Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Someone bought me this game to make up the numbers in their heist crew and I'm the only one of our group who hasn't bought any businesses. To be fair, the game never stops prompting you to shell out on all that horseshit so I can totally understand how someone might think it was the point of the game rather than just loving around. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

davebo posted:

If he's just grinding stuff solo he should probably be doing the Car Import/Export stuff instead of supplies, or am I wrong on that?

Wait, so all us LLJK pc people aren't active enough and the solution is to splinter it into a separate group? Why don't any pc people who want to be active just join the existing one and get it active again? I still haven't gotten a chance to play the new hunting pack stuff.

Yeah that part doesnt make much sense. If you can have 999 in the crew and only 100 have played in the last 3 months... Start at the back and cut the last 200-300 to make plenty of room and then do a membership drive on the forums here or something to bring in some new/active blood? I don't dig through the social club crew stats stuff much to see what more realistic numbers look like, so maybe Im way off and theres a bunch that play under the LLJK flag that I dont have as friends, or on console, or whatever. Of friends, I think i have 90-100 on my list and most nights I see the same 3-5 that are active(in the discord and thread here) and another 1-2 LLJK in lobbys that I presume are just doing they own thing

As far as grinding for the sake of grinding, the person above may be doing it to raise money for %THING% or just to make money or maybe thats all they know and haven't branched out or been exposed to stuff like IE, funmodes like hunting pack/derby/rpg. If they see a new mode come out and jump in and try and it ends up something dumb(to me anyway) like the battle royale one or something, they might say gently caress this is stupid, im going back to what I know.
I'm in a position of never needing to worry about money, but if one of my side quest goals necessitates some crate grinding, then by gum I'm gonna do that till I meet my goal. For a while I was looking to legitimately score some of the rare vehicles(hearse, thelma & louise, beach blazer, etc) so for the hearse for example, one way to get it is with a crate mission in the cemetery. I ran a bunch of those until I got it. For a while I was doing a ton of IE just to stockpile all of the collections at once. About a week after getting the last needed one, double IE sales came up so I sold the hell out of them. Ive been slowly working to fill it back up to that point again
Currently, theres a glitch that allows you to buy multiple 'rare' crate cargo, so my stupid side quest is to fill an entire small warehouse with nothing but 16 rare crates. I think I'm at 8 now, but I already had a couple singles before the glitch happened, so the most I can get is 14 unless I sell and start over. I might just get to 12(filling one whole wall) and say gently caress it, it's been a long stretch since the last rare call came, I'm at about 75 missions since then. Once I get those, I will likely swear off of crates for a long time lol

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
If more active players want to join LLJK then room can easily be made for you, Just ask for an invite in the crew thread. :)

I also think a lot of the reason a lot of people aren't interested in joining the crew is that it adds nothing that being on a friends list doesn't already do (other than the logo for cars and clothes etc). Also joining on crew members has always been notoriously been buggy and less reliable than just joining on friends.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

As far as grinding for the sake of grinding, the person above may be doing it to raise money for %THING% or just to make money or maybe thats all they know and haven't branched out or been exposed to stuff like IE, funmodes like hunting pack/derby/rpg.

Oh, the hunting pack. There was a 2x XP/Cash weekend for that a few weeks ago. I know because he did back to back "BLOW UP THE TRUCK" game for eight hours a day for the exact duration of the weekend and hasn't touched it since.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

FallinInTheBlak posted:

If more active players want to join LLJK then room can easily be made for you, Just ask for an invite in the crew thread. :)

I also think a lot of the reason a lot of people aren't interested in joining the crew is that it adds nothing that being on a friends list doesn't already do (other than the logo for cars and clothes etc). Also joining on crew members has always been notoriously been buggy and less reliable than just joining on friends.

No tangibles but there can be a bit of intimidation factor when you see several same crew people in the lobby

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh, the hunting pack. There was a 2x XP/Cash weekend for that a few weeks ago. I know because he did back to back "BLOW UP THE TRUCK" game for eight hours a day for the exact duration of the weekend and hasn't touched it since.

DEDICATION 💪

Also

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Happy Birthday, GTAV! Can't believe it's been 150 years already

E: but seriously it sounds like your housemate is gonna turn into a puddle soon.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I just finished the doomsday heist finale on the first attempt with two 13 year old pubbies from Australia. Took us 2.5 hours since two of us were under level 45, and we were all going to quit if we failed it the last time, but nothing beats the euphoria of finally completing those heists. Now I never want to do them again.

Crazy to see that only 3% of xboners have done that when it's been out for a while. We went in completely blind, with no walkthrough videos etc beforehand. I gave them 40% each.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Its funny because once you beat them the first time theyre really easy to beat over and over. Sorry youre on Xbox!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

It’s funny because once you beat them the first time they’re really easy to beat over and over. Sorry you’re on Xbox!

Yeah there was nothing too difficult about the mechanics but the dudes coming from every direction and frequent issues with sticking to the wrong cover wall made us fail lots of times. There's quite a bit of input lag on console (also played on PC and ps4).

I think Pacific Standard was a much better final heist personally.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I still haven't bought a facility yet, has it been out long enough that you can find people who know what they are doing to help you through it or do you need dedicated folks who know what's up to not instantly die

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I did the entire thing with pubbies and just friended anyone who wasn't total garbage. One guy helped me through the majority. Finished act 3 with the above mentioned 13 year olds so it can't be that hard.

I didn't get stuck on anything on doomsday until the finale, and still did that with the first group. The original heists were a lot more annoying, at least five years later.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

lol I just got an Xbox live "enforcement" email for undoubtedly messaging horrible things like "thanks, rear end" to people who intentionally sabotaged heists.

Although enforcement.xbox.com says I have a "perfect record."

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

lol I just got an Xbox live "enforcement" email for undoubtedly messaging horrible things like "thanks, rear end" to people who intentionally sabotaged heists.

The future looks bleak.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Xbox live enforcement is absolute garbage.

Not GTA related but I once got banned for a week for messaging someone and saying "Lmao gg, too bad you had to backdoor to end the game", yet I've reported voice messages of people saying that they want to kill me and never got a notice that action was taken as you're supposed to get. Last time I checked it said that my reputation needed work too :shrug:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

FallinInTheBlak posted:

Xbox live enforcement is absolute garbage.

Not GTA related but I once got banned for a week for messaging someone and saying "Lmao gg, too bad you had to backdoor to end the game", yet I've reported voice messages of people saying that they want to kill me and never got a notice that action was taken as you're supposed to get. Last time I checked it said that my reputation needed work too :shrug:

I gotta wonder if Xbox Live enforcement is handled the same way as Facebook's moderation.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

I gotta wonder if Xbox Live enforcement is handled the same way as Facebook's moderation.

Apparently for serious reports all Xbox reports are reviewed by a person, but the bulk of it is just algorithms. Get reported a bunch of times in a short period? Ban.

Their appeals process is the most hilarious thing as well, an infraction can never be removed but you can dispute. In order to dispute you have to answer a quiz on xbox live etiquette, if you get a single question wrong then sucks to be you - now you can't dispute.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I think I might have found the greatest thing in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H29M0oI_kE

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

I think I might have found the greatest thing in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H29M0oI_kE

This would be a perfect event for a PS4 playlist, especially the ones we were in a couple years ago.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Just starting out even though I'm five years late. I've read the OP on starting out but man, the game gives you a bunch of "xxx is available" and text messages from people for poo poo to do, I don't know where to get started.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Checking things out again after a couple years, that's kinda my reaction too. Only for me only about half the stuff is new. At least you can instantly spawn certain vehicles now. Looks like they removed having to tap semi-automatic weapons to get the maximum fire rate. Shame, I had a macro for that so it gave me a slight advantage, but I can't blame Rockstar making the game better. OP was very helpful, and an hour of youtube videos on what was added since 2016. I'll be picking carefully the most time efficient businesses to run through & solo. The lack of goon activity is an issue though, might have to piggyback off better pubbies and some communities. My real intention was simply to gold the singleplayer missions, since this game is fun and deserves some more playing. There's no way I'll have time (or probably inclination) to do all the grindy stuff that was added, at best I'll be picking the most interesting. Still see hackers blowing people up constantly even inside apartments, part of why I stopped playing in 2016. There were banwaves of course. Do people still get away with cheating for moderate amounts of money (say, sub $1 million per day) these days? Fortunately I didn't lose any vehicles, even though I got some cheated money. Also a hacker filled up my inventory with all the ammo types that existed in the game at that time and I still have that which is nice.

I'm Dyacorum on social club (formerly Versocrity), in homage to the Indonesian bat Hipposideros Dyacorum, which I deemed suitably obscure.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Node posted:

Just starting out even though I'm five years late. I've read the OP on starting out but man, the game gives you a bunch of "xxx is available" and text messages from people for poo poo to do, I don't know where to get started.

Phone stuff, and various pop-up opportunities:

* Pretty much unless you have $1+ million in the bank, just ignore all the Lester, LJT, Agent 14, Paige calls for the "new" stuff.
All of the new properties and businesses, figure on around a million bucks minimum for the base property- the CEO office, motorcycle clubhouse, bunker, hangar, facility, nightclub.
Some of these (hangar and bunker) you can start right in on missions to accumulate goods that can be sold.
Some(CEO, clubhouse) you then need to buy an additional business or warehouse for $200k-$1mil roughly so you can begin the money making
The nightclub, wont start making you money unless you already have a motorcycle clubhouse and at least one business
The facility opens up the new heists

* Other calls that you get are for the super vehicles- there's the MOC semi truck(bunker), Avenger plane(facility), Terrorbyte truck(nightclub). These range to a couple million, and require having the property first. These are calls that can be ignored, I'm not sure if you start getting hammered on these if you don't own the place already, but R* so you probably do get those calls

* The only two instances I can think of that will call you with an actual opportunity are for CEO warehouses and rare special crates, and the nightclub and special celebrity pickups. Obviously you need to own either of those before those calls will come, so they arent something that'll get mixed into your phone spam if you are just starting out. Oh, also I geuss if you have a warehouse and are getting raided, you get called, but theres also on-screen instructions(RESCUE THE PRINCESS!) so you can't really miss it if you ignore the call

* For calls from the minor NPCs like lester, ron, simeon, etc, often if you use their services once it will stop their calls

* Depending on the lobbies you get into you may also see a ton of messages that ABC is delivering supplies and XYZ are stealing a car and such, and it will tell you explicitly to go gently caress with them. If you're jsut playing and doing your own thing, these can go on ignore too. The "reward" you get for destroying something like this is only $1000-$2000. The bigger reward is ruining someones day, which may be priceless sometimes

* Purple screen challenges are free-for-all. THese are the ones like longest wheelie, fly low to the ground, etc. These are good for a few bucks and RP, a little diversion from normal activities. They also give you what is needed- for liek a wheelie challenge, a ton of bikes will pop up on the map. For flying challenges, planes and copters will appear

* Business Battles are also free-for-all. Its usually a mini mission like go steal a specific car from a moving truck, or ambush someone and take their poo poo, and then return it to a location.If you already have some of the propertys like warehouses and nightclub, then winning this will add to your stock(that can be sold later). If you don't have these propertys however, you can still play it and the prize is $5000-$10k? so its not bad, again a diversion from plain ol grinding

As a new or poor, those last two are pretty decent to keep an eye out for, to get a few easy bucks and RP, all the other calls and popups are pretty safe to ignore

grumbster
Apr 19, 2004
Lord of the Fjord

Node posted:

If you haven't done it already, look out for the treasure hunt email. It cointains a black and white photo of an in game location to go to. This leads to a challenge that pays out 250 grand, enough to get the cheapest high-end apartment, which in turn lets you start hosting heists.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

grumbster posted:

If you haven't done it already, look out for the treasure hunt email. It cointains a black and white photo of an in game location to go to. This leads to a challenge that pays out 250 grand, enough to get the cheapest high-end apartment, which in turn lets you start hosting heists.

Oh yeah! There is a second treasure hunt as well that has another 250k bonus. I believe that one comes as texts from Maude (capture or kill 5 targets, to get the stone axe. kill 25 with the axe and then get $250k)

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Also the flight school pays out pretty well the first time for a handfull of missions you can bang out pretty quick if you are ok at flying.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Finishing flight school is worth it anyway to max out your flying skill.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Lol didnt they put that jerk in there so people wouldnt have an op sniping platform? Haha its funny to think balance was orginally a thing they considered because if you look at it now you cant even squint and see it. It doesnt really bother me its juat funny how that played out.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

DogonCrook posted:

Lol didnt they put that jerk in there so people wouldnt have an op sniping platform? Haha its funny to think balance was orginally a thing they considered because if you look at it now you cant even squint and see it. It doesnt really bother me its juat funny how that played out.

Wat

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

DogonCrook posted:

Wrong thread?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I though the helicopters jerked around so you couldnt have someone in the back sniping people or be too accurate with helicopter guns but if that isnt a balance decision it makes even less sense. Like why do the helicopters jerk around randomly then?

If you do the flightschool it says it will stop but completing flight school doesnt actually change it. When i looked that up way back in the day people were saying it was removed.

E: by removed i mean they removed the smoother flying from completing flight school.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 27, 2018

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

grumbster posted:

has anyone tried a stone hatchet only heist run?

the way you can chew through npc's with that thing is hilariously satisfying.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

Is the stone hatchet the best melee weapon in the game? It seems to be a one-hit kill in my experience, even against the cops. They gave me a 5 star review after I killed a bunch of them with it, plenty of attention.

For anyone who uses macro software to quickly access things, the current codes are (for freeroam mode):

Bodyarmor: Interaction menu, down, enter, down, enter, up, up, up, enter, esc, esc, esc. (For Superheavy armor).

Passive mode: interaction menu, up, enter, esc, esc, esc.

Snacks: Interaction menu, down, enter, down, down, enter, enter. (can add a couple more enters here, and perhaps skip esc, esc, esc as you often want to stay in the menu).

I'll also add in my experience, the interaction menu takes a moment to load, but once it does it stays loaded for several minutes. So in combat, I'll quickly open and close it manually, 'priming' it to be activated immediately. I've come to prefer this over adding delays between keystrokes, the interaction menu takes as long as a second to load at times.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 28, 2018

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

Was having trouble maxing Strength in Singleplayer, punching people was slow as gently caress, cows and pigs too, what really works is getting on top of a bus or big truck and stomping repeatedly. The requirement for increasing strength is punching a live target, be it a car with a person inside or a person. So if the driver leaves you need to mount a new car. Was pretty funny, brought back memories of doing that in the back of pickup trucks in GTA 3, like kicking a horse to make it go faster. I took Franklin's strength from halfway to max in literally 15 minutes this way.

edit: Stomping on buses doesn't build strength in Online. Definitely works in SP though as of Sept 2018.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 29, 2018

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A podcast and Peer Pressure, running up and down the boardwalk punching people.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

Yeah I used some exploitable missions on the boardwalk for multiplayer, it definitely helped. But then I knew of nothing close to as efficient for SP for a long time so I put it off (Cops showing up was the problem). But I tested and it doesn't work in Online.

I love it when I get rewarded for 'good behavior' while on a psychotic killing spree. It's just Rockstar's reward for not getting reported or cheating but it's pretty funny.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 29, 2018

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

mutata posted:

A podcast and Peer Pressure, running up and down the boardwalk punching people.

Did this for the stone hatchet quest too, even more fun.

How does max health work though? I just got the notification for 40/100 at level 50 or so, but the internet says it goes up in line with your rank.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Did this for the stone hatchet quest too, even more fun.

How does max health work though? I just got the notification for 40/100 at level 50 or so, but the internet says it goes up in line with your rank.

it really likes to notify you every time you level up at whatever the last bar you filled was. Levels 40-59 get used to seeing that 40/100 notification and I bet you'll never guess what you'll see at 60-79

does this stop once you reach 100? no

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I'm just super glad that it reminds me every time some people log on that they are 50% completed for flying under the bridges

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Nothing like the "you are holding more than $5,000 which can be stolen by other players" notification when the game has literally never worked that way

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ElwoodCuse posted:

the game has literally never worked

It's been a few years, Is PS4 still public-lobby-simulator where you join and the game just never starts 2/3 times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ElwoodCuse posted:

Nothing like the "you are holding more than $5,000 which can be stolen by other players" notification when the game has literally never worked that way

send muggers after everybody