Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

FirstAidKite posted:

What's bad about it?

terrenblade posted:

:justpost:
I've also been looking at it.

Shitey combat,bland graphics (more on that in a sec) naff story with boring choices.

The graphics in most areas are boring but there is actually one or two areas that have really pretty lighting but they're the only ones,it's not anywhere else in the rest of the game.

poo poo game,fallout 1's better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

My Lovely Horse posted:

I haven't the faintest idea what my desired build is or should be in Dark Souls because the game by design goes out of its way to not explain what a given stat influences, or if I want to sequence-break. I get what you're saying about Original Sin, and for similar reasons I can't really get into stuff like Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny anymore (or the old Infinity Engine games even though I know my way around D&D), I just feel like Dark Souls is a particularly bad counterexample. :)

Dunno, Dark Souls offers an explanation of every stat, at least. Even if you don't have an optimal build, it's hard to gently caress up. Plus you can see what other stats increase when you change a stat, so you have a better feel for what they do

Vitality - hp up
Attunement - something about attunement slots? Sound like magic, probably don't have to worry about it now
Endurance - stamina up, carrying capacity up, cool
Strength - gee I wonder
Dexterity - also increases damage apparently?
Resistance - increases some defenses? All the other stats seem to do that, too, whatever, don't care
Intelligence - for magic, probably
Faith - for miracles, probably

Even if you didn't know anything about builds or what sort of abilities you can aquire, it's pretty obvious that Str/Dex will let you hit stuff harder, End will let you hit stuff more, and Vit will keep you alive longer

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Leal posted:

Valkyria Chronicles 4 really seems to love going "Shoulda known that was gonna happen FUCKER" in its missions. Capture every base, oh when you do that we're gonna throw a boss tank at you, also enemies will spawn from the edge of map now, and if you lose a single flag its mission failed. Oh, grabbed the flags and your army is all split up, and we just spawned guys right on top of your dudes? Shoulda known it was coming, FUCKER.

When you step in the right spots we'll just pull a train right on top of you with 2 gatling canons that will shred any infantry in view. Oh and it'll drop guys off, including tanks. Oh did we drop the train and the tank right on top of your infantry? Shoulda known that was gonna happen, FUCKER.

I don't feel like I hosed up in my planning, I feel like I just hosed up by not reading a strategy guide so I know when these bullshit moments happen. Nothing like spawning a bunch of guys right in front of you when you use up your last command point and can't actually respond to the situation. Only once has the game actually been kind and refreshed my command points when it pulled this poo poo.

I remember that being a problem in previous games. You pretty much have to play until it's revealed what will actually happen during the mission and then reset to play it for real.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah that's just an irritation that seems baked into the strategy RPG genre at this point, which is poo poo. Also Jurassic World Evolution is fun but I'm getting real loving tired of enclosure walls breaking. If it's gonna be constant even at 100% comfort for the dinos then at least let me automate my loving ranger team's repairs of them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Morpheus posted:

What's your general strategy when it comes to fighting enemies? What weapons/powers do you use?

Gloo gun and firearms mostly. So far anyway. And I have the neuromod recipe but never enough poo poo to make one. I am bad at Preying.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BiggerBoat posted:

Gloo gun and firearms mostly. So far anyway. And I have the neuromod recipe but never enough poo poo to make one. I am bad at Preying.

You never took the Necropsy perk?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leal posted:

I don't feel like I hosed up in my planning, I feel like I just hosed up by not reading a strategy guide so I know when these bullshit moments happen. Nothing like spawning a bunch of guys right in front of you when you use up your last command point and can't actually respond to the situation. Only once has the game actually been kind and refreshed my command points when it pulled this poo poo.

Did you play the first one because it pulls an absolutely incredible version of this. Your complaints are why despite loving turn based strategy it can be really hard for me to enjoy the genre because so many games do this to introduce challenge and its maddening.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Barudak posted:

Did you play the first one because it pulls an absolutely incredible version of this. Your complaints are why despite loving turn based strategy it can be really hard for me to enjoy the genre because so many games do this to introduce challenge and its maddening.

yeah, when it pulls a "surprise" move it's difficult to respond to, since everyone except scouts move slower than molasses. Especially the useful classes like Grenadier, Sniper, and Lancer. So when your soldiers are inevitably out of position when the game ninjas some bullshit on you, it can ruin your army, which is inexcusable in a game with non-optional permadeath. It'd be like playing chess, but the enemy could randomly spawn new pieces anywhere on the board at anytime. Challenging does not equal cheating. I could win every round with my eyes closed if I had half the magic powers the enemy gets.

-and yes, war isn't fair, and the enemy cheats just like in a real war. Fine. Just don't pretend to be a strategy game when the dominant strategy is a trial-and-error for each round to see what new "gotcha" the game has in store. Or just accept that counter-cheating by reading a walk-through is a legitimate strategy.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sounds like it doubles down on everything I disliked about the first one. Cool

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Barudak posted:

I played a good amount of the first one, decided I want to LP it then that went nowhere. I recall one mission though where it throws a gigantic gently caress off tank at you when you get close the enemy main base.

My biggest issue is the game spawning dudes right in front of your troops. There is a base where you attack a supply depot and its gimmick is heavily armored trains coming in. If you touch certain spots it will stop your movement, bring in the train and spawn units. Even directly in front of your units. That loving center train, its a pain in the dick all on its own, but I went and restarted because it dropped a tank right in front of my APC, and its cannons absolutely shred the APC while moving. So I couldn't move my APC cause the interception fire from the train would kill it, or damage it so heavily that it may as well just killed it. I couldn't leave my APC in place because the train and tank would just shoot it. And I couldn't move my infantry out of the APC and run away cause the tank and train's interception would destroy them.

So the winning option was to restart, position my units just right so when I hit that arbitrary spot I wont have half my army destroyed due to something I had no control over beyond knowing it was gonna happen. Another example is a mission where you need to rescue your squad mates while also being attacked by a tank squad. There are 2 deploy spots, the northern one has 5 slots to put troops in. The 2 bottom ones? Don't put them there, because 2 tanks start off 10 feet away from the people you put there, including a boss tank who does interception fire as he moves. Thats right, the guy doesn't need to stop and use his one attack to shoot your infantry, he just needs to drive past them. Oh and the enemy moves first that map, so I didn't even get to move before 2 of my guys were gunned down by the boss simply driving past them.

E: Like there was a really solid mission where you are being pursued through the mountains and need to reach the other side of the map, it was so much fun because when the enemy spawned more guys it spawned them on the far south side of the map. Hell it felt like it got easier as I went on because the AI had to spend CP to move its troops from the bottom to my units. Then it follows it up with the train mission.

Leal has a new favorite as of 02:01 on Sep 28, 2018

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
That, coupled with your grade only really being affected by how quickly you complete a mission, really killed my interest in the series.

I’d kill for a game in the same style that actually rewards you for good tactical thinking.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

That, coupled with your grade only really being affected by how quickly you complete a mission, really killed my interest in the series.

I’d kill for a game in the same style that actually rewards you for good tactical thinking.

Yeah, I think you get extra cash/XP for tank or ace kills, but you could end most missions with your entire wiped out and still get an A-rank as long as you did it quickly.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

At the very least I've heard they backed off on the 'scout rush is th eonly way to A rank missions' part. It's a shame too because I really love that style of battle, it's such an interesting way to present a turn based strategy rpg.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I just cheated myself infinite cash since the upgrades are locked behind story progression anyway and I just don't have the drive to grind maps endlessly for whatever like when I was in highschool :effort:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Leal posted:

Valkyria Chronicles 4 really seems to love going "Shoulda known that was gonna happen FUCKER" in its missions.

I abandoned the game real early because of that. I loved everything else about it, but gently caress me... That really sucked. Like, even if they gave you a heads up two turns in advance it'd help? Radio message saying, "Re-enforcements spotted in the East"? Maybe?

Its my exact same issued with them "Kingdom Rush" games. Tower defence game where there's usually two paths to defend. And as soon as things get a little more complex you have to play a level to know what's coming so you can plan ahead and one foot wrong and you're screwed. Hey, the left hand path has had magic weak enemies the first 10 waves so you placed and upgraded mage towers there? Well here comes a swarm of magic resistant bugs. Shoulda built up more bomb towers too! SUCKER!

That's what I hate about a lot of tower defence games. The designers have an intended way to win and it feels like it becomes a game of "figure out what they intended". Rather than something like Defence Grid where there's an ideal set-up, obviously, but at the same time you can beat levels in so many ways.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Samuringa posted:

You never took the Necropsy perk?

Apparently not. Most of my points have been spent on combat stuff, stealth, health and inventory slots. I think I'm approaching it too much as a traditional FPS and not thinking outside the box enough by taking advantage of everything. There's just SO MANY options and ways to go with a build.

I like the challenge though so it's all good and if I get too overmatched I can bump it down to easy. Cool game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
In thinking about strategy games, especially single-player campaigns in such, there's two ways you could approach the design: either organize yourself as things come, or be ready for everything the map's going to throw at you.

XCOM's exactly what I think of with the former, and I think Valkyria Chronicles does remarkably well at the latter, but it's not quite getting there and I'd love to see it find a way to fully embrace that. Really nail down that it's a game about executing exactly what you know are the right steps, rather than going in blind. Like every map is a puzzle. There's not really a game like that to my knowledge, especially not in the 'squad strategy' subgenre.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Sep 28, 2018

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Frozen Synapse is pretty close, lots of the first game's single player levels are basically straight up puzzles, particularly towards the end of the campaign.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Drunken Baker posted:

That's what I hate about a lot of tower defence games. The designers have an intended way to win and it feels like it becomes a game of "figure out what they intended". Rather than something like Defence Grid where there's an ideal set-up, obviously, but at the same time you can beat levels in so many ways.

This is because a lit of tower defense games are primarily mobile titles and a tactic free-to-play mobile games love to do is have some difficulty spike that is impossible to plan for in the hopes that when you die sunk cost fallacy will make you be willing to pay for the privelege of not losing all the experience points you had gained do far or getting to continue instead of having to restart the level.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yakuza Kiwami 2 keeps saying “you’ve unlocked (heat move)” and sucks at explaining that you then need to go buy it with exp points. The remake of the first one had the exact same problem, you’d think they would have fixed it by now.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BiggerBoat posted:

Apparently not. Most of my points have been spent on combat stuff, stealth, health and inventory slots. I think I'm approaching it too much as a traditional FPS and not thinking outside the box enough by taking advantage of everything. There's just SO MANY options and ways to go with a build.

I like the challenge though so it's all good and if I get too overmatched I can bump it down to easy. Cool game.

You can definitely beat the game as a traditional FPS - in fact there's a trophy to use only human powers, which meant i was running through levels with a superpowered shotgun doing incredible damage to everything I ran across.

Glad you're still really enjoying it, it's certainly one of my favourite games despite some pacing flaws. I guess my suggestion would be to try upgrading guns (if you aren't already) and remember that shooting enemies before they are well aware of you grants a damage boost and has a good chance of knocking them to the ground, allowing you to just wail on them.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Yakuza Kiwami 2 is really good so far, but the enemy configs that try to do more than just “be a pile of dudes to beat up” are kinda dumb.

There’s been a few parts with weak enemies with ranged weapons that you have to chuck bricks at along with a gaggle of goons, and they’re just kind of silly. Do barely any damage, require you to throw stuff at them to get a KO, and they’re just kind of standing there like idiots the whole time.

They’re not as bad as the “huge guy with chair” who shows up and stands in one place though. They were in Kiwami and 0 too, but the new combat system makes taking them down a boring slog. Punch, back off, hope you don’t get ragdolled by the chair, repeat until done. It’s not hard to do, just tedious, and they always screw up the frenzied flow of the segments they show up in.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Kiwami 2 does away with the heat action specific to destroying Huge Guy With Chair? Weird move on their part.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Kiwami 2 does away with the heat action specific to destroying Huge Guy With Chair? Weird move on their part.

It might still be in here but they did some weird stuff in regards to earning and unlocking heat actions. That said, I do really like how 0, 1, and 2 all have just enough variation in the combat and level up schemes that they don’t feel like the same exact game every time.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Unless it is very well hidden, there is no more Heat Action to take out the furniture guy, you gotta plink away his health.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Then what's even the point of HGWC? I thought the whole idea with them was to teach you that Heat Actions are Good.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
OpenRCT2 is a really nice way to replay Rollercoaster Tycoon games. I wouldn't have anything to complain about, except the game apparently runs at a different refresh rate than 60hz. The longer I play it, the more my monitor starts flickering. After an hour, the display looks like somewhere between an interlaced video and a damaged CRT. Even worse, it persists for a while after closing the game. I can't even use 3rd party software to force the game to run at 60hz because it doesn't help.

So I can't play a game I've been having a lot of fun with because I'm half afraid it's going to damage a piece of equipment I can't afford to replace. :mad:

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
maybe i've just been overplaying it but graveyard keeper seems to have about two tracks on it's soundtrack and that feels like chinese water torture after a while

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Then what's even the point of HGWC? I thought the whole idea with them was to teach you that Heat Actions are Good.

Showing off Kiryu’s ragdoll physics maybe? Getting whacked by the chair’s at least kind of entertaining because it turns into Saint’s Row for five seconds.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ulex minor posted:

maybe i've just been overplaying it but graveyard keeper seems to have about two tracks on it's soundtrack and that feels like chinese water torture after a while

60 Seconds had this exact problem as well.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whoever came up with the ducking mechanic in Valkyria Chronicles can choke on a bag of dicks. Its annoying enough having my sniper shoot a guy from behind, have an accuracy up buff proc and have the fucker duck. Its another when the same mother fucker ducks under another 5 shots.

Even worse is if you get fed up with them ducking and you aim low and they of course duck, even though you're shooting them straight in the face the attack still does 0 damage.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Are you telling me there are people ducking bullets in this game?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Sorry, did we also not mention that despite being a nominally normal WW1 era strategy game one of your soldiers has the power to go super saiyin and shoot lazers?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I mean, I know that part, but the rest of them are normal soldiers!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

Wow, they still have that moronic methodology? poo poo, Red Alert 2 realised that having actual rewards tied to how quickly you complete a level was boring and dumb and just had flavour text at the end of the level to reflect how quickly you beat it. (Which I only realized later when replaying them because I was obviously way better than when I was a kid playing them)

The new Spider Man has the same sorta Ubisoft mapgame challenges every open world game has these days but the absolute shittiest of them are the Challenge ones because they require fairly good precision in a game where Spider Man, to put it bluntly, all too often controls like he's shooting the webs out of his rear end and not his hands.

The only real challenge in them is whether you feel like memorizing the path the drones fly so you have time to fight controls really unsuited to fine control (Unlike those in Batman or hell, even Infamous) or hope that you go perfectly between the buildings in the bomb ones because literally the only thing that matters there is time.

It's irritating and frustrating too because you need those challenge tokens to upgrade your equipment and if you're bad at them, you have to do even more of them to do the upgrades.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Assassin's Creed: What are the best and worst maps?

We have Damascus, Acre, Jerusalem, Florence, Tuscany, Forli, Venice, Rome, Istanbul, Cappadocia, Boston, New York, The Frontier, The West Indies, River Valley, North Atlantic, Paris, and London to choose from the pre-reboot era.

While 90 percent of the gameplay of 1 is just a garbage grind the cities are a classic. It feels special to manhandle your way up the Dome of the Rock during the Crusades because every other game set in the same-time is a hands-off RTS.

Istanbul/Constantinople was total-balls like the rest of the game. Just an endless crowded district copy-pasted over and over.

London did not need to have 700 collectibles or 60 identical gang-warfare activities. It felt like the first game all over again.

The only offensive thing about the West Indies was having to come to a dead-stop for collectibles.

Boston truly embodied the essence of it's game; a parkour-simulator set on a perfectly flat city of low-lying buildings.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Samuringa posted:

Oh no

They can also duck mortar shots. HAH, YOUR EXPLOSIVE IS USELESS AGAINST ME LAYING PRONE AT GROUND ZERO OF THE EXPLOSION!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Frontier, London and Egypt are where it's at for me in regards to AC. Frontier-wise most people really didn't like 3, but running through the forests and playing Predator in the trees worked great for me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Boston truly embodied the essence of it's game; a parkour-simulator set on a perfectly flat city of low-lying buildings.
Going from Il Duomo, the Vatican, and Hagia Sofia to the Old North Church was a bit of a step down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Morpheus posted:

What's your general strategy when it comes to fighting enemies? What weapons/powers do you use?

I'm a bit late on this, but the fully upgraded combat focus skill wrecks so many faces you'll wonder why there is anything else. Combat focus level 1 is kinda okay. Combat focus level 2 is insane compared to level 1, and Combat focus level 3 makes level 2 look like child's play- you turn into the Flash for like 20 seconds except every pull of the trigger kills something, it feels like cheating it's so obscenely powerful. Once you get that skill the only drawback is that it only lasts for 20 seconds, but once you get that skill there is no combat in the game that takes longer than 20 seconds to complete.