Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Red Metal posted:

The scale is logarithmic, so a -2 is about 2.5 times brighter than a -1, and 6.26 times brighter than a 0

I grew up as a space nerd so I ran across this concept long before the more usual definition of an "order of magnitude".

In sixth grade or so, when the math teacher tried to tell us that an order of magnitude was a factor of ten, I straight-up argued with him that no, that's wrong, it's a factor of 2.5. He'd never heard of astronomical magnitudes and had no idea what I was talking about, so we left class that day with each of us thinking the other was crazy. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is an awful graph.

If you already know the subject matter, you can see that it’s not wrong.

If you don’t, the graph doesn’t teach you anything.

Talkie Toaster posted:

That’s a not an awful chart, it’s just a chart that chart that accurately conveys how awful astronomy is. Magnitude is an attempt to extend a bizarre ancient category system only intended to go from 1-6 by retrofitting a (non-base-10) log scale to it. It makes even Crabs look like a good measurement (unit equal to the brightness of the Crab nebula).

“Pogson’s ratio” has a good ring to it, but it’s close enough to Euler’s number that he arguably should have just used that.

Andrast posted:

How did that even come into existence?

A star blew up 6500 light‐years from Earth. In 1054 CE, light from that explosion reached the Earth and appeared as an extremely bright star, brighter than every other star in the night sky put together.

Debris from that explosion has been spreading out at a significant fraction of the speed of light ever since.

Today, almost a thousand years later, it’s the brightest consistent x‐ray source in the sky. It can be outshone by several temporary phenomena, but those make poor benchmarks for obvious reasons.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The worst are particle physicists who measure collisions in inverse femtobarns.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i thought this was a poll result and was waiting for the odd one out like "my hand" or something

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

How are all these people “lol so random”ly stumbling across Jordan Peterson?

The first time I heard about him, it was someone calling him out for being a wanker.

You have to bear in mind that they aren't looking at the same content you are. The people that "randomly" stumble across him are probably already into fairly right-wing circles, but still in the mainstream (they probably comment a lot on facebook and WSJ articles). Peterson is popular there because he's basically "entry-level fascism". The harder alt-right people introduce him into moderate circles because he's not explicitly fascist himself, so he's still palatable to center-right people, but his ideas just happen to line up a lot with more overt fascists, so once people get really into him the same people that introduced Peterson come along and say "hey if you like him, why not check out (much more explicit Nazi shill X)?"

The Cheshire Cat has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Sep 29, 2018

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Platystemon posted:

“Pogson’s ratio” has a good ring to it, but it’s close enough to Euler’s number that he arguably should have just used that.
:psyduck:

Until this conversation, I always figured astronomical magnitude used log-10. When people started saying 2.5, I thought it was meant as a rough approximation of e.

The fifth root of one hundred?!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You have to bear in mind that they aren't looking at the same content you are. The people that "randomly" stumble across him are probably already into fairly right-wing circles, but still in the mainstream (they probably comment a lot on facebook and WSJ articles). Peterson is popular there because he's basically "entry-level fascism". The harder alt-right people introduce him into moderate circles because he's not explicitly fascist himself, so he's still palatable to center-right people, but his ideas just happen to line up a lot with more overt fascists, so once people get really into him the same people that introduced Peterson come along and say "hey if you like him, why not check out (much more explicit Nazi shill X)?"

I think that's overdoing it. His book, 12 Rules or something similar was very popular. It was displayed front and center at airports in South Africa when I was there. He's been on Rogan's podcast, and probably lots of other places as well. He was mentioned on a channel of jiu-jitsu instruction videos for some reason, I guess he has a philosophy on sport.

Anyway, not defending the guy, but basically anyone could come across him by mistake at this point.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Krankenstyle posted:

i thought this was a poll result and was waiting for the odd one out like "my hand" or something

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Count Roland posted:

I think that's overdoing it. His book, 12 Rules or something similar was very popular. It was displayed front and center at airports in South Africa when I was there. He's been on Rogan's podcast, and probably lots of other places as well. He was mentioned on a channel of jiu-jitsu instruction videos for some reason, I guess he has a philosophy on sport.

Anyway, not defending the guy, but basically anyone could come across him by mistake at this point.

im permabanned poster pronounstomper58. i first started reading the idw when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "owning the libs" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "murderous equity doctrine” and "cultural marxism" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "fascist" style of the idw was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" jordy pete to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Has there been any research on how logarithmic scales influence the perception of the average person, and on how they respond to normal vs logarithmic graphs?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vavrek posted:

Until this conversation, I always figured astronomical magnitude used log-10. When people started saying 2.5, I thought it was meant as a rough approximation of e.

Welcome to my life. Astronomers throughout ages were really fond of random rear end garbage units they case up on the spot. For example, siriometre.

cinci zoo sniper has a new favorite as of 13:07 on Sep 30, 2018

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

steinrokkan posted:

Has there been any research on how logarithmic scales influence the perception of the average person, and on how they respond to normal vs logarithmic graphs?

a little bit and the answer is mostly “people don’t interpret log scales correctly” especially in things like bar charts where people are comparing the heights directly rather than reading off the legend

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Welcome to my life. Astronomers throughout ages were really fond of random rear end garbage units the cane up on the spot. For example, siriometre.
"Huh. I imagine it has something to do with Sirius ..."

"Well that's not good."

Why?

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Tree Goat posted:

a little bit and the answer is mostly “people don’t interpret log scales correctly” especially in things like bar charts where people are comparing the heights directly rather than reading off the legend

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vavrek posted:

holy poo poo :same:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Talkie Toaster posted:

That’s a not an awful chart, it’s just a chart that chart that accurately conveys how awful astronomy is. Magnitude is an attempt to extend a bizarre ancient category system only intended to go from 1-6 by retrofitting a (non-base-10) log scale to it. It makes even Crabs look like a good measurement (unit equal to the brightness of the Crab nebula).

It is an awful chart because it's labeled "Brightest Objects in the Sky" and not "Apparent Magnitude of Some Things."

A chart of the brightest objects in the sky would be interesting. Well, once you're done with the planets.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kazil posted:

It is an awful chart because it's labeled "Brightest Objects in the Sky" and not "Apparent Magnitude of Some Things."

A chart of the brightest objects in the sky would be interesting. Well, once you're done with the planets.

Why? It’s mostly just a whole bunch of stars, unless you go Munroe and start counting birds:

1. Sun

2. Moon

2–6. Planets

7–20. Stars

21. :siren: Large Magellanic Cloud, the first object that’s not a moon, star, or planet. It’s a satellite galaxy of the Milky Way. From near the Equator or anywhere in the Southern Hemisphere, it looks like, well, a cloud in the night sky. It’s bright because it’s made of stars. :ssh:

22–123. More stars

124. Small Magellanic Cloud. It’s like the Large Magellanic Cloud but smaller.

125–378. Yet more stars.

379. Andromeda Galaxy. With the unaided eye, it’s an a small, faint smudge.

After this is just several thousand stars and a small handful of globular clusters (those sound more exciting than they are).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Most human perception actually works on a log scale - that's why sound is measured in decibels, for instance.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

Most human perception actually works on a log scale - that's why sound is measured in decibels, for instance.

It's also why things like volume controls are such a nightmare on a computer.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Decibels. Deci...bels.

Deci Bells?

:psyboom:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, as in Alexander Graham Bell. It wasn't made by him, just named in honor him by ... Bell Labs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao thanks

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Vavrek posted:

Yeah, as in Alexander Graham Bell. It wasn't made by him, just named in honor him by ... Bell Labs.

There was a Geico cinema advert I saw recently (a "please silence your phone" one) with Bell picking up a phone and saying "ahoy-hoy", an attention to detail which I very much appreciated.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is that why Mr. Burns says it? Holy poo poo I never realized until now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mister Burns is old. That’s the joke.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

How Munroe got away with not including "Bats (Not Bugs)", I will never know.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

By the completely uninteresting and unhelpful numbers.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I work as an auto estimator for a major insurer and I can ensure you every camry dent is well-documented in the group chat because there are no lies on that chart

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

The last chart, but for the new Tesla:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Platystemon posted:

Mister Burns is old. That’s the joke.

that sort of attention to detail is what sets golden age simpsons apart from....the last two decades

:smithicide:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Spoeank posted:

I work as an auto estimator for a major insurer and I can ensure you every camry dent is well-documented in the group chat because there are no lies on that chart

Things that might be interesting about the Camry dents: how they compared to other common models, structural reasons why it might be happening, how it changes over time, how the manufacturer mitigated it in later models, how the size of the dents correlates to the speed of a collision, a projection of the amount of time it will take before every surviving Camry is dented, what to do if your Camry gets dented.

Uninteresting things: the color and generation of the cars in your sample.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

walrusman posted:

Uninteresting things: the color and generation of the cars in your sample.

More data = better. Always. Even if it's pointless data.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

This loving joke is over-said.
It's been fourteen years, the meme is dead.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

TinTower posted:

This loving joke is over-said.
It's been fourteen years, the meme is dead.
I don't get it.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Strudel Man posted:

I don't get it.

wake me up, when September ends

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

wake me up, when September ends

Huh... I thought it was "It's October third" from Mean Girls

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Welcome to my life. Astronomers throughout ages were really fond of random rear end garbage units they case up on the spot. For example, siriometre.

All of science needs a drat good kicking. Shake out all the stupid measurements.

I still do not understand why parsecs are a thing. Why not just use light years?

I mean, look at it:

Why?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Megillah Gorilla posted:

All of science needs a drat good kicking. Shake out all the stupid measurements.

I still do not understand why parsecs are a thing. Why not just use light years?

I mean, look at it:

Why?

:confused: so a parsec... is the distance at which one AU of tangential displacement creates 1 degree of observable progression?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Not a degree, a second.