Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Prav posted:

this is really all you need to know to understand why HR is the way it is

I narcissistically asked for this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

BattleHamster posted:

Art Director for the new games

Dante from the DmC reboot is the likeness of the director of the game

and Gordon Freeman is the co-founder of Valve (the one who isn't Gabe Newell)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BattleHamster posted:

Art Director for the new games

You've got it backwards, he was made up to look like Jensen as a goof while they were promoting the game which is why there are several pictures of him conspicuously posed next to artwork of Jensen.

If you look at his regular pictures like in the commentary track for Human Revolution he looks completely different.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm amused his name literally translates to "Prettyhead".

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You are not the only one. It makes me glad to have a really boring last name.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The first Deus Ex is very much a game of it's time, plot wise. Being that post-cold war but pre-9/11 era in America where we were obsessed with conspiracy theories, aliens, New World Order, one world government, ect.
Men in Black, Enemy of the State, the Xfiles, ect are all themes / tropes that Deus Ex harps on.

I feel like people today are more paranoid than back then, particularly in the last 5 years or so, although the conspiracy theories that fly around aren't quite as absurdly far-fetched (usually).

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Maybe it was the French-Canadian accents but I can't fault the HR devs. That commentary was adorable :allears:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gtrmp posted:

Dante from the DmC reboot is the likeness of the director of the game

and Gordon Freeman is the co-founder of Valve (the one who isn't Gabe Newell)

Gordon Freeman was modeled to look like blue from bluesnews.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Whenever people talk about how great "The Arrival" was, I deliberately confuse it with the one from 1996 and talk at great lengths about it.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Do the Jensen games ever have you cross paths with a young Howard Strong?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

El_Elegante posted:

Do the Jensen games ever have you cross paths with a young Howard Strong?
I don't believe he ever shows up in game. It's possible that he's mentioned in text or something.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I've been playing GMDX and whenever I try to finish the Gas Station mission, the screen cuts to black during the helicopter cutscene and crashes. Does anyone know a way to fix or bypass this? The map skip console command spawns you with nothing so I really don't want to do that unless I absolutely 100% have to. Is there a way to force skip the cutscene?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

GMDX Hardcore mode is some loving insanity. I can't even get off Liberty Island.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Solaris 2.0 posted:

There was brief scene in Human Revolution where you saw people being herded into FEMA camps, which could have had a really interesting thing to say about where our society was headed.

Then in MD they went all in on "AUG LIVES MATTER" and, welp.

I'm in the middle of playing MD, and this seems a lazy critique. I've found it genuinely claustrophobic and horrible feeling the claws of a pogrom close around you and the people you're talking to, and going from Prague to Golem City is well done.

e: vv

Guy Mann posted:

Mankind Divided is really more about immigration and refugees than racism, the driving force of a lot of the game's setting and plot is augs being displaced after the world turned on them for going nuts at the end of HR and figuring out what to do with them, it even has "papers, please" checkpoints between areas and an entire aug ghetto as a level. It's muddled and has the X-Men issue of the augs actually being demonstrably dangerous by wont of existing but I feel like that one Aug Lives Matter piece of concept art just made everyone turn off their brains and dismiss everything that came afterward.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 16, 2018

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

dreadmojo posted:

I'm in the middle of playing MD, and this seems a lazy critique. I've found it genuinely claustrophobic and horrible feeling the claws of a pogrom close around you and the people you're talking to, and going from Prague to Golem City is well done.

I replayed a bit of the game recently and I agree, I was being too harsh in my earlier post. I still think Human Revolution was superior, however. If only because once we get to Deus Ex, augs in society seem like it is a total non-issue. It's never really brought up in that game. MD almost feels like it is in a different universe, which colored my initial perceptions of the game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I replayed a bit of the game recently and I agree, I was being too harsh in my earlier post. I still think Human Revolution was superior, however. If only because once we get to Deus Ex, augs in society seem like it is a total non-issue. It's never really brought up in that game. MD almost feels like it is in a different universe, which colored my initial perceptions of the game.

Yeah, that's a bit of a disjunct. MD had a very clunky opening too, which didn't help - Tom 'Gunpoint' Francis skewered it very well here (comparing it with the far superior Prey opener).

quote:

Mankind Divided
Non-interactive intro cut scene.
Starts with a news report about a terrorist incident, layered over footage of unknown men attacking other unknown men. Same incident? Seemingly not. Same men? Maybe. What’s this incident? Don’t know yet. Trying to tell two stories at once, and both are just ‘terrorists do bad things’ so far.
Long, talky briefing, all tell and no show. We’re going after an arms dealer. He’s selling to some faction. One team is gonna do one thing, I’m gonna… block? An entrance? To keep the Jinn out? Aren’t the Jinn already there? Isn’t that who the deal is with?
Also interact with some gizmo in some way that’ll save? Our undercover agent? Why, how, which one was he again?
Long, unusually difficult stretch of gameplay with no further explanation. What I do in the level seems unrelated to what the briefing said: I’m not stopping the Jinn getting in, I’m moving through a level beating them up.
Peter Serafinowicz and I keep calling each other up to be assholes to each other. I don’t like either of us.
Get to the deal. Bad guys are there but other bad guys kill them. I must unplug a helicopter!
I don’t know who the gold mask guys are but it doesn’t seem interesting or important. Some bad guys killed some other bad guys over some weapons. The new ones are mysterious, but to be honest I knew next to nothing about the folks they just killed either. They’re both just violent people who want weapons, that’s all the plot that’s been communicated after about 30 minutes of talking and fighting.
Long credits sequence of disjointed news reports and symbolic imagery.
Long conspirator chat that doesn’t clarify anything.
Game suddenly goes back into intro mode, with a long non-interactive talky sequence arriving in Prague. The game’s biggest twist so far – I’m a double agent! – is never really mentioned, only indirectly implied by the nature of this conversation about Interpol logistics.
Another inciting incident! An explosion! It doesn’t reveal or relate to anything else so far.
In the third of three intros, you wake up in your apartment. Some of the augs you didn’t choose are disabled now but some aren’t and you can’t see which ones because that screen is broken – until you go and do a mission that’s hard and annoying without knowing what your augs are.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 17, 2018

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Installed 9.0 of GMDX and want another playthrough on hardcord; what's this?

It's on the dock at the start.

nvm, it's the save points for hardcord

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Anyone know if there's a way to get the old Mac port working? I've got the itch to play again but only have a Mac available these days and don't really want to set up a dual boot just for one game.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

Anyone know if there's a way to get the old Mac port working? I've got the itch to play again but only have a Mac available these days and don't really want to set up a dual boot just for one game.

Solution: Set up dual boot for many games.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
that port required OS Classic virtual environment when I first played DX in 2006 and in the time since then Apple stopped updating FCS and drove me to build like four editing PCs and a bunch of servers.

Remora posted:

Solution: Set up dual boot for many games.

^^^ unironically ^^^

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm finally getting around to playing DXHR: Director's Cut and I feel strange about these now baked-in DLC items. Should I use them or ignore them? I sorta feel like it's cheating with these new weapons just being handed to me, plus the C4 and hacking tools.

e: Also should I just immediately get Hacking 5 like usual or try to look for codes for once? Hacking shouldn't give you XP. my min-maxing :argh:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 23, 2018

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I used wemo or whatever for unlimited praxis points and energy. I played for the story pretty much. Still had a great time.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

e: Also should I just immediately get Hacking 5 like usual or try to look for codes for once? Hacking shouldn't give you XP. my min-maxing :argh:

I'm not gonna go on a big rant but killing/knockouts shouldn't give you XP either. DX1 gave you XP for completing tasks and exploring, and that's about it. As a result, if you found a fast, efficient way to get past everyone, you were rewarded for being clever and not having to subdue everyone. In the new DX games if you want to get your upgrades quickly though, you have to go out of your way to play badly, taking down people who are not in your way.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

aniviron posted:

I'm not gonna go on a big rant but killing/knockouts shouldn't give you XP either. DX1 gave you XP for completing tasks and exploring, and that's about it. As a result, if you found a fast, efficient way to get past everyone, you were rewarded for being clever and not having to subdue everyone. In the new DX games if you want to get your upgrades quickly though, you have to go out of your way to play badly, taking down people who are not in your way.

On one hand that is mathematically true. On the other hand, no matter how you play you’ll have all your favorite abilities maxed by mid game regardless.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's a game design thing though, most of your players are just going to be conditioned to do the thing that gives them the biggest numbers by the time they reach midgame. Making enemies worth XP means that most people will attack their way through the game.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

dreadmojo posted:

A reason I didn't like it in addition to it being something never really mentioned in DX (and really the prequels in general feel ike they're set in a different world), I didn't like it because it seemed like a lazy cut-and-paste from real world experiences. Augs are fundamentally different to a racial, class or religious group targeted in the past - they did, in recent memory, go nuts and attack people; most of them were at some point fully human; many are in some way functionally superior to humans; they are economically valuable as tools... There's a lot there that makes it so that while there might be some similarities to historical persecution, there would be some distinctive elements making this time different. If the writers were good and especially if they were good sci fi writers, these things would have been explored.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Neurosis posted:

A reason I didn't like it in addition to it being something never really mentioned in DX (and really the prequels in general feel ike they're set in a different world), I didn't like it because it seemed like a lazy cut-and-paste from real world experiences. Augs are fundamentally different to a racial, class or religious group targeted in the past - they did, in recent memory, go nuts and attack people; most of them were at some point fully human; many are in some way functionally superior to humans; they are economically valuable as tools... There's a lot there that makes it so that while there might be some similarities to historical persecution, there would be some distinctive elements making this time different. If the writers were good and especially if they were good sci fi writers, these things would have been explored.

They tried to do this with the economical slant - that lower class workers needed to get expensive augs just to "keep up". It wasn't dwelt on enough I think.

That's the difference between something like X-Men mutants being prejudiced against (it's just the lottery of how and where you were born, just like race) and augmentation (while you can be forced it is on some level still a conscious choice)

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

They tried to do this with the economical slant - that lower class workers needed to get expensive augs just to "keep up". It wasn't dwelt on enough I think.

That was actually one of the problems I had with it's whole take on the rise of mech-augs.

I mean, how many jobs are going to benefit? The threat to the average worker is increased automation, not robot arms. People aren't going to get replaced by mechanically augmented people, they're going to be replaced by robots (and we know DX has highly advanced robotics considering they can be used as practically autonomous high-threat security and military support).

A human worker can be found easily and cheaply and is disposable and replaceable at a moment's notice. They're a good "brute force" solution to jobs that can be handled by just hiring tons of people and paying them poo poo wages that they accept due to desperation.

A robot worker is more expensive to buy and maintain but probably works faster and more reliably and can do things that just aren't possible for a human being. Great for mass production for a variety of reasons and won't ever attempt to go on strike or unionize.

A mech-aug worker is the worst of both worlds. They're less replaceable (and because of that can demand higher wages) and more expensive than a human worker (one way or another you're paying for their immunosuppression drugs) while at the same time they still come with all the downsides of human beings (have to individually train them, they take sick leave, need to eat, sleep, piss, etc and can get fed up with lovely working conditions).

And really, what jobs does having mechanical limbs make you better? Lifting bigger things is...maybe good for construction work? I mean it's not like you need to pay extra for a half-robotic stockboy and manufacturing jobs long ago left the point at which they require any significant physical abilities. The only plausible area is police and military work but that's not how it's presented.

Sure, there are other augs that could potentially be useful (using a DNI for piloting or other computer interface work for instance) but the whole aug stuff is always about the physical threat they present and every aug-focused group is sporting huge, chunky robot arms that serve no real function.

It just seemed to involve very little actual thought on how augmented fit into society or why someone might actually decide to become augmented. It would have made much more sense to have it be a weird cultural movement with elements of transhumanism or body modification rather than any kind of economic driver.

EDIT: Really, they should have made the augmented the "haves" rather than the "have nots". It would have made a ton more sense. They're the transhumanist, the body modders, the open-carry nuts, the early adopters, etc. The weirdos who're willing to do this pointless thing to themselves in a desperate bid to be different or separate from the fellow man. No necessarily always crazy or unsympathetic...but the idea of a slum full of people sporting pieces of advanced bio-medical technology is just stupid and done purely as a crude way to try and align "aug discrimination" with real world racial and economic discrimination when it just doesn't work.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 26, 2018

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

It’s probably terrible, but I could do it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lord Ludikrous posted:

It’s probably terrible, but I could do it.

Do it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I don't know what the hell went wrong right with my install of DX and Biomod, but now tranq darts have been replaced with flare darts, which I found out when trying to make a silent takedown on an NSF goon on liberty island and having them burst into flames, screaming. I'm.... strangely comfortable with it.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Willie Tomg posted:

I don't know what the hell went wrong right with my install of DX and Biomod, but now tranq darts have been replaced with flare darts, which I found out when trying to make a silent takedown on an NSF goon on liberty island and having them burst into flames, screaming. I'm.... strangely comfortable with it.

Flare darts are a vanilla thing. Switch ammo types and if you have any tranq/normal darts left you'll be back to takedowns as usual.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

John_A_Tallon posted:

Flare darts are a vanilla thing. Switch ammo types and if you have any tranq/normal darts left you'll be back to takedowns as usual.

No literally all tranq darts have been given the effect of flare darts instead. You don't get flare darts in the first level, even in Biomod.

e; the kicker is, they do so little damage on a bodyshot they don't kill, so you can finish with the baton for a nonlethal kill, or else smack them while they're burning if you headshot them and as long as they take a nap it's technically "nonlethal"

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

makes me curious what other objects will turn out to have an off-by-one error for you

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Willie Tomg posted:

Sometimes you need to make a silent takedown

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

No literally all tranq darts have been given the effect of flare darts instead. You don't get flare darts in the first level, even in Biomod.

e; the kicker is, they do so little damage on a bodyshot they don't kill, so you can finish with the baton for a nonlethal kill, or else smack them while they're burning if you headshot them and as long as they take a nap it's technically "nonlethal"

"He was unconscious when I left him, officer"

"...And also on fire"

"Yes, but his status window said..."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

dreadmojo posted:

Sometimes you need to make a silent takedown

If everyone gets hit with a GEP gun did anyone really hear you?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Willie Tomg posted:

Probably quieter anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I've been replaying DXMD cause why not? I was doing the Neuroplasticity Calibrator quest, and as I'm sneaking around I toss a gas grenade into the huge crowd in the casino lobby, start looting the bodies, and... one of those guys was Otar. I remembered you're supposed to just walk in the front door and talk to him. :doh: He's not dead, but what does this affect?