Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah Godless was pretty mediocre imo.
The main reason I watched it was because it heard some parts of a Fresh Air interview with the creator but I think he oversold it. I get that he was trying to convey that Jeff Daniel’s character didn’t think he was evil (in an attempt to make things less black and white) but I didn’t really buy it. I don’t think any amount of brainwashing cult-of-personality would let him gather up a group of 30 mooks that would unhesitatingly lay down their lives for him. I think the bar for “good TV” has been raised high enough that it needed some more convincing writing.

I did like some of the characters and there were moments I thought worked well (particularly Whitey’s unglamorous demise) but overall... do better next time.

Edit:

Lycus posted:

The climax fight was the worst part of Godless, but it did never do everything it could've done with the town.
Yeah I thought they could have done more there too - other than the negotiation scene you didn’t see much of the internal conflict of the place.

david_a fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Hang the DJ (episode 4, series 4) is one of my favorites, and while I didn't like the tech hook of metalhead (s4e5), I REALLY liked the execution. I still like black mirror despite a few duds. San Junipero, White Bear are the two best episodes of TV for me in their respective years.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It didn't work for me because all I can think of was "wait, why was he at the sheriff's office and not the hotel".

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Queen Combat posted:

Hang the DJ (episode 4, series 4) is one of my favorites, and while I didn't like the tech hook of metalhead (s4e5), I REALLY liked the execution. I still like black mirror despite a few duds. San Junipero, White Bear are the two best episodes of TV for me in their respective years.
Looking at reviews, Crocodile (s4e3) seems to be by far the weakest episode of the season so I won’t give up on it quite yet.

Does Hulu have Fargo S3 and Legion S2 yet?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lycus posted:

It didn't work for me because all I can think of was "wait, why was he at the sheriff's office and not the hotel".
Because he’s an overconfident idiot kid would be my explanation. Was that even the sheriff’s office? There was a shadow of a cross on the wall; I don’t remember that from the jail house. It wasn’t his shack though...

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

david_a posted:

Looking at reviews, Crocodile (s4e3) seems to be by far the weakest episode of the season so I won’t give up on it quite yet.

Does Hulu have Fargo S3 and Legion S2 yet?

Yes on fargo no on legion

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

david_a posted:

I don’t think any amount of brainwashing cult-of-personality would let him gather up a group of 30 mooks that would unhesitatingly lay down their lives for him. I think the bar for “good TV” has been raised high enough that it needed some more convincing writing.

This. It’s been a pet peeve of mine lately when a show/movie makes an especially nasty bad guy who is a leader, but doesn’t put in the effort to show me why people would actually follow them. It feels lazy and unearned.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Saved my last little bit of weed so I can properly enjoy Hold the Dark which comes out tomorrow. I'm rarely excited for big movies these days, but it seems like Netflix always has something interesting on the horizon.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I dunno if anyone besides me is into old black and white serial films, but I found one on Prime called The Monster and The Ape.

It’s classic goofy, corny old sci-fi and I am having a blast watching it.

On that note, anybody know where I can find other old serials on streaming?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
YouTube.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

david_a posted:

Working on finishing Black Mirror S4 now after also abandoning it for a while (trying to wrap up things before I switch to another service for a while) and I really, really hate episode 3. The tech hook is lame nonsense and the main character is utterly unsympathetic. Not sure I’m going to bother with the rest of it after that; the only episode I’ve really heard mentioned in this season was the first one. Has this show run its course at this point?

As the other poster mentioned, you may as well at least watch the next episode ("Hang the DJ"), as it's really well done. And as an added bonus, if you're a Sigur Ros fan at all, Jonsi contributes the musical score.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I did just smoke a huge bowl of weed but Hold the Dark seems incredible so far, very minimalistic

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

david_a posted:

Working on finishing Black Mirror S4 now after also abandoning it for a while (trying to wrap up things before I switch to another service for a while) and I really, really hate episode 3. The tech hook is lame nonsense and the main character is utterly unsympathetic. Not sure I’m going to bother with the rest of it after that; the only episode I’ve really heard mentioned in this season was the first one. Has this show run its course at this point?

Metalhead is a pretty solid, unique episode. And the finale has a lot of callbacks to previous episodes which is kinda neat, not sure if I'd call it a "good" episode.

I think you can safely skip Hang the DJ though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Medullah posted:

Metalhead is a pretty solid, unique episode. And the finale has a lot of callbacks to previous episodes which is kinda neat, not sure if I'd call it a "good" episode.

I think you can safely skip Hang the DJ though.

What is wrong with you?? Hang the DJ is in the top 5 of the whole series.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

david_a posted:

Sadly I kind of feel like the show has used up a lot of its bag of tricks. I thought this last season was worth watching, but nothing had the raw impact of the best shows from other season in my opinion. I'll still watch going forward but I'm not that optimistic.

I do feel that the Penn episode had one or two great premises that were kind of wasted as little minianthology stories.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What is wrong with you?? Hang the DJ is in the top 5 of the whole series.

I guess I'll have to go back and rewatch it but I wasn't particularly impressed.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Hold the Dark was great, not quite as good as Green Room or Blue Ruin imo but still really enjoyable. It was very subdued and atmospheric with some solid performances and good violence, including one especially fun action scene towards the middle. The narrative wasn't the strongest, but the thick atmosphere kinda picked up the slack.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Don't tell me, but I just watched the trailer for Hold the Dark, and I can't tell if this is a subdued supernatural movie about a shapeshifter, or a non-supernatural movie about a serial killer.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Lighthearted rom com

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Watched Unsane on Prime yesterday and it wasn't bad. Kind of fell apart towards the end, but it's still worth a watch. A friend recommended it and told me the whole thing was shot in 10 days on an iPhone 7, which I completely forgot about when I started watching, and was wondering why the camera quality looked sort of sub-par.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

david_a posted:

Finished Godless on Netflix the other day and it was... OK. I felt it was let down by the final gunfight - kind of a disappointing mess of action cliches. I guess everything can’t be Unforgiven but it really took me out of it; I think a modern series needs to be a bit more grounded to rise to the top. The cast being primarily female was refreshing for a Western.

Finished up Ash vs Evil Dead yesterday after being stalled for months halfway though season 2. The last two episodes were worth it but I probably won’t bother watching season 3 when it hits Netflix.

Eps 4 & 6 of s4 black mirror are pretty good. I thought metalhead was a decent thriller, just not very black mirrory

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sarchasm posted:

If you have Shudder (and now is really the season to have Shudder) you should really check out Revenge. It's a tense rape-revenge flick with fantastic cinematography and lots of well-deserved gore. And the rape mostly happens off-screen if you're squeamish about that sort of thing. Seems like it would be a real crowd-pleaser despite the subject matter.

I went to watch this as it’s been on my short list and it’s...not, on shudder? Is this outside of the US or something?

TastesBlue
Jan 15, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I went to watch this as it’s been on my short list and it’s...not, on shudder? Is this outside of the US or something?

I’m in the states, and I see it under recently added.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

veni veni veni posted:

It's on Shudder, I watched it the other night.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well, that's weird. I'm looking at it through Amazon (with a shudder sub) and it's trying to make me pay to rent it. What am I missing here?

Edit: I'm looking at it on the shudder site now and I see it. First time I've ever even checked the site as I just subbed directly through amazon. No idea what my shudder login info even is or why the hell it's not available on prime with my sub. That is irritating.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 29, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Amazon is notoriously slow about getting new Shudder releases up. They also don't have access to the livestream. I definitely encourage people to subscribe directly.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

feedmyleg posted:

Amazon is notoriously slow about getting new Shudder releases up. They also don't have access to the livestream. I definitely encourage people to subscribe directly.

Counterpoint, when I had an Amazon subscription it was a smooth stream. Using the shudder app/going to shudder.com I get constant buffering on my gigabit connection.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Counterpoint, when I had an Amazon subscription it was a smooth stream. Using the shudder app/going to shudder.com I get constant buffering on my gigabit connection.

Yeah, the Shudder app is barely functional.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The vrv app isnt great, but it looks nice and is functional. I maintain that it is the superior way to access Shudder.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Shudder app works perfectly fine on my Apple TV. Even the Joe Bob Briggs stream was fine. The only recent problems I’ve ever had with streaming have been with HBO Now.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Yo, Hilda is fuckin' dope. I know it's a kid's show, but the narrative is completely enclosed, there are no nods to the real world. It also has really nice morals, and looks beautiful. And no fart humor or other garbage.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 29, 2018

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Hold the Dark ended up being just okay. Certainly not Green Room. I'm more stoked Saulnier's directing True Detective S3.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
HOLD THE DARK is the latest from Jeremy Saulnier and Macon Blair (Blue Ruin, Green Room). After a wolf kills a child in a small Alaskan village, Dr. Core (Jeffery Wright) is called to investigate and track these man-eating wolves. Would that it were so simple!

Jeremy Saulnier is one of my favorite directors and part of the reason why is that for Saulnier, violence matters. Violence stains. Grief and revenge shatter people's souls in a way that not a lot of other filmmakers are tackling. Saulnier makes films that, while not violent films, depict violence in ways that are arresting and unpleasant.

HOLD THE DARK is maybe Saulnier's "weirdest" film in that it goes places his previous works haven't. I find it totally on brand for him in a way that tells a new story, but I could see this being a more divisive entry in the Saulnierverse. I loved it and found the cinematography gorgeous, the writing heavy and intoxicating, and the story unnerving and robust. This is not an easy film, but I think it's one of the best of 2018 for me.

(Available on Netflix in the US right now!)

edit: If I'm honest, HTD is not as good as Blue Ruin and Green Room, but for me those are perfect films so HTD is simply "really drat good" in my book

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 30, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I felt the same way. Great atmosphere, dialog and performances, but I definitely didn't like it as much as Green Room or Blue Ruin. It's not nearly as accessible as those films and it's a lot slower, so it's almost surely going to be more divisive. I'm still not entirely sure what I just watched. I still really enjoyed it though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Hold the Dark looks like a film perfectly tailored to appeal to my personal phobias and I look forward to it simply for the novelty of being scared by a horror movie after years of desensitization. :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's not really a horror movie tbh but it's got creepy, unsettling vibes for sure. I'd say even Green Room felt more like horror though.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

veni veni veni posted:

It's not really a horror movie tbh but it's got creepy, unsettling vibes for sure. I'd say even Green Room felt more like horror though.

I would definitely classify Green Room as a horror movie. And a drat good one at that.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I loved Green Room and Blue Ruin, but I was just straight bored with Hold The Dark. Interesting scene about halfway through the movie, but otherwise I really didn't like any of "everyone whispers, no one talks like actual people" performances and general plot.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Hold the Dark’s setting and atmosphere is so wonderful that it totally balances out a slower, more ambiguous third act. It’s like a heavier, headier version of Wind River, including one major sequence in particular that was just wild.

I liked that one performance which seems very weird at first blush makes more sense over time. But I think one reason it’s not as satisfying narratively as Saulniers other stuff is it splits the focus between the local chief and Jeffrey Wright, unlike in his other movies we are totally locked into Macon Blair and Anton Yelchin.

But man, I could seriously eat Hold the Darks vibe with a spoon. I also felt like the ending had a major True Detective season 1 vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
HTD felt like Saulnier was spinning his wheels to no real purpose, and it isn't because of the pacing. I just had no idea who I was supposed to care about, nor why characters were doing any of the things they were doing. Pretty disappointing overall.