Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Tokelau All Star posted:

Did you get your name from Hitchhiker's?

I did not, but having googled the quote I now think I may need to Kavanaugh up my own hearing to deny these baseless allegations with tears in my eyes.

The actual reason is that it's a completely random sentence that feels really weird when you say it (like imagine Gandalf (Ian McKellen) saying it) and also it was a great pun in my avatar text that I lost when I changed it up. Something to do with bassholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Pussy, pussy, pussy,” he said, “ coochicoochicoochicoo... pussy want his fish? Nice piece of fish...pussy want it?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Tokelau All Star posted:

Pussy, pussy, pussy,” he said, “ coochicoochicoochicoo... pussy want his fish? Nice piece of fish...pussy want it?

I am innocent! :qq:

Fake edit: This is not the best line of defence is it.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Imagine having all your judges directly appointed by Putin

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Alexeythegreat posted:

Imagine having all your judges directly appointed by Putin

uhhhh...is it really "imagining" to just read the news

e. A while ago I read somewhere (either on here or twitter) an article discussing the fact that conservative lawyers and law students have an easier road to judicial clerkships and political appointments because there are fewer of them with good academic credentials than their liberal counterparts. Basically, if you are a right winger with good grades, you are statistically more likely to get a clerkship than a liberal with the same grades, because the GOP has done so well at getting conservative judges appointed but most law students and lawyers are liberal.

Can anyone remember or point me to that link or article?

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 28, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

uhhhh...is it really "imagining" to just read the news

e. A while ago I read somewhere (either on here or twitter) an article discussing the fact that conservative lawyers and law students have an easier road to judicial clerkships and political appointments because there are fewer of them with good academic credentials than their liberal counterparts. Basically, if you are a right winger with good grades, you are statistically more likely to get a clerkship than a liberal with the same grades, because the GOP has done so well at getting conservative judges appointed but most law students and lawyers are liberal.

Law students should straight up lie about their political leanings and Trojan Horse the Federalist Society.

That goes for conservative law students too. Lie about your politics and invade liberal student groups if it will advance your career. gently caress it.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 28, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Look Sir Droids posted:

Law students should straight up lie about their political leanings and Trojan Horse the Federalist Society.

They do.

https://www.thenation.com/article/movin-federalist-society/

quote:

Unlike twenty years ago, when liberal federal judges provided the most desirable clerkships for law school graduates, today the best "feeders" to the Supreme Court and White House are Reagan and Bush appointees. Judge Kozinski, who screens potential clerks for Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, says that seeing the Federalist Society on a résumé "tells me you're of a particular philosophy, and I tend to give an edge to people I agree with philosophically." The notion hasn't been lost on law students, some of whom keep two résumés, one with the Federalist Society tacked on. "I have seen some students go to the Federalist Society as a career builder," says Cass Sunstein, a professor at the University of Chicago Law School.

(nice hindsight on that article breathlessly kissing Kozinski's rear end)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Found another one:

quote:

I do about 6 hours of actual work a week.

The rest is bullshitting with coworkers. A lot of times I leave the office early to spend the afternoon with my kids and get things ready for my wife.

I don’t feel bad because I’m paid well but not extravagantly. I also worked a previous job where I put in 60+ hours a week and almost lost my marriage over it. I feel like this is that cushy “pre retirement” job people sometimes get. The difference is im only 40 years old.

This one is clearly Hot Dog, fudging the age to throw off the trail.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hahahahahahaha, so this is coming up.

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/gamble-v-united-states/

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Look Sir Droids posted:

Lying to advance your interests is the fundamental requirement of being an attorney. Inability to do so should be rooted out early as a lack of fitness for the profession.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Brett have you borked yet?

Also, when they talk about it do these guys think we’ve forgotten how objectively terrible Bork’s views were?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

yronic heroism posted:

Brett have you borked yet?

Also, when they talk about it do these guys think we’ve forgotten how objectively terrible Bork’s views were?

Bork also got a full senate vote and rejected. Garland didn't even get that much.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FLAKED

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Profiles in abject political cowardice

Rapist nominated by a rapist pushed towards confirmation by "How dare you sir" golem is as strong an indictment as you can get of the hollowness of their aesthetic objections to Donald Trump.

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 28, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I remember it, but I couldn't find it yesterday when I went looking for it or again just now.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

truly the hero 2018 deserves

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Found another one:

This one is clearly Hot Dog, fudging the age to throw off the trail.

I honestly thought it was me at first. But I only have one kid until March, and I'd never work 60h weeks to make it up.

I'm gonna ask a furry I know if they know starblitz.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

No surprise there, but this week I did learn that Sen. Mike Lee has a Niles voice and a Frasier face. It’s... disconcerting.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 29, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm gonna ask a furry I know if they know starblitz.

let us know what you find out when your monitor's back on, HotDawg Dei

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
Sov-cit pro-tip: don't use the wrong font when trying to forge the court's electronic filing stamp. Also, include a time with the date.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Unamuno posted:

Sov-cit pro-tip: don't use the wrong font when trying to forge the court's electronic filing stamp. Also, include a time with the date.

That's uhhh... that's forgery, right? Intent to profit, fraudulent alteration? Sovcit is super boned.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Sovcit is super boned.

Look at this drone, clearly you aren't aware that his [[[CORPORATE PERSON]]] cannot be boned without law--ful consent**

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Now I want to see “I do not consent to joinder” in comic sans.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

That's uhhh... that's forgery, right? Intent to profit, fraudulent alteration? Sovcit is super boned.

Pro ses and especially sov cits usually bully the hell out of judges (at least in state court) with no repercussions, something that minor is probably gonna mean zilch

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

mastershakeman posted:

Pro ses and especially sov cits usually bully the hell out of judges (at least in state court) with no repercussions,.

At least up until they forge the prosecutor's signature on a motion to dismiss with prejudice in the sov cit's favor. My friend was very glad she had a habit of signing court documents only in a very specific and very atypical ink color, and that the sov cit didn't notice that particular detail.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Soylent Pudding posted:

At least up until they forge the prosecutor's signature on a motion to dismiss with prejudice in the sov cit's favor. My friend was very glad she had a habit of signing court documents only in a very specific and very atypical ink color, and that the sov cit didn't notice that particular detail.

What happened to them when they did that?

I've seen one doctor orders for possession and then try to get the police to evict the rightful homeowner, nothing really happened with that one even after she tripped the opposing attorney in court

I also saw one claim to be the state's attorney, sheriff and county clerk; when the attorneys for said offices came to court he asked for them to be disqualified since he was their boss. The judge just set a briefing schedule on that issue and moved on

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

iirc it led straight to felony charges, plus huge monetary sanctions in the related regulatory action against them.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Hell yeah I got a crazy client in my criminal defense clinic who wants to put the system on trial!!!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Tonight, I write a post on Forums dot Something Awful dot Com instead of replying to a very offensive email sent by a very inexperienced and young public defender.

Man them's some fightin' words she sent me. Whew.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BigHead posted:

Tonight, I write a post on Forums dot Something Awful dot Com instead of replying to a very offensive email sent by a very inexperienced and young public defender.

Post some choice, excerpted words.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Which is to say, post the email.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

Post the emails motherfucker.

edit: Make sure you tell her how jewish you are.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
You gonna fight her or are you just gonna bitch out?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Post the emails motherfucker.

Yeah I'm gonna need to see the emails. It's what we do here.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Hell yeah I got a crazy client in my criminal defense clinic who wants to put the system on trial!!!

"You're out of order! You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order! They're out of order!"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
How much does malpractice insurance cost the solos out there? I’m not hanging my shingle (no money for overhead), but I’m trying to volunteer at more clinics to see if I can get some work eventually.

I just don’t know how much I can do for people with no research access or insurance to cover my rear end.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

BigHead posted:

I specifically want to see AR’s perspective, given some of the poo poo she’s talked about getting from opposing counsel.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Post the email(s).

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkk

gently caress loving fuckity gently caress gently caress gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkk

gently caress loving fuckity gently caress gently caress gently caress

Context, or just the existential misery of practising law?