Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Hot Diggity! posted:

Zimmer's scheme has been figured out. Lots of pre snap motion and play action kills it. Doesn't help that the defense isn't winning the one on ones as much, but coaches have started to catch on

There's a little of this but in my opinion what happened last night was the Vikings were absolutely outclassed on the line of scrimmage. Like you mentioned, guys throughout the defense were not winning their one on ones. Goff barely faced a whiff of pressure the whole night, just sat back in an enormous pocket and picked apart the secondary. You also saw it on run plays where the defensive line was being shifted easily allowing Gurley to pick up 5 to 10 yards almost every play.

Griffen being out is obviously part of this, but they need to get more production out of their D line. It shouldn't fall apart just because someone isn't playing. The Rams offensive line is very good this year, that's true, but the Vikings D line should be pretty good too and they need to start showing it a bit more.

I'm not that worried about the Vikings, they should still be the best team in the division and I believe they'll start winning games like it soon. Easily 7-10 wins left on that schedule, but yeah they would've loved a better start I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Hot Diggity! posted:

The BJ Raji pick six game. It owned.

Rodgers' concussion in that game was the first of the four serious injuries he's suffered in his career; oddly enough, all of them happened in games against the Bears or Vikings.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/thelionswire/status/1045767804681678849?s=19

Ziggy out with injury, I'm shocked. :geno:

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

as soon as he signs with another team he'll magically be healthy and ill be mad as hell.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

as soon as he signs with another team he'll magically be healthy and ill be mad as hell.

lol yeah I thought the exact same thing.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

He gone after this year unless we getting him cheap. No full time pay for part time play.

And Davis is questionable? Yes, but what about his injury status? :classiclol:

They might just be a better team with him not playing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Styles Bitchley posted:

He gone after this year unless we getting him cheap. No full time pay for part time play.

And Davis is questionable? Yes, but what about his injury status? :classiclol:

They might just be a better team with him not playing.

Considering our linebacker depth I, uh, disagree.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Does that mean if ziggy goes next season that the Lions only had Suh, Fairley, and Ansah for their rookie deals? Yeesh

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

nerve posted:

Does that mean if ziggy goes next season that the Lions only had Suh, Fairley, and Ansah for their rookie deals? Yeesh

And Cliff Avril!

Martin Mayhew was not a successful general manager.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

And Cliff Avril!

Martin Mayhew was not a successful general manager.

Lions kinda dodged a bullet with Fairley and mayhaps Ansah too?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ansah is gone the minute the season is over. There's no way they keep a guy made of balsa wood and pay him big bucks anymore.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Hizawk posted:

Lions kinda dodged a bullet with Fairley and mayhaps Ansah too?

Eh, Fairley had health problems, but he still would have been nice to have in 2015 and 2016 when our defensive line turned into jello.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah the combination of letting suh and fairley walk seemed to destroy the line and let opposing runners have a field day with the defense. I don't have any stats, only my anecdotal evidence watching games where I remember them being gashed by every running back they played against.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
If you want to know why Stafford got sacked so often last year:

https://twitter.com/kmeinke/status/1045767798029512704

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It was probably the right call to let Fairley go, but I will always fondly remember the time we were playing the Bears, they got a touchdown in the 4th quarter and were going for the game tying 2 point conversion, and Fairley blew the play up in the backfield and did a fat man high step all the way to midfield.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Considering our linebacker depth I, uh, disagree.

I have more faith than literally anyone else on the squad at this point than Davis. Harold, Kennard, and JRM have all been at least competent.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/SeedsofJake/status/1045121210047242240?s=20

Just let Rodgers be the offensive coordinator at this point.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

SKULL.GIF posted:

Remember when we did the constant no huddle offense and how effective it was? I now choose to believe it was Rodgers passive-aggressively taking the offense away from fat Mike.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SKULL.GIF posted:

He was calling the plays back in the 2011 Matt Flynn game against Detroit, right? poo poo you guys may as well, it's not like he could do any worse.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
As a fan of an NFC North team that isn't the Packers, keep Fat Mike in charge of as much as possible for as long as possible.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

nerve posted:

dont forget about stephen tulloch lol.

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME

Acebuckeye13 posted:

He was calling the plays back in the 2011 Matt Flynn game against Detroit, right? poo poo you guys may as well, it's not like he could do any worse.

I want the first simultaneous head coach and QB

For what it’s worth, combining head coach and GM duties seems to have been a failure across the league. Let’s try something new

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Big Jay Cutler posted:

I want the first simultaneous head coach and QB

For what it’s worth, combining head coach and GM duties seems to have been a failure across the league. Let’s try something new

Fine, but only if you’re stuck with them after a Colt McCoy-esque shake and bake treatment. And yet, even he wouldn’t call a swinging gate like Washington did.

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME

Thaddius the Large posted:

Fine, but only if you’re stuck with them after a Colt McCoy-esque shake and bake treatment. And yet, even he wouldn’t call a swinging gate like Washington did.

Psh Rodgers has been chemically shaken after they started giving him Brett Favre’s vitamins

Look at his eyeballs in that interview, man’s full of Gatorade ice pills

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
The Vikings will lose both games to the Bears.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The Vikings will lose both games to the Bears.

Tell us again how bad their offensive line is.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

SirPablo posted:

Which one?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I honestly don't understand why they don't give him the reins. He was calling the plays in the second half of the Bears game that they came back from, wasn't he?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Leon Einstein posted:

I honestly don't understand why they don't give him the reins. He was calling the plays in the second half of the Bears game that they came back from, wasn't he?

Because it would admit that Fat Mike and/or Philbin can’t do their job properly and are unneeded.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

SirPablo posted:

Exceedingly

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1046113486537777152

god I miss him so much

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Still crazy he retired at 30. He wont get into the Hall likely because receiver stats are so blown up and his career was relatively short but so so so good

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

He made the right call. There is no reason to break yourself for any team but especially not the lions. I miss watching him too though that dude was electric.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I watched the highlights from his 2011 game against the Raiders the other day. He was just so freaking good. :(

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

I'm glad you're still getting use out of this since it's not allowed in UKMT anymore

adaz posted:

Still crazy he retired at 30. He wont get into the Hall likely because receiver stats are so blown up and his career was relatively short but so so so good

My only Lions jersey is a Calvin Johnson one I bought after he retired because that meant he couldn't leave or betray me

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Optimus Nine will recreate Golladay in Calvin Johnson's image.

ALL HAIL GALVATRON

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

adaz posted:

Nah I think he will get into the hall. Consistently top 2 WR in the league for years and he has the Single Season receiving record.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

OxySnake posted:

Nah I think he will get into the hall. Consistently top 2 WR in the league for years and he has the Single Season receiving record.

The fact that he did it all while being on countless garbage-rear end Lions teams should really mean something as well.

Like, teams would gameplan to shut down Calvin because he was literally the entire Lions offense most years. And they couldn't.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
There's clips of him just beating triple teams on jump balls and it's honestly impossible to do anything besides hope he mis times his jump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Golladay is named Babytron.