Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Spiteski posted:

Double post but:

Holy poo poo I was wrong.

I haven't actually played it but I know it by reputation as "that game with a cute kid and dog on the cover that is actually about graphic dismemberment."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Spiteski posted:

Second game was another platformer that may have been earlier, I remember it being very similar in style and around the same time (or a little more modern) as the early Prince of Persia game but having scifi weapons and a spaceship/sci fi car that I think transports the protagonist back in time and you need to get back to it.
You're off on some details but you're thinking of Flashback: The Quest For Identity.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

The Joe Man posted:

You're off on some details but you're thinking of Flashback: The Quest For Identity.
Nice!
Oh man that starting sequence is everything I remember! It's much older than I thought, but that snazzy outfit he's wearing is unmistakable.
Not sure where I thought the time travel stuff is from. I might be conflating with another game from around that time.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Spiteski posted:

Ok a couple games trying to remember from when I was younger. Would be around the late 90s early 2000s for most of these.

First game was about a kid, it was the sort of static-scene game with animated characters running around the frame a-la Another World, but much more kid focused. The enemies were a sort of shadow creature that would goop out of shadows and whatnot.

Second game was another platformer that may have been earlier, I remember it being very similar in style and around the same time (or a little more modern) as the early Prince of Persia game but having scifi weapons and a spaceship/sci fi car that I think transports the protagonist back in time and you need to get back to it.

Third game was an RTS that I can remember clearly the starting video but the name of the game is JUST out of my reach. Sci-fi RTS, with three factions but one was just a mix of the other two. The starting video was following two dog fighting fighters (one looks like sort of flying half circle) as they fly across a battlefield before blowing up a big laser/radar disc weapon that's pointing into space. Video ends with a bomb being dropped/fired at the planet from orbit that destroys the planet in a typical ring of fire explosion. It's driving me nuts.

is the rts dark reign?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RezinSRBLCk

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Yes! That's definitely the video!
Turns out there was even a sequel game, which looks pretty cool

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Spiteski posted:

Nice!
Oh man that starting sequence is everything I remember! It's much older than I thought, but that snazzy outfit he's wearing is unmistakable.
Not sure where I thought the time travel stuff is from. I might be conflating with another game from around that time.

Delphine also did Another World (which has a car in the intro) and Future Wars (which has time travel) so maybe you kinda mushed them together. I thought the Flashback guy was a time traveller but no I guess not!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

baka kaba posted:

Delphine also did Another World (which has a car in the intro) and Future Wars (which has time travel) so maybe you kinda mushed them together. I thought the Flashback guy was a time traveller but no I guess not!

He (Conrad) certainly traveled to different, shittier games in the series, like Fade to Black, a game I'll never forgive for enticing me to buy instead of System Shock 2, a game I have yet to actually, finally play and 'get into' :argh:

Also, w/r/t Mario 4 and 'Lost Levels' being dumped onto a NES cart and rented out from a super rural convenience/video store, my best friend and I had a similar experience, before we even met each other, that spanned probably 200 miles.

Growing up in the city, I always had a pretty good selection of where to rent games from. One place, Video King, had a few games that other places didn't, and was one of the few places that rented out Master System titles, so I always found it neat to check that place out. One day, I'm there, looking through the games for something to rent, and I see a clear case with a blue NES cart on it. In black ink is written Baby Mario. I think 'holy poo poo, I have to get this!' so I do (well, my mom does, I was probably 7).

I bring it home, play it, and wow! Super fun! You're a baby, shaking a rattle at various animal enemies, who then become inflated and you can use them as platforms or, if you hit their inflated, floating sprites from the side, projectiles. I play the game a ton, get really, REALLY far, and then a few days later we return it.

I don't end up going back to Video King before it closes years later, so I never play it again. That was probably 90-91.

Skip ahead to 2005, and I'm softmodding original Xboxes for $20 a pop. My gf at the time says her childhood friend would love to have his modded, and so I invite him over to talk video games, and I even walk him through the process, because he's interested in that sort of thing.

So, we get talking about our best, worst, and weirdest NES memories. He mentions that, when he visited his relatives who lived about 3-4 hours outside of the city in rural nowhere, he once rented quite an interesting title from the local convenience store there. He said it was a super weird version of Mario called 'Baby Mario', except he's realized since then that it was obviously a bootleg... as the title was just scribbled on it (the blue cartridge) in black marker.

:aaaaa:

So cue me immediately knowing what he's talking about and validating his sort of fuzzy and memories of it by running through everything I remembered about it. Up until that moment, I think we had both been almost ready to put that game's memory into the 'I might've dreamt it, or am wildly misremembering a other, more common game'. But no! Instant camaraderie because of this weird, hosed up (but fun) Japanese bootleg, of which we had both, separated by hundreds of miles (km to us, here in eastern Canada), played the exact same copy.

:aaaaa:

Days later, after some research, one of us (I think it was him) discovered that it was Konami's Japan-only "Bio-Miracle". Actually, while looking this up, I can't recall if it had been put on an actual NES cart, or it was just a pirated Famicom cart with the adapter. The adapter wouldn't necessarily stick out in my mind, since I also grew up owning the very-popular-in-eastern-canada 31-in-1 cart, which already was a Famicom cart with the adapter.

Anyway, that's my story about weird, pirated NES games back in the day :shobon:

Tl;dr - a friend and I both realized we played the exact same copy of a very rare and weird game, separate by a fairly long distance, 15 years before we actually met.

Edit: ooooook, weird. This video actually sucks, but the guy's story at the beginning is quite similar to mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-gTvlDSH7c

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 23, 2018

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Alright, this one might be kind of a challenge because it’s not a game but rather a story element in a game.
I’m 99% certain that the game was a JRPG, one that I never actually played but had an element that I thought was super interesting. There was basically a superweapon that took the form of a spear or pillar that was launched at an enemy, and on impact proceeded to rapidly turn everything in a massive radius into salt. Like, a literal grey goo scenario, but with salt instead of nanomachines.

A few things where my memory is fuzzy,
*pretty sure the game had a mostly medieval setting.
*pretty sure said weapon was only used once and then banned.
*Almost certain the game has been LP’d on the forums at least once because I’m pretty sure the first time I read about it was an LParchive link.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Alright, this one might be kind of a challenge because it’s not a game but rather a story element in a game.
I’m 99% certain that the game was a JRPG, one that I never actually played but had an element that I thought was super interesting. There was basically a superweapon that took the form of a spear or pillar that was launched at an enemy, and on impact proceeded to rapidly turn everything in a massive radius into salt. Like, a literal grey goo scenario, but with salt instead of nanomachines.

A few things where my memory is fuzzy,
*pretty sure the game had a mostly medieval setting.
*pretty sure said weapon was only used once and then banned.
*Almost certain the game has been LP’d on the forums at least once because I’m pretty sure the first time I read about it was an LParchive link.

The Salt Pale from the Trails series by Nihon Falcom?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Yup, that was it, thanks!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've got a doozy for y'all (unless y'all are experts on classic mac games). It was a black-and-white game that came on an old shareware disc, where you were trying to get a character from one side of the map to the other, but the only things you could do were move, jump, and lay bombs, which you needed to use to cut through the terrain to get across the map, but if you were caught in the explosion radius they'd kill you too. I don't remember if there were enemies, it had a side-on view, and I want to say your character had a big cowboy hat on, but I'm not sure about that one.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I'm remember a mechanic from a game that might be really obvious - I think it was a Bethesda game, maybe even Skyrim, but like, it was an RPG/third person action game that sometimes required you to 3d view items you picked up for clues. Like you'd spin them around and a symbol on them would start glowing and the game would broadly indicate that you were getting "warm", until you flipped the 3d item the "right" way and got the relevant clue. The controller would vibrate, too, I think .Was it an AC game? Alpha Protocol? I'm going nuts

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's quite a few games that do that. Both Uncharted and the new Tomb Raiders have the "flip around item for extra clues" thing, for one.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Frog Act posted:

So I'm remember a mechanic from a game that might be really obvious - I think it was a Bethesda game, maybe even Skyrim, but like, it was an RPG/third person action game that sometimes required you to 3d view items you picked up for clues. Like you'd spin them around and a symbol on them would start glowing and the game would broadly indicate that you were getting "warm", until you flipped the 3d item the "right" way and got the relevant clue. The controller would vibrate, too, I think .Was it an AC game? Alpha Protocol? I'm going nuts

if you're thinking it was like an assassin's creed game it was probably the first lord of the rings shadow of mordor game

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ItBreathes posted:

I've got a doozy for y'all (unless y'all are experts on classic mac games). It was a black-and-white game that came on an old shareware disc, where you were trying to get a character from one side of the map to the other, but the only things you could do were move, jump, and lay bombs, which you needed to use to cut through the terrain to get across the map, but if you were caught in the explosion radius they'd kill you too. I don't remember if there were enemies, it had a side-on view, and I want to say your character had a big cowboy hat on, but I'm not sure about that one.

I'm pretty sure I played this on my friend's mac growing up, but I don't remember the title.

Frog Act posted:

It definitely was not Alpha Protocol. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWE_YS5Z9Gw&t=20s

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

I want to say this was in either Eternal Darkness or one of the Resident Evils, but I can't say with certainty. It's entirely possible the mechanic has been used several times.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ItBreathes posted:

It's not black and white but Gold Digger?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Frog Act posted:

L.A. Noire had something similar, too.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Here, have what I suspect may be a difficult one :

Old DOS or early windows era game I had on shareware. It had black background, the graphics were wireframe style. I recall being in a motorcycle of some sort going around a large area or arena, full 3D because I could launch off ramps up to floating platforms and the like. I don't recall any specific objectives in the shareware version, or if there was an objective I didn't know what it was. I do remember fighting with the controls for hours and hours as a kid.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

khy posted:

Here, have what I suspect may be a difficult one :

Old DOS or early windows era game I had on shareware. It had black background, the graphics were wireframe style. I recall being in a motorcycle of some sort going around a large area or arena, full 3D because I could launch off ramps up to floating platforms and the like. I don't recall any specific objectives in the shareware version, or if there was an objective I didn't know what it was. I do remember fighting with the controls for hours and hours as a kid.

Could this be Cyberbykes?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

A quick google search reveals that everyone who plays the game has no clue what the controls are, people who have figured out the controls find them needlessly complicated, and references were made to the shareware version so I suspect that's gotta be it. I remember it being much, much darker but the vagaries of time and all.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It's not black and white but Gold Digger?

Nah. Gold digger was good too, but this wasn't tile based. You blew up nice rounded holes and had to climb up the sides to avoid getting blown up if you were trying to go down in a confined space. (There was a level you had to do this in I don't think I ever beat.)

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I have one I've been looking for for years.

I remember playing it as a kid, so I believe it was a children's game. Early Windows. I think the main screen started at the artwork of a large mansion at night, like MYST graphics. There are several sub-games, but the only one I can think of was like a 3D character poser. And somewhere along the game you speak to a large green translucent cube.

It sounds like the elements of a strange, messed up dream but I know this game was real.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I remember playing it as a kid, so I believe it was a children's game. Early Windows. I think the main screen started at the artwork of a large mansion at night, like MYST graphics. There are several sub-games, but the only one I can think of was like a 3D character poser. And somewhere along the game you speak to a large green translucent cube.

It sounds like the elements of a strange, messed up dream but I know this game was real.

the 7th guest?

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Art style looks right, but this wasn't it. My game wasn't a horror game... But I guess I'm not entirely sure what mine was. Thank you for the help though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Sounds like Mighty Math Cosmic Geometry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsEO88qF3lc&t=1053s

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

:eyepop: No way! This is totally it!

Unbelievable find. Thank you so, so much.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

You guys totally helped me with my question about glowing parts in item inspection (it was shadow of mordor hell yeah thanks) and I have a way more challenging one that has been bugging me on and off for years. It was a first person shooter game in the style of Marathon or Doom, but used the Dark Forces engine (it had proto-3d objects and stuff). It mostly took place in these big open areas that were full of small buildings, rivers, and green space as well as enemies. The enemies were almost entirely dudes in black suits or soldiers. The general premise of the game was that you were a badass soldier who had to kill all the dudes and retrieve something at the end of the level. The very first level was in a big marble-walled building with lots of American flags.

I remember one of its big features was the ability to dual wield stuff, like M16s and giant pistols. It was also very bloody for the time. I played it in the late 90s on my Macintosh after getting a long demo on a shareware disk.

This has been bothering me forever and I gave up on figuring it out long ago but maybe all is not lost

ed: lmao as soon as I made this post and started looking I found it!

"Prime Target" running in the Marathon 2 engine, released in 1996

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f78BAD7EXQ4

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 26, 2018

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Frog Act posted:

You guys totally helped me with my question about glowing parts in item inspection (it was shadow of mordor hell yeah thanks) and I have a way more challenging one that has been bugging me on and off for years. It was a first person shooter game in the style of Marathon or Doom, but used the Dark Forces engine (it had proto-3d objects and stuff). It mostly took place in these big open areas that were full of small buildings, rivers, and green space as well as enemies. The enemies were almost entirely dudes in black suits or soldiers. The general premise of the game was that you were a badass soldier who had to kill all the dudes and retrieve something at the end of the level. The very first level was in a big marble-walled building with lots of American flags.

I remember one of its big features was the ability to dual wield stuff, like M16s and giant pistols. It was also very bloody for the time. I played it in the late 90s on my Macintosh after getting a long demo on a shareware disk.

This has been bothering me forever and I gave up on figuring it out long ago but maybe all is not lost

Not sure if I'm right here, but it actually sounds like a combination of two games that you're thinking of that both used the Marathon 2 engine, Damage Incorporated and Prime Target. Damage Incorporated had big open areas with green space and rivers, whereas Prime Target had the dudes in black suits and soldiers and the first level was the US Capitol with marble walls and lots of American flags. Both had you as a badass soldier with dual wielding stuff and were gory.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Genpei Turtle posted:

Not sure if I'm right here, but it actually sounds like a combination of two games that you're thinking of that both used the Marathon 2 engine, Damage Incorporated and Prime Target. Damage Incorporated had big open areas with green space and rivers, whereas Prime Target had the dudes in black suits and soldiers and the first level was the US Capitol with marble walls and lots of American flags. Both had you as a badass soldier with dual wielding stuff and were gory.

Yeah! I was literally just typing a post about that when you mentioned it - I watched through a whole playthrough of Prime Target and didn't see the outdoor areas or the guns I remembered exactly, so I went to the Wikipedia page for it, where it mentions the game wasn't as well received as other Marathon 2 engine games like Damage Incorporated, which gave me a fuckin lightning bolt of nostalgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HnY1VHeLSA

DI was purestrain 90s rah rah discourse and I loved it so much growing up. Its much more sophisticated than I remember, though, when I was 7 I just went around shooting people, I didn't realize it was like a proto-SWAT game that gave you control over teammates and stuff. The first mission, somewhat surprisingly though, has you rescuing two black guys from a KKK compound full of dudes in robes you gib with dope guns

Thanks man!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
PC game I saw in a PC game magazine in the late 90s I think? I think it was set on a space stations and tracking the aliens using cameras was a major part of the gameplay, and the article made a big deal of how sometimes they'd attack the camera. I want to say the aliens were purple genestealer lookalikes.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Splicer posted:

PC game I saw in a PC game magazine in the late 90s I think? I think it was set on a space stations and tracking the aliens using cameras was a major part of the gameplay, and the article made a big deal of how sometimes they'd attack the camera. I want to say the aliens were purple genestealer lookalikes.

One of the Space Hulk games? They were 40k licensed games and had actual genestealers

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

That was my thought as well.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm fairly sure part of the premise was you were controlling cameras from a control room. I'm not sure if it was the main theme or just a prominent aspect but I remember it being highlighted.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I have never played it or even seen screen shots but wasn't Half Life's Natural Selection mod something like that?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Natural Selection was basically Counterstrike set in the Aliens setting, wasn't it? Marines vs. a variety of monsters.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

This doesn't sound at all like NS1 or NS2. There was a commander for each side but no cameras were involved, it played like a top-down RTS for them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Chubby Henparty posted:

I have never played it or even seen screen shots but wasn't Half Life's Natural Selection mod something like that?

Not really? For the aliens, there was no commander, but you got a HUD overlay showing you where all the other aliens were and what they were doing; for the humans, one player would enter the command pod and get a top-down, starcraft-style view of the entire level.

This part:

quote:

I'm fairly sure part of the premise was you were controlling cameras from a control room. I'm not sure if it was the main theme or just a prominent aspect but I remember it being highlighted.

Sounds like The Experiment/eXperience 113, but there were no aliens in that game and, while sci-fi, it was set on a derelict oceangoing cargo ship converted into a secret medical laboratory.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
There's also Lifeline but it was ps2 only iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

ToxicFrog posted:

Sounds like The Experiment/eXperience 113, but there were no aliens in that game and, while sci-fi, it was set on a derelict oceangoing cargo ship converted into a secret medical laboratory.