Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Another wrinkle; the StarViper says "While you perform a barrel roll," emphasis mine. The tractor beam is carried out by the player that caused it.

This is my argument; the ship is not performing the roll, one of the players is, but it's semantically picky as gently caress.

Sadly, the removal of the word 'action' from the SV card has muddied the waters significantly.

I also wonder how they would decloak; arguably they'd use the 1 bank rather than the 2 straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

"You" always refers to the ship. So there's no wrinkle.

Is there a Rules Reference for that this edtion? I know last time they put it in an FAQ.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Yeah. Right below the section on Golden Rules at the beginning it's explained in the Card Interpretation section.

Use of “You”
Many pilot and ship abilities use the word “you” to refer to the ship card’s corresponding ship. Upgrade, damage, and condition cards that use the word “you” refer to the ship to which the card has been dealt or equipped. Card effects that use “you” always refer to the ship, not the player

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

I also wonder how they would decloak; arguably they'd use the 1 bank rather than the 2 straight.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the same logic applies to decloaking. The specific wording of the starviper card overrules the standard operation of the effect in the core rules.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Hmm.

"If an ability instructs a ship to barrel roll, this is different than performing a (barrel roll) action. A ship that barrel rolls without performing the action can still perform the (barrel roll) action this round.'

So, going on that, the wording of 'perform a barrel roll' is...still unclear. The ship needs to be errata'd to use the 'barrel roll' symbol, rather than saying 'perform a barrel roll,' or use the word 'action,' to my mind. Or, the section under 'Tractor' needs to be clarified with something like 'This is not a barrel roll action, and is not affected by any pilot abilities, ship abilities, upgrades, or modifications, nor does it trigger any abilities which execute upon completing a barrel roll.'

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

How are swarms faring so far? I’ve got the itch to run Mauler w/ Outmaneuver and 6x Black Squadron Aces w/ Crack Shot (200/200), just to throw 7x TIEs on the table and look menacing as all hell :getin:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TheCenturion posted:

Hmm.

"If an ability instructs a ship to barrel roll, this is different than performing a (barrel roll) action. A ship that barrel rolls without performing the action can still perform the (barrel roll) action this round.'

So, going on that, the wording of 'perform a barrel roll' is...still unclear. The ship needs to be errata'd to use the 'barrel roll' symbol, rather than saying 'perform a barrel roll,' or use the word 'action,' to my mind. Or, the section under 'Tractor' needs to be clarified with something like 'This is not a barrel roll action, and is not affected by any pilot abilities, ship abilities, upgrades, or modifications, nor does it trigger any abilities which execute upon completing a barrel roll.'

Or just add the word "action" to the Starviper so that microthrusters only apply to when you actually perform the action.

As it stands, it just says "barrel roll" so it does look like it applies to anything that's a barrel roll.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ConfusedUs posted:

Or just add the word "action" to the Starviper so that microthrusters only apply to when you actually perform the action.

As it stands, it just says "barrel roll" so it does look like it applies to anything that's a barrel roll.

Seriously, I have zero clue why they took it out in the first place.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

ConfusedUs posted:

FFG gonna FFG.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Devlan Mud posted:

FFG gonna FFG.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

:perfect:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

I would kill to have a patch of that.

We had our Aussie "illegal" Store Championship today. I went undefeated with this.

"Whisper" (52)
Juke (4)
Darth Vader (14)

Soontir Fel (52)
Juke (4)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (28)
Barrage Rockets (6)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (28)
Barrage Rockets (6)

Total: 194

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Switching from Redline to 2 bombers worked like a dream. Go for the bombers and Whisper and Soontir tear up the board and vice versa. With 2 greens and focus every turn they are pretty drat tanky and really good blockers.

Did you miss the stealth device on Whisper at all? Every time I leave it out, I really wish I had it.

Maybe drop one of the Bombers to Wampa to keep the bid low?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
gently caress that, be a man and upgrade those bombers to Alphas!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Did you miss the stealth device on Whisper at all? Every time I leave it out, I really wish I had it.

Maybe drop one of the Bombers to Wampa to keep the bid low?

Honestly, stealth device would have been a waste. I had Whisper blank out on 5 dice twice and 4 dice once for 2 damage. My greens were pure trash the whole day. Arc dodging like a mad man after taking any damage with Soontir and Whisper really frustrated people.

Moving last was much more valuable than have 1 temporary green die.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Been playing around with this idea for a Scum list

Dengar (64)
Expert Handling (6)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
Punishing One (8)
R3 Astromech (3)

Boba Fett (80)
Fearless (3)
Proton Rockets (7)
Perceptive Copilot (10)
Marauder (3)
Han Solo (Scum) (4)

Total: 197

Can't help but think I'd be better with Guri instead of Dengar. Not sure the Prockets are worth it on Boba either, very situational but good in those situations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Ok, so I'm confuzzled about how Ion works in 2e. The 'Ion' section of the rules reference is, to my eyes, poorly written.

Is the idea that when a ship receives an Ion token, it keeps it until it hits the threshold for it's ship size, and doesn't lose it until the end of the turn when it executes it's Ion maneuver?

i.e. a small base ship is given one ion token by an ion turret during the engagement phase of round 1. It keeps the token at the end of the round, and at the beginning of round 2, is ionized, and does all of the normal 'I've been ionized' stuff. At the end of round 2, it clears all ion tokens, even new ones that it's gained during round 2.

A medium base ship is given one ion token by an ion turret during the engagement phase of round 1. Nothing happens, but it holds onto the ion token. Round 2 engagement phase, it's shot again, gets a second token. Holds onto both. At the beginning of round 3, it's considered 'ionized,' and does the ionized stuff. At the end of round 3, it loses all ion tokens, including ones it gained during round 3.

A large base ship is given one ion token in round 1. Keeps it, nothing happens. Given a second ion token in round two. Keeps it, nothing happens. Given a third ion token in round 3. Now, at the beginning of round 4, it's ionized. At the end of round 4, it loses all ion tokens, including ones gained during round 4.

Or is the idea that Ion is utterly useless?
Small base ship gets five ion tokens during the engagement phase of round 1. Said small-base ship has already moved and shot this round, so at the end of the round, all the ion tokens go away, and nothing happens.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Check the ion rules on page 14 of the rules reference.

You keep ion tokens until you are ionized (aka you have enough to trigger the forced 1-forward move). Then, after you do the 1-forward move, you remove all the tokens at the end of that activation (aka after you move/do your action)

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Check the ion rules on page 14 of the rules reference.

You keep ion tokens until you are ionized (aka you have enough to trigger the forced 1-forward move). Then, after you do the 1-forward move, you remove all the tokens at the end of that activation (aka after you move/do your action)

Ok, I'm dumb. For some reason, in my head, I kept visualizing Ion tokens as round, maybe because the symbol itself is round, but they're diamond. So, by definition, you keep them until something clears them, be it a card effect or because you're told to clear them at the end of the turn you've done your Ion Maneuver. So that straightens that out.

Thank you!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Yeah Ion is not bad at all now, shame it's a blue 1 and not a white 1. Been using Kavil with an Ion Turret and he's really really annoying.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Aramoro posted:

Yeah Ion is not bad at all now, shame it's a blue 1 and not a white 1. Been using Kavil with an Ion Turret and he's really really annoying.

Yeah, I mean on one hand, when you're ionized, nothing to do but sit and chill. On the other hand, I'd imagine not being able to maneuver is pretty stressful.

All in all though, I like the idea of more or less leaving your fate in your own hands. Yesterday, I was trying out an Oicunn/Vader list, and it was the first time I'd seriously flown a Tie Adv. At first, I thought that the Tie Adv's ship ability plus a Fire Control System was insanely strong. Then, we redid the match with the same lists, and my opponent did a better job keeping me from actually being able to shoot the guy I had target locked, and suddenly the Tie Adv was surprisingly anemic. So yeah, it's powerful, IF you make everything happen right. I love that.

Decimators still suck when your first crit to get past your shields is Hull Breach. They suck even move when your third or fourth is...another hull breach. Also, I think I read Intimidate wrong; it doesn't drop a defense die against the Decimator; it makes you drop a defense die PERIOD while you're at range zero to the Decimator.

Also, I figured out what was bugging me about the Rules Reference. It assumes you have perfect knowledge of the game, except for the specific rule you're looking up. So, the Ion entry assumes you're perfectly aware that Ion is a diamond token, and therefore doesn't clear automatically at any point, and goes from there. So, if you're ever confused about an entry in the Rules Ref, start working backwards on your own, and you'll either figure it out, or run into mutually incompatible wording on a subject.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TheCenturion posted:

Also, I figured out what was bugging me about the Rules Reference. It assumes you have perfect knowledge of the game, except for the specific rule you're looking up. So, the Ion entry assumes you're perfectly aware that Ion is a diamond token, and therefore doesn't clear automatically at any point, and goes from there. So, if you're ever confused about an entry in the Rules Ref, start working backwards on your own, and you'll either figure it out, or run into mutually incompatible wording on a subject.

While there are absolutely instances of what you're talking about, ion is not one of them.

To understand ion, all you have to do is go read the section headed "ion"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ions preventing you from doing any action except Focus on the turn up take the Ion maneuver is a huge buff, even considering the power level decreases. In 1e, you could Ion something then it would still use PTL to boost/roll or whatever. Now, discounting things like Advanced Sensors and Supernatural Reflexes, you are stuck where you land. Even those two abilities are limited, since you can only take one action or it requires a resource to be spent.

Hopefully Ion stays relevant.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I saw a post on Reddit the other day where Moralo Eval with Static Discharge Vanes received that crit that gives ion and was directly behind an X-Wing.

So that's a free ion passed to the X-Wing every round. Moralo can just bump into its butt every round and walk it off the board. Then fly off the board himself and come back on.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I saw a post on Reddit the other day where Moralo Eval with Static Discharge Vanes received that crit that gives ion and was directly behind an X-Wing.

So that's a free ion passed to the X-Wing every round. Moralo can just bump into its butt every round and walk it off the board. Then fly off the board himself and come back on.

I did something similar to Fenn Rau with Kavil and Constable Zuvio, Ion'd him once then got all up in him with the Space Tug, just kept Ioning and Space Tugging him till he died. he just couldn't stop it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Ions preventing you from doing any action except Focus on the turn up take the Ion maneuver is a huge buff, even considering the power level decreases. In 1e, you could Ion something then it would still use PTL to boost/roll or whatever. Now, discounting things like Advanced Sensors and Supernatural Reflexes, you are stuck where you land. Even those two abilities are limited, since you can only take one action or it requires a resource to be spent.

On the flip side, being able to dodge the actual ion effects is huge for more agile ships. Taking 1 hit is no longer a death sentence with Soontir, for example, since it's just 1 damage and no tokens.

I think they did a pretty good job with how it works, other than ion torpedoes which seem absolutely terrible.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 1, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Gate posted:

On the flip side, being able to dodge the actual in effects is huge for more agile ships. Taking 1 hit is no longer a death sentence with Soontir, for example, since it's just 1 damage and no tokens.

I think they did a pretty good job with how it works, other than ion torpedoes which seem absolutely terrible.

Yeah. I think the meta for ions will shift to having at least two cheaper cannons/turrets or a way to supercharge a single ion like Kavil or even Jan Ors to a lesser degree. If you're going to ion, you want to be able to ensure it does something.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

ConfusedUs posted:

Aramoro posted:

I did something similar to Fenn Rau with Kavil and Constable Zuvio, Ion'd him once then got all up in him with the Space Tug, just kept Ioning and Space Tugging him till he died. he just couldn't stop it.

This sounds extremely unfun to play against, like NPE levels, imo.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, but the Moralo one only worked because he got a crit that ionized the ship. Not really something to plan for when listbuilding.
The second one, well, if you're Fenn Rau and you haven't dodged the arcs you're going to have a bad time.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

In 1E many of the ships would shrug off ion all day unless you also dealt a stress.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

Yes, but luckily it requires a really unlikely set of circumstances.

One of the ships must get the ion crit.
That ship must also have static discharge vanes.
That ship must be behind the target ship.
That ship, if it's not Moralo with a remaining charge, must judge its maneuvers perfectly to avoid going off the board itself.
That ship has to live long enough to 1-forward to the board edge.
The target ship can't have advanced sensors or supernatural reflexes plus some reposition action.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

Not really, if you're dedicating 2 ships to giving someone an Ionised tugjob then they can still use their other ships to free him from the hell he's locked in.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Ion's interaction with droids is also fun and easily missed. Since you can only Focus after being ioned, Droids get no actions since they can't Focus.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

canyonero posted:

Ion's interaction with droids is also fun and easily missed. Since you can only Focus after being ioned, Droids get no actions since they can't Focus.

I had missed that and now I'm almost certain that it's the reason the calculate action was created.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I believe we will see some calculate shenanigans with the Separatist faction. Most of their troops are droids.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

ConfusedUs posted:

Yes, but luckily it requires a really unlikely set of circumstances.

The target ship also has to be small base, since one ion won't disable anything larger.

I did a bunch of playtesting with the B-wing list I posted earlier, and landed on something like this:

A/SF-01 B-wing - •Ten Numb - 65
•Ten Numb - Blue Five (50)
Elusive (3)
Advanced Sensors (8)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

A/SF-01 B-wing - •Braylen Stramm - 64
•Braylen Stramm - Blade Leader (50)
Outmaneuver (6)
Advanced Sensors (8)

UT-60D U-wing - •Cassian Andor - 71
•Cassian Andor - Raised by the Rebellion (47)
Advanced Sensors (8)
Tactical Officer (2)
Kanan Jarrus (14)
Pivot Wing (Open) (0)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

I'm not super sure how I feel about HLC yet, but flying to the middle of the board and doing donuts feels fantastic, and very hard to deal with for any ship that can't easily make tight turns.

LanceKing2200 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 1, 2018

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
A friend of mine really wants to fly a list with Cassian u-wing and Luke x-wing. So, I've tried putting this together:

Cassian Andor (47)
Predator (2)
Advanced Sensors (8)
Lando Calrissian (5)
Jyn Erso (2)
Tactical Scrambler (2)
Pivot Wing (0)

Luke Skywalker (62)
Instinctive Aim (2)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Wedge Antilles (52)
Marksmanship (1)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Total: 198

but would love some better suggestions.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

TheCenturion posted:

A friend of mine really wants to fly a list with Cassian u-wing and Luke x-wing. So, I've tried putting this together:

Cassian Andor (47)
Predator (2)
Advanced Sensors (8)
Lando Calrissian (5)
Jyn Erso (2)
Tactical Scrambler (2)
Pivot Wing (0)

Luke Skywalker (62)
Instinctive Aim (2)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Wedge Antilles (52)
Marksmanship (1)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)
Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Total: 198

but would love some better suggestions.

If you're going to go big bang with Wedge with the APT then Crack Shot seems like a better choice there, for the follow up attack, obviously you can't use it on the APT. I would also go for Heightened Perception on Luke, for those times you really need to shoot first.I

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 1, 2018

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I finally started my new job and have an income, so I'm thinking of grabbing one Rebel and one Imperial conversion kit, which should convert most of my poo poo. There's some negative reviews on Amazon though, saying the kits lack parts (tokens and the like)? Is this a valid concern or are they just annoying whiners. Shield tokens seem to be a concern but like, is there a reason why the 1.0 shield tokens won't work or something? It's just blue cardboard right?

Even if I get the upgrade kits I'll need a core set, correct?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

JerikTelorian posted:

I finally started my new job and have an income, so I'm thinking of grabbing one Rebel and one Imperial conversion kit, which should convert most of my poo poo. There's some negative reviews on Amazon though, saying the kits lack parts (tokens and the like)? Is this a valid concern or are they just annoying whiners. Shield tokens seem to be a concern but like, is there a reason why the 1.0 shield tokens won't work or something? It's just blue cardboard right?

Even if I get the upgrade kits I'll need a core set, correct?

They're conversion kits. They assume you'll have everything from 1.0, tokens included. They provide you with new bases, new dials, and new cards. Very little else. It's a fuckton of content.

The people that are mad are typically mad because either:

a) they threw away all their 1.0 shield tokens, or
b) technically, second edition shield tokens are red on one side. You flip them rather than discarding them. It doesn't change a drat thing about how the game is played, but technically they're right.

I'm of the opinion that the people in B are whiny little babies. Just take a red sharpie to one side FFS.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That, or use the old tokens until you have a hundred of them from expansions like you did after two waves last edition. I wouldn't have minded shield tokens in the kits but it's literally not even close to a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Hang onto your bomb tokens from 1e too.