do that in the lame duck session after losing the Senate would shatter a lot of cherished norms. So it would absolutely happen, but there are an awful lot of liberals here and elsewhere who believe wrongly that politics is or should be about both sides coming together, bringing out their ideas, and charting the best course for the country.

I hate the attitude or concept that the truth or best option is somewhere in the middle.

The enemy of democracy is apathy and moderate voters.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Committee voted aye, one week for FBI background check.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/heyitschili/status/1045718359713681408

double nine fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 28, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ilkhan posted:

Committee voted aye, one week for FBI background check.

Flake asked them to do a week more of investigating, but in reality he just voted yes and said that to pass the buck. No investigation has to happen or likely will happen as McConnell and Trump don't give a gently caress. He'll get a floor vote on monday or tuesday barring something earth shattering happening this weekend and will likely get voted yes along party lines.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mr. Nice! posted:

Flake asked them to do a week more of investigating, but in reality he just voted yes and said that to pass the buck. No investigation has to happen or likely will happen as McConnell and Trump don't give a gently caress. He'll get a floor vote on monday or tuesday barring something earth shattering happening this weekend and will likely get voted yes along party lines.

Flake said he'd vote no if there is no delay.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

torgeaux posted:

Flake said he'd vote no if there is no delay.

No he didnt, he said he wouldn't be comfortable voting without a delay but didnt say what would happen if his request was denied.

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 28, 2018

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Even if an investigation does happen, one week is barely enough time to even interview the known accusers, let alone actually "investigate" anything. Given that, it doesn't really matter whether McConnell waits till Friday or not. The only thing the delay changes is giving them time to see how the polls shake out.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Shattering a whole bunch of norms and procedures that rely on decorum that give a minority significant power a few weeks before becoming the minority party for the next half decade seems like a bad idea to me, but I'm not Mitch Mcconnell or his collection of skinwalkers in this thread.

I also doubt his ability to get all 51 senators to stay in DC over Christmas holiday right after totally boofing the Bart - which is why I think they're going all in on Kav despite the absurd disaster his nomination has become.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes Mitch clearly wants this done before they take the election recess

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
What will the decades of minority-rule by Republicans where election results won't matter anymore in the slightest due to the perma 5-4 SCOTUS court will bring be called? The American Apartheid?

Also laff at the idea of it being called anything as Texas Republicans write the history textbooks.

EDIT it being called anything NEGATIVE that is

jeeves fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 28, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jeeves posted:

What will the decades of minority-rule by Republicans where election results won't matter anymore in the slightest due to the perma 5-4 SCOTUS court will bring be called? The American Apartheid?

Also laff at the idea of it being called anything as Texas Republicans write the history textbooks.

The time America was Great

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

haveblue posted:

The time America was Great

Time to Make America Great Again, AGAIN!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Tibalt posted:

Shattering a whole bunch of norms and procedures that rely on decorum that give a minority significant power a few weeks before becoming the minority party for the next half decade seems like a bad idea to me, but I'm not Mitch Mcconnell or his collection of skinwalkers in this thread.

I also doubt his ability to get all 51 senators to stay in DC over Christmas holiday right after totally boofing the Bart - which is why I think they're going all in on Kav despite the absurd disaster his nomination has become.

It's worth it to continue being the majority party on the Supreme Court for the next twenty years.

McConnell obviously doesn’t want to install someone in the lame duck. I think it's probably true that the GOP hasn’t just nominated a woman for this position because deep down they think they can’t trust any woman to overturn Roe. But if push comes to shove, and they’re facing the prospect of surrendering the SCOTUS majority they’ve worked so hard to save, they’d look at that calculation and they’d absolutely get it done.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If the GOP somehow can't get Kavanaugh confirmed before the election and they manage to lose the Senate (unlikely but we can hope), McConnell will ram through Kavanaugh or someone else by any means necessary. There is no loving way they will let Democrats return the favor for them loving Obama and Merrick Garland over when 2020 is going to be a bloodbath for them as well if they (or Russia) don't blatantly rig the election. They'd have absolutely nothing to lose by doing a lame duck confirmation. The midterms will already be over and 2016 made it abundantly clear that even the biggest outrages pass for tens of millions of Americans in days, maybe weeks. They'd have 2 years for people to forget, and far too many would.

FlamingLiberal posted:

If he gets on it will have major consequences. It makes it very likely Dems can push forward Court packing.

Dems have to get a majority that want to pack the court in the first place and :lol: if you think there aren't a lot of center right Dems who'd happily keep the court as-is even if Dems take back every branch. Noted human garbage Chuck Schumer would have to be dragged to the left kicking and screaming.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 29, 2018

Professor Skittles
Jul 10, 2008
can someone link me to that tweet that shows kavanaugh in an overly innocent light it was like "me and my friends satiated ourselves with some water coolers, then proceeded with sexual rhtoric of which i reprimanded them immediately"or something.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dems have to get a majority that want to pack the court in the first place and :lol: if you think there aren't a lot of center right Dems who'd happily keep the court as-is even if Dems take back every branch. Noted human garbage Chuck Schumer would have to be dragged to the left kicking and screaming.

Ultimately, this is either going to be a turning point for the Democratic Party or the end of the Democratic Party. The conservative majority we're looking at now would ban abortion, declare the Civil Rights Act unconstitutional, and bring business regulations and labor law back to the Lochner era.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

The conservative majority we're looking at now would ban abortion, declare the Civil Rights Act unconstitutional, and bring business regulations and labor law back to the Lochner era.

Correction: they’d declare all the enforcement mechanisms of the Civil Rights Act unconstitutional, and then Politifact would call the claim that they’d overturned the Civil Rights Act to be the Lie of the Year.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

Ultimately, this is either going to be a turning point for the Democratic Party or the end of the Democratic Party. The conservative majority we're looking at now would ban abortion, declare the Civil Rights Act unconstitutional, and bring business regulations and labor law back to the Lochner era.

And they’re not even pretending otherwise anymore.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...final-vote.html

The comments on this article are gold. We've got about a 3-3-3 split between conservatives claiming Trump is playing interdimensional chess, others claiming Trump has been compromised by Democrats, and the usual sprinkling of victim-blamers and deniers.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah we're pretty hosed because the Democrats in Congress are largely useless, or they honestly don't give a poo poo because at the end of the day they're wealthy old white people.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
The best part of this innocent man getting the nomination is the incredible truck loads of salt that will pour out of this neck beard virtue signaling echo chamber.

lols for decades

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Ornedan posted:

If they give up on Kavanaugh, they can try to cram another nominee through extremely quickly, but there's not a huge amount of time to do so before January, and it limits how much other poo poo they can cram through in the meantime. Doesn't mean they won't try, but

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

FronzelNeekburm posted:

If they give up on Kavanaugh, they can try to cram another nominee through extremely quickly, but there's not a huge amount of time to do so before January, and it limits how much other poo poo they can cram through in the meantime. Doesn't mean they won't try, but

Not pictured: Garland

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 1, 2018

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The amount of time it takes to confirm a SCOTUS nominee is a norm, and like the filibuster on lower court appointments it can be jettisoned any time the majority party likes. It may not be the best move politically, but if the current Senate has to confirm a nominee in 2 days in the lame duck they will totally do it without thinking twice. The news cycle moves even faster than normal in the Trump era, and the lame duck is literally the furthest you can get from being held accountable for your actions by the electorate. If Kavanaugh falls through they will most likely fast track Amy Coney Barrett in order to prevent (in their minds) the possibility of being accused of sexual assault or rape or sexism.

Unless the GOP suddenly grows a conscience concerning sexual assault, norms, and senate process we will absolutely have a right wing Federalist Society hand-picked judge replacing Kennedy. That part is just not really up for debate in a meaningful way.

The points to be scored here are on making the GOP own their mistake of standing by their man to generate turnout for the midterm and in 2020.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 29, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ShadowHawk posted:

Not pictured: Garland

The last time wapo did a similar graph, Garland’s line was just the word “Ignored”. That’s going to be in a history textbook someday, if the Lord Humungus permits textbooks.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I look forward to the forthcoming supreme Court opinions ranting about the Libs and Clinton-funded conspiracies. You guys make me feel better about my own lovely government. (But then also worse because our idiots take their cues from your idiots, just a couple of years later.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Professor Skittles posted:

can someone link me to that tweet that shows kavanaugh in an overly innocent light it was like "me and my friends satiated ourselves with some water coolers, then proceeded with sexual rhtoric of which i reprimanded them immediately"or something.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/09/brett-kavanaugh-1982-diary-supreme-court-yearbook-satire.html

Here's one entry:

quote:

June 13th

Had lunch with my 65 close, female friends. We discussed the school year’s end, love, life, and volume two of Simone de Beauvoir’s The Second Sex. Told Moira that she doesn’t “owe” it to Jeff to go to second base — and if he keeps pressing the issue, she should look for a new suitor who respects her boundaries. Assured Stephanie that she was gorgeous, inside and out, and that Hollywood’s conception of feminine beauty was oppressively narrow. Encouraged Cassandra to ignore her father’s gender-normative hang-ups and try out for her public school’s wrestling team in the fall (glass ceilings are made to be broken!). Mostly though, I just listened.

On the way home back home, I stopped in at the hospital to donate some bone marrow.