Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Lethwei is Burmese kickboxing according to google.

with headbutts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Does WWE still do "shoot ref counts" where it's up to the wrestlers to not forget the spots because the ref is going to count no matter what? If they don't, when did they stop?

I know it's been a while since that one ref got fired for following those rules as instructed and someone hosed up, ending a hot match super early

Seems to depend on the ref. There have definitely been times semi recently where they would sometimes count like normal and the person got pinned when they should have kicked out/been interfered with but there’s also the much worse scenario of when the ref just awkwardly freezes halfway through the third count and has to scramble to make up an excuse for doing so

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Does WWE still do "shoot ref counts" where it's up to the wrestlers to not forget the spots because the ref is going to count no matter what? If they don't, when did they stop?

I know it's been a while since that one ref got fired for following those rules as instructed and someone hosed up, ending a hot match super early

IIRC last year Owens beat AJ for the US title in a match Owens was booked to lose when the ref did a 3 count when he wasn't supposed to.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
IIRC isnt there a standing over from Vince that all refs are to treat 3 counts as shoot and to go with it?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Unless it turns out they didn't want you to count three, and they fire you for it, like they did that one ref during the ECW years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There’s that Jericho having to DQ himself moment with Neville we talked about recently. The ref didn’t count the 3.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Watching some old PWG and holy poo poo there's a third Jackson brother?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jack Anderson posted:

Watching some old PWG and holy poo poo there's a third Jackson brother?

I was hoping you were talking about when Kevin Steen wrestler with them in young bucks attire cause it was cracking me up but yeah apparently the youngest brother is named Malachi which is weird for a name. I had no idea he existed either and he looks like a 50/50 mix of his brothers

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I was hoping you were talking about when Kevin Steen wrestler with them in young bucks attire cause it was cracking me up but yeah apparently the youngest brother is named Malachi which is weird for a name. I had no idea he existed either and he looks like a 50/50 mix of his brothers

Unfortunately he was botchier than his brothers and I think he got his bell rung really bad and had to retire

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 29, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Isn't there a sister too? I can't find anything but I could have swore there was.

edit: Tab Jackson. Apparently she's a cousin.

http://prowrestling.wikia.com/wiki/Tab_Jackson

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 29, 2018

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

I assume they do for the regular employees at the office and production staff. Working at WWE is probably just like any other job if you aren't directly part of the carny show.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BubbaGrace posted:

I assume they do for the regular employees at the office and production staff. Working at WWE is probably just like any other job if you aren't directly part of the carny show.

The card's 15 years old, says so in the tweet (when he would have been in-ring talent). My guess is it covers in ring stuff but nothing else.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That’s exactly what it’s for, Lance explained it on one of his F4D episodes. It’s not supposed to cover family or home injuries/sickness; it’s just a card you hand over if you’re, like, rushed to the hospital or something during a show, and you never hear a word about the bill ever again.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I wonder if he got it cause his contract was one of the few WWE bought from WCW

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The Cameo posted:

That’s exactly what it’s for, Lance explained it on one of his F4D episodes. It’s not supposed to cover family or home injuries/sickness; it’s just a card you hand over if you’re, like, rushed to the hospital or something during a show, and you never hear a word about the bill ever again.

It's WWE's way of keeping from sued for their lovely "independent contractor" practices

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

On the latest Botchamania there was a clip of Ishimori and Chuck Taylor with some kind of botched finish. Ishimori was pissed and started slapping Chuck around. Does anyone know what was supposed to happen there and if Chuck and Ishimori still have heat?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

BubbaGrace posted:

For some epic evasiveness about this listen to Prichard in last week's Something to Wrestle (about Unforgiven 2008)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Seams posted:

For some epic evasiveness about this listen to Prichard in last week's Something to Wrestle (about Unforgiven 2008)
Seconded. Especially since, before I saw the Lance tweet, it hadn't really occurred to me that the wrestlers had actual insurance cards for the in-ring injury coverage. How is it so hard to find a group policy for the wrestlers like Bruce says if they have a policy for the part that would make wrestlers expensive to cover?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

davidbix posted:

Seconded. Especially since, before I saw the Lance tweet, it hadn't really occurred to me that the wrestlers had actual insurance cards for the in-ring injury coverage. How is it so hard to find a group policy for the wrestlers like Bruce says if they have a policy for the part that would make wrestlers expensive to cover?

POMCO looks like garbage-tier insurance akin to a discount card, so WWE just probably arranged with them to have their employees receive the cards so that they could present them to doctors/hospitals. That way WWE wouldn't have to deal with receiving 200 bills every time a wrestler had surgery. POMCO would take care of the medical billing and WWE would pay POMCO directly.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

EugeneJ posted:

POMCO looks like garbage-tier insurance akin to a discount card, so WWE just probably arranged with them to have their employees receive the cards so that they could present them to doctors/hospitals. That way WWE wouldn't have to deal with receiving 200 bills every time a wrestler had surgery. POMCO would take care of the medical billing and WWE would pay POMCO directly.
That makes more sense.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Has Kenny Omega ever had his pyro go off timed to the terminator beat?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ibexaz posted:

Has Kenny Omega ever had his pyro go off timed to the terminator beat?

if anyone could produce that feat its japan.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AkumaHokoru posted:

if anyone could produce that feat its japan.

If my local park can pull off near perfectly choreographed fireworks to music every Fourth of July I think NJPW can handle 5 beats of pyro in a row

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

If my local park can pull off near perfectly choreographed fireworks to music every Fourth of July I think NJPW can handle 5 beats of pyro in a row

that's still different firework rigs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What caused the fight between Nash and Piper?

Also did Lawler signing with and appearing on WWE TV hurt or help Memphis?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 4, 2018

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also did Lawler sig ing with and appearing on WWE TV hurt or help Memphis?

i'd say it just hastened the inevitable more than anything. the most i saw that memphis got in return were a couple brief appearances by pre-the rock rocky and the truth commission, who weren't really ever a big deal.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

shiksa posted:

i'd say it just hastened the inevitable more than anything. the most i saw that memphis got in return were a couple brief appearances by pre-the rock rocky and the truth commission, who weren't really ever a big deal.

I seem to remember they also got Bret and Owen, as well as a short term angle with Vince (in his proto Mr.McMahon character), Taranka and Randy Savage. It's up in whole on YouTube as "McMemphis". I just dont know if it helped business much.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What caused the fight between Nash and Piper?

http://www.armpit-wrestling.com/kevin-nash-vs-roddy-piper/

quote:

WCW Monday Nitro was live on June 9 from the Fleet Center in Boston. It was the largest crowd and gate in the history of WCW up to that point. The main event was scheduled as Nash and Hall vs. Flair and Piper.

Before the match, the two teams met backstage to plan the layout. Nash and Hall said that whatever they do, they shouldn’t jumpstart it because then they’d have nowhere to go. So the plan was to get heat on Piper, leading to the hot tag to Flair, who would clean house and lead to a post match brawl.

When the match started, Piper appeared to abandon the plan and charged at the nWo from the start. Nash thought Piper was going into business for himself, and didn’t really sell for Piper’s offense. To make matters worse, Piper looked very bad in the ring. After all that, Piper called for the finish way too early, just halfway into a match that was scheduled for twelve minutes.

Because of the early finish, the post match brawl dragged way too long (to fill time) and looked bad. It was perhaps the worst match of the year up to that point, and Piper was receiving much of the blame.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Is it true that Kawada hates Koreans

Signor
Oct 10, 2005
Huzzah!
If someone wanted to get into Rush, where would be the best place to start?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Signor posted:

But seriously, as a newbie to Lucha, I'd recommend just following his feud with LA Park from LA Park showing up in CMLL.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

But seriously, as a newbie to Lucha, I'd recommend just following his feud with LA Park from LA Park showing up in CMLL.

he didnt ask for suggestions how to get into RUSH

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Signor posted:

Watch the finals of the Gran Alternativa tournament where Park returns and then watch the Park matches. If you want more watch Rush vs Mr. Niebla from Arena Puebla last year for world class heeling.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Probably. The history of Japan and Korea is not good and there is a whole cottage industry based around denying that Imperial Japan was into rape and genocide. If you remember those "A Politically incorrect guide to The Civil War" books where it tried to argue there was nothing wrong with slavery imagine that but a best seller and people earnestly believing it with little push back.

So given what we know about history (It's bad and sad, op. Don't google comfort women) and given what we know about Wrestlers (Dumb as poo poo, reactionary and proud of it) and given what we know about Kawada (Angry Japanese man who likes to hit things hard) I'd place a good bet on Kawada being a racist against Koreans. On the other hand he was billed as being from Seoul when during his excursion to Stampede Wrestling at the start of his career, which isn't an indication of anything given how he wouldn't be the first racist to have that done to them as a rib. Other than that I haven't been able to find anything like a story about him hating Koreans.

Nothing unique to Japan, mind. Ask any right wing Brit about the Ireland and you'd probably get a similar reaction.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Smoking Crow posted:

If there is such a rumor, it likely stems from his time in Stampede where they treated him like crap and, like Gonzo said, billed him from Seoul. I'll bet if anything he's more of a "proud Japanese man" than a guy who hates Koreans, so he took offense to not being billed from Japan, among other things.

There's also a picture of Kawada shaking hands with Zeus after a match, so it's doubtful.

EDIT: A quick Japanese google search doesn't bring up anything about him hating Koreans, either.

finalcake fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 5, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

He used to have some backwards views about women wrestling but he admitted to being wrong and walked them back at one of his Holy War shows. I've heard nothing about him hating Koreans though.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I've heard that he hated all gaijins. Like I heard that him shaking Stan Hansen's hand at his retirement show was a big deal because it meant Hansen was the only gaijin he has ever respected in his entire life or something

I can kind of see where these rumors come from considering his lovely calgary excursion and his wrestling and irl persona being bitter rear end in a top hat for so long

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

I've heard that he hated all gaijins. Like I heard that him shaking Stan Hansen's hand at his retirement show was a big deal because it meant Hansen was the only gaijin he has ever respected in his entire life or something

I can kind of see where these rumors come from considering his lovely calgary excursion and his wrestling and irl persona being bitter rear end in a top hat for so long

That's the story I've heard.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Did Low Ki rip a dudes ear off or was it a work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Did Kawada not work much in Noah because he was loyal to Baba or was there another reason?