Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also what's the best sleep tracker? I've tried a few of them over this week, namely Sleep++, Sleep Cycle, and Autosleep. Autosleep gets it wrong with the automatic sleep tracking, and trying to edit it was so frustrating that I just deleted the drat app, because none of it makes sense. Sleep Cycle is an alarm and I'm not looking for one cause I just wake up at the same time every day anyway. Sleep++ is no frills but it injects complete nonsense into my Health data. I could turn that off, but I want the Health data.

Health.app seems to distinguish between being "in bed" and being "asleep." All of the apps above gets this wrong because they list my "in bed" period the same as my "asleep" period. Autosleep kinda has it right in the sense that my "asleep" period is a subset of "in bed", but if I go edit a night then it fucks everything up, and from my experience it's been wrong about when it thinks I'm sleeping so I need to edit the data.

I just want an app that let's me manually record when I was in bed because the automatic detection doesn't work right in the apps I tried, and then use the sensors to determine when I'm actually asleep.

Personally I'd recommend giving Autosleep a longer trial - if you've tested three of them in a week it won't really have had any time to calibrate its sensitivity. After a while I've found that one really accurate, once I'd adjusted the sleep period to what I was aware of a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

rience it's been wrong about when it thinks I'm sleeping so I need to edit the data.
I just want an app that let's me manually record when I was in bed because the automatic detection doesn't work right in the apps I tried, and then use the sensors to determine when I'm actually asleep.

Lark guesses but allows you to edit the guess. But it's a whole life health coach deal that you probably don't want.

But the real thing you want to do is use Siri Shortcuts to set up an action for logging your sleep time. I use it for logging weight and I just checked and indeed you can log sleep times as well.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

I bought Autosleep almost immediately after I got my S3. Either the app is way too sensitive, or I am constantly moving while asleep. Honestly, it could be the latter; I've had hosed up sleep patterns my whole life.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RoboCop 3 posted:

I bought Autosleep almost immediately after I got my S3. Either the app is way too sensitive, or I am constantly moving while asleep. Honestly, it could be the latter; I've had hosed up sleep patterns my whole life.

SleepWatch is the best one I have found. I have used it for almost a year and it's pretty accurate as far as I can tell. :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are fundamental limitations in the sleep tracking that phone/watch apps can do anyways. They basically equate "not moving == deep sleep" which is a pretty bad way to actually track it because it's normal to move around while sleeping or be perfectly still while awake. If you took that information to a sleep analyst they'd laugh at you and plug you into their sleep monitoring rig to get some actual data. Now that we all have heart rate monitors they incorporate that as well, which is better information, but also has limitations.

That said they aren't useless, if whatever app you chose consistently shows "bad sleep" and you were convinced everything was fine it might motivate a visit to the doctor who could detect real problems, so in the long run it did a good thing.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

When in deep sleep you’re effectively paralyzed so, even if you’re very still, the body is making small muscle movements here and there while awake.

The question is if the watch can pick up on that, and the answer is kinda sorta. I like to lounge in my bed after waking up, and it is common for autosleep to mark it as sleeping. But unless you need 100% accurate tracking for health reasons, it’s still a decent way to see how much sleep you’re getting each night.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Anyone else have an issue where their watch doesn't update the date on the watchface until later in the day?

Today my watch told me it was the 26th until about 10am.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Froist posted:

Personally I'd recommend giving Autosleep a longer trial - if you've tested three of them in a week it won't really have had any time to calibrate its sensitivity. After a while I've found that one really accurate, once I'd adjusted the sleep period to what I was aware of a few times.

I didn't know it had to calibrate so I guess I'll try it again since I already bought it.

Quick question: how do I prepare my old watch for the giveback program? I just go to the Watch app and unpair it and that's it?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Boris Galerkin posted:

:words:

Quick question: how do I prepare my old watch for the giveback program? I just go to the Watch app and unpair it and that's it?

Ya - according to some page I found on apple.com, unpairing it should remove the activation lock and so on. If you wanna super double make sure, go to iCloud.apple.com and look at your devices. If it's still listed on there, remove it.

Here's an apple support page article about it: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205009

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

nerox posted:

Anyone else have an issue where their watch doesn't update the date on the watchface until later in the day?

Today my watch told me it was the 26th until about 10am.

Never had that problem even on my aging S0. Maybe do a restore?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Has anyone ordered one of these through AT&T and had it ship early? I’m about to call it a day and order one, but the estimated arrival is a literal month and a week from now.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

LODGE NORTH posted:

Has anyone ordered one of these through AT&T and had it ship early? I’m about to call it a day and order one, but the estimated arrival is a literal month and a week from now.

FWIW I used iStockNow and it was pretty slick. Mostly helps if you have an apple store nearby.

No experience with att though.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Dick Nipples posted:

FWIW I used iStockNow and it was pretty slick. Mostly helps if you have an apple store nearby.

No experience with att though.

Apple Stores can’t sell the watches on installment plans :(

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So what's the consensus on LTE in the watch these days? The initial reviews when the S3 launched weren't so hot, but I'm wondering if that's changed.

Also, any S2->S4 upgraders here?

nerox posted:

I seem to have recurring issues (both on my earlier S0 and now S2 watch) where the weather won't update for a while when I drive/fly to another city.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Small White Dragon posted:

So what's the consensus on LTE in the watch these days? The initial reviews when the S3 launched weren't so hot, but I'm wondering if that's changed.

Also, any S2->S4 upgraders here?

I seem to have recurring issues (both on my earlier S0 and now S2 watch) where the weather won't update for a while when I drive/fly to another city.

I went from S2->S4 but I don’t use the builtin weather app. I use Carrot.

I did notice that the weather app on the S4 does have problems on occasion. For example, I was using the Air Quality complication and it would be blank every other time I would check.

I just opted not to use it - I really only care about what Carrot tells me anyway.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

The only thing annoying about it coming from the sport band is that it's one piece. I'm not used to having to slip my hands through the loop but yeah it is really comfortable. For people with sport loops for years now how does it hold up to washing/smell?
I’ve had the white one for almost a year now, haven't worn it exclusively but wear it often enough I think. The only washing I’ve done is just uh, regular hand or bar soap and water after workouts I guess. It’s held up fine for the most part, only thing I’ve noticed is a slight discoloration where the velcro hook and loop attaches to the band. Considering it’s the white one it’s held up better than I expected.

Pants Donkey posted:

When in deep sleep you’re effectively paralyzed so, even if you’re very still, the body is making small muscle movements here and there while awake.

The question is if the watch can pick up on that, and the answer is kinda sorta. I like to lounge in my bed after waking up, and it is common for autosleep to mark it as sleeping. But unless you need 100% accurate tracking for health reasons, it’s still a decent way to see how much sleep you’re getting each night.
I’m guessing the watch could pick up on that (accelerometers/gyros are pretty dang sensitive), more a matter of how the various apps themselves decide to interpret the data, and/or if Apple cleans up the data/filters out the motion "noise" before passing it on to the apps in the first place.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I gave Autosleep another chance and got rid of it again. It keeps populating my Heath data with sleep data from before I got my watch. I just want it to analyze data going forward from today. It’s annoying cause a lot of these datapoints are flat out wrong.

God drat I should learn how to write watchOS apps.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I gave Autosleep another chance and got rid of it again. It keeps populating my Heath data with sleep data from before I got my watch. I just want it to analyze data going forward from today. It’s annoying cause a lot of these datapoints are flat out wrong.

God drat I should learn how to write watchOS apps.

I used Autosleep for several months after getting my S3, but recently changed to using Sleep Watch.

I find this way better and I much prefer the interface to Autosleep. It's definitely worth a go.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Pitwar posted:

I used Autosleep for several months after getting my S3, but recently changed to using Sleep Watch.

I find this way better and I much prefer the interface to Autosleep. It's definitely worth a go.

Will it analyze my old data and add a bunch of nonsense into my Health app, or can I tell it to start analyzing starting today?

(I tried deleting the bad analyses from Autosleep but it just gets recreated when I open the app again.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Small White Dragon posted:

The watch last year had coverage issues at first, but they’re largely fixed. I don’t use LTE often with my phone, but it now transitions pretty seamlessly, keeps a good connection, and battery life is fine.

10 months ago I did a weekend with the watch on cellular and it made it through each day fine. Maybe 30% at end of the day, albeit light use (my personal phone was getting replaced, I was using my work phone).

FYI LTE on the watch works best if your phone is still powered on wherever it is. If your phone is dead or turned off, you’ll only get calls and iMessage. Any other notifications (news, WhatsApp, whatever), the phone has to be on to push the notifications to the watch.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Will it analyze my old data and add a bunch of nonsense into my Health app, or can I tell it to start analyzing starting today?

(I tried deleting the bad analyses from Autosleep but it just gets recreated when I open the app again.)

Sleep Watch started logging data for me from the day I started using the app, so you should be good. I've not had it fill in previous days with anything.

In regards to the Autosleep data, mine all erased when I removed it from the Data Sources & Access section within Sleep Analysis in the Health app, so not sure why it keeps coming back for you :confused:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dick Nipples posted:

I did notice that the weather app on the S4 does have problems on occasion. For example, I was using the Air Quality complication and it would be blank every other time I would check.
For about 2-3 months I’ve noticed the stock temperature complication won’t update consistently either (often shows — until I change faces) if I have the default location set to “current location”. If I set it to a city, it seems to work fine. (And yeah, I have location services for weather set to “always”).

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

For about 2-3 months I’ve noticed the stock temperature complication won’t update consistently either (often shows — until I change faces) if I have the default location set to “current location”. If I set it to a city, it seems to work fine. (And yeah, I have location services for weather set to “always”).

Weird. I definitely was in places that I could get GPS signal... well whatever. I don't use it anyway :shrug:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Me, too. And it had worked fine for nearly three years. Then it didn’t.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Is Apple Music the only option for streaming to LTE watches? Can I play/stream purchased iTunes music, or use some third-party app?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Pitwar posted:

Sleep Watch started logging data for me from the day I started using the app, so you should be good. I've not had it fill in previous days with anything.

In regards to the Autosleep data, mine all erased when I removed it from the Data Sources & Access section within Sleep Analysis in the Health app, so not sure why it keeps coming back for you :confused:

Just a quick update, Sleep Watch has been pretty great. The app itself isn’t as confusing as Autosleep nor does it look like a unicorn threw up all over my screen. It’s analyzing data starting from Wednesday which is fine because that’s the night I started sleeping with my watch on so it doesn’t tell me I was asleep every time my phone was plugged in. And I haven’t had to edit any of the nights yet cause its perfectly reasonable.

So thanks for the suggestion. My only concern is that the app and service are free so who knows what they’re doing with my data.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Any tips on troubleshooting occasional rapid battery drain? I have it happen once but Mrs Mango has her watch go to <10% by the afternoon (doing nothing out of the ordinary, not even a workout) at least once a month. Rebooting it helps sometimes but it’s really random and frustrating.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Any tips on troubleshooting occasional rapid battery drain? I have it happen once but Mrs Mango has her watch go to <10% by the afternoon (doing nothing out of the ordinary, not even a workout) at least once a month. Rebooting it helps sometimes but it’s really random and frustrating.

How old is her watch?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

SeANMcBAY posted:

How old is her watch?

Also - what series? Which watchOS? What’s her charging ritual?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dick Nipples posted:

Also - what series? Which watchOS? What’s her charging ritual?

Series 3 with cellular. Hasn’t upgraded to OS5 yet. Charges every or every other night, she usually gets two days with room to spare. She mostly uses it for notifications so it doesn’t get heavy use.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Series 3 with cellular. Hasn’t upgraded to OS5 yet. Charges every or every other night, she usually gets two days with room to spare. She mostly uses it for notifications so it doesn’t get heavy use.

Maybe try upgrading to 5 and see how it goes.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Maybe try upgrading to 5 and see how it goes.

Agreed about upgrading to 5. Similar to iOS 12, it’s more of a fit and finish release so it seems to speed stuff up when I was using it on my S2.

If that doesn’t work, a full unpair can often help.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sometimes my S1 would start draining extra fast, but powering it off and on would fix the issue for another month or two.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I’m weak willed and switched from a 42mm S3 to a 40mm S4 while checking them out since they had 1 left in stock. The bigger display on a smaller frame is really loving awesome, the dumb rear end watch face with 8 complications is cool and everything is even faster compared to the already fast S3.

Gotta call T-Mobile now to cancel the old watch line since apparently there isn’t a seamless watch to transfer the service from one watch to the other because of the esim cards?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I’m weak willed and switched from a 42mm S3 to a 40mm S4 while checking them out since they had 1 left in stock. The bigger display on a smaller frame is really loving awesome, the dumb rear end watch face with 8 complications is cool and everything is even faster compared to the already fast S3.

Gotta call T-Mobile now to cancel the old watch line since apparently there isn’t a seamless watch to transfer the service from one watch to the other because of the esim cards?

Basically yeah, it opens a new line even if you say “transfer cellular” in the watch pairing. It’s easy to cancel with your carrier though, the backend infrastructure probably isn’t there yet like it is for mobile.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How’s it compare size wise for you?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

How’s it compare size wise for you?

It feels way smaller and much more comfortable without losing on the screen. I have small wrists and the 42mm S3 was just there at that point of large but not too big. 44mm model on the other hand felt loving huge so that was a no go. The screen on the 40mm is gorgeous and with bezel being smaller you have a bigger display than the 42mm on a smaller body. Feels just right.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I was at an Apple Store today and checked out the 44mm (mine is arriving Tuesday). They look loving huge. I can't wait to get mine.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My watch like...desynced from the phone? Tried updating to 5.01 and got errors being unable to connect. Restarted phone and it’s clear my watch isn’t talking to my phone since adding new watchfaces does nothing and it’s connected to wifi (disconnecting gives the phone out of range icon).

And tried unpairing but that errored out and now my phone has no watch paired but the watch is still acting like no phone in range???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Dick Nipples posted:

Agreed about upgrading to 5. Similar to iOS 12, it’s more of a fit and finish release so it seems to speed stuff up when I was using it on my S2.

If that doesn’t work, a full unpair can often help.

5 was fine but 5.0.1 has been a bit of a disaster on my S2 - faces keep losing the date/weather (just disappears) and something is eating a bunch of storage which means I can't install anything.