Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Dr Wright from SimCity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Wait those are ACTUALLY Peterson diagrams?

Christ I thought I was taking the piss. How does anyone take him seriously? :stare:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Christ I thought I was taking the piss. How does anyone take him seriously? :stare:

Because he tells people they're smart for thinking the kinds of things they already think.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Wait those are ACTUALLY Peterson diagrams?

You know how with climate change 99 out of 100 scientists agree that it exists and is man made, so the deniers will parade around the one dissenter that agrees with them as much as possible? Jordan Peterson is like that for feminism.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

CommonShore posted:

Ugh a guy I kinda know who comes into my morning coffee shop at the same time as me engaged me with JPetes bs the yesterday. He was using the "but have you read the longer version!" argument and it just started my day on a sour note.

A terrible white guy I know brought him up at a party and I immediately zoned out and went to talk to someone else. As far as I understand it's just very mainstream conservativism with a thin veneer of like, Jung or Freud applied to make it seem intellectual? And you can't argue with it unless you've read all his boring books and watched his multi-hour critiques of disney movies or whatever.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Every day I come home and watch Frozen tear down by Cuck Cluck Clan leader, a philosophy professor who can’t win or even stall a 2 minute debate against a VICE News YouTuber.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Red Bones posted:

A terrible white guy I know brought him up at a party and I immediately zoned out and went to talk to someone else. As far as I understand it's just very mainstream conservativism with a thin veneer of like, Jung or Freud applied to make it seem intellectual? And you can't argue with it unless you've read all his boring books and watched his multi-hour critiques of disney movies or whatever.

That's basically what I told him and his response was "but you need to go to the longer version! Whatever you read was out of context!"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Red Bones posted:

Peterson's whole thing is telling bigots that their bigotry is scientifically justified by telling them "the scientific literature says" and never actually citing any specific sources because they either don't exist or are thoroughly discredited like Jungian psychology.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Which is weird, because he's a very legit scientist. He's just completely unreliable when he's talking about anything outside of his research area.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Red Bones posted:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

vyelkin posted:

Peterson's whole thing is telling bigots that their bigotry is scientifically justified by telling them "the scientific literature says" and never actually citing any specific sources because they either don't exist or are thoroughly discredited like Jungian psychology.

Would you like to know more?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've never read any of his stuff and only recently found out who he was, but like much of the alt-right I assume it involves taking social justice concepts and turning them around and/or misapplying them. That's something I've always found it interesting, it's ostensibly a reaction against identity politics, and it is, but when you look closely the language it uses and the beats it hit are actually quite similar.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You know how with climate change 99 out of 100 scientists agree that it exists and is man made, so the deniers will parade around the one dissenter that agrees with them as much as possible? Jordan Peterson is like that for feminism.

He’s also like that for climate change!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's weird, my neighbor and I just started talking about Jordan Peterson.

The more I learn about him the more and more poo poo he is, but my neighbor is totally "no no really he's being mischaracterized" and the more I see the more it's "People are calling him out for being a poo poo"

"You've really got to read all his stuff to understand it" and I'm like, no, the more I read the more poo poo he becomes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How are all these people “lol so random”ly stumbling across Jordan Peterson?

The first time I heard about him, it was someone calling him out for being a wanker.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I've been hearing that guy mentioned more and more on these here intertubes and I still have no idea what he actually believes.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I've been hearing that guy mentioned more and more on these here intertubes and I still have no idea what he actually believes.

1) Take alt-right and incel propoganda
2) Package it in formal language and evolutionary psychology

Congrats, you made a Jordan Peterson!

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Platystemon posted:

How are all these people “lol so random”ly stumbling across Jordan Peterson?

The first time I heard about him, it was someone calling him out for being a wanker.

youtube pushes him hard

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Piell posted:

1) Take alt-right and incel propoganda
2) Package it in formal language and evolutionary psychology

Congrats, you made a Jordan Peterson!

It's even simpler: he's a bog standard conservative which is basically what the alt-right/incel crew are too except they're explicit about it where he refuses to explit anything.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

I'm late but blindsight owns

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Armacham posted:

I'm late but blindsight owns

I agree thanks for reading my opinion

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/micahcohen/status/1045759201082052609

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

nice, and bad, trend!

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Do you think it's intentional that the graph looks like :flaccid:? Except in reverse, of course...

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Seems fine to me?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

FrozenVent posted:

Seems fine to me?

The chart isn't the brightest objects in the sky. I mean, UFOs aren't even on the chart!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

FrozenVent posted:

Seems fine to me?

You have naked eyes in your sky??

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kazil posted:

The chart isn't the brightest objects in the sky. I mean, UFOs aren't even on the chart!

neither is your mom

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tetracube posted:

neither is your mom

Well yeah, she's kinda dumb

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I don't know what "visual magnitude" is or how it's calculated, but the positives and negatives seem reversed. The chart also implies that the sun is about 30% brighter than the moon and not quite twice as bright as Venus , which is obviously false.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

walrusman posted:

I don't know what "visual magnitude" is or how it's calculated, but the positives and negatives seem reversed. The chart also implies that the sun is about 30% brighter than the moon and not quite twice as bright as Venus , which is obviously false.

- convention going back to ancient Greece: 1st magnitude is brighter than 2nd, etc.

- log scale

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
The scale is logarithmic, so a -2 is about 2.5 times brighter than a -1, and 6.26 times brighter than a 0

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

walrusman posted:

That’s a not an awful chart, it’s just a chart that chart that accurately conveys how awful astronomy is. Magnitude is an attempt to extend a bizarre ancient category system only intended to go from 1-6 by retrofitting a (non-base-10) log scale to it. It makes even Crabs look like a good measurement (unit equal to the brightness of the Crab nebula).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Talkie Toaster posted:

It makes even Crabs look like a good measurement (unit equal to the brightness of the Crab nebula).

How did that even come into existence?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrast posted:

The Crab Nebula has a powerful lobbying group

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Andrast posted:

Observers. Calibrating their telescopes to the Crab. It’s got a well-known x-ray intensity, so if you don’t know your telescope efficiency you can point at the Crab, point at your actual target, take the ratio, and you can get the true value. Great. Except they sometimes don’t do the last bit and astrophysicists end up with Crabs in their data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Well, trying to represent a logarithmic scale to the layman using a plain bar graph without labeled axes is just idiotic.