Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
So I was in the market for a pro controller but I balked at the price of those things and bought an 8bitdo bluetooth adapter for a lot cheaper and now I can use my DS4 with my switch and it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone recommend a good starter guide to someone totally new to Monster Hunter and bought MHGU? I'm doing the tutorial missions and stuff but still find myself a little overwhelmed and all the videos on youtube I've found are really specific (like how to do this one specific thing). Looking just for a general guide for noobs (doesn't have to be on youtube or a video guide)

Hey, MHGU is really excellent and it turns out people who play it are equally excellent.

I'm new to it with GU too and after about 80 hours I'm still going strong and have been using these resources:

Important quests and what they unlock

Another google spreadsheet of information!

The game manual!

Kiranico is great for lots of item-based inquiries!

The SA Monster Hunter thread is VERY helpful. There is no such thing as a dumb question. Also check out the discord in the OP. Every evening there are usually a few people hanging out and playing the game. They'll answer questions in real time!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

THE loving MOON posted:

I'm not a fan of DBFZ as a game (I tried, but eh), but it's story is surprisingly really, really good. Or as much as the story mode for a Dragonball themed fighting game can be

The story is pretty much just every character talking mad poo poo to each other. It’s pretty much exactly what you’d want in a DB game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

b_d posted:

dbfz scales down super well to where it could run full speed on my extremely non gaming laptop so i’d be surprised it it doesn’t run great on switch.

I wish more games had a "make this game look like a 3DS game so it can run at a smooth 60fps with integrated graphics on a laptop" option.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

There are the chimpanzees who belong in those orbs?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

https://youtu.be/STFYnJEu0m4
https://youtu.be/kHBTYGzkpDM

For those of you scared of VC4s scout rush and time limits. Let me assuage your concerns. Here are 2 or the skirmishes (side battles for grinding) and how fast you can beat them. Even 1 run in these battles will make up for getting C or D rank in the multiple of the main missions. And just in general if you want to level up they are great.

So you CAN play the game slow and methodically and now rush. The time tax for that is under 5 minutes in between battles. I made these videos as soon as I unlocked the levels. The first ones that unlock give ~5k so and can be scout rushed in 1 turn. They are a lot simpler but I'll do a run if anyone wants it.

Ps4 version but should be the same.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Be warned, the game still pulls the same surprise enemy deployments in the middle of your formation got yas its predecessors did so expect to replay some missions until you know the triggers

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Be warned, the game still pulls the same surprise enemy deployments in the middle of your formation got yas its predecessors did so expect to replay some missions until you know the triggers

Yeah it feels "unfair" that you probably wont A rank some missions first try through no fault of your own. And I still dont like that rank being tied to xp, but it's real minimal to make up that mechanical loss and that's good.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

So apparently this is an upcoming E-shop game. It looks more like the start of a Tim and Eric skit.

Oh poo poo I thought I dreamed this

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh poo poo I thought I dreamed this

Try and dream of a Gitaroo Man port and sequel tonight please.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Or Elite Beat Agents honestly, I'm not picky. TIA.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah it feels "unfair" that you probably wont A rank some missions first try through no fault of your own. And I still dont like that rank being tied to xp, but it's real minimal to make up that mechanical loss and that's good.

Its not an A rank thing, its beating the mission at all. One mission gives you three deployment zones to pick from and only after youve started the mission does it reveal the boss spawns next to one of them and he gets to go first.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

DBFZ runs great in both modes. Looks gorgeous. Haven’t played online yet.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Its not an A rank thing, its beating the mission at all. One mission gives you three deployment zones to pick from and only after youve started the mission does it reveal the boss spawns next to one of them and he gets to go first.

Yeah he wiped my guys there. But then I killed the tank in 1 turn :shrug: A ranked that first try even with them being downed

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah he wiped my guys there. But then I killed the tank in 1 turn :shrug: A ranked that first try even with them being downed

How did you enjoy the train mission?

Im glad you got lucky on that tank boss but thats an unacceptable design in a strategy game, and even stupider in one with permadeath

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

How did you enjoy the train mission?

Im glad you got lucky on that tank boss but thats an unacceptable design in a strategy game, and even stupider in one with permadeath

None of them permadeathed

It forced your antitank grenade to start in a safe spot where it can kill the boss tank round 1. Hafen can kill the other 2 tanks. Your main base is the the one that gets wiped so you HAVE to move a guy there to rescue your downed people.

It's actually good design for a "oh poo poo" moment when a boss appears.

If you but your extra CP characters there I could see it being annoying. But still. Nothing to do with "getting lucky"

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 29, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

He downed a scout I had in a bad spot, but then I just rescued her and proceeded as normal. The whole map is just running away anyway.

Literally my thought when starting the level was "You know it seems like a bad idea to put people in this middle area... but there's not gonna be any bases to capture so I might as well" and then I just laughed when I got owned.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Is there anyway to hotkey the Legend of Zelda second controller save function in a one player game?

The answer is no, isn't it? Why did I even ask.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’ve skipped Mario Party since like the Wii days but the one coming out in October is actually looking pretty drat fun

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

There's also a great app called MHGU database that lets you build wishlists and look up weapon trees, drops etc. It's very handy if you're on a plane or somewhere without data and as far as couch gaming I find it easier to navigate on my phone than kiranico. I used their app for 3u and 4u and it was great.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DalaranJ posted:

Is there anyway to hotkey the Legend of Zelda second controller save function in a one player game?

The answer is no, isn't it? Why did I even ask.

Can you set up 2-player for the game? I haven't thought to try.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just press l and r and save a state

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Al Borland Korn posted:

It's for soft resetting, not really for saving. The continue function can be used to reset your life bar when you enter a new dungeon.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

lmao

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Al Borland Korn posted:

I was wondering if that was the case with Mario 3. I seem to remember being able to save but I think that was on like a GBA collection or something.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

It forced your antitank grenade to start in a safe spot where it can kill the boss tank round 1. Hafen can kill the other 2 tanks. Your main base is the the one that gets wiped so you HAVE to move a guy there to rescue your downed people.

Using a rank 3 anti tank mortar shell and blowing all 3 rounds on the tank, and yes hitting the radiator, barely brought the guy to half health. Something doesn't seem right here.

Not only that but he is (so far, out of 9 chapters) the only guy who can actively fire machine guns while moving. So he doesn't even need to stop and use his one shot per action to kill your guys, he just casually drives by them and murders them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Can't save in Mario 3. It doesn't even have a Famicom disk system version with saving support like Metroid does.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Can't save in Mario 3. It doesn't even have a Famicom disk system version with saving support like Metroid does.

Thought so, just been using save states instead

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ignite Memories posted:

DBFZ runs great in both modes. Looks gorgeous. Haven’t played online yet.

Connections can be pretty terrible even wired up on other platforms so heres hoping its not a wifi disaster for you

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The real problem is that the Switch doesnt natively have a broadband port, so even if youre wired on your end you're still at the mercy of whoever youre playing with.

Being wired on your end does make big difference at least. In crosstag anyway.

Speaking of, I'm probably gonna hit 1000 player match wins this weekend :woop:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I downloaded Paladins because I haven’t tried any f2p games on switch yet. Pretty impressed with it, I may sink a few dollars in if I play enough

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

FastestGunAlive posted:

I downloaded Paladins because I haven’t tried any f2p games on switch yet. Pretty impressed with it, I may sink a few dollars in if I play enough

Are load times still awful?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Leal posted:

Using a rank 3 anti tank mortar shell and blowing all 3 rounds on the tank, and yes hitting the radiator, barely brought the guy to half health. Something doesn't seem right here.

Not only that but he is (so far, out of 9 chapters) the only guy who can actively fire machine guns while moving. So he doesn't even need to stop and use his one shot per action to kill your guys, he just casually drives by them and murders them.

Somethings up. Hitting the radiator should do half health damage...is your grenade class underleveled? Leveling all classes equally I've killed the tank in 2 hits (doesnt always hit) every time it has shown up. It hasnt survived a round

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Anyone try that Pilotwings-like game that came out this week? I'm a sucker for chill flight stuff.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

empathe posted:

Are load times still awful?

Timed myself at 1 minute ten seconds to load into a match just now

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tayter Swift posted:

Anyone try that Pilotwings-like game that came out this week? I'm a sucker for chill flight stuff.

The Labo one? Did another one come out?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah, Pilot Sports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G69TJU4XlSk

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I would but it's like 30 bucks so it can wait

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I picked up Dead Cells, and it's pretty fun so far. I'm starting to get tired of the beginning weapons though, so I'm working towards using my cells to purchase the random weapons upgrades. Is there anything else I should be aiming for in order to beef up my weapons at each start? Also, that loving first boss is a really doozy. My best attempt so far only got his health down 50%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Marble it Up has a gating mechanic for progress which while generous irritates me that it exists. Otherwise its a Marble Blast Ultra sequel so if you liked that buy it

Edit: Progression doesnt seem to require silver or gold medals, game is actually perfect

Barudak fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 29, 2018

• Locked thread