Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If you're a fan of the lyrical-but-not-language songs in the Nier franchise, take a look at Adiemus, a musical group built around that same concept (though not the futurized language part)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Also the Splatoon and especially Splatoon 2 soundtracks.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Nope. Glad to know that's A Thing. I just did the first main game Goliath fight, and now I'm on travel for two weeks. So, no play until the end of the month.

Yeah, fast travel is just about to show up.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

When I first played this game, I thought it was a really dumb anime game and then I put 60 hours into it and just made a video about it in relation to Hegel's view of the origins of consciousness. Would be obliged if any o' y'all thought it worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbkYH4tF_nY

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Archenteron posted:

If you're a fan of the lyrical-but-not-language songs in the Nier franchise, take a look at Adiemus, a musical group built around that same concept (though not the futurized language part)

I enjoyed this, thanks. The main female vocalist has a great voice! They have a similar exotic feel but lack the melancholy of the Nier songs.

Calico Heart posted:

When I first played this game, I thought it was a really dumb anime game and then I put 60 hours into it and just made a video about it in relation to Hegel's view of the origins of consciousness. Would be obliged if any o' y'all thought it worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbkYH4tF_nY

I didn't know that about Hegel, thanks for sharing. I agree that that boss philosopher references are not deep but there are some similarities. I'm no expert but a little googling tells me that Immanuel Kant believed there was a connection between morality and duty, and the forest machines are obsessed with duty. Hegel might be more a matter of timing: that fight is kind of a turning point for A2. The hacking sequence immediately following the fight shows 2B's memories combining with A2's, followed by her becoming more open to others. That's pretty much in line with what you said about Hegel's thoughts of defining your own consciousness through knowing another. Koshi and Roshi are supposed to be in reference to Confucius and Laozi who had different very ideas but were both ultimately concerned with thoughts on harmony and balance. 9S and A2 are enemies but are both motivated the same things: a loss of identity from a loss of loved ones and a drive for revenge.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Very good video. I enjoyed it a lot! But I'm also gonna chime in to say what the previous poster said about the bosses - while many of the references are a bit on-the-nose, I don't think they were given out randomly. Immanuel is a double-reference to Kant and the Christ child - it might also be Yoko Taro calling Kant's philosophy juvenile, since he doesn't portray many of the other philosophers (Sartre, Nietzche, etc) in a positive light.
Koshi and Roshi are significant as they both have connections to Taoism. Their black and white color scheme represents contrast and paradox - 9S's weapons and flight unit are black, while 2B's stuff was all white. Considering that this fight precedes the revelation about 2B's true nature as an E unit, which 9S consciously or subconsciously knows already, his struggle with Ko-shi/Ro-shi reflects the frustrating, irreconcilable feelings of love and hate that he holds. 9S even grafts a severed 2B arm onto his body before the fight, unable to let go even though it's literally killing him. The track that plays for the Ko-Shi/Ro-Shi boss fight is called "Bipolar Nightmare". It refers to 9S's unstable mental state, the conflicting goals and ideologies of the two playable androids, and the polar opposite colors of the two orb robots.
Also, this isn't my interpretation, but after mentioning the above points in an essay that I wrote, one of the commenters said this re: Ko-Shi and Ro-Shi:

quote:

-There’s also two Nihonjinron readings in the machines and the bosses. Japan, as a country, is notable as one whose historical stages are based on the importation of foreign cultures, in succession, Chinese, European, and American. As a country, it verged from xenophilia to xenophobia and back, and the blind adoption of European cultural symbols and structures is well-accounted for in Tanizaki and Soseki. Players familiar with Japanese periods of xenophilia will immediately recognize the machine fetishization of human cultural forms as mirrors of the actual Japanese experience.

Likewise, the final machine, as opposed to android, bosses in the game are Confucius and Lao Zi. When the Japanese cite their fundamental cultural differences, they do not point back to the Wa detailed in the _Annals of Sui_, but instead to the influence of classical Chinese philosophers, as well as their synthesis in Neo-Confucianism. If the androids represent an immensely individual existence, the final philosophies they must transcend is the deep cultural influence of the Chinese. Likewise, the Ko-Shi / Ro-Shi synthesis, in forming a Taijitu actually represent the universe, or at least _a_ universe.

-You say that Camus is strangely missing. But in fact, he’s very much here. Camus, in speaking of the Absurd, sees the universe as fundamentally Absurd and the Absurd man’s responsibility to revolt against the Absurd. In “An Absurd Reasoning” Camus poses suicide as the fundamental question of philosophy, that is to say, whether life is worth living. Likewise, at any point in the game, when you are on the ground and thus able to access the system menu, you can remove your OS chip and die. And in making the Taijitu the penultimate boss, Yokou is posing a revolt against both the mystical and the immanent, after which your last remaining opponent is yourself, whether in A2 or in 9S–you are given a choice of living (and dying) for others or not living at all.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I just found out that Gentle Love, a jazz duo including the composer for Metal Gear Solid's music, did a cover of Song of the Ancients. It's pretty good if you like smooth jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4_-BWIN64E

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
man, this game must have really gone mainstream for it to get onto Radio 4

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bk1c4d

who knew Melvyn Bragg was into JRPGs?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

man, this game must have really gone mainstream for it to get onto Radio 4

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bk1c4d

who knew Melvyn Bragg was into JRPGs?

ok is it actually in there? cause I'm not listening to 45 minutes of melvyn bragg for nothing

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
They talk about some themes that are also in Nier, and mention some relevant things that I hadn't heard before, so I'd say it's there in spirit. In other words: no.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
https://twitter.com/grimoirerubrum/status/1040134411205963776

technically this isn't quite perfect for this thread but let's face it, yes it is

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Well, this is pretty cool. The resolution fix seems to have worked. Might have played the whole game like that if I didn't check the thread. Anything else that's easy to miss when starting out?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
That's the only technical thing if you're playing on PC. As for the game, listen to it when it tells you to keep playing after you see the credits.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

genericnick posted:

Well, this is pretty cool. The resolution fix seems to have worked. Might have played the whole game like that if I didn't check the thread. Anything else that's easy to miss when starting out?

Don't do sidequests until you unlock fast travel.

Then do all the sidequests you come across.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you're doing side quests be sure to check your quest log and make sure they're actually in the completed section before you consider them done.

You can't miss any of them (other than if you just straight up ignore them, obviously) because of the way the game works but this could save you some frustration on the longer chains.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So, I bought and finished Nier: Automata, my first Yoko Taro game in less than a week. I was definitely interested in it before and heard praises, and it's definitely one of my favorite games I've played.

That being said... The upgrade/chip system in this game is such a hassle but there are some basics in it that I find interesting. I also managed to play 20+ hours of the game without a single chip expansion because I am a god drat idiot. Sorry for my unorganized collection of thoughts below.

The story and themes were honestly a bit of a letdown since I've heard them been praised so highly. It wasn't bad at all, but none of the twists really surprised me at all nor did I feel the game went into any unexpected directions. I might have consumed some "mindfucky" media prior so I might have expectations of more unusual what the game delivered. Most of the philosophy bits about consciousness, self-awareness, artificial intelligence were stuff I've thought of without any overt knowledge of specific philosophic concepts before coming across them later in life, so I guess I expected something more cerebral or unexpected. I'm an uncivilized dumbass, I'm really not trying to sound smug here.

I also get weirdly detached from the plights, suffering and emotions of androids even though I intellectually ascribe them to be no less than human in terms of self-awareness, consciousness, etc. But I guess that says something about me since Nier is not the only material where I have difficulties feeling the same level of empathy for "artificial" intelligence as I do for human characters. Full disclosure: I weep easily at emotional games/media but Nier didn't really do a thing for me, except left me feeling quite empty in the end which is totally fine. Don't get me wrong, I felt emotions but nothing overpowering as I tend to.

I don't remember any of the androids straight out saying they are less valuable or worthy than the humans they are supposed to be protecting, but I feel that was at least implied. I am also probably interpreting some of the thoughts by androids wrong, but I feel like the game was at least a little frustrating in that the androids didn't explicitly explore their "self worth" as actual, feeling beings and realizing they are in not in any way less "worthy" than flesh and bone humans. I guess part of it comes down to whatever purpose the androids were built for being such a driving force in their existence that they cannot easily ignore. But that inability to adapt into other goals or, hell, taking humanity's mantle in a way, makes me feel less empathy for them, even though they're not exactly guilty of anything. That might also be my selfish human-centrism talking that wants the legacy continued in good and bad. I get much of the game's theme is pointless endless conflict, though.

I keep saying androids because I honestly didn't give the machine lifeforms much thought even though I don't consider them any less, apart from the kind of body/mind horror reactions I get from many of them being in such crude shells and jailed to the kind of limited cognitive capability many of them seem to possess while being self-aware. That concept somehow reminds of Alzheimer's, in a way.

I'm sure cleverer minds have found all sort of deep messages in the game but then again you see SMG doing his Transformers takes so uhh... Well, I'm not saying they're not valid.

I was weirded out by the black box information archive
"Said black boxes were installed after determining that it would be inhumane to install standard AI in androids that are ultimately destined for disposal."

Can someone explain me the meaning of this sentence, because I'm reading it that humans somehow either consider cores of machine lifeforms somehow less valuable than AI, or more...temporary? But the archive also seems to imply that whoever made the decision/humans? in general apply some rights to artificial intelligence they have created. Could just consider it kind of bigotry or conceit because AI was specifically of human creation, but it still reads weird to me that one would be tolerant and accepting that AI own some rights while machine lifeforms do not. Probably because they're supposedly alien in creation? I'm obviously putting too much thought to the entry, but it read to me as weirdly specific discrimination - not like discrimination in the real world works logically.

edit: The game did kind of positively surprise me how... gameplay heavy it was, while I saw some twitchy gameplay before I was honestly a little surprised of all the camera tricks and few "mini-game"-likes the game had, in addition to the upgrade systems etc. Doing counters/evasions and getting off combos was more rewarding than I expected the game to be. Some gameplay moments were also very well delivered in terms of how powerful and even challenged you felt at the same time.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 25, 2018

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I'd say feeling empty because of the ending is a pretty fine take away.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Re the black box: it's not normal for androids to have black boxes, that's specifically a YorHa thing. The people who thought it would be inhumane to give them standard AI were their android creators, because YorHa's whole point is to be destroyed eventually. Whether the machine lifeforms' AI is any lesser than the androids (YorHa all seem as smart as a normal android which suggests it's not) the creators probably just felt better making YorHa out of "the enemy"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the whole route C is the cast finding their reasoning beyond just their built in motivations. Plus the androids basically abandoned the struggle being their main motive before the game really began, helping the YOHRA units but living their own lives.

Having a character vocalize this to the camera seems really unnecessary and kind of corny.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm playing this game for the second time and everything is so loving heartbreaking. Even the side quests sting. I want to give Operator 6O a hug.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the whole route C is the cast finding their reasoning beyond just their built in motivations. Plus the androids basically abandoned the struggle being their main motive before the game really began, helping the YOHRA units but living their own lives.

Having a character vocalize this to the camera seems really unnecessary and kind of corny.

Not only this, but route A presents the idea that the humans don't even matter as a driving force for Yorha. It's not a coincidence that the gods (creators) of both Yorha and the machine lifeforms turn out to be long dead and that the war turns out to be planned by its own combatants. So it's not that the cast have no self-worth in relation to their creators, it's that there really is no relation in the first place. There is no god to imbue value or meaning into life, and yet the cast create their own meaning in both positive and negative ways (route C being mostly negative).

2house2fly posted:

Re the black box: it's not normal for androids to have black boxes, that's specifically a YorHa thing. The people who thought it would be inhumane to give them standard AI were their android creators, because YorHa's whole point is to be destroyed eventually. Whether the machine lifeforms' AI is any lesser than the androids (YorHa all seem as smart as a normal android which suggests it's not) the creators probably just felt better making YorHa out of "the enemy"

One thing I liked about this reveal that I'd like to point out even though it doesn't really address the question: the game spends all this time building up the machine lifeforms as beings comparable in "humanity" to Yorha, who are established from the beginning as practically human. Then the revelation turns out to be not that "yes, the machines are human like Yorha", but that "no, Yorha is not really as human as you thought". That was a really interesting reversal to me. It really puts both sides on an even playing field.

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 26, 2018

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The wrangling of the timeline, from the humans' ill-fated plan 10,000 years prior, through the various analogues struggling and failing and finally being addressed by the players of Nier:A was really impressive I thought. It was some very entertaining storytelling.

And the OST is the best in games.

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 26, 2018

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Finished ending A
Gameplay poo poo:
God drat 9S is useless in meele. Suppose it is finally time to upgrade the bots.

Just to confirm: There is no way to just have the scanner active permanently? I used schema 3 for the controls and that makes holding the scan button pressed pretty uncomfoprtable.
What exactly do the weapons you get from the machine village do? Any other weapons worth a try? With 2b I just mulched through everything with the big starter sword.
The thing with the plug in chips is that the cost is a pure negative and you should fuse them as cheaply as possible?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

genericnick posted:

Finished ending A
Gameplay poo poo:
God drat 9S is useless in meele. Suppose it is finally time to upgrade the bots.

Just to confirm: There is no way to just have the scanner active permanently? I used schema 3 for the controls and that makes holding the scan button pressed pretty uncomfoprtable.
What exactly do the weapons you get from the machine village do? Any other weapons worth a try? With 2b I just mulched through everything with the big starter sword.
The thing with the plug in chips is that the cost is a pure negative and you should fuse them as cheaply as possible?

a few things:

For controls, I recommend using the first type as a base and swapping the lockon onto r3 and pod fire and program to r2/r1. Unfortunately there's no way to toggle the scanner program.

The machine weapons are pretty generic, if you upgrade them you get a discount at machine-run shops I guess? Upgraded weapons will have effects like that, some really nice like crit chance up, others pretty lame. That said, you will eventually want to get all weapons and upgrade them to lvl 4 for reasons

Plugin chips should be fused in such a way as to get the lowest possible cost for their level, yes

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Some chips will be marked with a diamond which means they have an extra low cost. Fuse diamonds with diamonds whenever possible.

Weapons within the same class do have differences in attack or some special abilities when upgraded but for most people it will just be looks because a lot of the differences are fairly minor.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
9S being bad at melee is a common misconception.

He has less basic attacks but they tear through enemies like paper if you are using upgraded weapons (dont use his starter sword, its not upgraded by default)

Slap some critical chips in there and you never have to hack anything

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
For 9S especially, the spear you get in one of the desert quests was very useful because each hit has a chance of turning a robot in to a buddy. You can also throw it like a javelin if you hold down R1.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I finished the A-story a couple days ago, and now I'm about half way through the B-story.

Yeah...I see where this is going. I've randomly gotten two of the joke/bad endings, and they're kind of dumb so far. Do I actually have to get all 26 endings for the True End?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

No, most of the endings are totally optional joke endings. Just keep playing and don't worry about it, it'll be pretty obvious what to do to get the important endings.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

AlternateNu posted:

I finished the A-story a couple days ago, and now I'm about half way through the B-story.

Yeah...I see where this is going. I've randomly gotten two of the joke/bad endings, and they're kind of dumb so far. Do I actually have to get all 26 endings for the True End?

You don't need to unlock any of the goofy joke endings to reach the true ending. Once you beat the B route the structure will be a bit more clear to you.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah...I see where this is going.

:hb:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah...I see where this is going.

i don't think you do

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The machines are vastly superior to the androids and could wipe them out immediately if they wanted to. The androids are kept around because the machines need them to "evolve" and it's part of their core code that they must fight. It's not made clear in the game but I think the machines control Yorha and are the masterminds behind it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DropsySufferer posted:

The machines are vastly superior to the androids and could wipe them out immediately if they wanted to. The androids are kept around because the machines need them to "evolve" and it's part of their core code that they must fight. It's not made clear in the game but I think the machines control Yorha and are the masterminds behind it.

Not quite.
The android command machine intelligence both reached the same conclusion that they needed a forever war to keep things stable.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
From what I gathered after playing through the game, YoRHa was invented by whoever's in charge of the android Resistance to hype up the severely-demotivated androids by making a bunch of elite soldiers and fabricating the idea of there being a lunar colony of human refugees. They installed a backdoor to the Bunker's systems so that once the idea caught on widely enough and YoRHa had outlived its usefulness they could let the machines attack it, make martyrs of everyone in YoRHa, and keep the androids motivated enough to keep fighting for another couple thousand years or whatever.

Meanwhile, the machines' programming specifies they require an enemy to oppose, so they're prohibited by their natures from actually exterminating the Resistance lest they end up with no one to fight. So it's all meaningless: the androids literally can't possibly lose because the machine network will always pull its punches in the end, and the machines can't possibly lose because the androids will never have enough resources to actually drive the machines out of the vast majority of the Earth they occupy.

And then you get endings C/D and E in which the network is either destroyed or fucks off to space and suddenly everything's up in the air.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The YoRHa culprit is the point in Automata peripheral story material where I kinda just dropped off because it didn’t feel like it added any appeal to what the game was trying to do.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

And started on C. Up to now pretty much as expected. I forgot that 9S pisses off directly after the Sunken City and missed a few side quests as a result. The couple, Emil's flowers, the parade, and the Race. Not that I have a sve before the point of no return, but was there anything important?

The dialogue and normal in game animation feels perfectly fine but the cutscenes aren't doing it for me. Certaily not a dealbreaker, but irritating nonethe less.
Edit: ANd the invisible walls. gently caress those.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You can go back and do side quests you missed a bit later, no worries

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

genericnick posted:

And started on C. Up to now pretty much as expected. I forgot that 9S pisses off directly after the Sunken City and missed a few side quests as a result. The couple, Emil's flowers, the parade, and the Race. Not that I have a sve before the point of no return, but was there anything important?

The dialogue and normal in game animation feels perfectly fine but the cutscenes aren't doing it for me. Certaily not a dealbreaker, but irritating nonethe less.
Edit: ANd the invisible walls. gently caress those.

I just started C route, too, and things sure went to poo poo really quickly :stare:

I was able to complete Emils Memories, but didn’t take the time to actually visit the shopping mall before starting the fight with Grün. Whoops. Also missing the (I’m guessing) final part of the couples side quest.

I’m sure there will be much head-exploding poo poo revealed in the final run up, but so far the biggest WTF moment has been Adam calling out 9S on his internal feelings of rage and lust. That bit seemed a little too on-the-nose.

Also, 9S never got a chance to tell 2B the truth. :(

One question though. What are the mechanical implications of A2’s glowing dash re:attacking/maneuvering?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

One question though. What are the mechanical implications of A2’s glowing dash re:attacking/maneuvering?

I think it's a very short and hard to take advantage of damage boost, probably just don't worry about it.