Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

Yeah one might assume "Mission Mode" is something to tackle once you get pretty good at the game. But it's actually the very first thing a new player should do. The UI and translation in general has always been the biggest stumbling block to fledgling Fire Pro players, I'd imagine.

At least Fire Pro 2 on the GBA called it "Training", not sure what happened between then and now with Spike's translation team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Has Spike ever released a FirePro without a using a third party intermediary in English before?

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I think Fire Pro's 'translation' team is just a guy on the dev team that speaks a little English. I don't think Spike would divert any translation resources from any of their real games for the sake of Fire Pro.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
The translation team is literally one guy and that's across all of spike's games they're churning out

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

KungFu Grip posted:

The translation team is literally one guy and that's across all of spike's games they're churning out

Man it's kind of miraculous the game's English makes any sense at all.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Maxwell Lord posted:

How old is this guy again?

Few glitches on the PC version so far, though I can't tell if that's the remnants of the mod suite- nothing too dramatic though. It crashed once while I was fixing everyone's music (they all got reset), then later during a match it just semi-froze- the crowd animation was still going but the wrestlers and ref were frozen in place and I had to quit out of it. There may be a few last minute tweaks given how big a change this was.

The freeze thing happened to me once, but it was when an edit with an empty move slot from the removal of the mod did a run in, so I assumed that was it

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Fortunately I don't think I ever went as far as using modded moves. Hell I have trouble choosing between all the ones that exist as is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, bought FPWW for the PS4 now it's out here in the UK, and it's kind of like my experience of Dark Souls, where the first couple of tries left a sour taste, but the third time was the charm because things kind of clicked.

Just got a 100% playing as Juice against Goto (I lost, probably because the one time I hit the Left Hand of God into the Pulp Friction sequence, it was by the ropes so Red Shoes broke the pin) and the crowd noise just adds to the atmosphere immensely.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Genericide posted:

Thank you, love you. "Mission Mode", all seems so obvious now.

the firepro experience in a nutshell:
-ah gently caress this is terrible
*reads a guide, does the tutorial*
-....I now know kung fu

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The first time I hit my CAW's finisher on someone, on purpose, in fire pro, i definitely felt "a sense of pride and accomplishment" as EA would say.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

coconono posted:

the firepro experience in a nutshell:
-ah gently caress this is terrible
*reads a guide, does the tutorial*
-....I now know kung fu

At first I thought it was dumb that I needed random Steam forum posts to help me figure out how to kick out of a pin. Now I realise that the ballache is half the charm.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Good News: I got an older, modded version of Fire Pro to work independent of Steam while also having a new version working.
Bad News: My save has characters with modded moves and attire parts so now the new version won't acknowledge my keyboard and mouse and I have no idea what to do other than nuke my whole save and start over.

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

How's the NJPW chars? Do they behave and look like the real NJPW chars?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

They all look like a very small cartoon man, with true minds in their body. I rate the experience ****1/2

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Octal posted:

How's the NJPW chars? Do they behave and look like the real NJPW chars?

I just lost to Okada's dumb cobra clutch. Incredibly unrealistic 0/10.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The wrestlers made by Spike are always geared a little toward putting up a fight against a player, so while they are recognizable as their namesake or lookalike, they are a little off. For premium true to life as can be ai you are going to want to get some edits built for the sake of simming.

For instance, typically a person making an Okada for simming will not place the cobra clutch anywhere in the logic where it will likely be a threat to put you down.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Gaz-L posted:

I just lost to Okada's dumb cobra clutch. Incredibly unrealistic 0/10.

This just means you're actually Chase Owens.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oh man I have to play the NJPW Fighting Road now and I barely know how to play. :ohdear:

But first, time to spend way to long trying to think of a name.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Genericide posted:

At first I thought it was dumb that I needed random Steam forum posts to help me figure out how to kick out of a pin. Now I realise that the ballache is half the charm.

wait is there a technique? i just mash...

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you kick out if you have enough health to do so while A/X has been pressed. tapping the button will effectively continuously check for if you have enough health to kick out and do so if you happen to have enough at any of the moments in which you've pressed the button and perhaps tapping it gives you a very tiny amount of health back each time while also checking for if you can kick out. Any way I've never played the game or seen any videos of it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh man I have to play the NJPW Fighting Road now and I barely know how to play. :ohdear:

But first, time to spend way to long trying to think of a name.

For what it's worth I've been terrible at every prior FP game and didn't do Mission Mode, and I'm doing fine in the story mode. It ramps up pretty logically and gradually, I think.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I made sure to set the boston crab as one of my signatures, like a true young lion.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Mission mode is such a weird mix of incredibly easy and incredibly frustrating ones, so it's a great representation of pro wrestling

I did enjoy the mission where it says to hit your opponent with a weapon, so I grabbed a sledgehammer, blasted the guy in the head, and got dqed 10 seconds into the match failing the mission

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gaz-L posted:

I made sure to set the boston crab as one of my signatures, like a true young lion.

Shouldn't it be your finisher then? :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wow, Fighting Road is a lot more complicated than I thought, that training menu :psyduck:

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Artelier posted:

wait is there a technique? i just mash...

I'm literally the opposite of an expert, but the internet said:
- hold X if it's early in the match
- mash like gently caress later on
- hold L1 to recover or breathe or something.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Looks like the PS4 store has given us the name of the rest of the DLCs/Season pass.

quote:

Content included (Season Pass):
Fire Pro Wrestling World - Fire Promoter
Fire Pro Wrestling World - Fighting Road: 2017 NJPW Junior Heavyweight Championship
Fire Pro Wrestling World - Fighting Road: Birth of the Legend

Content can be downloaded from the PlayStationŽStore once it is released.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Can't wait to buy and play Fire Pro Wrestling World - Fighting Road: 2017 NJPW Junior Heavyweight Championship upon its release in 2019

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I wonder what Birth of The Legend is? Do we know?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

hopefully its a proceural infinite career mode, but its maybe the MMA/K-1 career.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder what Birth of The Legend is? Do we know?

Nope, BotL was the previously unnamed and unspecified DLC, which was the real noteworthy thing about this showing up.

coconono posted:

hopefully its a proceural infinite career mode, but its maybe the MMA/K-1 career.

That'd be great, but I somehow doubt it, its listed as a "Fighting Road", so probably will be built using the same Visual Novel engine as the NJPW collab, and I really doubt that can do anything with a lot of randomness in it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe a 'classic' story? Like instead of fighting the current roster, you're up against like Mutoh, Chono and Fujinami?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its worth noting that unlike the other two Fighting Roads, "NJPW" isn't in the name.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe a 'classic' story? Like instead of fighting the current roster, you're up against like Mutoh, Chono and Fujinami?

bumble along for a few years as a lovely undercarder, win a worked fight against a K1 dude, and presto IWGP title run acquired

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
lmao i guess why mods and stuff don't work, and it should have been obvious by the UI, is because they ported the Playstation version of Fire Pro World back to the PC.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
It's Unity, they wouldn't have separate PC/PS4 versions because that'd be weird and nobody does that.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Glad I watched the newLegacy stream of the start of Fighting Road because the translation error where "Use illegal and rough moves" actually meant "Don't use illegal and rough moves" is still present.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KungFu Grip posted:

lmao i guess why mods and stuff don't work, and it should have been obvious by the UI, is because they ported the Playstation version of Fire Pro World back to the PC.

What the gently caress gah hah ha

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Takuan posted:

Good News: I got an older, modded version of Fire Pro to work independent of Steam while also having a new version working.
Bad News: My save has characters with modded moves and attire parts so now the new version won't acknowledge my keyboard and mouse and I have no idea what to do other than nuke my whole save and start over.

Sorry to hear about your save but I'm glad that it looks like we'll be able to have a show next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The NJPW Fighting Road is pretty good.

I like how the game establishes my Young Lion basically can't speak English, then nearly completely ignores this fact in favor of having me banter with the various SWA wrestlers.