Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Legacy never ends. At my old job spare part sourcing meant vacuuming the ebays and whatnot for VAX hardware.

This for a lovely Siemens metro signalling system installed around the year 2000... I cant imagine the horrors of dealing with *actually* ancient systems.

Safety sensitive systems are amazing with their "if people dont die, dont ever change it" perspective. Your story is similar to the stuff ive seen with air traffic control systems. The FAA has on staff engineers that recreate parts from 1960s systems from companies that have been dead for decades. There are whole printed books at each facility on the systems errata and bugs... but they are all known, which is what matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

wargames posted:

their sub 10nm isn't going to be silicon based we think but does require EUV which is suppose to be solved with 10nm.

wait what? I didn't think the move off silicon was due for another few years yet

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

wait what? I didn't think the move off silicon was due for another few years yet

It still won't be for a few more years. They they're actively looking at things like III-V materials and other exotic stuff for gate materials and some other things, but it'll be mostly a SI substrate, with ever more elaborate poo poo deposited onto it.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

we know IBM and that group was looking at something other then silicon for 5nm and I did say after 10nm intel is going to have to switch from silicon and has invested a ton in looking for something other then silicon.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/intel-forges-ahead-to-10nm-will-move-away-from-silicon-at-7nm/

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

fishmech posted:

7.75 years since the chip came out, and no it really isn't valuable to anyone who doesn't already have a well-prepared overclocking setup to put it in.

Wikipedia bot, show me trivia.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Maybe a dumb question but are there any kind of notification systems you can be running for when 9700/9900k's drop? In a spot where I need one but all the rumors are saying the supply is going to be abysmal and I can't wait months.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
If you're in North America, Silicon Lottery does email notifs on their product pages. They're not your usual retail channel, though.

I haven't used ones on other sites, so I don't know if they work instead of ping you when it's already too late.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It *sounds* like there's going to be preorders for the 9th gen chips. The Z390 boards are supposedly going on sale a week prior to the CPUs.

But I think the source for that was WCCFTech, so take it with a *barrel* of salt - I think they were the site that said the stuff was dropping mid-September.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Quite a few retailers have blown the street date as October 8th (iirc, or maybe the 9th?) so if that's the case we should be seeing reviews and board orders real soon.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Why you guys so thirsty?

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
Because I have a 2500k that can no longer overclock as well as it once did and a motherboard with dead audio!!

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Some idiot dropped my PC while moving and I can't convince myself to buy another 8700k with it being so close to 9700.

It's me, I'm the idiot

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Hold The Ashes posted:

Some idiot dropped my PC while moving and I can't convince myself to buy another 8700k with it being so close to 9700.

It's me, I'm the idiot

I think I fried a motherboard with an i5-35xx. Great opportunity to buy up into the modern era of computing. But I had 20GB of DDR 3 ram, and it's really nice having that much ram... So I just bought an off-lease Dell i5-4570 comouter for $150. The fact that it cost less than buying the RAM alone made it an easy choice. I'm mostly just trying to hold out for RAM prices to crash again before upgrading.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hold The Ashes posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot
You're sure it's the CPU that's the problem?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Winks posted:

Because I have a 2500k that can no longer overclock as well as it once did and a motherboard with dead audio!!

Sounds like a dying motherboard! I guess they're even more expensive now?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

LRADIKAL posted:

Sounds like a dying motherboard! I guess they're even more expensive now?

Any surviving SB/IB Z-boards are uber expensive now as their production has been discontinued since 2013, almost all will be out of warranty by 2016 and there will always be people with more money than sense propping up dying old rigs.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
my open-box X99 motherboard only worked 2 years and I need a replacement, hope it didn't blow the processor or the RAM (probably OK tho)

$100 EVGA X99 FTWs is pretty rad and I ordered a couple spare boards for encoding stuff, but the 9900K is the obvious win for single-thread-leaning gaming (which is more gaming than people will admit).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
TPU is claiming there's a Z399 and X599 in the pipe for Intel's next HEDT offerings. Z399 running a 20/22 core chip, with X599 running really stupidly expensive chips.

Honestly, if I were Intel, I'd offer a 20 core chip with no hyperthreading as the "just eat more chicken and ramen for a while" option, since you'd really be hard-pressed to find something that would saturate 20 cores in the foreseeable future.

At this point, though - I think Intel just wants to lock down as many *99s as they can before AMD uses them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

god damnit AMD, look what youve started

https://videocardz.com/newz/intels-9th-gen-core-i9-packaging-teased

(also this is probably fake? i hope?)

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Cygni posted:

god damnit AMD, look what youve started

https://videocardz.com/newz/intels-9th-gen-core-i9-packaging-teased

(also this is probably fake? i hope?)

D12 boxing?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'll take the $100 discount to not have the crazy box. AMD Threadripper crew was mad when I said the same thing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Dodecahedron packaging a 12 thread product owns, gently caress the haters.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

K8.0 posted:

Dodecahedron packaging a 12 thread product owns, gently caress the haters.

i have bad news

or... good? i guess?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

wargames posted:

D12 boxing?

These chicks don't even know the shape of my brand.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Rexxed posted:

I'll take the $100 discount to not have the crazy box. AMD Threadripper crew was mad when I said the same thing.
I got a Threadripper recently, and the box made me mad. Obnoxious as hell to unwrap.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

TPU is claiming there's a Z399 and X599 in the pipe for Intel's next HEDT offerings. Z399 running a 20/22 core chip, with X599 running really stupidly expensive chips.

Honestly, if I were Intel, I'd offer a 20 core chip with no hyperthreading as the "just eat more chicken and ramen for a while" option, since you'd really be hard-pressed to find something that would saturate 20 cores in the foreseeable future.

At this point, though - I think Intel just wants to lock down as many *99s as they can before AMD uses them.

Coffee Lake-X when?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I got a Threadripper recently, and the box made me mad. Obnoxious as hell to unwrap.

It seemed like it would be a lot of trash from it. If packaging isn’t easy to break down and recycle I get annoyed now because the trash only gets picked up once every 2 weeks whereas the recycling is weekly here.

Plain brown boxes with recyclable plastic inserts is all we need god dammit.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

Coffee Lake-X when?

Gonna be called Cascade Lake and the rumors were initially by end of year, but probably going to be impacted by the 14nm shortage cause the dies are huge.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

Gonna be called Cascade Lake and the rumors were initially by end of year, but probably going to be impacted by the 14nm shortage cause the dies are huge.

I thought Cascade Lake was going to be another mesh chip?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

I thought Cascade Lake was going to be another mesh chip?

yeah it is, just like Skylake X/SP. i dont think intel is gonna go back to ring for HEDT, but who knows.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

yeah it is, just like Skylake X/SP. i dont think intel is gonna go back to ring for HEDT, but who knows.

I just want them to go back to re-socketing client chips onto the HEDT platform for the extra clock speed. If Coffee Lake-X hit the same +200 over the client platform that Kaby Lake-X did, that should put golden sample chips up near 5.5 GHz.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

oh my bad, i didnt think you were talkin about a KLX situation

i wonder how cheap those things are gonna get in a few years, especially the i5

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

D O D E C A H E D R O N
I n s i d e

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

PLEASE,

PURCHASE
THE
D O D E C A H E D R O N

mewse
May 2, 2006

an actual dog posted:

PLEASE,

PURCHASE
THE
D O D E C A H E D R O N

:lol:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Rexxed posted:

I love this post because that's not how pricing works

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

an actual dog posted:

I love this post because that's not how pricing works

You got me, slugger. But I'm on to you, actual dogs can't type.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rexxed posted:

You got me, slugger. But I'm on to you, actual dogs can't type.

Unless you admit it!!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

More problems with ME: http://blog.ptsecurity.com/2018/10/intel-me-manufacturing-mode-macbook.html

Macs had left the CPU in "Manufacturing Mode" which made bad things possible:

quote:

By exploiting CVE-2018-4251, an attacker could write old versions of Intel ME (such as versions containing vulnerability INTEL-SA-00086) to memory without needing an SPI programmer or access to the HDA_SDO bridge—in other words, without physical access to the computer. Thus, a local vector is possible for exploitation of INTEL-SA-00086, which enables running arbitrary code in ME.

Notably, in the notes for the INTEL-SA-00086 security bulletin, Intel does not mention enabled Manufacturing Mode as a method for local exploitation in the absence of physical access. Instead, the company incorrectly claims that local exploitation is possible only if access settings for SPI regions have been misconfigured. So to keep users safe, we decided to describe how to check the status of Manufacturing Mode and how to disable it.
It's weird because it appears that it only took a lot of effort to discover because all of this stuff isn't documented publicly, but it should have been really obvious to Intel that they should watch out for / warn OEMs about this.

It's also weird that Intel either didn't realize that it could be a vector for exploiting the previous vulnerability or is so reluctant to discuss the details of ME that it intentionally omitted it from the bulletin and claimed the vulnerability required physical access.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well gently caress me, I didn't realize we were potentially this close to 9th gen now. I was looking to get a refurbished Ivy-Haswell system for VR stuff but at this point I might as well just bite the bullet and get the first new computer since the C2Q-Q6600. C'mon, spill the beans intel.