Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

“CASE CHAT” has entered the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Question Mark Mound posted:

How much do you find your phone getting hot on wireless charging, especially for overnight charging? I'm considering getting a similar looking Anker charger

I still have no idea if all those articles about "wireless charging is killing your battery!" have at least 1% of truth in them or if it's just nonsense and I should feel safe just leaving it on a wireless pad for 8 hours every night.

I've owned three wireless chargers; RAVPower, Anker, and Samsung. They generate heat from greatest to lowest in that order. I've used the Samsung charger every night for the past year on my iPhone X and my battery is in great shape. It generates close to no discernible heat.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I have an iPhone 6s Plus. Is it worth upgrading to an 8/8 Plus? My 6s still seems to work great, aside from the battery getting a little weak. I love taking photos, photo editing, music production as well as development testing on it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The camera's quite a bit better on the 8.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Kind of an oddly specific request, but can anyone confirm if the ProClip adjustable holder for the 8 Plus with small case would work fine with an XS Max with Apple leather case? I upgraded from an 8, and the adjustable holder I had for that doesn't open nearly wide enough for the XS Max, and ProClip doesn't have any holder compatibility up on their site yet for the XS Max. Was hoping someone had one and can confirm it works with an XS Max. Not being able to mount my phone in my car is becoming infuriating.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Good Sphere posted:

I have an iPhone 6s Plus. Is it worth upgrading to an 8/8 Plus? My 6s still seems to work great, aside from the battery getting a little weak. I love taking photos, photo editing, music production as well as development testing on it.

My daughter is using my old 6+ and I’m on the 8+. The former is noticeably slower at everything and the camera is a lot better on the latter. Those are the two big differences.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Pivo posted:

The camera's quite a bit better on the 8.

rio posted:

My daughter is using my old 6+ and I’m on the 8+. The former is noticeably slower at everything and the camera is a lot better on the latter. Those are the two big differences.

Hmm wow I don't even notice any issues with speed, but maybe it will surprise me. I use the camera a lot, so it looks like I should go with the 8+.

As a lot of people are, I'm disappointed in the X models; namely the XR, especially for omitting 3D touch. I suppose it was to make a cheaper model out of an expensive phone combined with an LCD screen, but that is still expensive.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Good Sphere posted:

Hmm wow I don't even notice any issues with speed, but maybe it will surprise me. I use the camera a lot, so it looks like I should go with the 8+.

As a lot of people are, I'm disappointed in the X models; namely the XR, especially for omitting 3D touch. I suppose it was to make a cheaper model out of an expensive phone combined with an LCD screen, but that is still expensive.

Yeah, given that is basically hidden in most applications I’m not surprised more people won’t be missing 3D Touch but I use it multiple times every day. Cursor repositioning is a real pain in the rear end without it.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

rio posted:

Yeah, given that is basically hidden in most applications I’m not surprised more people won’t be missing 3D Touch but I use it multiple times every day. Cursor repositioning is a real pain in the rear end without it.

Ah, yes. That is my favorite thing about it, as well as with browsing.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

In iOS 12, holding the space bar triggers the cursor movement and I've found it to be more reliable than 3D Touch. Even with my 3D Touch sensitivity turned up, sometimes edit controls will simply stop responding to 3D Touching the keyboard - as in, the move-cursor mode just stops working. Awful.app is notorious for this. But for some reason, the space bar way to invoke it is 100% reliable for me.

3D Touch is still useful for popping things open and context menus in general, but it's a lot less necessary now IMO.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Pivo posted:

In iOS 12, holding the space bar triggers the cursor movement and I've found it to be more reliable than 3D Touch. Even with my 3D Touch sensitivity turned up, sometimes edit controls will simply stop responding to 3D Touching the keyboard - as in, the move-cursor mode just stops working. Awful.app is notorious for this. But for some reason, the space bar way to invoke it is 100% reliable for me.

3D Touch is still useful for popping things open and context menus in general, but it's a lot less necessary now IMO.

Cool I didn't know this. Good fix.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I open new Safari tabs from the home screen with 3D Touch. That and the cursor thing probably account for like 90%+ of my 3D Touch usage.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I use that poo poo all the time. Looking up words, popping webpages from links, tracking food quickly, all sorts of stuff. I even share apps with it sometimes!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1045772251797155840

:stare:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That was posted a few days ago, we've got more important things to complain about now

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Yeah, like why does my iPhone XS keep falling back to 3G when my 8, 6S, and even 5S could keep a strong LTE connection?

Because Intel, right?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Xenomorph posted:

Yeah, like why does my iPhone XS keep falling back to 3G when my 8, 6S, and even 5S could keep a strong LTE connection?

Because Intel, right?

pretty much

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I didn’t even know 3g was an option on my phone (7) because I don’t think I’ve ever seen it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can still find rural holes that have nothing but Edge. The modem still supports all that ancient poo poo, it just doesn't need to use it very often.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I have AT&T, and they shut off their 2G/EDGE network without even having full 3G or LTE coverage yet in many places.

I still use their "Mark the Spot" app to report bad areas, but I'm sure they ignore all reports they get.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
Okay, I feel stupid for asking, but...

Is there an easier way to clear an individual notification than swiping left on it, then tapping 'clear'? I am surprised at how annoyed I am with this. This is a much slower and more aggravating UI that "just swipe them away" on my 6 year old android phone.

This seems to suggest that's the only way: https://help.apple.com/iphone/12/#/iph6534c01bc

But that also claims there will be an X button to clear all. I've seen that... sometimes. But it's not there right now, so when does that show up?

Or am I supposed to interact with notifications differently somehow? Seems to me, you get an notification, you either want to handle it, dismiss it, or leave it for later. But for some reason, dismissing it is a lot harder than it needs to be.

I feel silly complaining because "how hard is a swipe and tap?" But it really feels so much slower.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

crazypenguin posted:

Okay, I feel stupid for asking, but...

Is there an easier way to clear an individual notification than swiping left on it, then tapping 'clear'? I am surprised at how annoyed I am with this.

3D Touch it until it starts to pop in, then swipe down to dismiss.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
Thanks! If not perfect, that seems to be a pretty good workaround.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Just ignore them.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ok you actually have to turn on reachability on the new iPhones. That explains why it never works

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ethanol posted:

I feel like it will be healthier for the XS battery

Actually, Chicago pizza is better than New York pizza.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

withak posted:

gently caress outta here

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

withak posted:

What in the gently caress is this horseshit?

https://youtu.be/LaA5dNFrFMI

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

withak posted:

rear end opinion, flat bread or bust

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

withak posted:

:agreed:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

withak posted:

Wars have been fought for less.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chicago brain: how can we take a food that everyone loves and turn it into a disgusting bowl of soup??

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Actually, the good kind of Chicago pizza isn't the kind you are thinking of.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

withak posted:

Actually, the good kind of Chicago pizza isn't the kind you are thinking of.

Chicago has tons of amazing food. The pizza is not in that group. Sorry.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Pivo posted:

3D Touch it until it starts to pop in, then swipe down to dismiss.

This is very cool. I know there are other 3D Touch things I’m missing too - it is just straight up odd how they introduced it without any real explanation as to where you can use it. I didn’t know about cursor moving until like 6 months ago!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Xenomorph posted:

Because Intel, right?

I think the modem isn’t tuned properly at the moment. It picked up 3G tonight for me but wouldn’t switch back over to LTE even though I had a full strength signal with it. Sounds like tuning is what is going to be required.

It sucks to have to deal with but, Oh well I guess.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ethanol posted:

rear end opinion, flat bread or bust

This is a weird gently caress marry kill.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I am curious, is there people who still using the iphone 1 these days?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rirse posted:

I am curious, is there people who still using the iphone 1 these days?
It's AT&T and 2G only, if I remember correctly, so that would really limit where you could use the thing.

Where I work I've see nothing older than the 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I have a shattered 3G and a replacement screen sitting in a drawer but gently caress if I'm ever going to fix and boot up the useless thing :effort: