Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Manos does that for me. It's infamous, and I get why, but it is not a fun watch. It just sucks all the energy from the room. Carnival Magic was borderline that bad for me, it took me three tries to make it all the way through that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Manos does that for me. It's infamous, and I get why, but it is not a fun watch. It just sucks all the energy from the room. Carnival Magic was borderline that bad for me, it took me three tries to make it all the way through that episode.

Bruceski needed three tries to watch Carnival Magic. But you're not Bruceski. You're Gus. And Gus can watch that movie in one sitting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

Nah, then people would be way angrier about it.

Yeah. No one's told me to kill myself or wished some very unpleasant and possibly biologically impossible things upon my mother, because I said 'I think Mike's funny and hasn't he been head writer all this time?'

My big 'I can't get through this movie' is Wild World of Batwoman. I have fallen asleep every time I've watched it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

brocked posted:

Time to talk about Julia Sawalha for 500 pages, then

Just letting you know I appreciate this deep cut.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My only problem with Jonah is not really with him per se, but the fact I have a hard time differentiating his voice from Baron's such that I am not always sure who's talking.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. No one's told me to kill myself or wished some very unpleasant and possibly biologically impossible things upon my mother, because I said 'I think Mike's funny and hasn't he been head writer all this time?'

My big 'I can't get through this movie' is Wild World of Batwoman. I have fallen asleep every time I've watched it.

The sheer venom with which Kevin/Servo screams "ENNNNNNND!" at the ending kind of implies to me that the crew feel the same way.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Isn't Wild World of Batwoman the one with the short about cheating in front of it?

I think, by some subjective measure, the best episode is Horror of Party Beach. It's such a bad movie, but then you start to think about how absurd the whole thing is.

Think the length of time the monsters have been attacking, and then the numbers of people killed.

Think about the guy looking for sodium, and decides, after all the other chemical distributors were out, to not call the last one. Because it's an hour away.

You know. People dying by the score is one thing, but driving two hours just get the thing that will stop the killings? Nah...

Or when he gets to NYC, he takes a trip around all the landmarks.

You need a movie that's ridiculous and absurd. That's the key.

My favorite riff is "all right! A full tank of gas!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

brocked posted:

Time to talk about Julia Sawalha for 500 pages, then

I've been rewatching Bottom and she pops up in an ep as a barmaid. I was digging her look

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dungeon Ecology posted:

recently rewatched carnival magic on a whim and man does that movie have a creepy rapey vibe to it. plus that really sucky racist joke about the car chase.

but it’s the 70s so i guess par for the course.

I wasn't paying too much attention when I was watching Carnival magic, and I honestly thought the girl's love interest in that movie was supposed to be her dad, the age gap was so extreme :barf:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

Horror of Party Beach.

Horror at Public Beach!
I do love that one though, mainly because the zombie stomp is actually a kind of fun song and the most buoyant that the film gets. If they just ended the film after Jean Paul Sartre and gang leave and the hot-dog mouth creature appears, I'd be pretty satisfied over all.

someone on this forum has the "flesh ripped off my skuuuuuull!" shot as their avatar

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's such a bad movie, but then you start to think about how absurd the whole thing is.

I was watching MST3K: The Movie and realized how ridiculous This Island Earth really is. Cal mentions that he's taking common elements and turning them into nuclear power sources and Exeter mentions that he and Roooooth are far ahead of other scientists in turning lead into uranium. So, basically, Cal and company are alchemists.

Later, when Exeter is ordered home, he destroys the facility (and everyone in it) for no good reason. It's not like our scientists can go to Metaluna. Besides, Metaluna is about to be destroyed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite thing about This Island Earth is just how loving long it takes Cal to realize Exeter is an alien.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Inframan is fun already, but it might be best to go in cold with the crew

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

muscles like this! posted:

My favorite thing about This Island Earth is just how loving long it takes Cal to realize Exeter is an alien.

I've known a lot of nuclear physicists, Exeter doesn't stand out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I do love that one though, mainly because the zombie stomp is actually a kind of fun song and the most buoyant that the film gets. If they just ended the film after Jean Paul Sartre and gang leave and the hot-dog mouth creature appears, I'd be pretty satisfied over all.

Yeah, the further it gets away from beach movie territory the less fun it gets. Still solid, though. That beach rumble is incredible, though.

"Here, let me toss a gay man at you."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, the further it gets away from beach movie territory the less fun it gets. Still solid, though. That beach rumble is incredible, though.

"Here, let me toss a gay man at you."

And we can never forget:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Another Bill posted:

Just to make sure we're getting a full bell curve of opinions, I really enjoyed s11 and think it's as good as any season between 2-10. Except the Christmas movie, I can never sit through those and find them incredibly boring.

Santa Claus is the best one though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI88eDq6o-Y

Dawgstar posted:

Bat Woman is a tough one. But this scene cracks me up every time. It's just so unbelievably stupid in every possible way and something about the timing just kills me.

"Please, God, cut away to anything please!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x38AM_SxIz0

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's amazing how inefficacious Cal is for all of This Island Earth, too.
(after the pressure destroys the mut-ant while Cal's still in a tube) "Thank god I saved you!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hogama posted:

(after the pressure destroys the mut-ant while Cal's still in a tube) "Thank god I saved you!"

It is definitely one of those movies where if the "hero" hadn't shown up everything would have turned out exactly the same. It's not like Cal and RUTH did anything to actually stop the invasion. They just were around to learn about it right as everything fell apart.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Wild Wild World of Bat Woman is on my top 10 episodes list.

There's just so much weird stuff going on either in the background or right up front. Also, it makes you realize what a wasteland made for TV movies were in the 60s.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Proteus Jones posted:

The Wild Wild World of Bat Woman is on my top 10 episodes list.

There's just so much weird stuff going on either in the background or right up front. Also, it makes you realize what a wasteland made for TV movies were in the 60s.

Mole men out of loving nowhere!

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Dixville posted:

Bat Woman is a tough one. But this scene cracks me up every time. It's just so unbelievably stupid in every possible way and something about the timing just kills me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

This gag always kills me. Somehow my favorite episodes are always the most miserable movies.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Gaz-L posted:

The sheer venom with which Kevin/Servo screams "ENNNNNNND!" at the ending kind of implies to me that the crew feel the same way.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

This gag always kills me. Somehow my favorite episodes are always the most miserable movies.

Yessss I also busted out laughing the first time I heard that!

The batdancing did get a liiittle drawn out there you have to admit

Also that one that's like the "stock footage song" which is just "budutdadutdada EAT IT MOVIE"

Edit hey youtube has that one too, sweet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcL3EIqIOdY

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

My only problem with Jonah is not really with him per se, but the fact I have a hard time differentiating his voice from Baron's such that I am not always sure who's talking.

Yeah, that's the main problem I have with this new cast. I do like them though.

I think I may be a rarity but I think Jonah is just as good as Mike. Joel will forever be my fave though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hogama posted:

The thing that gets me abut This Island Earth is that nothing happens. Cal goes to the mansion, meets Exeter, Exeter brings him and Ruth to Metaluna, they're there for like ten minutes, then they go back to Earth. The end!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Dixville posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x38AM_SxIz0

You know, that may not actually be Chinese!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Bruceski posted:

For some reason, the Manos restoration really made the movie a lot more watchable to me. It even got legit creepy once in awhile, finally watching it like it was supposed to actually look and all.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The thing that gets me abut This Island Earth is that nothing happens. Cal goes to the mansion, meets Exeter, Exeter brings him and Ruth to Metaluna, they're there for like ten minutes, then they go back to Earth. The end!

In fairness, the MST version did have to chop out a total of 20 minutes from the film. I have yet to see the uncut version but my understanding is that nothing of importance happens in those 20 minutes anyway. The Metaluna sequence is a little less rushed but the characters still don't do anything of importance.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I kind of like The Time Travelers as a movie on its on. Something about just using stage magic as special effects is fun.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Re: cut material, I saw the Rifftrax version of Time Chasers last week and there's some weird stuff cut. Like a racist new york cabbie that shows up a few times. It's very strange.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Powered Descent posted:

In fairness, the MST version did have to chop out a total of 20 minutes from the film. I have yet to see the uncut version but my understanding is that nothing of importance happens in those 20 minutes anyway. The Metaluna sequence is a little less rushed but the characters still don't do anything of importance.

They cut out the part where Exeter gets word via interocitor that Metaluna is under attack and that he and his men are to blow up the facility and get back ASAP.

Also, when Cal, Ruth, and the Professor are talking, Cal figures out that they are being spied on. Ruth explains that she only pretended not to know Cal in order to protect him (I think I remember that right).

There's also more on Metaluna where Exeter is trying to prevent Cal & Ruth from getting their brains fried.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Powered Descent posted:

I watched it a few times as a kid before the MST3K version, and most of the edited material took place in the mansion, building up the 'mystery' surrounding Exeter and Brak, and giving the Professor some token development before they blow him up. There is also a longer space battle (or what passes for one) between the Metalunan ship and the Zagons en route.

I don't actually remember anything being cut after the arrive at Metaluna; I think that act was always that rushed. Edit: Or I'm wrong.

It should be noted that it was a very well received film when it was released, but it has aged very poorly when compared to contemporaries like War of the Worlds and Forbidden Planet.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 29, 2018

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
How many films can you remember seeing before watching the riffed version? A gas station when I was a child had a vhs rental section and had Merlin's Shop for some reason. I watched that any times before ever seeing the episode.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It’s so odd to me that he’s called Exeter. That’s just a town. It’s like if he were named Cambridge.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

World Famous W posted:

How many films can you remember seeing before watching the riffed version? A gas station when I was a child had a vhs rental section and had Merlin's Shop for some reason. I watched that any times before ever seeing the episode.

Off the top of my head, from waaay back in the 1980s: I remember seeing the various Godzilla/Gamera movies on Chicago area syndicated TV; "Space Travelers" when it was still "Marooned" before AIP (IIRC) edited it ( I *think* that aired on WGN, possibly as part of the "Family Classics" series); and at least a few of the black and white horror/sci-fi movies when they were hosted by Chicago's own (Son of) Svengoolie. "Screaming Skull" I definitely remember for sure, and I want to say "I Was a Teenage Werewolf" and "Terror From the Year 5000" were also possibly featured on Sven's show back then.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

HopperUK posted:

It’s so odd to me that he’s called Exeter. That’s just a town. It’s like if he were named Cambridge.

I was just in Exeter yesterday on a day trip.

No one tried to ram an ovipositor down my throat and lay their eggs in my chest. :smith:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Off the top of my head, from waaay back in the 1980s: I remember seeing the various Godzilla/Gamera movies on Chicago area syndicated TV; "Space Travelers" when it was still "Marooned" before AIP (IIRC) edited it ( I *think* that aired on WGN, possibly as part of the "Family Classics" series); and at least a few of the black and white horror/sci-fi movies when they were hosted by Chicago's own (Son of) Svengoolie. "Screaming Skull" I definitely remember for sure, and I want to say "I Was a Teenage Werewolf" and "Terror From the Year 5000" were also possibly featured on Sven's show back then.

WFLD used to show a lot of those on Sat afternoons, as well. And I *think* they did Kung Fu movies in the late AM as well.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

World Famous W posted:

I actually saw Time Travellers when I was a little kid and it disturbed the heck out of me.

Speaking of edits, they cut the ending where, after everyone goes through the time portal the final time, the movie picks back up from the beginning since they're in an eternal loop. Then it starts speeding up, looping though over and over and going faster and faster until the film ends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-YLczxeyGU

Again, very disturbing to see when you're like 7.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

World Famous W posted:

Saw Santa Claus, the Master Ninja eps, and Soultaker before seeing them on MST3k

edit: Overdrawn at the Memory Bank as well

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ms Boods posted:

I was just in Exeter yesterday on a day trip.

No one tried to ram an ovipositor down my throat and lay their eggs in my chest. :smith:

Of course not, they're not aliens! :tinfoil: