Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
someone told me she'd "played" fallout 3 but it turned out she'd used fasttravel. needless to say, that was the end of the evening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Plenty of games use fast travel hubs, it's not unusual at all. Fast travel is totally fine. If travelling/game world is boring enough that you're compelled to skip it, then that's on the devs not the players. If the world isn't sterile and empty then people are more likely to want to go wander in it.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Fast travel is fine, you can choose to not use it if you enjoy walking.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lol but seriously I posted:

someone told me she'd "played" fallout 3 but it turned out she'd used fasttravel. needless to say, that was the end of the evening

Yeah, I would also give up on somebody that admitted to playing Fallout 3.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The endless joy of trudging through areas where you have already seen all the content. Also when I watch a new episode of a TV show, I first watch all the old episodes, otherwise I would feel like a dirty casual.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

It feels like its an unpopular opinion at this point to say you like bethesda games. the backlash has just been growing and growing for years.

I'll defend them, but i recognize they are teaspoon shallow and dont ever have great combat or RPG mechanics, the things they do that no one else even comes close to as far as allowing you to build your own character and RP your own adventures are great though. Plus the community mod support is wonderful.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Wait a minute. There’s a 3D Bionic Commando game?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Robokomodo posted:

Ha
Ha
Ha

Yes there is.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The only reason why Witcher series is popular among gamers is because witchers are fantasy autistics.

Witchers at young age get forcefully exposed to dangerous chemicals which strips them of emotions, makes them social outcasts and gives them superpowers, except instead of getting the superpower of being able to recite all the episodes of Rick & Morty or making really good model trains it's the superpower of being able to fight good and cast magic. It all adds up.
That makes Geralt a perfect relatable gamer(tm) hero.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jack Trades posted:

The only reason why Witcher series is popular among gamers is because witchers are fantasy autistics.

Witchers at young age get forcefully exposed to dangerous chemicals which strips them of emotions, makes them social outcasts and gives them superpowers, except instead of getting the superpower of being able to recite all the episodes of Rick & Morty or making really good model trains it's the superpower of being able to fight good and cast magic. It all adds up.
That makes Geralt a perfect relatable gamer(tm) hero.

This tracks pretty well actually, considering that he used a genie’s wish to get a girlfriend.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I love reading people trying to understand the appeal of the witcher 3 when they dont like it like its utterly impossible its a good rpg with a good story because they were too loving lame to appreciate it lol

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

basic hitler posted:

I love reading people trying to understand the appeal of the witcher 3 when they dont like it like its utterly impossible its a good rpg with a good story because they were too loving lame to appreciate it lol

I don't understand the appeal of the witcher 3 because I thought the gameplay was bad and the witcher is a lame character

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

I like it every time I play it but I get bored of it really fast, I play it like once every 6 months.

I can understand not liking parts of the game but it's hard to deny that it's a very high-quality, polished game.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

I don't understand the appeal of the witcher 3 because I thought the gameplay was bad and the witcher is a lame character

I bet you think dark souls or MH has good gameplay

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

basic hitler posted:

What

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Verisimilidude posted:

Well, you suck.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Verisimilidude posted:

Mods???

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Verisimilidude posted:

I agree. Although I don't have the patience for games with tons of dialogue anymore. Mass Effect/Modern Fallout games are about as much rpg as I can stand.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

plape tickler posted:

I agree. Although I don't have the patience for games with tons of dialogue anymore. Mass Effect/Modern Fallout games are about as much rpg as I can stand.

I quit playing Persona 5 because I went through like an hour and a half stretch of nothing but dialogue. I seriously played it 3 nights in a row and didn't get into a single battle.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

basic hitler posted:

much better gameplay than any of the witchers by a long shot

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Verisimilidude posted:

much better gameplay than any of the witchers by a long shot

it took the Witcher series to the final entry to make the combat merely serviceable. Dark Souls, Nioh, and a lot of games are easily better in that respect

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Graphic posted:

it took the Witcher series to the final entry to make the combat merely serviceable. Dark Souls, Nioh, and a lot of games are easily better in that respect

It took Dark Souls until Bloodborne

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
DS1 combat is superior to Witcher 3's

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Combat in W3 is good without being overbearing and tedious like in Dark Souls or Nioh.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
Nioh combat isn't overbearing. If you're not a mongoloid you'll get it by the end of the first region.

And it's anything but tedious with the variety of special moves and movesets unique to each weapon.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Graphic posted:

Nioh combat isn't overbearing. If you're not a mongoloid you'll get it by the end of the first region.

And it's anything but tedious with the variety of special moves and movesets unique to each weapon.

:rolleyes:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Robokomodo posted:

Yeah, it's loving cool, too, and still has the best swinging mechanics in any videogame. It sold like poo poo tho, and the studio (Grin) that made it was shuttered shortly thereafter.

At the time Japanese devs couldn't do poo poo with gen 7 console hardware and so they were experimenting with licensing japanese properties to western devs. Eidos also almost made a Final Fantasy game for Square but it was cancelled and buried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl6mG3U4vaY

basic hitler posted:

Yes? :jerkbag:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I definitely remember having fun with the bionic commando game but also remember it was way too short.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

a bone to pick posted:

I definitely remember having fun with the bionic commando game but also remember it was way too short.

I played on hard and just died a lot so I never noticed the length. That being said it also was super over the top, with great level design and music. One of my favorite games of that gen.

Too bad it wasn't better optimized to reduce loading times, but hey, the loving PS3 amirite?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dark Souls, famous innovator of "roll constantly" gameplay

Dark souls, hack ptooie

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Dark Souls - Constant circle strafing like it's Serious Sam except there are no guns or explosions.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Dark Souls, famous innovator of "roll constantly" gameplay

Dark souls, hack ptooie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW-AZdSNxGk&t=5484s

I mean, say what you will but it's a remarkable refinement of certain basic control principles. Having shoulder buttons represent arms in a hack and slash rpgs or games in general seems like a no-brainer, but before Demon's Souls came along devs weren't really doing it, among myriad other industry standard innovations that DeS and DS1 brought along. I'm not the biggest fan of Resident Evil 4 but it did a similar thing with over-the-shoulder camera/aim controls. These types of subtle advancements ripple out through the industry. They should be and are recognized as significant.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Combat in W3 is good

An unpopular opinion

W3 combat is 5% of the Arkham Asylum combat done very badly

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Dark Souls, having the knight starting option which most people will probably take being horribly sluggish and unfun.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

QuarkJets posted:

An unpopular opinion

Wrong.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dark souls combat is huge loving trash. The game is okay but w3 is way way waaay better sorry goonz

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lol. retard.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

QuarkJets posted:

An unpopular opinion

What?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You're right, it's more like 1%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You can tell that the sword combat is supposed to mimic AA's melee combat but they just included the most basic elements of that system without including any of the bits that made it fun and interesting, and then they added some flourishes that make Geralt's moveset nondeterministic and weird.

Go play the games next to each other and see how eerily similar but lacking the W3 combat is. It's not a secret that the gameplay is not that game's strength, and that's okay

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 29, 2018