Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Ignite Memories posted:

Oh man, I have been a paladin with lycanthropy before. You are going to learn so much about your DM

This is a depressingly accurate statement. That sounds cool, Nazgul; I really hope your DM doesn't go hard on forced alignment changes and paladin issues and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Fruity20 posted:

that is one of the most badass things i've ever read.

I know right? It was one hell of a fun night. I'm wondering how this is gonna go but I wasn't gonna see this coming.

It was fun ripping the throat out of the werewolf that turned me as well. Dancing blade, plus claws and bite equal one dead werewolf.

ProfessorCirno posted:

This is a depressingly accurate statement. That sounds cool, Nazgul; I really hope your DM doesn't go hard on forced alignment changes and paladin issues and whatnot.

He was stating that it would, but the party is staying a week in this town and the town is comprised of good guy werewolves. Mayor Valarkin and Aiden are primarily going to teach him how to control the problem (as much as possible that is), and because Leon is opting for that route there will be no alignment change.

The DM was gonna make a small side quest to cure me but we both wanted it to be a pain in the rear end to cure lycanthropy so it's gonna be a humongous undertaking to cure it which is great.

Thankfully the DM isn't an rear end about Paladins so far, and I chose the Devotion path for the challenge anyhow. Unless he's been a closet Paladin persecuter the whole time, I'm gonna stay optimistic.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I maintain that the idea of a Paladin's Oath in 5E is one of the best goddamn things DnD has added to the idea of Paladins in basically forever.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Eh?

A flask rogue or spiked chain fighter is more useful than a guy running around with low spell DCs on low level enchantments. Sure, you can turtle with mirror image and whatnot, Alter self is cute but not particularly good without splatbook access. Now you have the problem that martials suck in core without copious amounts of multiclassing, sure, and classes like monk are particularly worthless, but I'd take a spiked chain tripper or spirited charge lancer over a bard any day.
You say that but I'm looking at the best spells a bard has and its enough of a thing to have them be offensive even back in the 3.5 days.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Just be a cool giant holy wolf man howling with the fury of your God, this isn't complicated

OGRE RENDS MY BREASTPLATE SEES THE ANKH LOOPED AROUND MY NECK. SHE LOOKS DOWN AT ME, BUT ITS TOO LATE. IM ALREADY HOWLIN ABOUT THE ANUBIS

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

AlphaDog posted:

When I first got my hands on AD&D, in like 1989 or 1990, there was this class called "monk" and through a series of kid-mind misunderstandings including having to use the dictionary to look up "ascetic", I originally imagined these guys as Friar Tuck (as depicted in Disney's Robin Hood) looking old-timey pugilists.

Look, I was a book nerd, ok? "Anime" wasn't a thing in my mind, but if it was I'd have associated the word with scifi stuff like Captain Harlock or Star Blazers, not karate monks.

My version's cooler anyway, gently caress all y'all.

In The Mark of Zorro (1940) there's a friar who is Zorro's friend and confidant, and towards the end of the movie in the big climactic battle scene he's running around clocking soldiers over the head with a club and saying "God forgive me!" every time.

That's basically how I picture monks.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In The Mark of Zorro (1940) there's a friar who is Zorro's friend and confidant, and towards the end of the movie in the big climactic battle scene he's running around clocking soldiers over the head with a club and saying "God forgive me!" every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QHiNB-Wud4

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

My original monk concept was similar to that, the medieval pugilist in brown robes punching people in the face. I eventually came around to the kung fu bullshit that they were going to, but in my mind, the ideal monk concept is 82 White Chain Born in Emptiness Returns to Subdue Evil. Hey, it even includes "Forgive me for this violence I am about to inflict."

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Gearhead posted:

I maintain that the idea of a Paladin's Oath in 5E is one of the best goddamn things DnD has added to the idea of Paladins in basically forever.

Certainly beats out the rule where if you carried seven magic swords you lose all your powers.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sadly in 5e you cannot actually rip out the throat of another werewolf with your claws or jaws. Unless someone cast a spell on you. Because for some reason 5e did not set it up so that things with Resistance or Immunity to weapons that aren't magical or made from a certain metal can't overcome similar Resistance/Immunity. So werewolves cannot harm each other unless they come across a magical or silver weapon.

I believe this actually becomes an issue in the Ravenloft adventure.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Ryuujin posted:

Sadly in 5e you cannot actually rip out the throat of another werewolf with your claws or jaws. Unless someone cast a spell on you. Because for some reason 5e did not set it up so that things with Resistance or Immunity to weapons that aren't magical or made from a certain metal can't overcome similar Resistance/Immunity. So werewolves cannot harm each other unless they come across a magical or silver weapon.

That's pretty dumb, but also kind of awesome? It makes me imagine a werewolf having to hire an assassin to take out another werewolf because he can't do it himself. Or werewolf packs taking play-fighting to a ridiculous level because they can't actually harm each other. Or a werewolf revolutionary who wants to turn everyone into werewolves so that no one can hurt each other any more.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Ryuujin posted:

He was making it resistant because everyone had a magic weapon anyhow and it would've been no fun if a turned character could barely do anything with their new form and wouldn't make sense that the werewolves would attack a town of werewolves if they couldn't kill each other.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Werewolves with silver grills and silver nail extensions.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Toshimo posted:

I believe the culprit is this motherfucker right here:

What was the Level Adjustment for the Spoony template, anyway?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

My dad would always watch those old swashbuckler movies!

I had completely forgotten about that one, but there's every chance it was in the back of my mind at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNR0rVytRWo&t=6723s

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Splicer posted:

There are two kinds of people who've played D&D 3.x, those who think HP is a meaningful component of the game, and those who actually paid attention.

If you can do enough DPS to one-round enemies that is a hell of a lot better than playing the immunity/save guessing game, and that's usually the goal of most martials in 3.X.

There's a reason the most powerful wizard builds metamagicked orb spells to death.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

RC Cola posted:

Debating buying this, can you tell me some examples(not too detailed) about some maneuvers?

What ways are there for my grappling Goliath barbarian to be able to wrestle huge+ creatures?

different timezones, late reply etc...

There's a Tier 1 maneuver "Grappling Attack" but not yet one for grappling larger targets - which is perfect for this and I'd add that to the next update. I think it's like this:

Perpetual Leverage
Tier 4
(Fighter gets Tier 4 at level 13, other martials at level 15):
While grappling you are able to shift your stance and endlessly turn the momentum of your opponent against them. You can grapple targets two sizes larger than you. When you either initiate a grapple or when you contest a grapple escape you may roll a superiority dice and choose to add a part or all of the result to your Strength (Athletics) check. If you choose a part of your roll you may add the balance to subsequent checks until this grapple is over.

At Higher Tiers: At Tier 5 you may grapple targets 3 sizes larger than you.
(Tier 5 is level 17 for a fighter and level 19 for other martials)

Incidentally, casters can not reach Tier 4 and only reach Tier 3 at level 19.

Existing maneuvers that may help your grappler include:
Tier 1: Distracting Strike (an ally confers advantage to the grapplers roll); Flanking (gain advantage on attack roll if flanking); Grappling Attack (make grappling attack as a bonus action);
Tier 2: Athletic Surge (add dice to Athletics check - add 2 dice at Tier 3, 3 at Tier 4 etc)

this should be tweaked to help grapplers
Tier 3: Feinting Attack (add advantage and dice to next attack damage - *I'm going to modify this to allow the choice to add the roll to the attack roll)

I've yet to take the time to really pillage the Tome of Battle for ideas. Most of the maneuvers in this version came with permission from Magil Zeal. That grappling larger creatures is a perfect fit RC Cola thanks, what's your email I'll send you a copy.

If anyone has a move they can't do I can try and express it and add to this book, if it fits and isn't there already. I avoid maneuvers that seem to imitate spells. I like maneuvers that exploit the abstraction of combat in 5e to confer advantage, opportunities and bonuses to the martial or their allies.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I would have been pissed if a DM decided my character instantly turned into a werewolf for rolling a 1 when bitten

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Ignite Memories posted:

Oh man, I have been a paladin with lycanthropy before. You are going to learn so much about your DM

I played a paladin in Ravenloft who wound up with a cursed intelligent sword that made him go out at night and kill people while he was sleeping. It didn't end well.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Cephas posted:

Or werewolf packs taking play-fighting to a ridiculous level because they can't actually harm each other

See someone's got a bucket of ideas.

clusterfuck posted:

At Higher Tiers: At Tier 5 you may grapple targets 3 sizes larger than you.[/i] (Tier 5 is level 17 for a fighter and level 19 for other martials)

I don't know size levels for 5e, but If I can't grapple literally everything by Tier 5, then it is for chumps.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I don't know size levels for 5e, but If I can't grapple literally everything by Tier 5, then it is for chumps.

Tiny-Small-Medium-Large-Huge-Gargantuan

For a medium sized Tier 5 grappler this means gargantuan: you're grappling everything. If you are size small and know the Tier 5 Perpetual Leverage maneuver you can now grapple Huge creatures such as Hydras or Adult Dragons. If you are a Tiny Tier 5 Perpetual Leverage grappler you can grapple an Ogre, Owlbear or other Large opponents.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

clusterfuck posted:

For a medium sized Tier 5 grappler this means gargantuan: you're grappling everything. If you are size small and know the Tier 5 Perpetual Leverage maneuver you can now grapple Huge creatures such as Hydras or Adult Dragons. If you are a Tiny Tier 5 Perpetual Leverage grappler you can grapple an Ogre, Owlbear or other Large opponents.

Sounds like it's for chumps!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I had a guy catch lycanthropy and as the needlessly edgy warlock of the group we were excited about making it a secret cross to bear except the group caught on basically immediately and also I stopped playing the warlock in favor of a wizard because gently caress fumble tables jesus christ

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Sounds like it's for chumps!

But but you can talk to your DM!

e: serious answer: maneuvers aren't a replacement for spells. Get someone to cast Enlarge / Reduce and with some party co-operation your halfling martial will be grappling the Tarrasque in no time.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 29, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I had a guy catch lycanthropy and as the needlessly edgy warlock of the group we were excited about making it a secret cross to bear except the group caught on basically immediately and also I stopped playing the warlock in favor of a wizard because gently caress fumble tables jesus christ

So your DM put in fumble tables

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

clusterfuck posted:

Does gargantuan only include creatures, or can you grapple mountains? How about rivers? Buildings?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
multiclassing my level 10 bard into cleric, now i have 19 ac and can give my party 41 bonus hp a day. now we're really supporting

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

Does gargantuan only include creatures, or can you grapple mountains? How about rivers? Buildings?

This has been a good example for some time, let me think about the implementation.

First reaction: Yes in principle why wouldn't you be able to grapple inanimate objects? The only consideration is tuning for the tone of the campaign the DM is running and providing some mechanism that builds the fluff. That provides a context for the DM to interpret unexpected situations.

I would make a separate maneuver from Perpetual Leverage though. The fluff of Perpetual Leverage implies harnessing the physical energy of the target. I would build this maneuver as harnessing an energy that may also be metaphysical. Maybe call it Incredible Leverage for now. So one may start with carriages and carts, then rivers and avalanches but then perhaps the martial wishes to stop the flow of credit from a bank or divert the course of a river or shove a mountain so as to expose BBEG in their lair immediately.

As the objective becomes increasingly metaphysical or impossible I would lean on the mechanism of leadership, mojo and gravitas an incredible warrior projects. There are already lower Tier maneuvers that build on this. At higher Tiers leadership of armies and intimidation of enemy hordes come from this quality unique to martials. At the highest Tiers the martial can draw the attention of an opportunistic god with their intent, mortal will and dedication alone. The god in question will never acknowledge their contribution as the actions of the martial provide plausible deniability for the god.

This perspective of the god allows the DM a framework to implement the maneuver appropriately for their campaign. So yes, this prospective Incredible Leverage (Gods proxy) maneuver would allow those Herculean acts in a way I think works: Providing sufficient narrative control to a martial to provoke the DM and force some narrative outcome.

I do need a bit of time to work out the best wording for this but that's getting closer.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

So your DM put in fumble tables

If nothing else, it was a really good lesson: DON'T USE FUMBLE TABLES.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Not yet finished rule wording but the notional quality is Mojo.

So perhaps a Tier progression could look something like:

Tier 1: Big Words: Something like Commanders Strike.
Tier 2: Rally: Something like Commanders Strike for a group - say affected HD equalling superiority roll.
Tier 3: Mojo: Influence effect on all who can see you. Inspire allies and intimidate enemies. Again, affected HD by superiority dice roll.
Tier 4: Deep Mojo: Your reputation precedes you, for good or for ill. Perform legendary physical acts that once witnessed cannot be forgotten. The mechanical effect is still a little nebulous and may end up being fairly DM dependent but this is an influence effect on those who have heard of you. Far reaching influence even through word of mouth or other media. Those who witness and survive can't stop talking about it and ensure you are the zeitgeist. Fades through time defined by Superiority roll multiplied by unreliable media.
Tier 5: True Mojo: influence that would make a god jealous of your favour. True Mojo allows you to become the proxy of an anonymous god. You may seek to perform an incredible feat such as diverting a river or shoving a mountain. Your True Mojo focuses your intent, mortal will and dedication into a declared outcome of some physical feat that you perform. The martial must be aware that using True Mojo can have dangerous unforeseen consequences.

*This isn't yet in the Martial Maneuvers, just spitballing the rules for the next update.*
...Deep Mojo needs the most consideration for meaningful mechanical outcomes but I'm thinking it's forcing the DM to consider narrative changes such as commoners being amazed or appalled by the martials abilities. It might result in the martial getting free accommodation in the next town or it may result in the next village running to the hills or calling reinforcements or setting an ambush. It forces a change in the narrative that will be difficult to control.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 29, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Lol I didn't know Satine Pheonix was now the official community manager for D&D. Guess Mearls is still glued to Zak's dick, suckin away.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Do changelings count as "shapechangers" like for the spells moonbeam and polymorph? Now I know the answer is obviously "yes", but I can't seem to find anything in their entry in Wayfinders Guide that says they are "shapechangers" other than they literally can change their shape.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

Lol I didn't know Satine Pheonix was now the official community manager for D&D. Guess Mearls is still glued to Zak's dick, suckin away.

Matt Mercer really doesn't deserve propping up a game with such regressive politics.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Arivia posted:

Care to elaborate? I don't really know who Satine Phoenix is.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah so what's the discourse on Satine Phoenix?

I've only seen like a half second of her on GM Tips so I'm completely ignorant to anything about her.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's my understanding that she's Zak S's partner

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

King of Solomon posted:

Care to elaborate? I don't really know who Satine Phoenix is.

Former porn actress and friend of Zak S who became a minor D&D celeb from their actual play series and I guess is now community manager.

Beyond the Zak connection I dunno enough about her as a person to get cranky about it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's my understanding that she's Zak S's partner

I don’t know if she’s his partner romantically or whatever but yes they are definitely business partners. She got into RPGs through his “D&D with Pornstars” series and has worked her way through Actual Play circles up to her position.

Very much hiring a friend of a friend thing. Really shows how close Mearls is to that crew.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From checking. Satine just likes D&D, and has been doing D&D series on various things for 8 years or so. And has been involved with various RPG sites and groups. She eventually struck up friendships with Jeremy Crawford and Chris Lindsay most notably from the D&D team. And due to her wide interest and heavy involvement in the D&D streaming community, got the job as the community manager.

Here's an interview that seems to paint a decent picture of her. https://www.tribality.com/2018/07/25/satine-phoenix-dd-community-manager-interview/

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

From checking. Satine just likes D&D, and has been doing D&D series on various things for 8 years or so. And has been involved with various RPG sites and groups. She eventually struck up friendships with Jeremy Crawford and Chris Lindsay most notably from the D&D team. And due to her wide interest and heavy involvement in the D&D streaming community, got the job as the community manager.

She does not appear to have done anything with Zak S for years.

Here's an interview that seems to paint a decent picture of her. https://www.tribality.com/2018/07/25/satine-phoenix-dd-community-manager-interview/

STOP
DEFENDING
ABUSERS
AND THEIR ALLIES

this kind of poo poo is exactly what makes you the worst poster in this thread. STOP IT.