Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

This is something that goes back a long way:

Jesus Christ, Hal, you can charge a little more for those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also they keep getting evil beings stuck in their rings for some reason.

Well where else would you put them?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I mean, there is very solid precedent for having weird spirits bound to your rings and/or lamps.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Or precious stones for that matter.

You can stash it or make it into a fashion statement.

And who could resist wearing the cage that binds a literal embodiment of an anthropomorphized aspect of our known universe?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Jesus Christ, Hal, you can charge a little more for those.

to be fair thats from 1964 so a dollar was what, $10,000 in today's money?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Does Alan Scott figure into this green lantern bull poo poo, or is he just an alternate universe character now?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Skwirl posted:

Does Alan Scott figure into this green lantern bull poo poo, or is he just an alternate universe character now?

Doctor Manhattan went back in time and made sure he died in that train crash.

Yes, really.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lobok posted:

Do the rings have planned obsolescence built in by the Guardians so around the time new rings are being released the old ones can barely keep a charge?

The Ring that Baz had was one made by Sinestro. And from the arc Sinestro was described as the best Green Lantern because he was shown hacking his ring to do crazy stuff (like split it's power off, so instead of having a runtime of 2000 minutes he makes 2000 rings with 1 minutes worth of power to help an army of citizens fight a load of Yellow Lanterns.)

Because of the way Baz's ring was made it would malfunction a lot.
But he also never had formal training which ment he never had formal limitations like other Lanterns. So he used the ring to bring his brother back from a coma. Which was cool.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I like how the logic there is that if you get taught how to use the thing, it makes you worse at using the thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Grendels Dad posted:

I like how the logic there is that if you get taught how to use the thing, it makes you worse at using the thing.

I guess it kinda makes sense when the guys who made the rings are hyper-controlling assholes. Of course they'd lie about their limitations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

Well it makes a little (if crazy) sense. Say you get a magic ring from out of the sky and all you know is that it's super powerful. You'd probably try some crazy poo poo. Whereas if the minute you got it, some rear end in a top hat from space showed up and gave you strict instructions on how to use the ring and what it can and cannot do, you'd never try anything kind of nuts.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Well it makes a little (if crazy) sense. Say you get a magic ring from out of the sky and all you know is that it's super powerful. You'd probably try some crazy poo poo. Whereas if the minute you got it, some rear end in a top hat from space showed up and gave you strict instructions on how to use the ring and what it can and cannot do, you'd never try anything kind of nuts.

I would specifically try all the things he told me it cannot do. Buuuut maybe that's just me.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It's like if you spent your life, from a child, in a strict wizard school. You know in order for a spell to work you have to make THESE precise movements, and THESE exact pronounced words, or else the whole thing just fizzles.

Compared to a sorcerer or someone with innate magic, would just be throwing poo poo together and see what sticks, not knowing there are "supposed" to be limitations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
There's a big difference between "We designed it not to do that" and "We didn't design it to do that"

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

This is something that goes back a long way:

I seem to remember the advertisements for X-ray glasses, Atlas weightlifting, and cheap rings being in the back of comics not on the cover.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Resolution: give all QC-failed Power Rings to cats. They can deal with it better, having extra lives.

Unrelated:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Ygolonac posted:

Resolution: give all QC-failed Power Rings to cats. They can deal with it better, having extra lives.

Unrelated:

What's this from?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ygolonac posted:

Unrelated:

Is that falcon summoning Horus?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

10 Beers posted:

What's this from?

I think it’s actually from a lovely Wolverine and Black Cat mini.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

I think it’s actually from a lovely Wolverine and Black Cat mini.

Claws wasn't that bad, just baffling that someone thought it needed to exist.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
All this talk about Baz makes me think of the Hellraiser comic series from a few years back. I don't have the panels to post unfortunately. Due to a very long string of events, Harry D'Amour from Lord of Illusions is the new Pinhead. Anyways, at one point he gets summoned by some people and they're all "nyah nyah, we put you in a magic circle so you can't touch us with your demonic powers!" And D'Amour is all "well, good thing magic circles don't stop lead" and pulls out a gun and shoots them, thinking "good thing I didn't put all my eggs in THAT basket!"

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

Zore posted:

Isn't Baz like the fifth or sixth human Green Lantern? How are there so many of them running around at the same time? I thought the whole conceit of the lanterns was there was like 1 per 'sector' of space and sectors were gently caress-off huge.

To be fair, this is a planet of loving morons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Ms. Marvel just stopped her first crime

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 1, 2018

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

Makes me think of that whole deal from Earth X where all the god characters are really super-evolved aliens with unlimited power, only they're molded by the beliefs of others. So characters like Thor have no idea that they're secretly cut off at the knees.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ygolonac posted:

Giving Power Rings to cats starts with Dex Starr and at no point goes to a Green Power Ring.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

Giving Power Rings to cats starts with Dex Starr and at no point goes to a Green Power Ring.

Cats get Red Rings. Squirrels, planets, broccoli and mathematical equations get Green Rings.

Space Ganesha gets a Blue one.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

From Ren and Stimpy Show #6. This is the first time Dan Slott wrote Spider-Man.

His opinions certainly changed over time, hadn't they.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bought that comic from a freakin newsstand! There's a bit further in parodying the whole Spidey-trapped-under-rubble bit, where he's like, "Got to do it for my third grade math teacher! And Otto Flippa, Incan God of Ties!"

Otto Flippa's head is an upside down Beetle

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Gavok posted:

From Ren and Stimpy Show #6. This is the first time Dan Slott wrote Spider-Man.

His opinions certainly changed over time, hadn't they.

Because when you think "Spider-Man," you think "disco ball."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Selachian posted:

Because when you think "Spider-Man," you think "disco ball."

I had that issue. It had...issues.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I had that issue. It had...issues.

Everyone had that issue. The holographic cover meant it would be worth a lot of money some day!

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

its where i learned about dragonman!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hello I love this man's face as he walks into his secret MJ shrine.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Push El Burrito posted:

:stonk:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Push El Burrito posted:

When you've had a long day of trying to close down the Ghostbusters and you need a little me-time.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
But that man has no dick?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Beachcomber posted:

But that man has no dick?

Let's leave Batman out of this.

Say Nothing