Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

LingcodKilla posted:

I take it you no longer work at a gas station?

Yeah, now i make boats at a factory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gently caress yeah!

titties
May 10, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress yeah!

It sucks because i work with the hulls after they come out of the mold, cutting and grinding fiberglass all day and it is itchy and it gets all over the inside of my car.

It's also funny that i build boats but i still don't know how to fix my own boat because all i do is cut holes in fiberglass hulls

If any of you have a 2018 or 2019 model year wellcraft, glasstron, four winns, or scarab boat then there's a decent change that i drew a dick on the inner hull of your boat with a grinder

titties fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 15, 2018

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Lol. Nice.

Here's some of the shark teeth we found

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

titties posted:

If any of you have a 2018 or 2019 model year wellcraft, glasstron, four winns, or scarab boat then there's a decent change that i drew a dick on the inner hull of your boat with a grinder

Lol

That’s a sweet gig brotha, learn the trade and open a shop.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Alright I've been doing more fishing video watching than actual fishing over the past few days and I have a question: why do guys seem to just horse the fish in when they catch them top water, but play them when they're fishing finesse? Is it because the topwater rig is more likely to have heavier line and a faster retrieving reel so you may as well just bring the fish in?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Ordering up a 39 Daiwa KeiryuX. Will report on drop shorting nymphs and gunning for grayling as soon as I get out there with it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Caught an okay bass on my new baitcaster! Backlashed quite a bit but never too bad. Also fishing from a canoe hurts my back but it was fun to get out on the water with a friend. Two of us fished for maybe two and a half hours and caught one fish. Also it's starting to get dark earlier and that sucks. Anyway we're gonna go again ASAP.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Man, maybe you guys can help me, but I keep getting just about smoked on my favorite spot.

Note, it's not my favorite because I catch tons of fish, it's my favorite because I love hanging out there, it's beautiful, accessible but far enough off the beaten path that no one really goes there, the dog can run around without bothering anyone, and it's just lovely.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...7!4d-81.4848785

This is my spot. It's a tidal brackish creek called the Pumpkin Hill Creek. Tons of bird life, very clean water system, tons of fiddler crabs, snails, and oyster beds (my dog loooves catching and eating the fids in the mud flats), just a beaut of a spot. Problem is, I can not catch poo poo there. It's a little confusing for me, since it's often a running tide (TONS of surface activity from the fish at the bottom of a descending tide), so I have tried topwater poppers, popping corks, crawdad artificials, divers, spoons, little bit of everything. Only thing that can get me a fish is bait fishing, which I do not find to be fun from the bank with all the snags. And all I've caught is tiny grunt and a stingray. I want some eating size fish. I can see from the current and wave action that there's a thin hole within casting distance, but every time I cast in it, nothing. I get the most action casting south, into what I suspect is a flat leading into the

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtIqO3_beT0 goes into the area in depth (as well as a shot of my other favorite spot, Betz Tiger, which is also lovely but the dog enjoys it much less).

I still enjoy myself, it's absolutely lovely and I have the place basically to myself. I'm stuck on the bank, and there's not a lot of room to maneuver. I do need to try fishing off the kayak launch, but I don't want to be in the way of anyone in a boat.

Tomorrow i'll be out there fishing the descending tide for a bit, 10-12 am ish, I got stuff to do. Probably just gonna toss big silver white artificial minnows, unless anyone has any better ideas.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
From what you described, if it's loaded with crustaceans and crabs maybe try some clam strips to match the snails in color? Or throw a fiddler out there. Where I'm at there's no better bait for sheepshead. Match the hatch so to speak.

E. Just saw the bait fishing part because I'm a bad reader. Try a bucktail with a small piece of bait on the hook? Smash up a snail.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

King of Bees posted:

From what you described, if it's loaded with crustaceans and crabs maybe try some clam strips to match the snails in color? Or throw a fiddler out there. Where I'm at there's no better bait for sheepshead. Match the hatch so to speak.

E. Just saw the bait fishing part because I'm a bad reader. Try a bucktail with a small piece of bait on the hook? Smash up a snail.

Welp, fixed my own problem, 1/4 oz jig head bucktail with a white artificial netted me a nice sea trout and redfish. Gotta go buy more of those

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 20, 2018

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Suspect Bucket posted:

Welp, fixed my own problem, 1/4 oz jig head bucktail with a white artificial netted me a nice sea trout and redfish. Gotta go buy more of those

Noice.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I have good luck with spinners and a power bait mullet on the reds. Flounder love them too.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect Bucket posted:

drat nice bag there!

A 1/8 Oz jig with a white DOA CAL shad has caught me more inshore fish than everything else combined. If I’m only fishing 1-3 hours I usually won’t even bother to change lures. If they won’t hit that they aren’t biting or more likely they aren’t there.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

tesilential posted:

drat nice bag there!

A 1/8 Oz jig with a white DOA CAL shad has caught me more inshore fish than everything else combined. If I’m only fishing 1-3 hours I usually won’t even bother to change lures. If they won’t hit that they aren’t biting or more likely they aren’t there.

I started with a 1/8 oz, but the wind was blowing and the tide running a bit too hard to be effective with it.

I also tried a 3/4 oz I had but that was just a scootch too heavy on the retreival.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Do you bounce them off the bottom or steady retrieve? Either/both/whatever works that day?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Know what's interesting about this dink? Where I caught him: in a retention pond behind a Dairy Queen and a Zaxby's and surrounded by strip mall poo poo.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Do you bounce them off the bottom or steady retrieve? Either/both/whatever works that day?

I cant really bounce off the bottom because of all the oyster beds in the area. I hate loosing lures, and triple hate leaving monofilament in the water. I do a sweeping retrival, mostly a steady speed on the reel but let the rod impart a lot of action to it.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I got a fly fishing pole for my birthday a few weeks ago, either because my girlfriend loves me or because she never wants to see me again. I went to the local fly fishing store and asked them to help me build a basic tackle box with flies that do well here in the area and Jesus loving Christ, this is a rich man's game.

Anyway after I opened up my veins and let them have all my blood the guy took me out and taught me how to cast, and today I finally made it out to the river and started snapping off flies into it. This is a lot of fun! Got the hang of casting after about an hour or so and spent the next four hours thinking I almost knew what I was doing. Don't know if I prefer it to conventional fishing but I definitely get the appeal.

Do any of you guys know anything about fly fishing? I have a solid enough rudimentary understanding of nymphs vs flies that float on the surface and flies that are designed to mimic vs flies that are designed to attract, and the guy taught me how to tie a couple rigs, but after trying to pick out what to throw today I come to realize that I don't know a goddamned thing. Are there any like, go-to flies that I can rely on in a variety of water conditions?

I know that if I'm throwing a conventional rod I can throw on a greenish Texas rigged worm or like a rattle trap and I stand a reasonable chance of catching a bass just about anywhere. I'm just wondering if there is a fly equivalent of that that I can buy a fistful of and maybe accidentally catch something while I'm learning more about casting and more finesse presentations

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Go to fly for catching drat near anything is a wooly bugger in a variety of sizes and colors. Can be fished dry or wet and unless you're targeting glass smooth limestone creeks with trout that heard you coming 300 yards ago it's a perfectly good trout fly. Source: I was a fly fishing guide in VA, MD, PA for a few years.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Went to the beach again yesterday.

That speck is my son fishing the edge of a big sandbar. I was fishing a rip that was cutting through the bar. The mullet are running right now so we cast netted a few, but ended up just going with fresh dead shrimp and artificial clam strips (orange)

Here's the haul. Whiting and one keeper pompano.

We caught a lot more smaller fish and some little sharks. Highlight of the day was this Jack Crevaille. He came through the trough and hit the rod like a freight train. Thankfully I had the drag set light. Took a pic and put him back.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

King of Bees posted:

Went to the beach again yesterday.

That speck is my son fishing the edge of a big sandbar. I was fishing a rip that was cutting through the bar. The mullet are running right now so we cast netted a few, but ended up just going with fresh dead shrimp and artificial clam strips (orange)

Here's the haul. Whiting and one keeper pompano.

We caught a lot more smaller fish and some little sharks. Highlight of the day was this Jack Crevaille. He came through the trough and hit the rod like a freight train. Thankfully I had the drag set light. Took a pic and put him back.

Your whiting must be related to west coast croaker/kingfish. We view them as trash fish out here and they are very wormy. Nice to see they have a better reputation on the east coast because they are nothing if not plentiful in CA.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LingcodKilla posted:

Your whiting must be related to west coast croaker/kingfish. We view them as trash fish out here and they are very wormy. Nice to see they have a better reputation on the east coast because they are nothing if not plentiful in CA.

Yeah, they're an excellent table fish. Mild, firm white meat. Perfect for tacos. It was a nice surprise coming from SoCal and the gross croakers. In fact my biggest annoyance fishing in SD was the need for a boat (or kayak) to get at anything worth eating like halibut, yellowtail and rockfish.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Snapped the tip off my new casting rod today trying to unsnag my lure. It was only a cheap Berkley rod but still, gently caress. It's a 7 footer and I'm not sure if I really liked how big it was, is there much difference between fishing a 6'6" and a 7' rod?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

About 6 inches or 10%.

:dadjoke:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
great thanks

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It’s a personal choice when dealing with inches like that. Storage is a concern if you get a one piece ( I prefer the strength of one pieces). Longer poles help leverage for casting distance.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
^^^

prom candy posted:

great thanks

this but unironically

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

prom candy posted:

Snapped the tip off my new casting rod today trying to unsnag my lure. It was only a cheap Berkley rod but still, gently caress. It's a 7 footer and I'm not sure if I really liked how big it was, is there much difference between fishing a 6'6" and a 7' rod?

Put a new tip on it and it’s now a stiffer 6’6” rod (they are normally stiffer than 7’s anyway). Only drawback is if it was a super fast rod it may feel dead stiff now without the tip. Use it for slightly heavier baits now.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I didn't even know you could replace rod tips

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

prom candy posted:

Wow. Well you could always do the squalor holler repair and just clip it down to the next eye.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

prom candy posted:

Write to the company about it; see if they can do anything for you. This happened to me once; the nice customer service lady asked me for a picture, I sent them a $10 check to cover shipping costs, and a new rod segment showed up in the mail about two weeks later.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

prom candy posted:

I meant put a new tip guide on it.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I couldn't help myself and bought a Daiwa Keiryu-X 39.

Time to see what this poo poo is all about. :w00t:

titties
May 10, 2012

Salmon fishing in the morning, floating skein and hoping for the best. Wish me dry waders, friends!

(They are leaking and I'm trying to patch them with gorilla glue and electrical tape)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

titties posted:

Salmon fishing in the morning, floating skein and hoping for the best. Wish me dry waders, friends!

(They are leaking and I'm trying to patch them with gorilla glue and electrical tape)

Have you tried JB weld Superweld

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Fished the grand river today and nailed a ton of smallmouth. Got two right off the bat on my whopper plopper, including one I didn't realize I had because I was too busy trying to fix the backlash on my baitcaster, and then they just kept hitting the ned rig over and over. Really glad I bought a second rod and reel, it's nice to be able to have two rigs on the go. I also bought a couple of plano 3600 boxes and emptied my tackle box into them so that I could chuck everything in a backpack for bank fishing, super happy with that set up so far.

Here's the best one I caught today:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I haven’t caught a single drat fish out of the grand this year. Not even a rock bass or anything. I’ve caught in the nith, conestogo, a bunch of little ponds around KW and did some fishing in the headwaters of the maitland, but nothing from the grand :(

Maybe it’s just KW not producing fish this year. drat shame too cause going wading in the grand is my happy place but not catching fish or sometimes even feeling a dink of any kind is very frustrating.

Nice fish tho, where was that?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
This was in Paris, right at the dam. Seemed like a popular spot and lots of people were pulling smallies out. We saw a couple trout trying to jump up the dam as well but didn't catch any (my cousin even tried a roe bag but I caught like 5 smallies while he was fishing that so he switched it up pretty quickly.) We hit the grand earlier this year at York and Cayuga and got skunked and we also did some fishing at Glen Morris today and caught nothing but weeds. If/when I get a kayak I'll be on the grand a lot more, it's beautiful just about everywhere.

This is where we were, there were more people on the other side and it looked like they were catching too.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Messing around in my new kayak and caught a nice eating size sand dab.